PDA

View Full Version : Some of Pasquarelli's Sleepers...

WG
03-01-2003, 06:05 PM
...that I agree with.

"DE Brad Scioli Ind. 4 Some people feel he's nondescript but, watch him on tape, and he's better than you think. Good two-way player, will get you 5-6 sacks and play the run well."

He's gotten better each year and is just hitting his prime! These are the kind of value/bargain picks that I'd like to see TD go after! Guys who won't command what they're worth and ones who should only improve over the next years of their careers who've played well in one capacity or another. Not pickups like Teague, undersized Ts, who we then move to another OL spot b/c he sucked at his own spot and is getting $1M more than he should for the position.

If TD does that this year, then I'll say he's a great GM.

"WR Derrius Thompson Was. 4 Teams will have to determine if he is the guy who caught 52 passes in 2002 or the one who had a mere three catches in the three previous seasons."

Didn't get many chances in Washington over the past couple of years. Would be a great 3rd/4th pickup!

"DE Lance Johnstone Min. 7 Has never been an effective anchor versus the run, but he does one thing well: Rush the quarterback. Good for 6-8 sacks."

Not a good DE against the run, but assuming we get a DT, that wouldn't be as important in our scheme as having someone to disrupt the passer/offense. He's a real sleeper.

I'd be ecstatic with:

Peterson, Scioli, Thornton, and Johnstone. Thompson as our 4th WR would be gravy. Signing those 4 is highly possible if we ditch Price soon. They're all affordable, especially collectively.

A bargain DT if we really need one would be Darrell Russell.

The link:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1514735.html

justasportsfan
03-01-2003, 06:06 PM
link?

justasportsfan
03-01-2003, 06:06 PM
forget it. Thanks

Romes
03-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
These are the kind of value/bargain picks that I'd like to see TD go after! Guys who won't command what they're worth and ones who should only improve over the next years of their careers who've played well in one capacity or another.

Who is to say Posey isn't one of these players? I see him on the sleeper list too.

Posey didn't command a large salary. He played well last year, the first year he had a chance to start. Wys, this is the type of guy you like. You can compare him to a Travis Brown. Young, has the tools, but was stuck behind other starters, on other teams. Unlike Brown, he got a chance to start and had a pretty solid season.

ArcticWildMan
03-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Scioli is an older version of Schoebel. A solid blue collar DE that isn't a superstar, but gets better each year.

My only question is, is if we need another Schoebel type DE??

RedEyE
03-01-2003, 06:41 PM
I'd take a schobel on each side of the line. Instantly double the sack count. Scioli will probably come cheap too.

clumping platelets
03-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Darrell Russell???

No thanks :shakeno:

TigerJ
03-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Germane Crowell has both size and speed. I wonder if his knee is permanently damaged or he just hasn't been able to get untracked again. A third WR spot might be just what he needs. He wouldn't take a lot of pounding. I wonder what kind of salary he'd command.

RedEyE
03-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Germane Crowell has both size and speed. I wonder if his knee is permanently damaged or he just hasn't been able to get untracked again. A third WR spot might be just what he needs. He wouldn't take a lot of pounding. I wonder what kind of salary he'd command.

I was actually thinking about Bobby Engram as a 3rd WR. Great speed that could be used on punt returns. Regardless, dump Charles Johnson.

TigerJ
03-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Aaron Schobel is a quick, slightly undersized pass rusher. Isn't Scioli a bigger all around left defensive end? An upgrade over Ahanotu? If The Bills lose or decide not to keep Ahanotu, I could see them looking for a guy like Scioli to play on running downs, spelled by McKenzie on passing downs.

How about Russell Davis instead of Darryl Russell?

RedEyE
03-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Aaron Schobel is a quick, slightly undersized pass rusher. Isn't Scioli a bigger all around left defensive end? An upgrade over Ahanotu? If The Bills lose or decide not to keep Ahanotu, I could see them looking for a guy like Scioli to play on running downs, spelled by McKenzie on passing downs.

