PDA

View Full Version : Keys To Beating the Texans - From Houston

bennprince
11-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Hey guys. It looks like we're going through some of the same things as fans. I had no idea that you guys complained so much about Losman. He's actually less thought of than David Carr is in Houston. I guess it comes with the position.

I don't know if you are catching us at a good or bad time. On the good side (for you guys) we just lost 3 players for the year including our starting RT and a DT. Rookies will start in both spots this weekend. We've now lost both starting OT's and DT's for the year. And our starting RG was arrested and tasered yesterday, but he will probably play on Sunday. Our offense isn't really clicking, but is putting together a lot of long drives. Not many points though.

On the bad side (again for you guys) we are coming off of a 3-game roadie and a big win in Jacksonville. The Texans play a lot better at home. The defense is top 5 in the league over the last 6 games and is really taking shape thanks to our first two draft picks and players starting to grasp the system. I think it is very exploitable with quick passes and screen plays. The offense is putting together long drives to keep the defense rested and this has been the biggest factor in the improvement IMO.

Eric Moulds is working out great for us as a #2 receiver. He's helped Andre Johnson out quite a bit and been a good locker room guy so far. I don't think he's going to put up the numbers to make the HOF now which is kind of disappointing to me. Probably to some of you guys also.

Keep an eye on a couple of our rookies this weekend... MLB DeMeco Ryans and TE Owen Daniels. Ryans might make the Pro Bowl as rookie. He is on or around the ball on every play. Daniels is our version of Todd Heap. The problem is that Carr is still afraid to throw over the middle of the field, so even though he's putting up decent numbers, he's way underutilized. And Mario Williams is a beast. He is hurting right now and not playing at 100%, but you can see that he is starting to get it. There aren't very many people in Houston that would trade him for Reggie "The Decoy" Bush right now.

Keys to beating the Texans this weekend:
1.) Keep the offense off the field. A lot of 3 and outs.
2.) Short passes that exploit the safeties and LB's coverage abilities.
3.) Take away Andre Johnson and hope to cover up Moulds and Daniels one-on-one.
4.) Don't let Carr bootleg or beat you with his legs. He has been running the ball very effectively again this year.
5.) A good pass rush up the middle will stifle this offense.
6.) Make Carr throw to the middle of the field. His comfort zone is outside the hash marks.

Best of luck and have a good, injury-free game...

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
We both stink!
Welcome and good post!

bennprince
11-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I can't speak for you, but I don't think we stink. Just a young team learning how to win. I sincerely believe Gary Kubiak is making all the right moves to build a winner.

Just a few things I forgot to mention earlier about my Bills ties... I watched Thurman Thomas play several times in high school. His school (Willowridge) was in our district and he was a Senior when I was a freshman. Also, my ex-wife's father used to play golf with Jim Kelly quite a bit before he died (ex-wife's father... not Kelly). And that pass from Wycheck went forward.

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I can't speak for you, but I don't think we stink. Just a young team learning how to win. I sincerely believe Gary Kubiak is making all the right moves to build a winner.

Just a few things I forgot to mention earlier about my Bills ties... I watched Thurman Thomas play several times in high school. His school (Willowridge) was in our district and he was a Senior when I was a freshman. Also, my ex-wife's father used to play golf with Jim Kelly quite a bit before he died (ex-wife's father... not Kelly). And that pass from Wycheck went forward.
Well look in the mirror the Texans are 3-6, That blows, and so have the Bills for the last 7 years(take out 1 9-7 year in between).

I didn't say anything about going in the right direction(both teams seem to be) but currently both teams stink! We will win though.

Mitchy moo
11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
We will win though.

That's the bottom line.

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 10:57 AM
That's the bottom line.
Well Benprince gave us the keys to victory. Little did he know that I have Jaurons email.
:bigwave:

Devin
11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Texans are in great shape for the long run, they have a much better coach now as well.

Honestly I think Williams is gonna hang a couple sacks on us, and Demeco Ryans has been a 1 man wrecking crew. Their defense is a lot better then their record shows.

It will be a close game imo, wouldnt shock me if it went either way. Just like Thurm :snicker:

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Texans are in great shape for the long run, they have a much better coach now as well.

