X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bennprince
    • Nov 2006

Keys To Beating the Texans - From Houston

Hey guys. It looks like we're going through some of the same things as fans. I had no idea that you guys complained so much about Losman. He's actually less thought of than David Carr is in Houston. I guess it comes with the position.

I don't know if you are catching us at a good or bad time. On the good side (for you guys) we just lost 3 players for the year including our starting RT and a DT. Rookies will start in both spots this weekend. We've now lost both starting OT's and DT's for the year. And our starting RG was arrested and tasered yesterday, but he will probably play on Sunday. Our offense isn't really clicking, but is putting together a lot of long drives. Not many points though.

On the bad side (again for you guys) we are coming off of a 3-game roadie and a big win in Jacksonville. The Texans play a lot better at home. The defense is top 5 in the league over the last 6 games and is really taking shape thanks to our first two draft picks and players starting to grasp the system. I think it is very exploitable with quick passes and screen plays. The offense is putting together long drives to keep the defense rested and this has been the biggest factor in the improvement IMO.

Eric Moulds is working out great for us as a #2 receiver. He's helped Andre Johnson out quite a bit and been a good locker room guy so far. I don't think he's going to put up the numbers to make the HOF now which is kind of disappointing to me. Probably to some of you guys also.

Keep an eye on a couple of our rookies this weekend... MLB DeMeco Ryans and TE Owen Daniels. Ryans might make the Pro Bowl as rookie. He is on or around the ball on every play. Daniels is our version of Todd Heap. The problem is that Carr is still afraid to throw over the middle of the field, so even though he's putting up decent numbers, he's way underutilized. And Mario Williams is a beast. He is hurting right now and not playing at 100%, but you can see that he is starting to get it. There aren't very many people in Houston that would trade him for Reggie "The Decoy" Bush right now.

Keys to beating the Texans this weekend:
    1.) Keep the offense off the field. A lot of 3 and outs.
    2.) Short passes that exploit the safeties and LB's coverage abilities.
    3.) Take away Andre Johnson and hope to cover up Moulds and Daniels one-on-one.
    4.) Don't let Carr bootleg or beat you with his legs. He has been running the ball very effectively again this year.
    5.) A good pass rush up the middle will stifle this offense.
    6.) Make Carr throw to the middle of the field. His comfort zone is outside the hash marks.

Best of luck and have a good, injury-free game...
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Keys To Beating the Texans - From Houston

We both stink!
    Welcome and good post!

Comment

• bennprince
      • Nov 2006

I can't speak for you, but I don't think we stink. Just a young team learning how to win. I sincerely believe Gary Kubiak is making all the right moves to build a winner.

Just a few things I forgot to mention earlier about my Bills ties... I watched Thurman Thomas play several times in high school. His school (Willowridge) was in our district and he was a Senior when I was a freshman. Also, my ex-wife's father used to play golf with Jim Kelly quite a bit before he died (ex-wife's father... not Kelly). And that pass from Wycheck went forward.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bennprince
        I can't speak for you, but I don't think we stink. Just a young team learning how to win. I sincerely believe Gary Kubiak is making all the right moves to build a winner.

Just a few things I forgot to mention earlier about my Bills ties... I watched Thurman Thomas play several times in high school. His school (Willowridge) was in our district and he was a Senior when I was a freshman. Also, my ex-wife's father used to play golf with Jim Kelly quite a bit before he died (ex-wife's father... not Kelly). And that pass from Wycheck went forward.
        Well look in the mirror the Texans are 3-6, That blows, and so have the Bills for the last 7 years(take out 1 9-7 year in between).

I didn't say anything about going in the right direction(both teams seem to be) but currently both teams stink! We will win though.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
          We will win though.
          That's the bottom line.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
            That's the bottom line.
            Well Benprince gave us the keys to victory. Little did he know that I have Jaurons email.

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

Texans are in great shape for the long run, they have a much better coach now as well.

Honestly I think Williams is gonna hang a couple sacks on us, and Demeco Ryans has been a 1 man wrecking crew. Their defense is a lot better then their record shows.

It will be a close game imo, wouldnt shock me if it went either way. Just like Thurm
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Devin
                Texans are in great shape for the long run, they have a much better coach now as well.

Honestly I think Williams is gonna hang a couple sacks on us, and Demeco Ryans has been a 1 man wrecking crew. Their defense is a lot better then their record shows.

It will be a close game imo, wouldnt shock me if it went either way. Just like Thurm
                What the ****!

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

What the ****!
                  You're my boy blue!
                  http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• bennprince
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Skooby
                    That's the bottom line.
                    Is it? And what are you basing this fact on?

As far as direction goes, I don't think we're going the same way you guys are going. Dick Jauron is about the equivelant of Dom Capers, but maybe not as smart. Your offense (with the exception of McGahee when he's healthy) is terrible. I honestly can't see you getting 200 yards this weekend. I really like your defense on paper, but they seem to be under-performing again this year.

I see us covering the spread plus 12.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Dick Jauron is about the equivelant of Dom Capers, but maybe not as smart.
                      What a dumb post. Dick Jauron is the only coach in the league to graduate from an IVY league college...

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Is it? And what are you basing this fact on?

As far as direction goes, I don't think we're going the same way you guys are going. Dick Jauron is about the equivelant of Dom Capers, but maybe not as smart. Your offense (with the exception of McGahee when he's healthy) is terrible. I honestly can't see you getting 200 yards this weekend. I really like your defense on paper, but they seem to be under-performing again this year.

I see us covering the spread plus 12.
                        Both our offenses are garbage and both our Ds are young and coming around.. We did just hold the Colts to 17 in their house. Yes our O is TERRIBLE but that is what they need to address in this offseason.

Comment

• bennprince
                          • Nov 2006

What a dumb post. Dick Jauron is the only coach in the league to graduate from an IVY league college...
                          There's smart and there's football smart...

Comment

• bennprince
                            • Nov 2006

Both our offenses are garbage and both our Ds are young and coming around.. We did just hold the Colts to 17 in their house. Yes our O is TERRIBLE but that is what they need to address in this offseason.
                            I agree that the Bills offense is garbage, but don't try to compare the two. We've moved the ball very well on a lot of good defenses. Haven't quite clicked yet, but it's going to happen soon enough.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

I agree that the Bills offense is garbage, but don't try to compare the two. We've moved the ball very well on a lot of good defenses. Haven't quite clicked yet, but it's going to happen soon enough.
                              Yeah how could I have made that comparison...

Houston is 24th in yards and 16 points a game
                              Buffalo is 31st in yards and a whole .4 less points a game at 15.6 ppg....

Comment

Working...
                              X