PDA

View Full Version : is Troy smith

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I dont watch much college football... is troy smith pro material?

Slim
11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Very much so.

TigerJ
11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I think probably. He is smaller than is typical, but he's bigger than Flutie, and other QBs have proven you don't have to be 6'3" or better to be successful. I think he goes 6'0" - 6'1". I think he's smarter than Michael Vick and Vince Young, has an excellent arm and is not all about looking to run at first opportunity. Frankly he's got a lot of the same tooks as ** ******. he's just a little smaller, and plays in a big time college offense that is much closer to the pro game. He won't have as difficult a time adjusting to the pro game.

STAMPY
11-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Will Troy Smith be in reaching distance to Bills in draft? Will he last to 5th pick

Mitchy moo
11-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Will Troy Smith be in reaching distance to Bills in draft? Will he last to 5th pick

5th?? try 2nd.

STAMPY
11-18-2006, 03:20 PM
no elite QB for us :(

SABURZFAN
11-18-2006, 03:42 PM
no elite QB for us :(

other areas on the offense needs to be addressed before we think about that.

RockStar36
11-18-2006, 03:51 PM
He looks very good so far today

evol4276
11-18-2006, 04:16 PM
I dont watch much college football... is troy smith pro material?
from what i'm seeing today, yes. tho this is the first or second time i've seen him

Ron Burgundy
11-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Troy Smith is the man.

We need to draft him. He would be an instant upgrade, and if we can get him in the 2nd round so much the better. Smith's poised, with a strong, accurate arm and great running ability. But the key is that he reads defenses well and he makes the right decision with the football.

Dr. Lecter
11-18-2006, 04:21 PM
You really think there is any chance of him being there in round #2?

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2006, 04:26 PM

The announcers said he's slated to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I nearly choked when I heard that.

SABURZFAN
11-18-2006, 04:37 PM

yes

Ron Burgundy
11-18-2006, 05:06 PM
So much the better if he is.

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't see him lasting till the 2nd but weirder things have happened

SABURZFAN
11-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't see him lasting till the 2nd but weirder things have happened

you have to remember though,our 2nd rounder may be the 35th pick overall.

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 05:18 PM
:scratch:

RockStar36
11-18-2006, 05:18 PM
If he is available in the 2nd round I see no reason why they shouldn't take him.

SABURZFAN
11-18-2006, 05:20 PM
If he is available in the 2nd round I see no reason why they shouldn't take him.

as long as we address other areas on the offense,then i would say yes.but if we draft him and do nothing for protection,it's like shooting ourselves in the foot.

YardRat
11-18-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm not a real fan of his mechanics...seems to me he carries the ball too low and has too big of a wind-up.

Bmax
11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Wow...what a game by smith ...He truly showed his leadership and toughness...
Herbsteit was right he does remind you a little of Drew Brees. I say a little bit of Mcnabb also.. Right now his height will keep in the bottom 1st or top 2nd rd.. Rememeber Brees was a 2nd round pick. I would trade down and draft him in the bottom 2nd in or top 2nd in a heartbeat. A trade Would give us two picks in the top 50 players.

Bmax

ParanoidAndroid
11-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't this be the Godsend of all drafts?
Trade down:
1. Zach Miller TE
2. Troy Smith
3a. Tim Duckworth OG
3b. Doug Free OT

Ron Burgundy
11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't think Free will last that long, but that'd be fine with me. I like Zach Miller, too.

Tatonka
11-18-2006, 08:02 PM
troy smith will win the heisman and will probably win the national championship. there is still alot of time for him to move up well into the first. you may see him keep rising..

remember, phillip rivers was projected to be a late 2nd to 3rd round pick about this time as well.. and we see how that went.

Ickybaluky
11-18-2006, 08:11 PM
I think Smith drops because of his size. If he were a couple inches taller, I think he would be the #1 overall pick. However, the fact is he is only 6-1 (probably not even that) and that will hurt his draft stock.

With a few exceptions, short QB struggle in the NFL. Smith has about everything you want, but he isn't real big. I don't think he drops completely out of the first round, but I don't see him going top-10.

As far as how good I think he will be, I think at worst he will be a Senaca Wallace-type. He may end up as good as a Rex Grossman as well, but I don't think his game will translate to his being better than that in the NFL.

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 08:17 PM
I think Smith drops because of his size. If he were a couple inches taller, I think he would be the #1 overall pick. However, the fact is he is only 6-1 (probably not even that) and that will hurt his draft stock.

With a few exceptions, short QB struggle in the NFL. Smith has about everything you want, but he isn't real big. I don't think he drops completely out of the first round, but I don't see him going top-10.

As far as how good I think he will be, I think at worst he will be a Senaca Wallace-type. He may end up as good as a Rex Grossman as well, but I don't think his game will translate to his being better than that in the NFL.He has the "It" factor. That doesn't translate onto paper

ajsdx
11-18-2006, 08:23 PM
One thing we know for sure is that he can consistently handle hype/pressure and makes good decisions in big-time spots like very few other college qbs. his windup does look weird (as someone mentioned), and he is shorter than you'd normally want, but his performance in big games is definitely going to translate well into the nfl.

bluehaze
11-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I was more impressed with Henne, he doesnt have Ginn! Troy Smith will probably win the Heismann so not much chance of him slipping to the second round and my personal opinion is he won't do as well in the pro's anyway, although I am sure many will disagree. Quinn will most likely carry his success accross to the NFL but he is likely to be drafted very highly.

