PDA

View Full Version : duplicate post (from the sabres forum)

GFLuNEEDit
11-20-2006, 11:30 PM
what a route (and more expert opinion)

And this time it wasn't with an asterik because it came against Philly.

No more than 5 minutes into the game I posted a thread on the Bills Zone .
"turn on the Tv' (watch the sabres)

I could see the route coming.

So why did I post that thread ?

Because the Bills could take lessons from the Sabres on how to run a team, and I wanted the over-the-top 'true Bills fans' to get a look at a team that is expertly run.

I'm not sure if there was ever a team in any sport that has the depth the Sabres do .

It goes beyond the players they have in Buffalo and Rochester.

If you have NHL Center Ice you will see players all over the league that were original draft picks of the Sabres.

If they brought back the defensemen that play for other teams now, they could put together a top 6 that would be among the best defenses in the league.

And on the flip side you have the Bills who believe that depth and competition is detremental . They pioneered the use of "we don't want a player looking over another player's shoulder ".(flutie/johnson)

The Sabres didn't worry about the fact that they had Hasek and Biron, they went ahead and drafted Miller because he was the best player available.

And so far as I can tell it didn't drive Marty to the mental ward.

Every player on the Sabres roster has to compete for icetime.

The Bills believe in the opposite, locking a player in as a starter for entire seasons.

Levy didn't just strategically decide that the Bills were better served taking other players in the draft...instead he was and still appears to be emphatic about not taking a QB.

Is this excepted pratice and considered a proven approach among all GM's ?
Do they all agree with this ?

No not at all, look around the league.

So which approach is the wrong approach ?

Answer: It's the Bills that have another guess coming.

PECKERWOOD
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
what a route (and more expert opinion)

And this time it wasn't with an asterik because it came against Philly.

No more than 5 minutes into the game I posted a thread on the Bills Zone .
"turn on the Tv' (watch the sabres)

I could see the route coming.

So why did I post that thread ?

Because the Bills could take lessons from the Sabres on how to run a team, and I wanted the over-the-top 'true Bills fans' to get a look at a team that is expertly run.

I'm not sure if there was ever a team in any sport that has the depth the Sabres do .

It goes beyond the players they have in Buffalo and Rochester.

If you have NHL Center Ice you will see players all over the league that were original draft picks of the Sabres.

If they brought back the defensemen that play for other teams now, they could put together a top 6 that would be among the best defenses in the league.

And on the flip side you have the Bills who believe that depth and competition is detremental . They pioneered the use of "we don't want a player looking over another player's shoulder ".(flutie/johnson)

The Sabres didn't worry about the fact that they had Hasek and Biron, they went ahead and drafted Miller because he was the best player available.

And so far as I can tell it didn't drive Marty to the mental ward.

Every player on the Sabres roster has to compete for icetime.

The Bills believe in the opposite, locking a player in as a starter for an entire season.

Levy didn't just strategically decide that the Bills were better served taking other players in the draft...instead he was and still appears to be emphatic about not taking a QB.

Is this excepted pratice and considered a proven approach among all GM's ?
Do they all agree with this ?

No not at all, look around the league.

So which approach is the wrong approach ?

Answer: It's the Bills that have another guess coming.

Obviously depth is very important, but hockey and football are very different types of sports. In order to have depth, you have to make sure you have a solid starting lineup, and obviously the Bills are making strides at that.

Is that why Nall was signed to a hefty contract? It looks to me like JP had to compete with 2 other capable QB's for his job. Kyle Williams had to compete with Anderson for the starting spot. Price, Parrish and Reed all had to compete for their respective spots on the depth chart. Royal, Everrett and Neufeld all competed for the TE position. It seems like depth and player competition is what has pushed our team this year. Also, if our WR's aren't a good example of depth, look at our DE's. That has a Sabres look written all over it. Schobel, Denney, Kelsay and Hargrove. Pretty damn good if you ask me. Look at our LB position too. If you don't think Ellison is pushing for Spikes job, you are crazy. And thats pretty telling when you have one of our better defensive players suddenly becoming expendable. In conclusion, the Bills are lacking depth at a couple of key areas, in return it is holding us back. However, do not over look the fact that we do have depth in many other segments of our team.

