PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network is biggest turkey this year

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-22-2006, 11:30 PM
when we have served up on a football-shaped Tiffany platter the grandmother of all turkeys itself: the National Football League? It's a crime: depriving many of us of its best Thanksgiving game, Kansas City vs. Denver, because the NFL Network isn't carried on Time Warner Cable, the nation’s No. 2 cable operator; Cablevision, a New York-area provider; and Charter Communications because of disputes over how much money the NFL wants.

Local outlets will show the game, as will satellite TV and cable systems that do carry the NFL Network. But that's only 40 million of the nation’s 111.4 million households with TVs.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15731339/

Marvelous
11-22-2006, 11:41 PM
No excuse for any diehard football fan to not have direct tv, Sunday Ticket. Granted if someone can't afford it then i understand, or like my previous situation the HOA are assclowns and said it was a fire hazzard... But i kinda thinks it's funny that some fans who can't get NFL network on cable still complain they are gonna miss the game.. Not like it's a Bills game or a relevant game to us anyways...But Direct tv is affordable for those who don't know..

Sunday ticket package- $275 for the season.
-includes 3months of every pay channel.
-NFL Superfan- some gay channels that feature several games and one that will swicth tp whatever team is in teh redzone.. I've yet to have interest in teh channel.. But mainly for those with a HD tv, this sup;erfan is the only way to get the games in HD though direct tv. This is $100. but HD football is the best thing football for me since the internet...

just a FYI for those who never considered direct tv and it's 8 year contract with teh NFL.

Typ0
11-22-2006, 11:44 PM
it doesn't matter to me we all have directv.

LtFinFan66
11-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Why blame the NFL Network?? Blame Time Warner. I have DirecTV and have no problems

Billz_fan
11-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Direct Tv is every bit as affordable as cable. I understand those in condo's and complexes having issues. If your not one of them though you need to make the switch.

Nicer program packages to. I will have DTV as long as they have the Sunday ticket contract. Im not sure how I ever made it without it.

We also have the High def. setup as well. OMG it is amazing.

jamze132
11-23-2006, 04:17 AM
[QUOTE=Marv No excuse for any diehard football fan to not have direct tv, Sunday Ticket. QUOTE]

Well I am diehard Bills fan and I don't have DirecTV since I am forced to live in Italy for the next two years. All I get is AFN which shows two games at 7:00pm and the rest are on in the middle of the night. What am I to do? All I can do is listen in through NFL FieldPass. Hell I can't even watch on NFL gamepass since Italy's internet system is in the stone ages.

But I did have the Sunday Ticket back in the states when I wasn't living in an apartment that didn't allow satelite dishes. And when I did live in an apartment where I couldn't get DirecTV, I found beer at a bar each Sunday where I could watch each and every Bills game. And I tell ya, there is nothing like living on the west coast and going to the bar at 0930 and start drinking before the game starts at 10 am! Oh those where the good ole' days.

BlackMetalNinja
11-23-2006, 07:04 AM
I'm in an apartment complex and next to my apartment is nothing but trees... DirecTV is not an option for me a tall... so I get to miss the only game I care to watch today. I'll survive though, it's just rather annoying that the NFL Network isn't carried on most main cable sources.

don137
11-23-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm in an apartment complex and next to my apartment is nothing but trees... DirecTV is not an option for me a tall... so I get to miss the only game I care to watch today. I'll survive though, it's just rather annoying that the NFL Network isn't carried on most main cable sources.

Anytime the Dolphins are on it is fun rooting against them....