Exactly. :up: I think Scioli is a steal.

How about Russell Davis instead of Darryl Russell?

Russell Davis would more than suffice.

Michael82
03-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Darrell Russell? Are you nuts!?!?! Come on Wys...I thought you were smarter than that. :rolleyes:

colin
03-01-2003, 09:57 PM
will darrell russell really be a cheap sign?

Bert102176
03-02-2003, 01:09 AM
hey Martay Jenkins for the 3rd WR and he can be the KR as well. One body two positions.:chuk:

TypicalBill
03-02-2003, 04:16 AM
sign:
Shawn Barber (LB) Phily
John Thornton (DT) Tenn
Derrius Thompson (WR) Wash
resign Chidi
resign Hollis

Draft: (offcorse, Atlanta gave us the 23rd pick for PP)
1st round - Cory Redding (DE)
The Good: Athletic and explosive lineman that will be effective in a variety of defensive schemes at the next level. Plays low with leverage keeping his pads down, holds the point against blocks and redirects to the action nicely. Gets off blocks, stays in his pass rush angle and is fast off the edge moving up the field. Quick and fluid changing direction, makes plays laterally, displaying speed to the flanks in pursuit of the ball carrier. Effective dropping off the line in pass coverage and playing in space. Rarely off his feet.

The Bad: Lacks the great first step and explosion off the snap. Not big or powerful and may have a tough time adjusting to the bigger tackles at the next level.

The Skinny: Should be productive as a 4-3 defensive end or outside linebacker if stood up over tackle in a 3-4.
-Projected order in the draft: Late 1st round

2nd round - Kenny King
The Good: Athletic lineman with a large degree of upside potential at several positions. Quick, beating opponents with a terrific first step off the snap, gets a lot of push up the field and fights with his hands to stay off blocks. Breaks down well, plays with leverage for the most part and effective in a straight line or laterally. Smooth changing direction and displays the ability to pursue the action from behind. A disruptive force when he his pads are low to the ground and the intensity meter is on high. Has the athleticism and body type to be used as a two-gap 3-4 lineman or tackle in a 4-3.

The Bad: Gives half-hearted efforts at times, rather easily ridden out of his attack angles by lesser opponents or lazily lets blockers inside him. By no means overpowering. Must learn to work on the finer details of his game and improve his body strength.

The Skinny: A lot of physical skill that must be applied on a consistent basis if he's to be successful at the next level and meet his uppermost potential.
-Projected order in draft: Early 2nd round.

3rd Round LB

That way, our DT would be:
Pat Williams
John Thornton
Kenny King
Ron Edwards
Justin Bannan

Our DE:
Marcus Jones
Aaron Schobel
Cory Redding
Chidi Ahanatu
Ryan Denney
McKenzie

LB's
London Fletcher
Shawn Barber
Posey
3rd round LB
Brandon Spoon

Our WR
Eric Moulds
Josh Reed
Derrius Thomson
the rest of 'em

Judge
03-02-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Romes

Who is to say Posey isn't one of these players? I see him on the sleeper list too.

Posey didn't command a large salary. He played well last year, the first year he had a chance to start. Wys, this is the type of guy you like. You can compare him to a Travis Brown. Young, has the tools, but was stuck behind other starters, on other teams. Unlike Brown, he got a chance to start and had a pretty solid season.

Compare him to Travis Brown? I'm pretty confident he's SIGNIFICANTLY better than Travis Brown.

don137
03-02-2003, 12:36 PM
I also like Scioli. I just figured he was going to go back to Indy. I thought I read somewhere that Indy can not afford Petersen and sioli so they want to concentrate in signing Scioli and not Petersen.
If you don't resign Chidi and dump Robinson and throw in a few extra bucks I think he could be had for a 4 year 7-8 million. I would feel comfortable between Schoebel, Jones and Scioli.

Romes
03-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Judge

Compare him to Travis Brown? I'm pretty confident he's SIGNIFICANTLY better than Travis Brown.

You completley missed on what bases I was comparing them.