Honestly I think Williams is gonna hang a couple sacks on us, and Demeco Ryans has been a 1 man wrecking crew. Their defense is a lot better then their record shows.

It will be a close game imo, wouldnt shock me if it went either way. Just like Thurm :snicker:
What the ****!

Devin
11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
What the ****!

You're my boy blue!

bennprince
11-15-2006, 11:31 AM
That's the bottom line.

Is it? And what are you basing this fact on?

As far as direction goes, I don't think we're going the same way you guys are going. Dick Jauron is about the equivelant of Dom Capers, but maybe not as smart. Your offense (with the exception of McGahee when he's healthy) is terrible. I honestly can't see you getting 200 yards this weekend. I really like your defense on paper, but they seem to be under-performing again this year.

I see us covering the spread plus 12.

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Dick Jauron is about the equivelant of Dom Capers, but maybe not as smart.
What a dumb post. Dick Jauron is the only coach in the league to graduate from an IVY league college...

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 11:34 AM

As far as direction goes, I don't think we're going the same way you guys are going. Dick Jauron is about the equivelant of Dom Capers, but maybe not as smart. Your offense (with the exception of McGahee when he's healthy) is terrible. I honestly can't see you getting 200 yards this weekend. I really like your defense on paper, but they seem to be under-performing again this year.

Both our offenses are garbage and both our Ds are young and coming around.. We did just hold the Colts to 17 in their house. Yes our O is TERRIBLE but that is what they need to address in this offseason.

bennprince
11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
What a dumb post. Dick Jauron is the only coach in the league to graduate from an IVY league college...

There's smart and there's football smart...

bennprince
11-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Both our offenses are garbage and both our Ds are young and coming around.. We did just hold the Colts to 17 in their house. Yes our O is TERRIBLE but that is what they need to address in this offseason.

I agree that the Bills offense is garbage, but don't try to compare the two. We've moved the ball very well on a lot of good defenses. Haven't quite clicked yet, but it's going to happen soon enough.

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 11:43 AM
I agree that the Bills offense is garbage, but don't try to compare the two. We've moved the ball very well on a lot of good defenses. Haven't quite clicked yet, but it's going to happen soon enough.
Yeah how could I have made that comparison...

Houston is 24th in yards and 16 points a game
Buffalo is 31st in yards and a whole .4 less points a game at 15.6 ppg....

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Right. I know.

bocephuz
11-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Keeping your less talented young team within striking distance against two of the best teams in football ( NE 19-17 / Indy 17-16) = FOOTBALL SMART

DICK AIN'T PERFECT BUT HE AIN'T STUPID

bocephuz
11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Question to Houston fan...

How do the Texans special teams look? ( is there a decent return guy?)

bennprince
11-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Question to Houston fan...

How do the Texans special teams look? ( is there a decent return guy?)

Special teams have been a big disappointment this year. Jerome Mathis got hurt in the offseason and hasn't been on the field. He just started practicing this week, but is probably headed for the IR. Dexter Wynn and/or David Anderson will be handling return duties. Neither is in the same class with Mathis. Coverage has been good aside from a punt return for TD against the Titans. K Kris Brown and P Chad Stanley have both been below-average this year and I don't expect either back next year.

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Special teams is one area the Bills excel in.

mybills
11-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Thurm, are you trying to pick a fight with the new guy? :chuckle:

welcome to the board, ben.
Here's to no injuries. :cheers:

justasportsfan
11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Bennprince. Were you guys b!tching about Carr while he was learning the ropes just like JP is doing now?

