PDA

View Full Version : NOOO!!!!! Jets looking to steal Hollis!!!

ArcticWildMan
03-01-2003, 12:15 PM
The New York Post reports the New York Jets have called free agent PK Mike Hollis (Bills).

TypicalBill
03-01-2003, 12:21 PM
:shakeno:
we should've signed him before FA, now we're gonna be in a bidding war.

venis2k1
03-01-2003, 12:22 PM
:(

Romes
03-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Apperently Hollis is looking for a salary to make him on the top 10 kickers in the league.

http://www.wgr55.com/bills/fullstory.php?newsid=0063

ArcticWildMan
03-01-2003, 12:29 PM
1.3 Mil is too much money IMO. He was too inconsistant last year to justify top 10 money. 1 Mil max.

Brian H
03-01-2003, 12:37 PM
HANG UP THE DAMN PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingtar33
03-01-2003, 12:44 PM
We couldn't (via-NFL rules) sign him before free agency.

venis2k1
03-01-2003, 12:46 PM
we need a kicker, i dont even want to remember 3-13

TypicalBill
03-01-2003, 12:47 PM
couldn't we extend his contract before it ended Ingtar?

justasportsfan
03-01-2003, 12:47 PM
I hope TD kept Arians' phone no.? :hamrhed:

Who else is out there?

4thAndLong
03-01-2003, 12:51 PM
If they get Hollis, I'll settle for Hall. :D

Brian H
03-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Don't worry Hollis is talking to the Bills now on a new deal before any Jet talk even happens....

Bert102176
03-01-2003, 02:33 PM
well he blew a couple of critical games for us remember 1 more win and we would have been in the playoffs. I say we could find another kicker perhaps one better if the scouts are out there in the right places.

MissBuffalo
03-01-2003, 03:40 PM
The problem is that there are no better kickers out there. We need to sign him ASAP. I do not want a Jake Ariens/Shane Graham season again.

The_Philster
03-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
couldn't we extend his contract before it ended Ingtar?

Yeah. We could have. We could have even had a contract agreed upon before free agency started and just not had it signed until the Free Agency period started.

Romes
03-01-2003, 04:28 PM
There are some good kickers out there.

UFA
Morten Andersen
Gary Anderson
John Carney
Steve Christie
John Hall
Micheal Husted
Todd Peterson

RFA
Rian Lindell
Neil Rackers

JefftheBillsfan
03-01-2003, 05:22 PM
I would love to see Carney if Hollis cant be back.

RedEyE
03-01-2003, 05:24 PM
I'm not excited by that list at all. I think that Hollis is our best option for now. John Hall couldn't kick a kitten into the street while standing on the curb.

MissBuffalo
03-01-2003, 05:37 PM
In the kicker position, what worries me the most is the "Ralph wind."
I could deal with Hall coming here, I know he can play in the type of weather the Ralph see's.

Carney is decent, but he's played in a dome for the past 2 seasons and before that he played in SD, where obviously they get no snow. So he makes no sense to me.

As far as the Anderson's, they're still ok due to their age. Gary's been in a dome for the past few years, so he's if-y (although he played in Philly for quite some time) and Morten wouldn't be too bad, he did play outdoors in KC.

Christie isn't going to be re-signed here so I'll just skip him.

Husted hasn't really played much in the past few years, so I don't know too much about him. He spent quite some time in TB, but still hasn't really played in a snow type setting, so I'd say no to him.

Peterson isn't all that either. Last season in Pittsburgh (snow, snow, snow!!) he was 12 of 21. But I will say that from what I've heard, Heinz field is a bit@h to kick in. He may not be a bad pickup.

Lindell would be decent, but don't we have to compensate for a RFA??? Same for Rackers.

MissBuffalo
03-01-2003, 05:38 PM
So, IMO, Hollis is still our best option.

WG
03-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
1.3 Mil is too much money IMO. He was too inconsistant last year to justify top 10 money. 1 Mil max.

Originally posted by Bert102176
well he blew a couple of critical games for us remember 1 more win and we would have been in the playoffs. I say we could find another kicker perhaps one better if the scouts are out there in the right places.