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I was more impressed with Henne, he doesnt have Ginn! Troy Smith will probably win the Heismann so not much chance of him slipping to the second round and my personal opinion is he won't do as well in the pro's anyway, although I am sure many will disagree. Quinn will most likely carry his success accross to the NFL but he is likely to be drafted very highly.No, he is stuck with Manningham, Breaston, and Arrington. Poor, poor Henne. He did look good but please don't give me this "he doesn't have Ginn" crap. Ginn isn't even the best receiver on the Buckeyes team

bluehaze
11-18-2006, 09:31 PM
No, he is stuck with Manningham, Breaston, and Arrington. Poor, poor Henne. He did look good but please don't give me this "he doesn't have Ginn" crap. Ginn isn't even the best receiver on the Buckeyes team

I know many will disagree it is just my gut feeling more than anything...mebbe too much beer or something...

I was impressed with Henne under pressure though, and I'll bet you 1'000 ZB's Ginn gets drafted long before any other WR on his team.

Edit: Oops I mean 866.42 ZB's , hey everytime I edit my post I get more ZB's!!! :lol:

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Manningham was the best receiver on the field today...and I'll take that bet

bluehaze
11-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Manningham had a great day for sure, but Henne still managed a TD during a crucial point of the game when Manningham was on the sidelines. I was more impressed with Henne than Smith today was all...dunno man

bluehaze
11-18-2006, 09:46 PM
K.O. On the bet, hopefully I still have the ZB's when the time comes! :lol:

If I keep editting my posts I will have plenty :lol:

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 10:03 PM
K.O. On the bet, hopefully I still have the ZB's when the time comes! :lol:

If I keep editting my posts I will have plenty :lol:Oh, I misread...I thought you said Ginn would be drafted before any of the other receivers (meaning Michigans too) My bad....remind me on draft day and I will pay up:up:

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 10:08 PM
though you may have to wait several years because some Soph. and Freshman receivers may become great!!!

bluehaze
11-18-2006, 10:24 PM
LOL Good point, I will make it more fair though, I'll bet that Ginn goes before any other senior on the field today, It will make the draft more fun to watch! 800 ZB's says Ginn gets drafted before any other senior reciever on the field in the OSU/Mich game today!

LtFinFan66
11-18-2006, 10:44 PM
If he comes out early of course!:up:

bluehaze
11-18-2006, 10:56 PM
LOL chit, Your a good man LT! You coulda suckered me on that bet, I thought he was a senior :laughing:

PECKERWOOD
11-19-2006, 01:47 AM
He has the "It" factor. That doesn't translate onto paper

True, its not the size of the bite, its the size of the fight in the dog. Something like that. :D

jamze132
11-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Troy Smith is the man.

We need to draft him. He would be an instant upgrade, and if we can get him in the 2nd round so much the better. Smith's poised, with a strong, accurate arm and great running ability. But the key is that he reads defenses well and he makes the right decision with the football.
2nd round? Are you serious? The guy will be off the board by pick #3.

Night Train
11-19-2006, 03:25 AM
2nd round? Are you serious? The guy will be off the board by pick #3.

I seriously doubt it.

jamze132
11-19-2006, 06:28 AM
I seriously doubt it.
Discuss

Jan Reimers
11-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Troy Smith is the man.

Not to discredit his ability or your opinion, but how much poise will he have with the D in his face in 2.6 seconds, and with TEs who can't catch the ball and one good WR? And we have a guy with a strong arm and running ability, but he is allowed to use neither.

I'm convinced that we would be wasting a pick on any QB until we make an investment in the O line, a pass catching TE, and a quality 2nd WR.

patmoran2006
11-19-2006, 10:16 AM
No

Dicknoze69
11-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Mort just said that Troy Smith will be a 2nd round pick tops because even though he's listed at 6'1", he's really probably only 5'11".

Personally, I love the guy. He has "It".

patmoran2006
11-19-2006, 10:43 AM
we'll see..

He's going in the first round I think.. I dont care what anybody says

Dicknoze69
11-19-2006, 11:02 AM
I agree with you Pat. I think he'll go in the 1st round after the National Championship game and workouts. Some team will fall in love with him regardless of his size.

X-Era
11-19-2006, 11:07 AM
I think probably. He is smaller than is typical, but he's bigger than Flutie, and other QBs have proven you don't have to be 6'3" or better to be successful. I think he goes 6'0" - 6'1". I think he's smarter than Michael Vick and Vince Young, has an excellent arm and is not all about looking to run at first opportunity. Frankly he's got a lot of the same tooks as ** ******. he's just a little smaller, and plays in a big time college offense that is much closer to the pro game. He won't have as difficult a time adjusting to the pro game.

according to condraft hes 5-11. Thats a bit onthe short side, but certainly not Flutie-esque :doh2:

Ron Burgundy
11-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Not to discredit his ability or your opinion, but how much poise will he have with the D in his face in 2.6 seconds, and with TEs who can't catch the ball and one good WR? And we have a guy with a strong arm and running ability, but he is allowed to use neither.

I'm convinced that we would be wasting a pick on any QB until we make an investment in the O line, a pass catching TE, and a quality 2nd WR.

We do need help at wideout and on the line, and these issues should also be addressed at the proper spots.

We also need a quarterback with the ability to read a defense, quickly go through his progressions, make the right decision, and win some ballgames. I think Troy can do that. But I know JP Losman can't do that.

YardRat
11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I agree with any those who put Henne over Smith as far as pro potential goes.

If I were in the war room, it was my pick, and I had to choose between the two, I'd take Henne.

Bmax
11-19-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't think Free will last that long, but that'd be fine with me. I like Zach Miller, too.

Actually is starting to drop after a sub par senior season ... He 's gottta turn it around at the all star games and combine...Right now they are saying 4th or 5th rd ......ACCORDING TO SCOUTS INC..

Bmax

don137
11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I love Troy Smith but the problem is he is small. That is the number one problem with him. Add a few inches and he is a top ten pick...