THATHURMANATOR
11-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Thurm, are you trying to pick a fight with the new guy? :chuckle:

welcome to the board, ben.
Here's to no injuries. :cheers:
No I am not.

bennprince
11-15-2006, 12:59 PM
It was about the middle of 2004 before people really started complaining about Carr. In fairness to him (and I kind of see the same things happening in Buffalo), he had a terrible coaching staff that did not really even try to develop him. And a terrible pass blocking offensive line. But most of the problems were with coaching and schemes. Under Kubiak he's looked a lot better. He's still making the same mistakes but those old habits are being slowly broken. One thing about Carr (and I don't know this about Losman) is that he plays with a ton of heart. He lays it on the line every game and takes a ton of shots. He even dished a few out last week.

justasportsfan
11-15-2006, 01:03 PM
It was about the middle of 2004 before people really started complaining about Carr. In fairness to him (and I kind of see the same things happening in Buffalo), he had a terrible coaching staff that did not really even try to develop him. And a terrible pass blocking offensive line. But most of the problems were with coaching and schemes. Under Kubiak he's looked a lot better. He's still making the same mistakes but those old habits are being slowly broken. One thing about Carr (and I don't know this about Losman) is that he plays with a ton of heart. He lays it on the line every game and takes a ton of shots. He even dished a few out last week.
Aha, same stuff Losman went through. Thought so.

BTW, welcome on board. Please tell Moulds not to spit on any of our cb's.

eyedog
11-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Interesting comments bennprince. JP also has a ****ty o-line and poor coaching, although this staff is a step ahead of last years, but thats not saying much.
As for Mario I think you guys definitely made the right choice over Bush. We had a little debate about that on this sight at the beginning of the season. I'll take a stud pass rusher over a good rb anyday.

bennprince
11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
With QB's it's all about being put into a position to win, right? Look at players who have won Super Bowls recently like Dilfer and Roethlisberger. Not great QB's but they have the supporting cast around them in regards to players, coaching, schemes, etc. I seriously doubt that Tom Brady would be winning any Super Bowls in Houston or Buffalo right now.

Yeah, a lot of people are eating crow right about now. The people in Houston that were crying for Reggie or VY were mostly University of Texas fans. Then you had all of the "sports journalists" both nationally and locally getting everyone worked into a frenzy. The people down here that really pay attention understood that Mario was the better pick for this team. We're starting to see the results of that now. The thing we weren't counting on was Domanick Davis getting hurt. With a healthy Davis, drafting Bush does nothing for this team except return kicks for $50 million. Either way, Mario is turning into a very nice player. He collapses the pocket on almost every pass play and holds up against the run very nicely. He's fighting some injuries right now but should have a decent game against the Bills offensive line.

justasportsfan
11-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Interesting comments bennprince. JP also has a ****ty o-line and poor coaching, although this staff is a step ahead of last years, but thats not saying much.
As for Mario I think you guys definitely made the right choice over Bush. We had a little debate about that on this sight at the beginning of the season. I'll take a stud pass rusher over a good rb anyday.
I wouldn't say Jauron is a bad coach this soon. It's just that they have a plan that the fans aren't happy about.

bennprince
11-15-2006, 03:00 PM
When coaches start listening to fans they'll soon be sitting next to them in the stands.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 03:06 PM
When coaches start listening to fans they'll soon be sitting next to them in the stands.

Quote of the day!!!!!

TacklingDummy
11-15-2006, 03:09 PM
This game could have 40 punts in it.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
I actually think that the Texans will win this game. I believe we will beat the Jags at home.

justasportsfan
11-15-2006, 03:16 PM
When coaches start listening to fans they'll soon be sitting next to them in the stands. Word!

eyedog
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't say Jauron is a bad coach this soon. It's just that they have a plan that the fans aren't happy about.

He's not Mularkey/Williams bad but he's nothing great either.

mybills
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
:10:

TigerJ
11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks. Buffalo can do some of that, but probably not all of it.

1.) Keep the offense off the field. A lot of 3 and outs.

It remains to be seen if the Bills can do this. Peyton Manning and a number of QBs have frustrated the Bills over the last couple years with completions on third down.

2.) Short passes that exploit the safeties and LB's coverage abilities.

Well, it's a given that Losman won't have enough time to complete a lot of deep passes on seven step drops.

3.) Take away Andre Johnson and hope to cover up Moulds and Daniels one-on-one.

If Clements and McKee play to their ability, Buffalo can do this.

4.) Don't let Carr bootleg or beat you with his legs. He has been running the ball very effectively again this year.

Buffalo may be able to control this. Spikes is gradually getting his speed and confidence back and Crowell is a monster. Fletcher is having a great season too.

