PDA

View Full Version : First Half Offense vs. Houston

gr8slayer
11-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Just going over the film again and thought I would share a few things.

This was the best I have seen our OL play all year.

- On the first big pass everyone blocked great, my only concern is Pennington and Preston not keeping their shoulders square to the LOS. Because of this two blitzers ended up going right through Pennington's hole. We kept Royal in to protect but it was almost like he wasnt therhe, he got man handled and over powered.

- Second big pass was just simply wonderful blocking all the way around.

- We got pinned inside our own ten twice. Once was because of a holding penalty on a kickoff.

- Missed tackles were out of control. I counted seven total, two of which were by by Whitner.

- I have concluded that we simply cannot zone block worth a crap. Too many of our guys get blown away as soon as they make contact.

- Peters has been by far the best OL so far in the first half. He is doing what is so hard to teach to an OL. You lock on, drive, and finish your block with a chop. For some reason people have trouble figuring this out but he does is VERY well.

- A. Thomas is a hell of a blocker in the passing game, better than Willis IMO.

- We ran a couple of crazy plays in the first half that I loved. On one play (first quarter 1:36) literally the whole line except for Pennington pulled on a stretch play. Fowler and Preston both just blew up the defender and Fowler even takes out two guys with a well timed chop block.

- All the talk about Royal in the off-season was about how great he was at run blocking. I gotta tell you, he stinks. This guy got blown up more than a couple of times, granted he was mostly getting blown up by Mario Williams but still, you can at least stale mate.

- Pennington has a ways to go, as I mentioned before he has this thing about turning his shoulders to block a defender. The first thing you are taught is to keep them square. Once he learns this he should be fine.

Anyway, that is the first half in a nutshell from my stand point.

Mad Bomber
11-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Nice post, gr8. Pretty much sums it up. :bf1:

SABURZFAN
11-22-2006, 09:36 PM
our great QB proved all of the haters wrong. :up:

TacklingDummy
11-22-2006, 10:01 PM

Realistic fans realize the Houston game was just 1 game.

Realistic fans are not impressed with 5 wins as a starter. 2 of them against the Texans, 1 against a bad Green Bay team, 1 against Miami who was playing terrible at the time and JP pretty much did nothing to help the Bills win that game, and 1 against the Vikes.

Hopefully JP can build on the success he had against Houston. I doubt it but ya never know.

gr8slayer
11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Realistic fans realize the Houston game was just 1 game.

Realistic fans are not impressed with 5 wins as a starter. 2 of them against the Texans, 1 against a bad Green Bay team, 1 against Miami who was playing terrible at the time and JP pretty much did nothing to help the Bills win that game, and 1 against the Vikes.

Hopefully JP can build on the success he had against Houston. I doubt it but ya never know.
Too bad you are just a Bills Basher and not a realistic fan.

gr8slayer
11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey, if he does it this week he will make me feel much better about supporting him.

Mad Bomber
11-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while....