Philagape
11-23-2006, 08:06 AM
All this complaining, and Chiefs-Broncos will probably be a boring dud

The_Philster
11-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Why blame the NFL Network?? Blame Time Warner. I have DirecTV and have no problems
To Buffalo area cable subscribers:
It's totally Time Warner's fault. Cable bills had already gone up before Time Warner took over Adelphia....supposedly the raise was to cover the cost of Empire Sports...NFL Network was meant to replace Empire as a sports network on Adelphia. Did Time Warner drop your costs when they took over and took away NFL Network...and ESPNU, that you were already paying for?

mybills
11-23-2006, 08:42 AM
I get to watch all 3 games with my digital cox. :snicker:

gr8slayer
11-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Dont have NFL Network? Pony up and get a freaking dish. Not that complicated.

gr8slayer
11-23-2006, 08:48 AM
I hate that people think its their "right" to watch the NFL, like it should be free to everyone. It just like any movie is entertainment. It's like HBO, you want to watch the newest movies you need to pay up.

mybills
11-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Dont have NFL Network? Pony up and get a freaking dish. Not that complicated.
Not that easy, either. Especially when you're surrounded by trees that aren't yours to cut down, like I am. Or in an apt building surrounded by trees like BMN is.

Oh wait, you didn't read that post, did you? :shakeno:

DynaPaul
11-23-2006, 09:47 AM
I hate that people think its their "right" to watch the NFL, like it should be free to everyone. It just like any movie is entertainment. It's like HBO, you want to watch the newest movies you need to pay up.

It's in the NFL's interest to reap in as many viewers as possible.

OpIv37
11-23-2006, 10:37 AM
when we moved, I wouldn't even look at places where I couldn't get DirecTV. As soon as we pulled into a neighborhood, the first thing I did was look for the dishes.

Cable has added some nice features, but they are friggin expensive and I can't speak for Time Warner, but I know both Cox and Comcast have horrendous customer service.

Also, I don't really know much about the industry, but shouldn't Time Warner be able to MAKE money off of this game? Hell, if as many people watch it as predicted, they should be able to charge a premium for advertising. DirecTV, Dish and Comcast don't seem to have a problem with it.

BAM
11-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I'll probably get the dish and Sunday Ticket once we buy a house (hopefully in the spring if we find one we like) and get out of this small ass apartment.

For now though I am fine going to the bar! They show every Bills game at a bar about 10 minutes from my house on a big ass TV, probably about a 50-60".

Either that or Buffalo Wild Wings. :rockon: Go Bills!

BILLSROCK1212
11-23-2006, 11:02 AM
when those with cable get the NFLN which wont be long you guys will regret that u ever got a dish and u will regret it even more peeps wit cable get somtin like sunday ticket.....both are not far off from happening but idc if i dont get sunday ticket i just want nfln but for me who has cablevision you know at some point the eventually always give in

The_Philster
11-23-2006, 11:05 AM
when those with cable get the NFLN which wont be long you guys will regret that u ever got a dish why would I regret paying less for more? :huh:

OpIv37
11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
when those with cable get the NFLN which wont be long you guys will regret that u ever got a dish and u will regret it even more peeps wit cable get somtin like sunday ticket.....both are not far off from happening but idc if i dont get sunday ticket i just want nfln but for me who has cablevision you know at some point the eventually always give in

I will never regret going with DirecTV over cable- it's cheaper for more channels and the customer service is infinitely better. Also, Cox Cable has a ****ty signal unless you want to pay like $75 a month for digital service. I got better reception on the local channels with rabbit-ear antennas than with their cable signals.

Now, I'm out of market so I can't get the Bills games without Sunday Ticket- if it goes exclusive to cable, then I will have to re-think my current service provider arrangement. However, I highly doubt that will happen- I think it's possible that DirecTV will lose their exclusivity but I highly doubt they'll stop providing the package any time in the forseeable future.

Billz_fan
11-23-2006, 11:23 AM

eeee, uhhhh, yeah

You may see the NLFN if the cable companies get it together but as far as Sunday ticket goes I believe the Direct Tv contract with the NFL expires in 2010.

LtFinFan66
11-23-2006, 11:51 AM
when those with cable get the NFLN which wont be long you guys will regret that u ever got a dish and u will regret it even more peeps wit cable get somtin like sunday ticket.....both are not far off from happening but idc if i dont get sunday ticket i just want nfln but for me who has cablevision you know at some point the eventually always give inWhy would I regret it. I had cable and had the NFLN. I have a DVR....what can cable offer me the DirecTv can't?? Explain please

Night Train
11-23-2006, 11:52 AM
I will never go back to cable. The picture from the Dish is perfect, unlike cable. I had the original Primestar Dish ( remember that ? ) and have't paid for lousy cable in 12 years.

