PDA

View Full Version : Knowing what you know now...

Devin
11-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Without changing where Buffalo picked in any round, and knowing both what our team needs are and the current level of play of this years rookie class how would you have drafted differently?

If a player was not available at our pick they cannot be selected.

1. Jay Cutler, QB
1. Nick Mangold, C
3. Ko Simpson, S
4. Elvis Dumervil, DE
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Dawan Landry, SS
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Aaron Merz, OG
7. Marques Colston, WR

Jay Cutler and Mangold are pretty self explanitory. Ko Simpson is a solid FS and I picked up Landry later to fill our need at SS. Dumervil has proven thus far to be a solid speed rusher.

Williams I still like at DT and I believe at some point Merz will be our starting OG. Colston is a no brainer. I kept Ellison as well as I think he will eventually develop into a fine Cover 2 LB.

hammerbillsfan
11-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Colston wouldn't do anything here cause JP can't get anyone the ball.

Devin
11-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Hence Cutler ;)

PECKERWOOD
11-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Doesn't make sense to take Mangold. Fowler isn't bad.

hammerbillsfan
11-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Hence Cutler ;)

and 2 or 3 for the OL

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Colston wouldn't do anything here cause JP can't get anyone the ball.

if i would have made this comment,it wouldv'e been groan city for me.

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Doesn't make sense to take Mangold. Fowler isn't bad.

why not?fowler doesn't have a whole career ahead of him like mangold does. :rolleyes:

Devin
11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
If you disagree make your own picks.

Mangold as a rookie is miles better then Fowler. Plus if we are able to draft a OT this year we have our bookends and C for years to come.

YardRat
11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
1. Donte Whitner, S
1. Marcus McNeill, OT
3. Barry Cofield, DT
4. Ko Simpson, S
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Mark Anderson, DE
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Terrance Pennington, OT
7. Marques Colston, WR

Devin
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
1. Donte Whitner, S
1. Marcus McNeill, OT
3. Barry Cofield, DT
4. Ko Simpson, S
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Mark Anderson, DE
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Marques Colston, WR

Good call on Mark Anderson, I overlooked him. Hed certainly be in my list.

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Mangold as a rookie is miles better then Fowler. Plus if we are able to draft a OT this year we have our bookends and C for years to come.

along with a QB that you mentioned.sorry Lickers,but that's a nice call.... :bf1:

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Without changing where Buffalo picked in any round, and knowing both what our team needs are and the current level of play of this years rookie class how would you have drafted differently?

1. Jay Cutler, QB
1. Nick Mangold, C
3. Ko Simpson, S
4. Elvis Dumervil, DE
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Dawan Landry, SS
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Aaron Merz, OG
7. Marques Colston, WR

Jay Cutler and Mangold are pretty self explanitory. Ko Simpson is a solid FS and I picked up Landry later to fill our need at SS. Dumervil has proven thus far to be a solid speed rusher.

Williams I still like at DT and I believe at some point Merz will be our starting OG. Colston is a no brainer. I kept Ellison as well as I think he will eventually develop into a fine Cover 2 LB.
How many safeties playing in the NFL are worth taking 8th overall ?

It harder for the average fan to rank a safety or DT against the rest of the league than it is a QB or RB.

They stayed away from taking players in high profile positions to avoid critism if a mistake was made.

You can tell by my posts that I was in favor of taking a QB before the Bills made their pick and that I thought Cutler was the best QB in the draft.

Marv Levy made some very bold comments against taking a QB in that draft.

In a year or two at the most he won't sound as bold .

This will go down as another draft where Buffalo really sh** the bed.

YardRat
11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Good call on Mark Anderson, I overlooked him. Hed certainly be in my list.

I almost went Dumerville and Simpson, as you did, but when I noticed Anderson available at 5 I skipped over to Cofield and kept Simpson in the same spot, grabbing Anderson later.

Devin
11-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I almost went Dumerville and Simpson, as you did, but when I noticed Anderson available at 5 I skipped over to Cofield and kept Simpson in the same spot, grabbing Anderson later.

Yeah I just accidentally skipped over him when I was looking. I Like the McNeil pick as well. That would have allowed us to keep Peters on the right.

X-Era
11-16-2006, 07:37 PM

1. Jay Cutler, QB
1. Nick Mangold, C
3. Ko Simpson, S
4. Elvis Dumervil, DE
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Dawan Landry, SS
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Aaron Merz, OG
7. Marques Colston, WR

I like this topic. I dont disagree overall, but theres some question marks in your picks here.

