PDA

View Full Version : Clements, Simms among likely free agents

G. Host
11-25-2006, 08:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2674183

• CB Nate Clements (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5468) (Buffalo): Some critics feel the former Ohio State star and 2001 first-rounder has been saving himself for free agency -- and the big payday he figures to pull in -- for the last two seasons, when his play has tailed off. But he has prototype size, runs well, and everyone is always looking for quality corners. After snatching 18 interceptions his first four years, Clements has just three pickoffs the past 1½ seasons. Clements is playing in 2006 on the one-year franchise qualifying offer, and the Bills have an agreement they won't use the marker to retain him beyond this year.

RedEyE
11-25-2006, 09:59 AM
I read this yesterday and I'd like to see Buffalo use the 30+ million they will have next offseason and go after a few of these guys.

Primarily left OG Eric Steinbach (no matter what the cost) and Ravens RT Tony Pashos (again, at any cost). These guys will instantly improve the line which will immediatly increase our offense.

Other FAs that would greatly improve this team and shouldn't be all that expense to obtain:
TE Daniel Graham (We need a decent receiving TE. It's an absolute necessity in order for Losman to thrive)
FB Justin Griffith (Buh-bye Shelton!)
DT Robaire Smith (Has also rotated in at DE)

I'd also love top see Cato June help replace Spikes, but he will be priced pretty freaking high being that there are several defenses in the league playing the Tampa cover 2. Crowell has been superb at the Will linebacker position, but I think he would also better serve this D in the Sam position. With Cato, Fletcher and Crowell across the middle of the defense, we suddenly have the best LBs in the league. I love Spikes, but I have some serious doubts he is going to be around much longer.

With that being said, I'd also would like to see the Bills resign Fletcher.

Let Clements walk and address the corner position in the draft.

BILLSROCK1212
11-25-2006, 10:06 AM
I read this yesterday and I'd like to see Buffalo use the 30+ million they will have next offseason and go after a few of these guys.

Primarily left OG Eric Steinbach (no matter what the cost) and Ravens RT Tony Pashos (again, at any cost). These guys will instantly improve the line which will immediatly increase our offense.

Other FAs that would greatly improve this team and shouldn't be all that expense to obtain:
TE Daniel Graham (We need a decent receiving TE. It's an absolute necessity in order for Losman to thrive)
FB Justin Griffith (Buh-bye Shelton!)
DT Robaire Smith (Has also rotated in at DE)

I'd also love top see Cato June help replace Spikes, but he will be priced pretty freaking high being that there are several defenses in the league playing the Tampa cover 2. Crowell has been superb at the Will linebacker position, but I think he would also better serve this D in the Sam position. With Cato, Fletcher and Crowell across the middle of the defense, we suddenly have the best LBs in the league. I love Spikes, but I have some serious doubts he is going to be around much longer.

With that being said, I'd also would like to see the Bills resign Fletcher.

Let Clements walk and address the corner position in the draft.

Dont let Clements walk, did you happen to read the article bout the 'Skins? They let Fred Smoot walk and had to draft Carlos Rodgers instead of DeMarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman. We must do our best to resign Clements, we shouldn't waste a draft pick on a CB.

ShadowHawk7
11-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I would possibly take a look at Leonard Davis at RT (Classic unachiever, but new scene, scheme may do him wonders) Kris Dielman at RG, and possibly David Macklin at CB.

BILLSROCK1212
11-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I would possibly take a look at Leonard Davis at RT (Classic unachiever, but new scene, scheme may do him wonders) Kris Dielman at RG, and possibly David Macklin at CB.Vince Manuwai

RedEyE
11-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Dont let Clements walk, did you happen to read the article bout the 'Skins? They let Fred Smoot walk and had to draft Carlos Rodgers instead of DeMarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman. We must do our best to resign Clements, we shouldn't waste a draft pick on a CB.

Clements play has fallen drastically in the last two years. He's not worth the money that he will be asking and he will be highly sought after. Honestly, I don't think the Bills have chance to retain him even if they wanted to.

I did read the article and I really don't see the connection.

RedEyE
11-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I would possibly take a look at Leonard Davis at RT (Classic unachiever, but new scene, scheme may do him wonders) Kris Dielman at RG, and possibly David Macklin at CB.

I don't disagree with bringing Davis in for a look, but I'm not sold on his play. Besides, Peters has been doing just fine at LT and it's the RT postion that needs adjusting. Bring in a a LG like Steinbach and throw him next to Peters ~ voila. Gandy has been piss poor this season (moved to Guard). Sign a guy like Tony Pashos who is a natural at RT and the Bills are off and running.

Bling
11-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Serious question: When was the last time the Bills spent the big bucks? That year they brought in Adams and Spikes? It's long over due. You're not that far from the playoffs.

RedEyE
11-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Serious question: When was the last time the Bills spent the big bucks? That year they brought in Adams and Spikes? It's long over due. You're not that far from the playoffs.