LtFinFan66
11-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Go Buckeyes!! Go DirecTv!!

Historian
11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
The money cable has been raping from it's customers for the past 25 years should have been reinvested in upgrades to programming and technology.

Cable rested on their laurels for way too long, and sattelite is reaping the benefits from it.

LtFinFan66
11-23-2006, 12:27 PM
:goodpost:

jamze132
11-23-2006, 03:25 PM
When I lived out in Tacoma, I had Comcast since I couldn't get the dish at the apartment and I was pretty satisfied with them. I paid $120 a month for digital cable, HD programming, the sports package thingy, HBO and highspeed internet. I never had a complaint about the signal or the quality. One gripe I had about satelite was when weather got ****ty, it goes out for a while. Over here in Italy, we get out AFN programming from a dish on top of the building and it loses it;s signal when the wind blows too hard.

But the only real reason I would go with DirecTV would be for the Sunday Ticket. And in a few years, you will be able to get it on cable as well.

Dozerdog
11-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Blame Time Warner. They pulled the same **** with the Yes network in New York & Long Island.

You, as a consumer- in most cases have the power to select a provider that will give you what you want.

Putting additional games on the NFL Network is a good thing. It gives all teams greater exposure on a national scale- so people who live outside of Buffalo have a greater chgance to seethe Bills on TV.

If this game was on 1 PM Sunday, that's one less game that would be seen nationally.

Michael82
11-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Blame Time Warner. They pulled the same **** with the Yes network in New York & Long Island.

You, as a consumer- in most cases have the power to select a provider that will give you what you want.

Putting additional games on the NFL Network is a good thing. It gives all teams greater exposure on a national scale- so people who live outside of Buffalo have a greater chgance to seethe Bills on TV.

If this game was on 1 PM Sunday, that's one less game that would be seen nationally.
Blame Time Warner? So the NFL is not at fault? Time Warner isnt alone in this. Don't forget Cablevision, and one other main cable company. Over 40 million cable customers wont get it. I think the NFL is a little guilty over how much they want to rape the companies for it.

gr8slayer
11-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Blame Time Warner? So the NFL is not at fault? Time Warner isnt alone in this. Don't forget Cablevision, and one other main cable company. Over 40 million cable customers wont get it. I think the NFL is a little guilty over how much they want to rape the companies for it.
The NFL does not own the NFL Network

Typ0
11-23-2006, 07:06 PM
about to kick off. I like directv. I don't have sunday ticket but do have the west coast feeds and get at least three more games a week than in my local market alone.

BlackMetalNinja
11-23-2006, 07:06 PM

Wrong you are sir...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Network

Typ0
11-23-2006, 07:07 PM

they own it...even if it's outsourced.

Dozerdog
11-23-2006, 07:14 PM
You have no clue. Quit being a baby.

If this game was on Sunday you would miss it anyway.

By allowing more networks to broadcast games-

1) More fans see their teams - especially if they live out of market
2) More variety of teams on Prime time & a wider variety of when games are on
3) More TV revenue generated for the league- thus more to split - thus more going to the Bills. It makes a team in Buffalo more viable
4) Raises the Salary cap (which is tied to revenue) which allows the Bills to sign or retain players

It sounds like you are just having a wet diaper because YOU are excluded from this game- a choice you made because you don't want to get a provider that carries NFL Network.

gr8slayer
11-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Wrong you are sir...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Network
Hmmm...... Dan Patrick said that it was not. Oh well.

Dozerdog
11-23-2006, 07:20 PM

Cable companies have a choice- carry the network or not.

Consumers have a choice- Cable or something else.

