PDA

View Full Version : What is the most worthless stat?

ParanoidAndroid
11-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Here's my suggestion for the most worthless statistic in the NFL.

Feel free to suggest your own.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9820377

Bling
11-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Some idiot trying convincing me that Losman = Manning based on Texans' stats. Right.

HHURRICANE
11-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Some idiot trying convincing me that Losman = Manning based on Texans' stats. Right.

Somebody convincing me that Ronnie Browns is an NFL running back.

HHURRICANE
11-21-2006, 05:14 PM

I digressed. The most meaningless stat would have to be sacks against Culpepper.

Bling
11-21-2006, 06:02 PM

:rofl: You're joking, right? Don't even bother posting again if you really believe that...

Bling
11-21-2006, 06:03 PM
I digressed. The most meaningless stat would have to be sacks against Culpepper.

How lame. Couldn't hit the first time, so you had to try again?

SABURZFAN
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
a QB's pass rating.

ParanoidAndroid
11-21-2006, 06:22 PM

Thanks for ruining any discussion that might have occured on the actual topic.

I thought you were a decent poster, but now you're getting annoying.

set to ignore

SABURZFAN
11-21-2006, 06:26 PM

getting????i've been saying that for years.

YardRat
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
a QB's pass rating.

Ditto.

Bling
11-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for ruining any discussion that might have occured on the actual topic.

set to ignore

O noes... I'm not here to appease or sugarcoat anything. I'll tell it like it is, you guys can groan me, neg me, report me, stalk me, verbally attack me. Whatever.

TigerJ
11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
O noes... I'm not here to appease or sugarcoat anything. I'll tell it like it is, you guys can groan me, neg me, report me, stalk me, verbally attack me. Whatever.

Your post was off topic. You used a perfectly legitimate topic to slam Losman and those who like him. For the record, while several posters mentioned that his performance versus the Texans may have been Manning-like, no one seriously compares him to Manning. At this point we don't know whether he's going to be a bust, a journeyman, a solid NFL starter, or a star. After an early season struggle we finally got a performance out of Losman that we think points to his potential. If you want to rain on our parade there are plenty of other perfectly on topic threads you can post on, but you're out of line on this thread.

OpIv37
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Stats are good for helping to determine why a team won or lost, and season stats are good for determining off-season needs.

In the end, the only stat that matters is W-L.

PECKERWOOD
11-21-2006, 10:00 PM

O noes...

Wtf? Are you a computer nerd or something? Who the **** says O noes??? Wow, get a life jerk off.

you guys can groan me, neg me, report me, stalk me, verbally attack me. Whatever.

I do all these things and you cry about the ToS. You poor baby. :(

Ebenezer
11-22-2006, 01:43 AM
all worthless except the Wins and Losses

LtFinFan66
11-22-2006, 01:51 AM
Exactly what I was thinking Eb. Perfect example by the Fins this past weekend. -3 yards rushing but got a W

alohabillsfan
11-22-2006, 07:34 AM
I think it is perfectly fine to compare Losman to Manning..... Eli that is!

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Aikmen is on crack. Any ranking system that doesn't have Arizona last and Detroit right there with them is BS, IMO.

Wraith
11-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Stats are good for helping to determine why a team won or lost, and season stats are good for determining off-season needs.

In the end, the only stat that matters is W-L.

Well said.

I have to laugh at everyone who says stats are "meaningless" or "worthless" or whatever. That is total BS.

I work as an engineer in manufacturing. At the end of the day, we measure success by first pass yield. 96% for us is a damn good day. But we measure a whole host of other parameters to ensure we keep the most important statistic, yield, at a desired level.

You would never catch me saying "meh, temperature readouts are worthless, our yield is still good. So what if our temperatures are wildly out of control and we're only 1 degree from degrading the resin?" I would promptly get the crap beaten out of me (figuratively, of course).

Experts have a phrase for getting good results (such as wins) while the process is out of control (such as a horribly imbalanced offense) and it's called the Brink of Chaos. It means everything is not good just because the results are still good. The Colts of the last few years spring immediately to mind. The results were good for a long while, but it was always a matter of time before their short comings caught up with them.

Passing statistics, includer QB Rating, and running statistics, have their place as they are used to evaluate the health of the process, and to make necessary adjustments, to ensure the results continue to be positive. Above all else, remember two things about statistics: Know the context of all data presented to you, and they are not an end, but a means to an end.

pats-were-right
11-22-2006, 08:24 AM
A QB's yards thrown, i.e., he's thrown for 20,000 yards, 30,000 yards, etc.

Jeff1220
11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
A QB's yards thrown, i.e., he's thrown for 20,000 yards, 30,000 yards, etc.

I know. If a QB is mediocre with longevity, this stat could make him look like a HOFer.

THATHURMANATOR
11-22-2006, 11:26 AM
:hi5: You totally owned Bling! NICE WORK!

ParanoidAndroid
11-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Pittsburgh is #11 on Aikman's efficiency list. What is the significance? This is clearly not a very dependable measure of a team's success rate.
I guess I just looked at that article with Aikman's picture on the top and said to myself, "Give me a break."

Wraith
11-22-2006, 11:52 AM
I know. If a QB is mediocre with longevity, this stat could make him look like a HOFer.

Not to mention it doesn't take into account how many times the QB throws the ball. A few weeks back when Losman threw for 108 yards on 15 attempts against Green Bay, people on this board were upset because Joey Harrington had thrown for 414 yards against the same defense. What they all failed to mention was that Harrington passed the ball 62 TIMES THAT GAME. Yards/Attempt is an alright measure but it is confounding the average length gained with completion percentage. Yards/Completions presented with completion percentage are much better indicators in my mind.

justasportsfan
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Not to mention it doesn't take into account how many times the QB throws the ball. A few weeks back when Losman threw for 108 yards on 15 attempts against Green Bay, people on this board were upset because Joey Harrington had thrown for 414 yards against the same defense. What they all failed to mention was that Harrington passed the ball 62 TIMES THAT GAME. Yards/Attempt is an alright measure but it is confounding the average length gained with completion percentage. Yards/Completions presented with completion percentage are much better indicators in my mind.you should post more often :up:

Wraith
11-22-2006, 12:03 PM
you should post more often :up:

Thanks!