Trading up for a C? into the 1st round? Not taking a DT until the 5th? Im saying Simpson where we took him and an OL in the 3rd.

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 07:41 PM
I like this topic. I dont disagree overall, but theres some question marks in your picks here.

Trading up for a C? into the 1st round? Not taking a DT until the 5th? Im saying Simpson where we took him and an OL in the 3rd.

why not?mangold was taken two picks later. :rolleyes: that DT is a better pick than trading up for mccargo.

X-Era
11-16-2006, 07:46 PM

1. Jay Cutler, QB
1. Nick Mangold, C
3. Ko Simpson, S
4. Elvis Dumervil, DE
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Dawan Landry, SS
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Aaron Merz, OG
7. Marques Colston, WR

Heres mine:

1) Donte Whitner
2) Marcus McNeil
3) Ashton Youbouty
3) Max Jean Giles
4) Ko Simpson
5) Kyle Williams
5) AJ Nicholson
6) Marvin Philip
7) Fred Matua
7) Marques Colston

Sorry, changed it again, its tough.

Dr. Lecter
11-16-2006, 07:46 PM
How many safeties playing in the NFL are worth taking 8th overall ?

It harder for the average fan to rank a safety or DT against the rest of the league than it is a QB or RB.

They stayed away from taking players in high profile positions to avoid critism if a mistake was made.

You can tell by my posts that I was in favor of taking a QB before the Bills made their pick and that I thought Cutler was the best QB in the draft.

Marv Levy made some very bold comments against taking a QB in that draft.

In a year or two at the most he won't sound as bold .

This will go down as another draft where Buffalo really sh** the bed.

Bull****.

Cover 2 defense requires strong safety play. The Bills are set at safety for years with Whitner and Simpson. Cutler has not done a damn thing in the NFL. Nothing. Nada. Nunca. To act as if were our savior is crazy.

TD took high profile players. Both in the draft and free agency. It did not work out. The problem is, high profile does not mean best. I would rather see better players than high profile guys. If anything avoiding the big names (i.e. Leinhart, Justice, etc.) opened Marv up to MORE criticism, not less. Why? Because people who want a name and not the talent get upset.

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 07:53 PM
TD took high profile players. Both in the draft and free agency. It did not work out. The problem is, high profile does not mean best. I would rather see better players than high profile guys.

so you agree that TD was better off keeping our draft picks instead of wasting them on losman?

Dr. Lecter
11-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I would rather have more picks in general, yes.

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Bull****.

Cover 2 defense requires strong safety play. The Bills are set at safety for years with Whitner and Simpson. Cutler has not done a damn thing in the NFL. Nothing. Nada. Nunca. To act as if were our savior is crazy.

TD took high profile players. Both in the draft and free agency. It did not work out. The problem is, high profile does not mean best. I would rather see better players than high profile guys. If anything avoiding the big names (i.e. Leinhart, Justice, etc.) opened Marv up to MORE criticism, not less. Why? Because people who want a name and not the talent get upset.

Regardless, history shows that there are fewer impact players at safety than at other positions, worth the 8th pick overall.

Same can be said for center. A position that is more pivitol than safety. But because an impact player at center is rarer than at other positions you better be reasonably certain you have a Kevin Mawae or Kent Hall.

I can say the same for gaurd. A team might need a gaurd but should not take one at 8th unless he is the rare exception.

He should have traded down for more picks, if that was his gameplan.

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I would rather have more picks in general, yes.

which was why i wasn't happy,at Reckkio's,when we made that move for losman.but i tried to be optimistic about it for 2 1/2 years.

The_Philster
11-16-2006, 08:13 PM
You can tell by my posts that I was in favor of taking a QB before the Bills made their pick and that I thought Cutler was the best QB in the draft..How so? Because you're saying so now? You registered here last month. No offense, but we have no way of knowing with any certainty what you thought back then
The problem is, high profile does not mean best.:bf1: The only thing it means is that they got high publicity

PECKERWOOD
11-16-2006, 08:18 PM
1. Donte Whitner, S
1. Marcus McNeill, OT
3. Barry Cofield, DT
4. Ko Simpson, S
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Mark Anderson, DE
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Marques Colston, WR

Fantastic list. I would take Merz over Pennington though.