GFLuNEEDit
11-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Obviously depth is very important, but hockey and football are very different types of sports. In order to have depth, you have to make sure you have a solid starting lineup, and obviously the Bills are making strides at that.

Is that why Nall was signed to a hefty contract? It looks to me like JP had to compete with 2 other capable QB's for his job. Kyle Williams had to compete with Anderson for the starting spot. Price, Parrish and Reed all had to compete for their respective spots on the depth chart. Royal, Everrett and Neufeld all competed for the TE position. It seems like depth and player competition is what has pushed our team this year. Also, if our WR's aren't a good example of depth, look at our DE's. That has a Sabres look written all over it. Schobel, Denney, Kelsay and Hargrove. Pretty damn good if you ask me. Look at our LB position too. If you don't think Ellison is pushing for Spikes job, you are crazy. And thats pretty telling when you have one of our better defensive players suddenly becoming expendable. In conclusion, the Bills are lacking depth at a couple of key areas, in return it is holding us back. However, do not over look the fact that we do have depth in many other segments of our team.

You'll probably never hear Ruff or Regier say that any young player is locked in as a starter.

Doing that is self defeating.

Jauron and Levy have verbally boxed themslves in with the comments they make .

You'll never hear Parcells, Shannahan etc. doing the same.

They are smarter than that.

Hell Lindy had no hesitation benching Vanek in the playoffs !

PECKERWOOD
11-21-2006, 12:44 AM
You'll probably never hear Ruff or Regier say that any young player is locked in as a starter.

Doing that is self defeating.

Jauron and Levy have verbally boxed themslves in with the comments they make .

They are smarter than that.

Hell Lindy had no hesitation benching Vanek in the playoffs !

It's funny how you included Parcells to the list, for having the balls to bench Bledslow. Really not much of an achievement, Bledsoe eventually gets dethroned in every city he migrates to. I'm not going to take anything away from Parcells, a very entertaining coach to say the least.

I'm not sure if you read my whole post.. But NHL and NFL are two different sports. In the NHL you have to have multiple lineups to keep your men fresh, with the NFL that isn't as necessary. Keep in mind football players only have to play 1 time a week, hockey players play multiple games in a week. So obviously you have to keep your team healthy..

GFLuNEEDit
11-21-2006, 12:58 AM
It's funny how you included Parcells to the list, for having the balls to bench Bledslow. Really not much of an achievement, Bledsoe eventually gets dethroned in every city he migrates to. I'm not going to take anything away from Parcells, a very entertaining coach to say the least.

I'm not sure if you read my whole post.. But NHL and NFL are two different sports. In the NHL you have to have multiple lineups to keep your men fresh, with the NFL that isn't as necessary. Keep in mind football players only have to play 1 time a week, hockey players play multiple games in a week. So obviously you have to keep your team healthy..

Are you saying that benching Losman would be more epic than benching Bledsoe ?

Do you think Parcells would have any problem with it ?

PECKERWOOD
11-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Are you saying that benching Losman would be more epic than benching Bledsoe ?

Do you think Parcells would have any problem with it ?

Yes it would be more epic. Because: 1.) Losman is coming off of a career game. 2.) We have nobody to replace Losman.

Yes, it would be a very stupid decision on Parcells part.

GFLuNEEDit
11-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Yes it would be more epic. Because: 1.) Losman is coming off of a career game. 2.) We have nobody to replace Losman.

Yes, it would be a very stupid decision on Parcells part.

I never mentioned benching him now.

It doesn't appear in anything I wrote

Night Train
11-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Did anyone once refer to you as Hogboy ? You seem to resemble a troll from another board.

GFLuNEEDit
11-21-2006, 05:45 AM
Did anyone once refer to you as Hogboy ? You seem to resemble a troll from another board.

You seem to resemble a hog's ass.