PDA

View Full Version : Hope JP has a cool head

ghz in pittsburgh
11-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Engineering a game winning drive at the end and you get noticed. ESPN's Sean Salisbury gave him props. Even my local sports radio guys joked that Losman is hot right now - what do they know about Bills QBs?

The fact that JP threw three perfect passes for TDs on very difficult plays may have something to do with it. These are not some obvious blown coverage or what the defense give you; those were results of his unique talent making plays most of the QBs could not make. How many QBs can slip the footing, and have 3 guys just about crushing you and still throw the ball 50+ yards in the air, dropping over the CB's head into your receiver's hand in stride? I really doubt Tom Brady would make the 2nd TD pass Losman threw to Evans, on a 45-yard-in-the-air beam between the CB and safety into the hands of Evans, again in full stride.

Now I'm not saying Losman is better than Brady. Not by a long shot. What's important here is that those obvious plays - blown coverage plays or anticipated blown coverage plays that elite QBs like Brady routinely make that Losman hasn't been able to make regularly, or take whatever-defense-gives-you plays that Losman needs to make. Those are what will make or break Losman's career as an NFL quarterback.

I like that last drive in particular not just because it produced the winning TD, but the way he did it. I remember the end of the Jets game where Losman looked downfield for too long, threw two bad passes to McGahee the last second, and failed to convert on a 4th down pass. You can tell his improvement in the Texans game. He looked deep first, looking for obvious blown coverage, and throw easy completions to Thomas to get 1st downs - in my book, getting 1st downs is the most critical part because it allows you to move closer to take shots. With each passes to Thomas, it drew the linebackers who were sitting deep closer and closer to the shallow area, which allowed the pass intended for Roscoe but caught by Evans for 19 yard gain. Now you are in that area where you can take shots to the endzone and utilize your unique physical ability.

Making spectacular plays are great; they make you noticed on ESPN. Making routine plays, converting 3rd downs are bread and butter plays for a QB. Losman has a long way to go in that area and I hope he does not coming out looking for those spectacular plays every time next week.

Wraith
11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Very well said. Like you said, it's nice to know he can make such spectacular plays under pressure like he did Sunday. But also like you said, he cannot forgot to do the mundane but crucial things that set up the spectacular plays.