PDA

View Full Version : One thing that frightens me about Marv and Co.

JJamezz
11-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Whether I agree with them or not, I can rationalize and make some sense of every move the Bills made in the last offseason, BUT one...

Why wasn't the offensive line addressed more significantly than signing a couple of borderline starter (at best), lower tier players?

* One of the first things Marv said publicly was that the OL and DL were the foundations of the team and that they needed to be addressed.

* With McNally still here, it wasn't like the staff was entirely new and unfamiliar with the players.

* They had the cap space available.

* With the CBA looming, and the prospect of a much higher cap next year, many more teams will be able to be competitive in FA than last year.

I cannot come up with any explanation, other than they genuinely thought the players they picked up could/would be enough of an improvement. And that is simply a frightening thought, which, if true, doesn't bode well for the future.

JJamezz
11-15-2006, 04:59 PM
BTW, I don't pin the offensive troubles all on the O-line, or all on JP. Both of them stink. The O-line will not improve without significant moves made in FA and a first day draft pick or two.

As far as JP, the jury is out. Personally, what I've seen leads me to believe he will not be a quality starting QB. Every QB has growing pains, but the good ones show flashes - they may be fleeting, maybe not every game - but they're there. I don't see those flashes with JP.

mybills
11-15-2006, 05:17 PM
They didn't seem to have a problem at first.
Weren't there a lot of injuries & stuff happening early on?

You won't see those flashes with JP as long as they keep trying to make a pocket passer out of him. He's like a wild mustang...let him run, he throws better on the run.

GFLuNEEDit
11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Whether I agree with them or not, I can rationalize and make some sense of every move the Bills made in the last offseason, BUT one...

Why wasn't the offensive line addressed more significantly than signing a couple of borderline starter (at best), lower tier players?

* One of the first things Marv said publicly was that the OL and DL were the foundations of the team and that they needed to be addressed.

* With McNally still here, it wasn't like the staff was entirely new and unfamiliar with the players.

* With the CBA looming, and the prospect of a much higher cap next year, many more teams will be able to be competitive in FA than last year.

I cannot come up with any explanation, other than they genuinely thought the players they picked up could/would be enough of an improvement. And that is simply a frightening thought, which, if true, doesn't bode well for the future.

All very good points.

And these are the very same reasons that lead me to wonder where some of these dunces see a well orchestrated long-term rebuilding program underway.

To me it's clear that to this point they have sh** the bed.

Elminster
11-15-2006, 06:18 PM
They didn't seem to have a problem at first.
Weren't there a lot of injuries & stuff happening early on?

You won't see those flashes with JP as long as they keep trying to make a pocket passer out of him. He's like a wild mustang...let him run, he throws better on the run.
You can't ride a wild mustang...you have to break it first...

PECKERWOOD
11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Simple reason, Rome wasn't build in a day. We addressed most of our defensive problems last year, and this year it will be offense. It just so happens that this year is very deep at two of the positions we are struggling at, OL and WR. Go get em' Marv!

Yasgur's Farm
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I think a lot of their plan for this past FA period was around that RFA guard we made a move for... Not to mention the D-back RFA (I forget their names now).

When both fell through, Marv was forced to go with Reyes... and commit to DB in the '06 draft.

Look for Marv to answer with 2... or at least 1 big money FA at O-line in '07 with at least 1 day 1 O-line draft pick (after we get our true #2 WR... or CB).

Of course, that means we must say goodbye to 3 of our current linemen. I'm sure Villarrial will top the list but the other 2 are not so clear to me... I see a use for Gandy and Reyes... and I'd hate to lose any of our young guys.

PECKERWOOD
11-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I think a lot of their plan for this past FA period was around that RFA guard we made a move for... Not to mention the D-back RFA (I forget their names now).

When both fell through, Marv was forced to go with Reyes... and commit to DB in the '06 draft.

Look for Marv to answer with 2... or at least 1 big money FA at O-line in '07 with at least 1 day 1 O-line draft pick (after we get our true #2 WR... or CB).

Of course, that means we must say goodbye to 3 of our current linemen. I'm sure Villarrial will top the list but the other 2 are not so clear to me... I see a use for Gandy and Reyes... and I'd hate to lose any of our young guys.

We're on the same page draz.. We better get rid of Villarial, I've been advocating this for years..

Yasgur's Farm
11-15-2006, 06:53 PM
We're on the same page draz.. We better get rid of Villarial, I've been advocating this for years..I'd love to see the Bills get Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett or Zack Bowman with our 1st pick... The draft should be all about (1) WR, (1) CB, (2) LB and (2) O-line. Although I think the skill position(s) should be taken 1st... we'll need at least (1) O-line day 1.

YardRat
11-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Year 1 - defense.
Year 2 - offense.

Don't write off Reyes, yet. I'm guessing he's in the starting line-up again before this year is out, and next.

PECKERWOOD
11-15-2006, 07:08 PM
I'd love to see the Bills get Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett or Zack Bowman with our 1st pick... The draft should be all about (1) WR, (1) CB, (2) LB and (2) O-line. Although I think the skill position(s) should be taken 1st... we'll need at least (1) O-line day 1.

Wow, I couldnt find a way to disagree if I tried. Our drafts are also very similar. Here is what I want:

(1) Best WR available. We will be blessed if Calvin falls down to us. Ted Ginn Jr. is another one of my favorites. (2) A starting OT can easily be found in the 2nd round. (3) DT or LB..

I didnt take a CB on the first day, because I believe Nate Clements should be resigned. Our similar views probably end at that comment. But Nate is a solid starting CB, and has proven over the course of his career, that he can shut down the best WR's in the game. That's a rare talent my friend. Marv show #22 the money.