DraftBoy
11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
1. Whitner
1. Jackson
3. Pope
4. Simpson
5. Williams
5. Anderson
6. Ellison
7. Whitley
7. Colston

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
How so? Because you're saying so now? You registered here last month. No offense, but we have no way of knowing with any certainty what you thought back then:bf1: The only thing it means is that they got high publicity

I don't make only after the fact comments.

Like in this case with others saying Culter hasn't played yet, that he has done nothing.

That doesn't stop me from going out on a line and saying that he will be an excellent QB.

Anyone can be right after the fact.

The Losman supports won't admit that they are the same losers that were Robo groupies.

I don't operate like that , but they do.

Hell I'm glad to be the first to say that the Bills will look stupid for wasting the 8th pick overall on a safety.

This way I can say I told you so.

Devin
11-16-2006, 08:25 PM

Feel free to create your own. As i said you cant change the picking position they had, just the players. Thus far Mangold is proving the Jets made a very wise choice on draft day.

In my opinion Mangold is the best Center prospect to come out of college perhaps in the last decade. The only other player id consider taking there is McNeil at OT.

As far as DT's go I like the Williams pick. And thus far Ngata has been the only DT to rerally make an impact. DT's generally take awhile to develop anyway.

SquishDaFish
11-16-2006, 08:25 PM
GFlu can you unregister from the Zone?

The_Philster
11-16-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't make only after the fact comments.like I said, we only have your word for that...no one knows you at all

The Losman supports won't admit that they are the same losers that were Robo groupies.

I don't operate like that , but they do.and name-calling and personal attacks aren't going to make anyone want to know you either...with the possible exception of a few trolls whose only purpose on the boards is to stir up trouble

PECKERWOOD
11-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't make only after the fact comments.

Like in this case with others saying Culter hasn't played yet, that he has done nothing.

That doesn't stop me from going out on a line and saying that he will be an excellent QB.

I don't operate like that , but they do.

Hell I'm glad to be the first to say that the Bills will look stupid for wasting the 8th pick overall on a safety.

This way I can say I told you so.

Damn dude, lay off the juice. Why do you blurt out stuff like this, it simply isn't true. I support Losman, and I supported the midget while he was here also.

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 08:29 PM
GFlu can you unregister from the Zone?

:cry:

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Feel free to create your own. As i said you cant change the picking position they had, just the players. Thus far Mangold is proving the Jets made a very wise choice on draft day.

In my opinion Mangold is the best Center prospect to come out of college perhaps in the last decade. The only other player id consider taking there is McNeil at OT.

As far as DT's go I like the Williams pick. And thus far Ngata has been the only DT to rerally make an impact. DT's generally take awhile to develop anyway.

I agree with 95% of what you say in this thread and would only take a center this high if in fact he was as good as you say Mangold is.

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Damn dude, lay off the juice. Why do you blurt out stuff like this, it simply isn't true. I support Losman, and I supported the midget while he was here also.

I didn't say all of them were.

But you have to admit that the mindset is close to the same.

Most of them grab at straws the same way the Robo groupies did.

Devin
11-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Heres mine:

1) Donte Whitner
2) Marcus McNeil
3) Ashton Youbouty
3) Max Jean Giles
4) Ko Simpson
5) Kyle Williams
5) AJ Nicholson
6) Marvin Philip
7) Fred Matua
7) Marques Colston

Sorry, changed it again, its tough.

You cant go by our original draft order, you have to use the same spots as Buffalo did. That was part of the point.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I think AT BEST Matua is a career backup, and id have much rather taken a starter worthy DE Anderson/Dumervil then Nicholson.

Jean-Gilles may one day be a great OG hes a borderline pick since Phillys two starters are young and locked up for years.

Youboty maybe a great pick one day but for the purposes of this thread I found a ton of impact players at the spot he was had in.

PECKERWOOD
11-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I didn't say all of them were.

But you have to admit that the mindset is close to the same.

Most of them grab at straws the same way the Robo groupies did.

Many bashers are doing the same thing.. I've said stupid things on this message board, and I have contradicted myself before also. I Atleast try not to make a habit of it. But it seems like no matter how often you prove certain people wrong, they just keep singing the same song. I'm in favor to listen to both bashers and supporters, as long as they have a good argument put together. I'm considered a Losman supporter simply because I have patience. In all actuallity, I haven't made up my mind about Losman yet. I want to see a few other things happen first before I jump to such conclusions.