Gotta agree w/ you guys. I seem to not remember many (if any) games that Hollis won for us. Nevertheless, top 10 money for Hollis is too much.

Originally posted by RedEyE
I'm not excited by that list at all. I think that Hollis is our best option for now. John Hall couldn't kick a kitten into the street while standing on the curb.

LMAO

Don't let Jaded here you say that. Fortunately she never comes into this forum.

Hollis may be our best option, but if the price gets exorbitant, then he won't be.

Isn't there some monster kicker prospect coming out of college this season? If I'm not mistaken, there's some guy who's possibly a 2nd rounder. I'm not one of the draft junkees though.

Anyone?

clumping platelets
03-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Bills couldn't talk to Hollis before FA because of the provisions of the vets minimum rule. Bills had to wait until FA began to START talking to him.

casdhf
03-02-2003, 08:50 AM
"There's very few kickers that can kick there and probably even less that want to kick there"

See ya.

don137
03-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Carney is the only one on that list that excited me. I read this morning that it sounds like Hall is getting close to signing with Washington so they Jets may make a push for Hollis.
Now I don't feel that Hollis is in the top 10 as kickers go so it is hard to justify a top 10 salary BUT for all those critics out there that just say forget Hollis and go get someone else cheaper please list who can we get that is good and will be cheaper instead of just saying find someone cheaper. Good kickers are hard to find. There is a reason why Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson have kicked in this league for so many years and that is because good kickers are hard to find. I guess some people have short memories and don't remember our kicking situation two years ago. Now that we are going into a season where we should make the playoffs do we really want to get an untested kicker?

justasportsfan
03-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Don't forget wide right. We would've had a SB by now and we wouldn't have been the butt of all SB jokes.

don137
03-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Question for Eb and/or Clump. Since Lindell was an undrafted player and if he signs with someone else and Seattle chooses not to match the offer does the team that signs him have to compensate Seattle?

Dozerdog
03-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176

What are you talking about? Please list the games which he "blew" for us.

New England Part 1- even if he hits the 3 he missed, we still would have lost by double digits

Minnesota- Nails a 54 yarder with no time on the clock to save the game. There is a game you can say he helped win for us.

I don't recall him blowing extra points or missing easy late game FG that would have turned the tide.

This guy was clutch most of the year. Carney is one guy with a cannon for a leg. I'd consider him as a last option

Typ0
03-02-2003, 10:57 AM
It would be nice to have someone that can kick-off. I think this component gets glazed over too quickly when evaluating a kicker. Hollis can't kick off well at all. The kick-offs are a key component in the field position battle.

Dozerdog
03-02-2003, 11:00 AM
The dead ball they use fo kickoffs has eroded a lot of guy's abilities to reach the endzone. Janikowski is one of the few who still can hammer it. I can't think of 10 guys who can reach the endzone these days on a consistent basis

kgun12
03-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Hollis will be back in a Bills uniform. The only way it won't happen is if some team makes a crazy offer knowone could refuse. Hollis has said on WNSA that he will be a Bill. He even hinted that he would give the Homer discount to us. He has the same agent as Mooreman, his agent has talked to the Bills already. I will repeat
Hollis will be back in a Bills uniform!

Typ0
03-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Yeah it would be great to have someone that could get a lot of touchbacks but I would settle for someone that could get it down around the goal-line not the 7-10 yard line.

don137
03-02-2003, 11:39 AM
I say try Moorman on kickoffs. He has a canon of a leg from what I have seen in training camp.

Typ0
03-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Yeah the one year we did that he couldn't punt after mid-season. I just think that any decision that keeps Hollis kicking off is a bad decision and he is only a slightly above average field goal kicker because of his percentage.

kgun12
03-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
Yeah the one year we did that he couldn't punt after mid-season. I just think that any decision that keeps Hollis kicking off is a bad decision and he is only a slightly above average field goal kicker because of his percentage.

TypO that's because he kicked off and punted all spring in NFL Europe then came here and did the same thing,

Typ0
03-02-2003, 01:26 PM
I know he played in NFL europe that season but are you certain that is why he got fatigued? I'm not so sure. Putting him on double duty again would just be a test to see if that was true and I think there are better alternatives than to run such a test this season.