Agreed. I think they are just a few key components away from making a stretch. Have to spend money on lineman this year. Have to!

Pinkerton Security
11-25-2006, 10:30 AM
I really dont think Clements should be allowed to just walk out the door. I was ready to dismiss him this preseason, simply because his performance was much lower than normal. However, I really think he is playing his tail off this year. Against the Colts, Harrison didn;t do much because either A) Clements helped lock him down and kept pushing him out of bounds, or B) We got lucky that Peyton didn;t think to throw to his favorite receiver. Also, I am not sure why Roy Williams was matched up against the smaller McGee, but I think Clements for the most part has been matched up against top notch receivers (albeit our zone scheme obviously doesnt allow for man-to-man assignments all the time), and he has made his share of pretty big plays.

Against the Texans, had he not swatted down the 3rd down pass, who knows if we would have won...probbaly not.

Thats what Im looking for...re-sign Clements, he is playing better than he has in a couple years.

RedEyE
11-25-2006, 10:44 AM
I really dont think Clements should be allowed to just walk out the door. I was ready to dismiss him this preseason, simply because his performance was much lower than normal. However, I really think he is playing his tail off this year. Against the Colts, Harrison didn;t do much because either A) Clements helped lock him down and kept pushing him out of bounds, or B) We got lucky that Peyton didn;t think to throw to his favorite receiver. Also, I am not sure why Roy Williams was matched up against the smaller McGee, but I think Clements for the most part has been matched up against top notch receivers (albeit our zone scheme obviously doesnt allow for man-to-man assignments all the time), and he has made his share of pretty big plays.

Against the Texans, had he not swatted down the 3rd down pass, who knows if we would have won...probbaly not.

Thats what Im looking for...re-sign Clements, he is playing better than he has in a couple years.

I can agree with that. I don't like the idea of just letting him go either. I guess I should have phrased that differently. The Bills will throw an offer his way, but I don't think there will be enough on the table for him to jump in feet first. Not renegotiating last year tells me that he will definitly entertain other teams offers.

So it all comes down to money and a Clements decision. Again, I don't see the Bills retaining him.

Night Train
11-25-2006, 01:33 PM
:lolpoint: Simms.

What a loser.

RockStar36
11-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Anyone notice that Clements doesn't have many picks because they don't throw at him often. Other teams have more fun picking on McGee.

Jeff1220
11-26-2006, 09:17 AM
The thing that scares me about NC is that, if he has been sandbagging it to avoid injury for his payday, how will he respond when the money is in hand? He has basically shut it down the past two seasons, but shown just enough to keep his name with the big FAs. When he gets paid, will he shut it all down again? Will he be motivated to play hard after he's already gotten paid?

SABURZFAN
11-26-2006, 10:27 AM

why waste over $7 million on one roster spot when you can address 2 or 3 other spots on the team?

X-Era
11-26-2006, 10:43 AM

Agreed. I remember too many years of Ken Irvins, Chris Watson, Thomas Smith, Marlon Kerner.

Its tough to get a shutdown corner and although Clements has struggled at times, he owned the leagues leading WR last week.

Lock him up and spend the draft pick on another position.

X-Era
11-26-2006, 10:46 AM
why waste over $7 million on one roster spot when you can address 2 or 3 other spots on the team?

I think the question is, why take a chance to downgrade a critical position when we should be trying to upgrade?

Thats moving in the wrong direction.

jamze132
11-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Well I was all for getting rid of Clements earlier but he has been pretty much lights out the last few weeks. if he continues to play at this level the rest of the season, I think we should try hard to resign him. Especially since a shutdown corner aren't a dime a dozen. He already knows the system, knows the guys, and is doing his job. No point in trying to replace him if we don't have to. We will have the money to lock him up as well as a couple of good O-lineman.

RedEyE
11-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Again, you guys are all assuming that Clements wants to remain in a Bills uniform.

1) He had an opportunity to sign another contract with the Bills on more than one occassion but chose not to take the Bills up on any of their offers.

2) The Bills threw a tag on him MAKING him stay through one last year. It cost the Bills over 5$ mill this season to do just that. Any player that wants to test Free Agency never enjoys being tagged.

3) He can walk this year without ever having to hear an offer the Bills might make him. After this season he's on his own to roam.

So, for those of you that are painfully stuck to his jock, you'd better hope that the Bills smoothed things over with Clements this season, and you'd better hope that Nate has gotten an eyeful of positive things in and around this team that would really make him want to stay in Buffalo. And you'd better hope that the Bills front office has seen enough out of Nate to offer him a HUGE chunk of change, because there are several teams out there that have the means to compensate and lure Clements from the Bills locker room. Teams that have a better outlook then our lowly inconsistant Bills.

In today's game you can't get attached to players and you have to keep your eye on the big picture. Address the areas of necessity first - luxury second.

shelby
11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
:lolpoint: Simms.

What a loser.
i respectfully disagree. His pre-injury play with the Bucs was shaky this season, but he has the potential to be a decent QB if he can come back from the spleenectomy.