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 08:45 PM
:cry:

there are plenty of them in here. :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
11-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I supported the midget while he was here also.

you only registered here last month so we don't know that.

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Not only do I remain 100% convinced that a good general rule of thumb is that you do not take safeties that high in the draft.
From what I see so far KO Simpson is every bit as good as Whitner.

PECKERWOOD
11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Not only do I remain 100% convinced that a good general rule of thumb is that you do not take safeties that high in the draft.
From what I see so far KO Simpson is every bit as good as Whitner.

Thats a legit point. If you couldn't pick a QB with the 8th pick. Who would you have taken?

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Thats a legit point. If you couldn't pick a QB with the 8th pick. Who would you have taken?

There were Qbs there.
I guess if there wasn't a QB, and there wasn't a standout pass rusher , WR , or RB I probably trade down . This team needs a lot of help and as many picks as they can get.

PECKERWOOD
11-16-2006, 10:42 PM
There were Qbs there.
I guess if there wasn't a QB, and there wasn't a standout pass rusher , WR , or RB I probably trade down . This team needs a lot of help and as many picks as they can get.

I'm talking about the recent draft, not next years.

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm talking about the recent draft, not next years.
Yeah that what I meant . The last draft.

Dozerdog
11-16-2006, 11:09 PM
You cant go by our original draft order, you have to use the same spots as Buffalo did. That was part of the point.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I think AT BEST Matua is a career backup, and id have much rather taken a starter worthy DE Anderson/Dumervil then Nicholson.

Jean-Gilles may one day be a great OG hes a borderline pick since Phillys two starters are young and locked up for years.

Youboty maybe a great pick one day but for the purposes of this thread I found a ton of impact players at the spot he was had in.

We aren't giving up 2 of our day 1 picks for a center (Mangold) or Marcus McNeil

1) Leinart
2) D Manning S
3) Youboty CB
3) Simpson S
4) Kyle williams DT
5) Kevin Boothe G
5) Brad Butler OT
6) Keith Ellison LB
7) Marques Colston WR/TE
7) Pennington

With the Money we spent on Craig Nall, Andre Davis, & Peerless Price - we could have made a run at another DT in Free agency

Devin
11-16-2006, 11:14 PM
We aren't giving up 2 of our day 1 picks for a center (Mangold) or Marcus McNeil

1) Leinart
2) D Manning S
3) Youboty CB
3) Simpson S
4) Kyle williams DT
5) Kevin Boothe G
5) Brad Butler OT
6) Keith Ellison LB
7) Marques Colston WR/TE
7) Pennington

With the Money we spent on Craig Nall, Andre Davis, & Peerless Price - we could have made a run at another DT in Free agency

A starting LT playing as well as McNeil is or Mangold? Whats your logic there?
Of course the Bills wouldnt draft this way.....they didnt to begin with. Im just saying "what if".

While I am certainly happy with our draft, In this particular fantasy scenario I cant justify taking guys like Youboty who are no doubt good and loaded with potential but havent played a down when others are there making an impact.

Again this is just sort of a fantasy "what if" question. How do you justify taking a guy like Brad Butler over a DE whose making an impact for his team right now?

GFLuNEEDit
11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
A starting LT playing as well as McNeil is or Mangold? Whats your logic there?
Of course the Bills wouldnt draft this way.....they didnt to begin with. Im just saying "what if".

While I am certainly happy with our draft, In this particular fantasy scenario I cant justify taking guys like Youboty who are no doubt good and loaded with potential but havent played a down when others are there making an impact.

Again this is just sort of a fantasy "what if" question. How do you justify taking a guy like Brad Butler over a DE whose making an impact for his team right now?

I can't justify any of it.
They got a couple of players out of it, but they aren't going to crawl out of their hole anytime soon with drafts like that.

Weren't they using the same personnel guy donahoe had ?

PECKERWOOD
11-16-2006, 11:27 PM
I can't justify any of it.
They got a couple of players out of it, but they aren't going to crawl out of their hole anytime soon with drafts like that.

Weren't they using the same personnel guy donahoe had ?

Modrak? I like him.. Donahoe was the real cancer. Modrak's job was to lay the best talent infront of Donahoe, he just didn't pick the right positions to spend our picks on.. I think Modrak and Marv are really going to compliment each other, and we all know that Marv is more than willing to listen his staff..

