PDA

View Full Version : Fewell May Be In Over His Head - Much Like Gray Was

Night Train
11-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Gray just blitzed wide, since he was out of ideas.

I'm starting to see the DE's line up very wide again, much like the old Gray D I hated. Before a couple of plays started, I could see huge gaps on the line and knew what would happen. Sure enough, huge holes for easy gains.

The DB's were playing so far back off the line again. It prevents the big play but it gives up the easy slant every time. Look at all the yardage Houston had today.

Little push up the middle and wide rushes by the DE's gives the opposing Offense easy lanes on running plays and too much time for the QB to find receivers.

The players themselves are not without talent. I just think this D scheming is not effective. Plus the LB's/Safties don't seem to try any blitzes up the middle, allowing the QB to find a comfortable pocket most plays.

I don't think this will become a shutdown D at any point and fail to see how this scheme will get better. Seems to be screaming for more beef in the line and the LB's playing up closer, without so much coverage responsibilities that look like mismatches. Seems any team can torch this D for long stretches every game.

With an O that needs to find more consistency, that means the D must get more 3 and outs to force punts.

Not sure this Fewell Cover 2 D will ever be that good with these smaller DL guys who leave wide open gaps all too often.

Happy with the win but this D scheme is a worry.

Statman
11-19-2006, 05:26 PM
It can't be, Marv told us that Fewell was good for the job.

ParanoidAndroid
11-19-2006, 05:32 PM
It took Herm Edwards how long to get the Tampa-2 going in Tampa and Indy? So far, our defense looks better than Indy's did a few years back.
Give it time. We are still a few players short of having the right personnel to run this defense the way it was meant to be run.

OpIv37
11-19-2006, 05:45 PM
also the LB's playing so far back basically took them out of the run game. The safeties were making most of the tackles on running plays.

And the D is ALWAYS spread too wide in short yardage situations. There is always a running lane and it's very disturbing.

TigerJ
11-19-2006, 06:10 PM
It took Herm Edwards how long to get the Tampa-2 going in Tampa and Indy? So far, our defense looks better than Indy's did a few years back.
Give it time. We are still a few players short of having the right personnel to run this defense the way it was meant to be run.

Was that a deliberate mistake because Herm Edwards and Tony Dungy look a lot alike? In any case, I'll give Fewell a pass this year. The defense looked pretty good last week though.

DraftBoy
11-19-2006, 07:13 PM
D has been very good the past two weeks, 14 points this week, 16 last week and forcing turnovers. Fewell has got the D playing very well. Its all bend but dont break.

HHURRICANE
11-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm going to make this easy for everyone. We don't have a line worth a ****. Kelsay, Denney, Anderson, and yes Schobel would be backups on most teams. Fewell has done a hell of a job considering what he has. Grey had some talent for a few years at least and he blew.

JJamezz
11-19-2006, 07:35 PM
One thing Fewell and staff are able to do that Gray NEVER was, is make adjustments.. Not so much early in the season, but now that they're getting comfortable in the new system. There have been a number of games where the D went from being trampled early, to playing lights out.