5.) A good pass rush up the middle will stifle this offense.

Forget that.

6.) Make Carr throw to the middle of the field. His comfort zone is outside the hash marks.

Again, Buffalo has the DB personnel to do that and some young safeties who might be able to make him pay.

GFLuNEEDit
11-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Ben do they have a song for Carr like the JP groupies have for Losman ?

The_Philster
11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I've heard a statement similar to that before :scratch: Some coach that went into the HOF back in 2001, I believe ;)

TacklingDummy
11-15-2006, 06:05 PM

Too bad Wade Phillips didn't listen to the fans. Johnson should have never started that playoff game .

bennprince
11-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Ben do they have a song for Carr like the JP groupies have for Losman ?

No, there haven't been any songs written for Carr. He gets about the same treatment in Houston as Losman does up there. A lot of lovers and a lot of haters with a few (like myself) in the middle.

bennprince
11-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I've heard a statement similar to that before :scratch: Some coach that went into the HOF back in 2001, I believe ;)

Good catch...

The_Philster
11-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Are you on the HoustonTexans.com message boards, by any chance? Vinny over there used to post here a lot...he told me today he'll probably be stopping by here this week sometime

bennprince
11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Are you on the HoustonTexans.com message boards, by any chance? Vinny over there used to post here a lot...he told me today he'll probably be stopping by here this week sometime

I spend some time over there. It's by far the best source for news, articles, etc. A couple of people have some really good contacts and usually get us information before the media hears about it.

bluehaze
11-15-2006, 07:44 PM

Dude, Dom Capers has the Dolphins D currently ranked second in the NFL only behind the almighty Bears. You guys seem to have this uncanny knack for beating the Jag's and props for a great game but if I was a bettin man, my money would be on the Bills this game. They almost beat the Colt's there gonna be out for blood in this game.

P.S. I'd like to get some money in against that covering the spread plus 12 :lol:

bluehaze
11-15-2006, 07:53 PM
With QB's it's all about being put into a position to win, right? Look at players who have won Super Bowls recently like Dilfer and Roethlisberger. Not great QB's but they have the supporting cast around them in regards to players, coaching, schemes, etc. I seriously doubt that Tom Brady would be winning any Super Bowls in Houston or Buffalo right now.

Roethlisberger is the strangest QB ever in the history of the NFL. The guy posts up QB ratings in the 30's to start the season makes a miraculous turnaround and posts up a couple 150 ratings then drops back down to the 50-60's. What do you do with a QB like that? Do you play him or bench him? Batch is consistent but he is nowhere near Ben when he puts up those 150 ratings. I'm glad i'm not a Steelers fan because I would be pulling my hair out every week :lol:

bennprince
11-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Dude, Dom Capers has the Dolphins D currently ranked second in the NFL only behind the almighty Bears. You guys seem to have this uncanny knack for beating the Jag's and props for a great game but if I was a bettin man, my money would be on the Bills this game. They almost beat the Colt's there gonna be out for blood in this game.

P.S. I'd like to get some money in against that covering the spread plus 12 :lol:

Capers is a great assistant coach, but a complete boob as a head coach. He is too loyal to his buddies and let's them have way too much power. On top of that he is a terrible talent evaluator. The same thing happened in both of his HC tenures... once the veterans start leaving and he has to rely on his draft picks it's all over. He is very well thought of as a person down here. As a head coach... not so much.

The best thing you guys have going for you this week is that we're favored. We never seem to win games that we're favored in. 5 weeks ago I would have picked you guys also, but this is a different team. The defense is top 5 in the past 6 games in yards allowed. If your offensive line can keep Mario and DeMeco out of the backfield and your secondary can contain Andre Johnson and keep a lot of pressure on Carr, you will probably win the game. If not, I don't think it will be close.

The last buffalo fan
11-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by bennprince
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Keeping your less talented young team within striking distance against two of the best teams in football ( NE 19-17 / Indy 17-16) = FOOTBALL SMART

DICK AIN'T PERFECT BUT HE AIN'T STUPID

Right, you can mess with our team, but do not mess with our DICK!!!!!!