DraftBoy
11-17-2006, 12:18 AM

1) Leinart
2) D Manning S
3) Youboty CB
3) Simpson S
4) Kyle williams DT
5) Kevin Boothe G
5) Brad Butler OT
6) Keith Ellison LB
7) Marques Colston WR/TE
7) Pennington

Only issue I see is that manning and Simpson both play FS, but Manning can play some CB too.

GFLuNEEDit
11-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Modrak? I like him.. Donahoe was the real cancer. Modrak's job was to lay the best talent infront of Donahoe, he just didn't pick the right positions to spend our picks on.. I think Modrak and Marv are really going to compliment each other, and we all know that Marv is more than willing to listen his staff..

How can anyone be sure that Modrak gave Donahoe good recommendations on players.

They actually hired Donahoe on the premise that he was great at drafting players.

It's convenient to say that it was all Donahoe, and I wouldn't doubt that it was, still I would rather have someone proven instead of Modrak, because maybe they both suck .

I could never trust Modrak with it after 5 years of that.

kernowboy
11-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Ok, I'll have a go at this

R1. Haloti Ngata - 6ft5, 345lbs - we want to solve the DT problem. Here we are.
No trade up and retain our R2 & R3
R2. Daryn Colledge LG - LT in college .. would've helped
R3. Ashton Youboty CB
R3. Gabe Watson DT - 6ft4, 331lbs. would've made us very difficult to run against
R4. Ko Simpson FS
R5. Ryan O'Callaghan or Brad Butler - still think he can be RT of the future
R5. Mark Anderson DE
R6. Kevin Ellison OLB
R7. Aaron Merz OL
R7. Marques Colston WR

At SS I would have rotated in Coy Wire and Mark Bowen when fit and looked to have solved this problem by drafting Eric Weddle in 2007. Colston would be a good no2 and with the better situation on the OL left from Day1, we'd have found passing easier.

DL
Schobel
Ngata
Watson
Denney

OL
Colledge
Gandy/Peters
Fowler
Preston/Merz
Peters/Butler

jamze132
11-17-2006, 05:37 AM
We should have drafted Jesus a couple thousand years ago since everyone seems to think ** isn't our saviour anymore.

YardRat
11-17-2006, 05:56 AM
We should have drafted Jesus a couple thousand years ago since everyone seems to think ** isn't our saviour anymore.

Marv had a shot at him, but the whole Mary Magdelene thingy brought his character into question.

patmoran2006
11-17-2006, 08:42 AM

1. Jay Cutler, QB
1. Nick Mangold, C
3. Ko Simpson, S
4. Elvis Dumervil, DE
5. Kyle Williams, DT
5. Dawan Landry, SS
6. Keith Ellison, OLB
7. Aaron Merz, OG
7. Marques Colston, WR

although this a very hypothetical topic.. and 32 teams in the League could've made a better pick somewhere.. This is a message board and its a FUN topic for fans to discuss. Before my answers, I want to say for the record I think Marv did an OUTSTANDING job overal in this draft.

But looking back here's my person OPINION of what I would've done, following your outlined rules.

1a- Matt Leinart. Look. The Bills need that "it" factor at quarterback. I DONT think Leinart would've been any better than ****** THIS year at QB (just so its noted). But Leinart, physical tools aside, would have a presence an in aura (again my opinion) to this team for the future. I think he's going to be one of the top QBs of the future and easily the best QB of this class. Since our offense blows right now anyway, I would've taken him with an eye towards the future. I dont blame Marv for NOT taking him, he had to see what he had at QB, this is a "what you know now" topic. SO I take Leinart, this guy is just a straight-up winner and the Cardinals will see that in the future.

1b- Nick Mangold. EASY PICK. Levy once said except for Jim Kelly, Hull was the most important player on those Super Bowl teams. This guy is a stud and would have anchored the interior of the line. Fowler could've been moved to right guard and a huge upgrade over Villarrial. That's 40% of the OL that we wouldn't have to worry about anymore, 60% if you count Peters.

3- Youboty. Still like him. He'll be good.

4- Simpson. Easy pick

5- Kyle Wiliams.. Ditto

The rest of the picks in the position I like. Of course Colston would've been a great pick in round seven.

Basically, Leinart/Mangold over Whitner/McCargo are the big two I would change knowing what we do now.