• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Primer for this weekends game

The Jags have the 4th best D in the league. They actually are better against the pass than the rush statistically.

What we need to do is play tough ball, not turn it over, and find a way to win. Theres little chance that this game will look like the Houston game, the Jags D is too good. We wont be throwing all over the field.

So, progressing is playing tough and finding a way to win. Looks like a game where we need to run.

The D should have an easier time with Garrard/Reggie Williams/Matt Jones then Carr/Johnson/Moulds. They have Taylor who is injured (what a suprise..not). Maurice Drew will likely start.

We can win this one, but I dont think it will look like the Houston game at all.

• Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Re: Primer for this weekends game

I'm expecting more along the lines of the Indy gameplan, but with Losman given a little more freedom than there, but not much... maybe 20-25 pass attempts.

It's not that it's on him, it's because the o-line is much more capable of having a really tough game against that stout Jags' front seven, of which no QB will be able to do a whole lot.

Jon

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

The strength of the Jacksonville line is the DTs. Bobby McCray is having a good season at LDE, so Pennington will have his hands full again. Paul Spicer is the RDE, but he hasn't done much. I imagine Peters can handle him pretty much one on one. The linebackers don't appear to be anything special. In the secondary Rashean Mathis looks like a pro-bowler this year. Donovan Darius makes a lot of tackles but doesn't get a lot of turnovers.

If I were to guess, I would guess that Jacksonville tries to put Mathis on Evans and maybe give him a little extra help after Sunday's game. I think the Jacksonville pass rush will probably come mostly from the middle and Losman's right. If I'm game planning for the Bills I have to deal with the possibility that JP is not going to have the option of stepping up into the pocket that often because I fear the pocket is going to be collapsed a lot. I think the Bills may want to try and run more screens than they are accustomed to, maybe running those screens in the middle. The will also want to continue the trend of running the ball to the left. Pennington did handle himself pretty well versus a heavy dose of Mario Williams Sunday though. Maybe he'll do OK versus McCray. McCray is not as strong as Williams and probably no faster. I don't count on Evans being open as much. Jacksonville is going to try and take him away from the Bills. That means Buffalo is going to have to get more production out of Price, and Parrish, and Reed (if he's back).

I think this is going to be a chess match for Steve Fairchild and the Jacksonville DC. It'll also be a good test for Losman to see if he can stay confident and comfortable when Jacksonville takes away his first read and makes life more unpleasant for him than Houston did.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
        The strength of the Jacksonville line is the DTs. Bobby McCray is having a good season at LDE, so Pennington will have his hands full again. Paul Spicer is the RDE, but he hasn't done much. I imagine Peters can handle him pretty much one on one. The linebackers don't appear to be anything special. In the secondary Rashean Mathis looks like a pro-bowler this year. Donovan Darius makes a lot of tackles but doesn't get a lot of turnovers.

If I were to guess, I would guess that Jacksonville tries to put Mathis on Evans and maybe give him a little extra help after Sunday's game. I think the Jacksonville pass rush will probably come mostly from the middle and Losman's right. If I'm game planning for the Bills I have to deal with the possibility that JP is not going to have the option of stepping up into the pocket that often because I fear the pocket is going to be collapsed a lot. I think the Bills may want to try and run more screens than they are accustomed to, maybe running those screens in the middle. The will also want to continue the trend of running the ball to the left. Pennington did handle himself pretty well versus a heavy dose of Mario Williams Sunday though. Maybe he'll do OK versus McCray. McCray is not as strong as Williams and probably no faster. I don't count on Evans being open as much. Jacksonville is going to try and take him away from the Bills. That means Buffalo is going to have to get more production out of Price, and Parrish, and Reed (if he's back).

I think this is going to be a chess match for Steve Fairchild and the Jacksonville DC. It'll also be a good test for Losman to see if he can stay confident and comfortable when Jacksonville takes away his first read and makes life more unpleasant for him than Houston did.
        I think this game is won in the trenches. If we can establish the run, I can see the D stacking the line and JP getting soem play action shots.

On D, we just need to play sound ball. I dont think they are spectacular at anything on O, we should be able to do a good job against them.

It will come down to being able to break through a tough D and score enough points to win. I hope for a tough game by the o line so that JP has time to throw and that A train can run for enough yards.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
          The Jags have the 4th best D in the league. They actually are better against the pass than the rush statistically.

What we need to do is play tough ball, not turn it over, and find a way to win. Theres little chance that this game will look like the Houston game, the Jags D is too good. We wont be throwing all over the field.

So, progressing is playing tough and finding a way to win. Looks like a game where we need to run.

The D should have an easier time with Garrard/Reggie Williams/Matt Jones then Carr/Johnson/Moulds. They have Taylor who is injured (what a suprise..not). Maurice Drew will likely start.

We can win this one, but I dont think it will look like the Houston game at all.
          Turns out Taylor is playing and Jones-Drew looks like no slouch himself. After giving up 180 yards on the ground or something, we may have our hands full.

Run and stop the run in this one.

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

What we need to do is play tough ball, not turn it over, and find a way to win.
            Helllllllllllllloooooooooo captain obvious. Clearly what you mean to say is in order to win we need to score more points then the Jags.

Yes our undersized DB's are gonna have a field day with Reggie Williams and Matt Jones. Both of which could probably start for the friggin lakers.

And the combo of Taylor/Drew isnt intimidating at all.....

The Jags defense, especially their secondary is no joke. If we are to win we will need a flawless game from JP, nothing less.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Devin
              Helllllllllllllloooooooooo captain obvious. Clearly what you mean to say is in order to win we need to score more points then the Jags.

Yes our undersized DB's are gonna have a field day with Reggie Williams and Matt Jones. Both of which could probably start for the friggin lakers.

And the combo of Taylor/Drew isnt intimidating at all.....

The Jags defense, especially their secondary is no joke. If we are to win we will need a flawless game from JP, nothing less.
              Yes, its gonna be a tough game for us for sure. I meant we need to find a way to win.

I wouldnt count on JP playing flawless, he has yet to do it. But, if he plays sound, check down, conservative, keep the chains moving, no turnover ball, we can win this one. This is FAR from a stat padder thats my point.

Comment

• GFLuNEEDit
                Senior Zoner
                • Oct 2006

Yeah stranger things have happened but this is a huge mismatch.

The defense will need to shut them down completely because the Bills offense won't do much.

Best they can hope for is a couple of big penalties and some field position from special teams or turnovers by the defense.

The fact that Jacksonville played a Monday night game helps Buffalo.
                Jacksonville had a big win against a pretty good team.
                That might help this game against a junk team be a bigger let down game than it normally would have been. They might be caught napping.

But even with that I'd need odds of at least 10-1 to lay money on the Bills straight up in this one.
                Last edited by GFLuNEEDit; 11-21-2006, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X