Yasgur's Farm
11-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Update... The guard was Reggie Wells from Arizona and the safety was actually DE Israel Idonje from Chicago.

Yasgur's Farm
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Year 1 - defense.
Year 2 - offense.

Don't write off Reyes, yet. I'm guessing he's in the starting line-up again before this year is out, and next.I don't disagree... I wouldn't be surprised to see Reyes this Sunday... What with Villarrial out and all.

Crisis
11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
We've been rebuilding for how many years now?

F that, I wanna win.

I'm tired of sucking balls every year and then being told we're rebuilding.

YardRat
11-15-2006, 07:41 PM
You can quit sucking balls anytime you want...we'll still be rebuilding, though.

Ickybaluky
11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Like any GM and coach, they are going to make some mistakes. The important thing is they have a plan and stick with it to it's long-term fruition.

I think they addressed several concerns on defense, installing a new scheme and adding several players who will grow within that scheme and help if for years to come. That is no small thing.

Obviously, they have some issues on offense (like the OL), but I'm sure they plan on addressing those.

The thing any Bills' fan should be impressed with is they are following through with what they said they were going to do. The were committed to installing a cover-2 scheme and drafted with that in mind, making their first 5 picks on defense.

They said they were going to let Losman compete for the job and he would have to win it outright, which they did. They then said they were going to give him a long look to find out if he could play and not jerk him out if he struggles, and they have done that. If he succeeds or fails, it won't be because he didn't get a fair shot.

I think, if you are a Bills' fan, that is the most encouraging thing. The current GM and coach are in agreement and staying with their plan. They aren't reacting every week, like some people on this board, but instead are following their plan.

Time will tell how successful they are, but the one thing that is certain is they are approaching it the right way, and not changing their minds every time there is an incomplete pass or missed tackle.

GFLuNEEDit
11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Like any GM and coach, they are going to make some mistakes. The important thing is they have a plan and stick with it to it's long-term fruition.

I think they addressed several concerns on defense, installing a new scheme and adding several players who will grow within that scheme and help if for years to come. That is no small thing.

Obviously, they have some issues on offense (like the OL), but I'm sure they plan on addressing those.

The thing any Bills' fan should be impressed with is they are following through with what they said they were going to do. The were committed to installing a cover-2 scheme and drafted with that in mind, making their first 5 picks on defense.

They said they were going to let Losman compete for the job and he would have to win it outright, which they did. They then said they were going to give him a long look to find out if he could play and not jerk him out if he struggles, and they have done that. If he succeeds or fails, it won't be because he didn't get a fair shot.

I think, if you are a Bills' fan, that is the most encouraging thing. The current GM and coach are in agreement and staying with their plan. They aren't reacting every week, like some people on this board, but instead are following their plan.

Time will tell how successful they are, but the one thing that is certain is they are approaching it the right way, and not changing their minds every time there is an incomplete pass or missed tackle.

What is the big deal about adding a couple of run of the mill players for the defense when you burn two 1st round picks to do it ?

They passed on players in the first round that were far better than the ones they picked.

Ickybaluky
11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
They passed on players in the first round that were far better than the ones they picked.

You have passed judgement rather quickly, no? Remember they didn't have the benefit of hindsight when they made the picks.

They will make good moves and bad, but they will stay with the plan and not react to every twist and turn in the road. Ultimately they will succeed or fail on merit, but their approach is the correct one.

SABURZFAN
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
BTW, I don't pin the offensive troubles all on the O-line, or all on JP. Both of them stink. The O-line will not improve without significant moves made in FA and a first day draft pick or two.

As far as JP, the jury is out. Personally, what I've seen leads me to believe he will not be a quality starting QB. Every QB has growing pains, but the good ones show flashes - they may be fleeting, maybe not every game - but they're there. I don't see those flashes with JP.

great post :bf1:

GFLuNEEDit
11-15-2006, 09:48 PM
You have passed judgement rather quickly, no? Remember they didn't have the benefit of hindsight when they made the picks.

They will make good moves and bad, but they will stay with the plan and not react to every twist and turn in the road. Ultimately they will succeed or fail on merit, but their approach is the correct one.

Their approach is junk and as a result so is their team

OpIv37
11-15-2006, 09:51 PM

I wondered the exact same thing. Don't get me wrong- I understand that Marv can only address so much in one off-season. But we all knew going in that this was going to be a trial year for JP. I can't for the life of me figure out why he didn't make the OL the #1 priority.

The only thing I can figure is this: before the CBA was finished, the Bills didn't have a lot of cap space. Maybe all the quality FA OL's were taken before the Bills knew how much they had.

G. Host
11-15-2006, 10:00 PM

Marv realized that both offense and defense were in hard shape.
The offense was sputtering and lacking talent in both QB, OL, TE and WR.
The defense was getting old, unfocused and unsuited for many schemes.

Marv decided the quickest way to improve was improve the defense and add some players on offense to see if change in skill players made a difference. He also used a wide net to try find a OL gem using low round picks.

The defense is definitely better; Vincent and Spikes injuries were unexpected.

The offensive skill players have helped but not enough; he attempted to improve OL by bringing in young veterans and again hoped one of them with a change of venue would save the effort of either putting a barrel full of money into a few players (i.e. Hutchenson) who might get hurt and run any chances or high picks on OL which are as likely to be busts as gems and still take time to develop.

Marv and crew will evaluate their players in off-season and make what roster changes are needed without putting all of their eggs into one basket; offense will be priority this off-season with FA's targeted for players leaving / being let go.

mybills
11-16-2006, 07:01 AM
You can't ride a wild mustang...you have to break it first...
Correct, and that's why he won't see those flashes. Right now he's being broken, and later on when he combines that with his insticts, he'll be flashing. :up:
Some people are just too impatient for it.

SquishDaFish
11-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Awesome posting MyBills