WAAAHHH.....they won't give it to me for free...WAHHHHHHH

The_Philster
11-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Adelphia carried NFL Network without raping their customers to pay for it...they put it in when Empire went out

The_Philster
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Hmmm...... Dan Patrick said that it was not. Oh well.
I guess there's a reason Rich Eisen was hired away from ESPN and Dan Patrick wasn't :laughter:

PECKERWOOD
11-24-2006, 01:53 AM
I was really high on cable, until I realized they have no Sunday Ticket. I'm just pissed off I have to choose between High Speed Internet and Sunday Ticket. I have digital internet, atm, and Time Warner's internet services are vastly superior.. That is the only thing they have on Direct Tv though. Direct TV has better customer service, and they want your business. I'm having a very hard time trying to get Time Warner to put in a new box closer to my house. My house is like 1-2 houses after where the box ends, and alls they need to do is replace the box, and I would be all set. This would only cost like $800.00 and I even offered to pay that. Honestly, I hope cable goes down the tubes, because their service ****ing SUCKS.

Historian
11-24-2006, 06:22 AM
You have no clue.

And how Mikey!

You're worried about a few stupid football games?

Look what else you're missing by not owning a dish with HDNet...

Here's the HDNet schedule for the next three days:
(All times Eastern)

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS:
Fri., Nov 24 - 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT * Premiere *
THE 23RD MISS HAWAIIAN TROPIC INTERNATIONAL PAGEANT PRESENTED BY TRIMSPA (2006)
The theme is "Carnivale" and it shows in the bright colors and vibrant costumes of the 23rd Miss Hawaiian Tropic International Beauty Pageant from Las Vegas, Nevada. The vivid neon of the strip are outshined by more than 100 of the world's most beautiful women as they take center stage. Great party action and exclusive back stage peeks guarantee a feast for the eyes.

Fri., Nov 24 - 9:00 PM ET / 6:00 PM PT * Premiere *
ART MANN PRESENTS...
Halloween In Hollywood
This is THE biggest Hollywood street party! There are easily 500,000 people in the most elaborate and creative costumes you will ever see. The party goes deep into the night with plenty of freaks and mayhem for your viewing pleasure.

Fri., Nov 24 - 9:30 PM ET / 6:30 PM PT * Premiere *
PERFECT 10 MODEL BOXING
Watch all natural beauties duke it at the stunning Perfect Ten mansion in Beverly Hills. Naureen "The Dream" Zaim fights to keep her perfect record intact. Beauty, brawn and boxing come together for Perfect Ten Model Boxing.

Sat., Nov 25 - 3:00 AM ET / 12:00 AM PT
BIKINI DESTINATIONS
South Beach - Take a trip with our bikini models into the Everglades as they get up close and personal with alligators. Then view Miami from a cigarette boat and party the night away at Nikki's beach.

Historian
11-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Cable stuffing the NFL this Thanksgiving

The NFL Network, which will show its first live football game Thursday night, isn't available even in most homes with cable.

A weekly column (http://money.cnn.com/commentary/column_sportsbiz/) by Chris Isidore (chris.isidore@turner.com), CNNMoney.com senior writer
November 22 2006: 7:50 AM EST
<!--startclickprintexclude-->
<!-- CONTENT --><!--endclickprintexclude-->
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Thanksgiving, a day given to excess, will include a third helping of pro football this year -- but only for a fraction of U.S. homes.
When the NFL Network, owned by the National Football League,shows its first live regular season game Thursday evening with the Denver Broncos facing off against the Kansas City Chiefs, only about 13 million of 70 million cable households will be able to see the game.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->

More...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/22/commentary/sportsbiz/index.htm

gr8slayer
11-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Trust me, you didnt miss much if you dont have NFLN. One of the most boring Thanksgiving Day's ever.

trapezeus
11-24-2006, 08:44 AM

Unfortunately, back in the 60's the NFL got anti-trust and monoply waivers from congress provided that the games are shown on free television. It is one of those things that helped the NFL get as big as it is, business wise.

Now, they are taking away the free broadcast piece and are expecting even more money. As is everything in life, greed brings down great things. And this may be the beginning for football. 25-30 years ago, who would have thought greed would have almost sunk baseball, and hockey.

