PDA

View Full Version : The Jets may finally become a true NY team

ArcticWildMan
03-01-2003, 12:32 PM
The AP reports the New York Jets have unveiled their plan for a $1.2 billion stadium on Manhattan's West Side, It will come complete with a retractable dome and seating for 85,000 fans. According to Jets president Jay Cross, the new facility would host four major rock concerts per year, along with 10 football games and more than 150 other events. The Jets current lease at Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands in New Jersey expires in 2008.

About damn time they started playing in NY state!!!

Brian H
03-01-2003, 12:33 PM
I heard there will be no tailgating parking tho!

venis2k1
03-01-2003, 12:48 PM
i bet they get the superbowl the year that stadium opens

justasportsfan
03-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian H
I heard there will be no tailgating parking tho!

That's the last thing you ever want Jets fans to do. Tailgate , get drunk and destroy the city!

Ebenezer
03-01-2003, 01:54 PM
I want to hear blood curdling screams of injustice if they get $1 of public money...you know it is going to happen and the public will gleefully bend over and take it...

I told you all this would happen. Be happy if Galisano buys the Sabres.

iceblizzard69
03-01-2003, 03:19 PM
I live on the West Side, but luckily for me I will be long gone from this ****ty city by the time the stadium is complete.

don137
03-01-2003, 03:23 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing Eb when I heard it. I am sure they are going to be asking a lot from the local and state government when it comes time to funding it.
I remember Steinbrenner a couple of years ago talking about building a new stadium for the Yankees with a lot of the stadium financed by the local and state government. You know it will be a matter of time before he does the same thing

The_Philster
03-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
i bet they get the superbowl the year that stadium opens

If not the first year, then within 2 years max.

Michael82
03-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I want to hear blood curdling screams of injustice if they get $1 of public money...you know it is going to happen and the public will gleefully bend over and take it...

yup, and Pataki will be the first one on their side. He will claim that he wants the Jets to be the first team to finally become a true New York team.

Pataki:chair:Bills and Sabres Fans

The_Philster
03-02-2003, 05:38 AM
The New York Jets unveiled their plan for a $1.2 billion stadium on Manhattan's West Side, complete with a retractable dome and seating for 85,000 fans.

The proposed facility is a key part of the city's bid for the 2012 Olympics.

According to Jets president Jay Cross, the new facility would host four major rock concerts per year, along with 10 football games and more than 150 other events. The stadium would also allow the city to compete as a possible host for the NCAA Final Four....more (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0301/1516631.html)

Typ0
03-02-2003, 11:03 AM
The JETS played in New York for years. Their playing in GIANTS stadium has always been temporary....it has just lasted longer than anticipated when they moved over there.

WG
03-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

That's the last thing you ever want Jets fans to do. Tailgate , get drunk and destroy the city!

LOL Just! NY's too big a city for one championship to bring it down tho. LOL

Originally posted by Ebenezer

I hear ya Eb. Thus my biz staying in Virginia, eh. Taxes in NY suck. NYS however has a fund for stuff just like that, stadiums/arenas and such. Rochester hasn't figured that out yet apparently. LOL It'll be an interesting tax issue as I'm sure taxpayers will be expected to float the interest on interest free bonds for it. Hopefully just NYC taxes.

It will be good to bring back a team to NYC however.

justasportsfan
03-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

LOL Just! NY's too big a city for one championship to bring it down tho. LOL

I was talking about a regular game. If they ever lose a SB it would be the state. :D