PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it..

Tatonka
11-20-2006, 06:50 PM
After watching the game yesterday.. and watching nate shut down another top 5 wr, i realized that he has been that good his whole career.. look at his history against the very best wrs in this league.

he has shut down moss, chad johnson, roy williams.. i mean over the years he has played against the best and almost always comes out ahead.. his guys RARELY ever blow up.

i like mcgee.. and i have high hopes for youboty.. with whitner and simpson on the back side.. why not spend the money on nate and keep this caliber of secondary here for a run.. all those guys back there, barring nate, are signed for at least the next 3-4 years..

keep nate. he is a top cb in this league, as much as i hate to say it.. i really think he is worth the money.

i also think it will go a long way towards helping buffalo keep their name on the map as far as other FAs.

YardRat
11-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree. Nate's a keeper, and he's starting to play like one again. Maybe he just needed a few games to get adjusted.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-20-2006, 06:57 PM
its gonna cost us dearly, but he is showing that he is worth it...but does he want to stay? if we put some wins toghether and he sees that we may be a team on the rise he may want to stay.

X-Era
11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
After watching the game yesterday.. and watching nate shut down another top 5 wr, i realized that he has been that good his whole career.. look at his history against the very best wrs in this league.

he has shut down moss, chad johnson, roy williams.. i mean over the years he has played against the best and almost always comes out ahead.. his guys RARELY ever blow up.

i like mcgee.. and i have high hopes for youboty.. with whitner and simpson on the back side.. why not spend the money on nate and keep this caliber of secondary here for a run.. all those guys back there, barring nate, are signed for at least the next 3-4 years..

keep nate. he is a top cb in this league, as much as i hate to say it.. i really think he is worth the money.

i also think it will go a long way towards helping buffalo keep their name on the map as far as other FAs.

I have to agree, if you get a decent CB, you keep him. Its tough to find guys that can go one on one with the leagues best. If you dont have one, people spend very high picks trying to get them. I just dont want to spend yet another 1st rounder on a DB. We have the money, hes returning to form, lets pay him and lock this position up long term.

Michael82
11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I take back all my comments on Nate Clements. If he keeps up the play that he has been doing over the last 3 weeks, he needs to stay. Pay the man the money he has earned, Marv! :pray:

X-Era
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
its gonna cost us dearly, but he is showing that he is worth it...but does he want to stay? if we put some wins toghether and he sees that we may be a team on the rise he may want to stay.

I hink he would stay, hes got friends here, hes settled.

I could see a contract for 6 or more years for say, 45 mill. Bailey got 7 years for 63 mill.

If its backloaded we could be looking at hits of like:

1) 4.5
2) 5.5
3) 7.5
4) 8.5
5) 9.5
6) 9.5

Considering the salary cap increase now, this is a good contract for us and him and we can always renegotiate later.

30-4.5 leaves us a ton still to take care of business.

Typ0
11-20-2006, 07:16 PM
this organization has been trying to lock him up for two seasons and can't get the deal done. He wants to hit FA.

Historian
11-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I would try and keep him.

He always gets assigned to the other teams top WR and they generally have a mediocre to bad day against him.

Not to mention, in this division, you need to try to counter Brady's passing.

And especially since most of our draft should be dedicated towards the OFFENSIVE LINE next spring.

OpIv37
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not 100% sold on Nate but I'm starting to come around. He was bad for most of this year and all of last year, but he's had 2 great games in a row and might be returning to form.

He's not worth Champ Bailey money but he's worth keeping for a little less.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-20-2006, 08:19 PM
You have to look at the system he plays. One thing I noticed -- and I think Fletcher in one of his interview confirmed -- is that the Bills changed up their defense a little bit. It's a lot more not Tampa 2 coverages. Clements is now matched with the opponents top WR most of the time. So he's back to his usual one-on-one coverages.

This way, they get the opposing top receivers away from McGee who has been killed before the bye. It also shows in the stats that teams are beginning to throw more to Clements direction because, well, their guy is one-on-one against a corner for a change. To his credit, Clements has played up to this challenge.

Top one-on-one cover corners are of premium. For Clements, you becha that he's going to be paid handsomely this winter. The question for the Bills is that they are in a system that requires premium players at the front (DTs) and back (Safeties) and they have invested heavily in those areas accordingly (top draft picks in those areas, expansive FAs in #98). A CB of the caliber of Clements certainly helps, but it is more of luxury if the other parts work properly.

Right now the Bills need this luxury because the other parts are not working completely. At the management level, however, you gotta ask yourself what can you get the biggest bang out of your bucks: on a luxury or on some other needy parts.

BAM
11-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Glad to see him showing up! I wish he played like this all the time!

SpillerThrills
11-20-2006, 09:17 PM
this organization has been trying to lock him up for two seasons and can't get the deal done. He wants to hit FA.

but he's been wanting top CB money and he hasn't been performing well enough to deserve it so Ralph and Co. hasn't wanted to give it up..... if he keeps playing this way then hopefully they will put up the $$$$ and sign him long term.

HHURRICANE
11-20-2006, 09:18 PM
If we sign him now we cannot use the franchise tag on another player for the length of his contract. He's history whether we like it or not. Marv, who I like, screwed the pooch on this one.

Devin
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
To sign Nate, especially in another year where there is nobody close to his ability will cost ballpark 50 Mil. maybe even more.

I am all for it, I just dont see Ralph paying that kind of money.

Dozerdog
11-20-2006, 10:07 PM
you can allways tag him again

TacklingDummy
11-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Keep Nate. Open up the pocket book.

The Bills would be stupid not to keep Nate with all that cap room they have.

PECKERWOOD
11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I've been saying this forever, and alot of people were disagreeing with me. It's nice to see a change of heart around here! :D I WANT PROPS DAMMIT!

chernobylwraiths
11-20-2006, 10:24 PM
I say too much money. Not that Ralph won't pay it, but we need to put that kind of money where it will count much more on the lines. I would much rather pay that kind of money to Dwight Freeney than to Nate, or a top tackle if one is available. Good scheme and a very good pass rush will make up for mediocre cornerbacks. NE won a SB with Troy Brown and guys off the street at CB. Lastly, Clements is a me type guy and I don't know if Marv and Jauron will want that on this team next year. You might see a lot more big names gone next year.

Scumbag College
11-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Nate is too hot and cold for my taste. Remember what Chambers did to him last year in Miami??? When Nate is on, like he has been the last couple of weeks, he's a force and has been one of the best players on the field. But before the bye week, he was virtually invisible out there. IF Ralph is going to spend the money, spend it on the O and D lines, but that is a gigantic IF.

gr8slayer
11-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I didnt think so before this season but he has really started to get it going.

Typ0
11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
but he's been wanting top CB money and he hasn't been performing well enough to deserve it so Ralph and Co. hasn't wanted to give it up..... if he keeps playing this way then hopefully they will put up the $$$$ and sign him long term.

but he wants to test the market not sign for some amount. another team will probably pay more than we will...if he wants to test the market and stay he can accept a matching offer from us when the bids come in. I expect his camp is standing strong in contract negotiations because they want to test the market instead of lock up a long term deal.