PDA

View Full Version : When there is pass Protection

ghz in pittsburgh
11-19-2006, 07:02 PM
and JP can look super like he showed a lot of times today.

This is the first game that I see no immediate defensive penetrations, no leakage right after JP drops back. Granted the Bills had max protection on and sent two receivers most of the time, but you can tell JP was comfortable in the pocket. No more waiting for the last second to throw the ball.

In the past, JP had times in the pocket occasionally as well. But it's a whole different feeling back there where you've been pressured all game long and got a few breaks (great QBs will take full advantages on those breaks but JP is obviously not there yet) vs you are comfortable in the pocket and has occasional break-downs like the sack in this game.

My personal opinion is that Duke Preston does better pass blocking than run
blocking. There might be some truth in that some have said that he's pure center and not a guard material because your guards should be able to turn a defensive tackle to one side, if not knocking him down completely. Preston showed zero push in run blocking, nor preventing guys from shooting to stop Thomas when Thomas tried to get to the left side. The number of times when the Bills cannot convert 3rd and short in this game - and a lot in other games - is disheartening.

kinigirly
11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
i was babysitting while the game was on and at the moment we were losing. the kid says to me "too bad ya couldn't get vince young, then you'd have a decent quarterback and win". i ask him "do you know what an o-line is?" he says "no". i respond "neither do we" i then had to lecture the kid on the subject. as i was leaving he said "sorry your team sucks, i hope they get better". lol he wasn't being bratty he actually meant it

Wraith
11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
What was so impressive about today's pass protection was that they DIDN'T max protect often. You do not throw 7 passes to the running back, 4 to the full back, and at least 2 to the tight ends (plus how ever many were dropped: 1 to Royal, 2 to Parrish) with max protect on, because those people would be functioning as blockers rather than receivers.

I think the key difference this week was the fact that used more than two receivers on passing plays, and there was a pocket to step up into. Those two things made a world of difference.

Michael82
11-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Both Pennington and Preston surprised me a bit at the right side. They did a nice job holding their own. :clap:

GFLuNEEDit
11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
It was Houston.

bflojohn
11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
If you Tivoed, go back and watch the second TD to Evans! The pocket was totally clean! This doesn't dispell the notion that they still need help on this O-line, as Losman was drilled on the first TD by at least two defenders on the play, but he hung in there and delivered a nice throw under duress. Peters could actually be the real deal at OLT and acquiring two new guards and a ORT are going to be high priority this offseason, IMO. To their credit, they (OL) did play hard and helped win a football game today!