X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

DTs have been down right putrid.

I just have to get this off my chest. The Bills DTs this season have again been horrible in stopping the run and penetrating offensive lines. Nothing new, I understand, but upgrades of Tripplett and 1st round draftee of McCargo have given us little help.

In retrospect, drafting Whitner proved to be a worthy pick with our 1st pick, but not signing a monster DT like Ngata or Bunkley may have been too big of a risk.

First, let us not forget that the Bills had a run stuffing SS in Lawyer Milloy (that they chose to just release rather then offer up as trade bait). So signing Matt Bowen in the off season should have filled any void that Milloy could have created.

Tim Anderson has exceeded many of our expectations, but he's a long way off from becoming the monster DT that we so require.

I like the atheleticism of Tripplet, but he doesn't have the size necessary to reverse a runners direction. He's easily blocked out of a play or over powered throughout the game. Now, if he was positioned beside a hoss who required doubling up during plays, Tripplet becomes more of a threat.

I'd like to see this addressed in FA this off season along with the offensive line. I'm soooooooo f'n tired of ****ty running teams bulling their way over our DTs for big gains as well as not helping our DBs out having them tied up one on one for far too long downfield.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: DTs have been down right putrid.

The problem is Ngata and Bunkley are not cover 2 type DT's.

Williams is playing well and might be the most improved player on the team. Triplett is playing better. Anderson is still Anderson. A back-up DT.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Did you mean Kyle Williams Red?

The team is getting better. Although they started slow against the texans, they came up big when it mattered most, crunch time. I believe we will get better . Give the players time to adjust to the new system and each other.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
        I
        Tim Anderson has exceeded many of our expectations, but he's a long way off from becoming the monster DT that we so require.

You mean Kyle Williams right? Anderson sucks a D.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

Here is a shocker for you ----------------

As long as Schobel is lined up on Sundays, we have a liability at run defense.

Go back and look at tapes. It is true. He's easy to be taken out.

Reason: size (240lb playing weight) and poor run defense techniques.

Now he's good pass rusher. But just like Freeney, he's a liability at run defense. Ever wonder why Indy cannot stop run despite all the high profile DTs they brought in in recent years? Of course in Indy's case their best run defender is Payton Manning; when he puts up a couple of TDs on the scoreboard quickly and early, magically their run defense becomes much better.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Look, the D-line sucks. Period. We can't stop the run and we don't have a pass rush. That points upfront. Triplett needs help. PERIOD. We need to stop thinking that backups can be starters. Denney, Kelsay, Anderson, and even Schobel aren't play makers. I have never seen Schobel make a game changing play, ever. He gets his garbage sacks and that's about it. And he's the best we have right now. This line will need a serious injection of FA and trade help. No doubt!!

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

I did mean Williams...sorry. And thanks for helping me prove a point on Anderson.

And how does it really matter that Bunkley and Ngata aren't right for the system. Their presence and size are enough to plug holes and demand the necessary attention.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

I cant see us spending much money on DT Red. We signed Tripplett to a decent contract and drafted Mcargo in the first.

Comment

• Stewie
                  Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                  • Aug 2002

There are very few teams that can generate a consistent rush with 4 players.
                  Originally posted by Topdog
                  Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                  Originally posted by mercyrule
                  I love Weiner.
                  Originally posted by mercyrule
                  also cheese

Comment

• eyedog
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by paulB
                    There are very few teams that can generate a consistent rush with 4 players.
                    True. And the one's that can are the ones that usually play in the play-offs.

I also am not big on this Tampa-2 defense we now use. I said it in August that the run defense was going to be a problem every week with this small quick d-lineman scheme. I don't like it. It works when you get a big lead and the other team needs to throw all the time but if you are playing a tight game your in trouble. I want at least one fat ass in the middle of that line eating up blockers ans space.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't call Schobel a garbage sack king. The guy has really put up good numbers over the years. Is he better on passing attmepts then running? Sure, I can agreee with that, but in 5 1/2 years he's already mounted 54.5 sacks.

Now is that Bruce Smith like numbers? No, but to fairly compare, through 5 1/2 season Smith had 65.5 sacks. Schobel is respectively only 11 sacks off that mark. Now, I'm not at all saying that Schobel and Smith are one in the same, but what I am saying is that Schoble is better then most. He is above average. If he were to disappear next season, I can guarantee he would be greatly and noticably missed.

Comment

• RedEyE
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                        I cant see us spending much money on DT Red. We signed Tripplett to a decent contract and drafted Mcargo in the first.
                        You are probably right, Thurm, but the Bills do have the money to spend and after they'er done beefing up that OL and negotiating contracts with a few other players that deserve to stay, there is more than likely going to be plenty left over.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                          Look, the D-line sucks. Period. We can't stop the run and we don't have a pass rush. That points upfront. Triplett needs help. PERIOD. We need to stop thinking that backups can be starters. Denney, Kelsay, Anderson, and even Schobel aren't play makers. I have never seen Schobel make a game changing play, ever. He gets his garbage sacks and that's about it. And he's the best we have right now. This line will need a serious injection of FA and trade help. No doubt!!
                          Schobel has been one of the leading sackers in the NFL for the past 5 years. If you think he sucks then you must hold the vast majority of NFL defensive ends in very low regard. Schobel is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS
                            Schobel has been one of the leading sackers in the NFL for the past 5 years. If you think he sucks then you must hold the vast majority of NFL defensive ends in very low regard. Schobel is part of the solution, not part of the problem.
                            He is a great passrusher but he is putrid against the run. He either takes himself out of the play with his over aggressiveness or he just flat out gets overpowered because of his size.
                            My Band
                            daveviterna.com

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by RedEyE
                              First, let us not forget that the Bills had a run stuffing SS in Lawyer Milloy (that they chose to just release rather then offer up as trade bait). So signing Matt Bowen in the off season should have filled any void that Milloy could have created.
                              I don't think Milloy had much trade value, especialy given his age, his contract (entering it's baloon years) and his having been hurt the year prior.

That said, I agree DT is still a need for Buffalo. Good DT are hard to find, and teams need to address it consistently. I think it is too early to judge McCargo, and Williams is a good rotational player who can help (nothing special, however).

The biggest issue has been Tripplet not making a big impact. In hindsight, they probably over-rated his talent and he doesn't look to be the answer.

However, I'm sure Buffalo is aware of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X