I think the NFL is getting a little too big for it's britches.

G. Host
11-24-2006, 08:54 AM
No excuse for any diehard football fan to not have direct tv, Sunday Ticket. Granted if someone can't afford it then i understand, or like my previous situation the HOA are assclowns and said it was a fire hazzard... But i kinda thinks it's funny that some fans who can't get NFL network on cable still complain they are gonna miss the game.. Not like it's a Bills game or a relevant game to us anyways...But Direct tv is affordable for those who don't know..
Lots of people have reasons for not having DirectTV and a HOA is not only reason. If you do not want to get it there are other solutions including going to bars to watch the game.

NFL is trying to shove NFL Network down throat making everyone pick it up on standard tier and that is wrong.

mybills
11-24-2006, 09:00 AM
But the only real reason I would go with DirecTV would be for the Sunday Ticket. And in a few years, you will be able to get it on cable as well.
My cable company was $4 million short on their bid to get/offer the Sunday Ticket. I don't see them ever getting it. :ill:

jamze132
11-24-2006, 09:39 AM
My cable company was $4 million short on their bid to get/offer the Sunday Ticket. I don't see them ever getting it. :ill:Well as soon as NFL figures out that they can make twice as mich money by offering the Sunday Ticket to both satelite and cable providers, everyone will be happy. I would like to see the NFL stream their games over the net like MLB.tv does with baseball. NFL Gamepass does this but only for people who live outside US teritories. I happen to live in Italy right now and it would be a great thing but I can't get a fast enough internet connection here to actually watch the game. I can hear it and see like 1/10 sec. So I just listen on the NFL Fieldpass.

trapezeus
11-24-2006, 11:07 AM
another thing that is ridiculous is that, we, the tax payers, helped build all these stadiums, and cush parking deals for these owners and the NFL. They least they could do is give us the games we want to see.

they aren't going broke ni the process. They are gauging the fans...

Michael82
11-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Lots of people have reasons for not having DirectTV and a HOA is not only reason. If you do not want to get it there are other solutions including going to bars to watch the game.

NFL is trying to shove NFL Network down throat making everyone pick it up on standard tier and that is wrong.

:bf1:

Dozerdog
11-24-2006, 11:50 AM
My cable company was $4 million short on their bid to get/offer the Sunday Ticket. I don't see them ever getting it. :ill:

LOL.... Individual cable companies did not "bid" to carry the ticket.

Direct TV pays $700 Million a season through 2010 to be the exclusive carrier of the NFL. I seriously doubt a cable company bidder came up with $696 million and decided to walk away

Besides, the NFL owners are not very keen on having local cable companies carry their games to begin with. Sure, they can make one or two million hundred more, but the impact on local revenue and on local affiliates is huge.

I'm not to happy if I'm CBS in Buffalo and only a fraction of the football watching audience is tuned into a game I paid big bucks to carry.

Unless it is a deal in the BILLIONS, or if the ticket is priced in the $500 per user range, cable companies won't be carrying it anytime soon.

Any cable company that tells you that is lying through their teeth

mybills
11-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I guess they're lying then.

gr8slayer
11-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately, back in the 60's the NFL got anti-trust and monoply waivers from congress provided that the games are shown on free television. It is one of those things that helped the NFL get as big as it is, business wise.

Now, they are taking away the free broadcast piece and are expecting even more money. As is everything in life, greed brings down great things. And this may be the beginning for football. 25-30 years ago, who would have thought greed would have almost sunk baseball, and hockey.

I think the NFL is getting a little too big for it's britches.
But hey, can you blame them? THey are in the business to make money and they do it well.

LtFinFan66
11-24-2006, 11:20 PM

I think the NFL is getting a little too big for it's britches.you STILL get the same amount of games every week on so-called free TV do you not?? Two networks on Sunday afternoon and a Sunday night game instead of a Monday night game. Two freebies on Turkey day. What is there to ***** about compared to the 60's that would violate any agreement?? How did they take away a free broadcast piece?? you still got the Lions and Cowboys right?? Just curious??