One thing that frightens me about Marv and Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

One thing that frightens me about Marv and Co.

Whether I agree with them or not, I can rationalize and make some sense of every move the Bills made in the last offseason, BUT one...

Why wasn't the offensive line addressed more significantly than signing a couple of borderline starter (at best), lower tier players?

* One of the first things Marv said publicly was that the OL and DL were the foundations of the team and that they needed to be addressed.

* With McNally still here, it wasn't like the staff was entirely new and unfamiliar with the players.

* They had the cap space available.

* With the CBA looming, and the prospect of a much higher cap next year, many more teams will be able to be competitive in FA than last year.

I cannot come up with any explanation, other than they genuinely thought the players they picked up could/would be enough of an improvement. And that is simply a frightening thought, which, if true, doesn't bode well for the future.
  • JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: One thing that frightens me about Marv and Co.

BTW, I don't pin the offensive troubles all on the O-line, or all on JP. Both of them stink. The O-line will not improve without significant moves made in FA and a first day draft pick or two.

As far as JP, the jury is out. Personally, what I've seen leads me to believe he will not be a quality starting QB. Every QB has growing pains, but the good ones show flashes - they may be fleeting, maybe not every game - but they're there. I don't see those flashes with JP.
    Last edited by JJamezz; 11-15-2006, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• mybills
      81 st zoner
      • Jul 2002

They didn't seem to have a problem at first.
      Weren't there a lot of injuries & stuff happening early on?

You won't see those flashes with JP as long as they keep trying to make a pocket passer out of him. He's like a wild mustang...let him run, he throws better on the run.
      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• GFLuNEEDit
        Senior Zoner
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by JJamezz
        Whether I agree with them or not, I can rationalize and make some sense of every move the Bills made in the last offseason, BUT one...

Why wasn't the offensive line addressed more significantly than signing a couple of borderline starter (at best), lower tier players?

* One of the first things Marv said publicly was that the OL and DL were the foundations of the team and that they needed to be addressed.

* With McNally still here, it wasn't like the staff was entirely new and unfamiliar with the players.

* They had the cap space available.

* With the CBA looming, and the prospect of a much higher cap next year, many more teams will be able to be competitive in FA than last year.

I cannot come up with any explanation, other than they genuinely thought the players they picked up could/would be enough of an improvement. And that is simply a frightening thought, which, if true, doesn't bode well for the future.
        All very good points.

And these are the very same reasons that lead me to wonder where some of these dunces see a well orchestrated long-term rebuilding program underway.

To me it's clear that to this point they have sh** the bed.
        Last edited by GFLuNEEDit; 11-15-2006, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Elminster
          #1 Kelsay Fan
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by mybills
          They didn't seem to have a problem at first.
          Weren't there a lot of injuries & stuff happening early on?

You won't see those flashes with JP as long as they keep trying to make a pocket passer out of him. He's like a wild mustang...let him run, he throws better on the run.
          You can't ride a wild mustang...you have to break it first...
          Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

Simple reason, Rome wasn't build in a day. We addressed most of our defensive problems last year, and this year it will be offense. It just so happens that this year is very deep at two of the positions we are struggling at, OL and WR. Go get em' Marv!

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

I think a lot of their plan for this past FA period was around that RFA guard we made a move for... Not to mention the D-back RFA (I forget their names now).

When both fell through, Marv was forced to go with Reyes... and commit to DB in the '06 draft.

Look for Marv to answer with 2... or at least 1 big money FA at O-line in '07 with at least 1 day 1 O-line draft pick (after we get our true #2 WR... or CB).

Of course, that means we must say goodbye to 3 of our current linemen. I'm sure Villarrial will top the list but the other 2 are not so clear to me... I see a use for Gandy and Reyes... and I'd hate to lose any of our young guys.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                Defies all logic
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by draz54
                I think a lot of their plan for this past FA period was around that RFA guard we made a move for... Not to mention the D-back RFA (I forget their names now).

When both fell through, Marv was forced to go with Reyes... and commit to DB in the '06 draft.

Look for Marv to answer with 2... or at least 1 big money FA at O-line in '07 with at least 1 day 1 O-line draft pick (after we get our true #2 WR... or CB).

Of course, that means we must say goodbye to 3 of our current linemen. I'm sure Villarrial will top the list but the other 2 are not so clear to me... I see a use for Gandy and Reyes... and I'd hate to lose any of our young guys.
                We're on the same page draz.. We better get rid of Villarial, I've been advocating this for years..

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                  We're on the same page draz.. We better get rid of Villarial, I've been advocating this for years..
                  I'd love to see the Bills get Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett or Zack Bowman with our 1st pick... The draft should be all about (1) WR, (1) CB, (2) LB and (2) O-line. Although I think the skill position(s) should be taken 1st... we'll need at least (1) O-line day 1.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Year 1 - defense.
                    Year 2 - offense.

Don't write off Reyes, yet. I'm guessing he's in the starting line-up again before this year is out, and next.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by draz54
                      I'd love to see the Bills get Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett or Zack Bowman with our 1st pick... The draft should be all about (1) WR, (1) CB, (2) LB and (2) O-line. Although I think the skill position(s) should be taken 1st... we'll need at least (1) O-line day 1.
                      Wow, I couldnt find a way to disagree if I tried. Our drafts are also very similar. Here is what I want:

(1) Best WR available. We will be blessed if Calvin falls down to us. Ted Ginn Jr. is another one of my favorites. (2) A starting OT can easily be found in the 2nd round. (3) DT or LB..

I didnt take a CB on the first day, because I believe Nate Clements should be resigned. Our similar views probably end at that comment. But Nate is a solid starting CB, and has proven over the course of his career, that he can shut down the best WR's in the game. That's a rare talent my friend. Marv show #22 the money.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

Update... The guard was Reggie Wells from Arizona and the safety was actually DE Israel Idonje from Chicago.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                          Year 1 - defense.
                          Year 2 - offense.

Don't write off Reyes, yet. I'm guessing he's in the starting line-up again before this year is out, and next.
                          I don't disagree... I wouldn't be surprised to see Reyes this Sunday... What with Villarrial out and all.

Comment

• Crisis
                            • Aug 2004

We've been rebuilding for how many years now?

F that, I wanna win.

I'm tired of sucking balls every year and then being told we're rebuilding.
                            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                            Vanek is Austrian not European
                            Originally posted by Prov401
                            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                            Originally posted by better days
                            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

You can quit sucking balls anytime you want...we'll still be rebuilding, though.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X