PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft

Devin
11-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Just for fun, im curious how it will change over the next few months so I will update sporadically. It will always be based on realistic current projections and until a final position is picked, I will assume we select in the 10-16 range.

And for now until cuts/signings are made I am basing this on the CURRENT BILLS ROSTER. If you carry on about Nate leaving....etc you will be negged.

Round 1: Quentin Moses, DE Georgia
A compliment to Schobel on the left side, Moses instantly upgrades the DL and gives the Bills 2 legitimate starting pass rushing threats.
Alternatives: Alan Branch DT, Levi Brown OT, Leon Hall CB

Round 2: Doug Free, OT Northern Illinois
Fast. Very Fast. Comparable to Ryan Diem the current starting OT for the Colts (in part because they are from the same program), Free is more athletic and is an exceptional downfield run blocker, has almost no problem getting to the second level.
Alternatives: Steve Smith WR, Josh Beekman OG, Dan Connor LB

Round 3: Jason Hill, WR Washington
6'1, 210 a great #2 compliment to Evans. Hes not a big speed guy but he, Evans and Parrish could turn into an elite WR corps. An exceptional route runner with great hands, Hill could develop into a solid threat opposite Evans.
Alternatives: DAndre Jackson CB, Manuel Ramirez OG, Kelvin Smith LB

metafour
11-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Not a huge fan of Quentin Moses, he is basically a pure speed rusher who is undersized...not exactly what we need considering that we havn't been able to stop ANYONE from running the ball on us. Do we really need two Aaron Shoebel's? Nothing against Shoebel, but he is utterly useless in running situations because he eithers runs himself out of the play or gets flat out blown off the line. I also believe that Moses is a bit overrated, he's had a very unproductive year for Georgia (just 3.5 sacks in 12 games this year, and three of those came against Western Kentucky and Mississippi State).

Doug Free has a lot of potential, but from what I've heard, he hasn't had a very great year. He's always been a super raw guy who could move, but I'd be more inclined to select a stud OG like Ben Grubbs who can come in and provide immediate help on the interior.

ShadowHawk7
11-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I believe that Kelsay/Denney is enough of a force opposite Schobel not to warrant using a 1st round pick there. Instead, I would go DT, anywhere on the line, WR, or maybe even QB before DE.

BILLSROCK1212
11-26-2006, 05:06 PM
id much prefer Gaines Adams

Devin
11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Not a huge fan of Quentin Moses, he is basically a pure speed rusher who is undersized...not exactly what we need considering that we havn't been able to stop ANYONE from running the ball on us. Do we really need two Aaron Shoebel's? Nothing against Shoebel, but he is utterly useless in running situations because he eithers runs himself out of the play or gets flat out blown off the line. I also believe that Moses is a bit overrated, he's had a very unproductive year for Georgia (just 3.5 sacks in 12 games this year, and three of those came against Western Kentucky and Mississippi State).

Doug Free has a lot of potential, but from what I've heard, he hasn't had a very great year. He's always been a super raw guy who could move, but I'd be more inclined to select a stud OG like Ben Grubbs who can come in and provide immediate help on the interior.

Free is a lot like Peters, was a TE and is very athletic. Peters was pretty raw to considering hed never played OT.

I understand/somewhat agree about Moses but given the nature of our D......I dont know the rotational DE stuff has never impressed me. I dont believe we will be in a position to draft a guy like Branch unless we trade up and after him there is a relativley steep dropoff for DT's.

id much prefer Gaines Adams

He will probably be long gone by our pick.

R. Rich
11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
He will probably be long gone by our pick.

More than likely, so will one of your alternates, Leon Hall. He may go around 6-10 in the first. Brown should be there from 10-16, and maybe Branch too, though I could see him going in that 6-10 range too, as DT is a hot commodity on draft day.

Night Train
11-29-2006, 04:54 AM
Why are their no Guards in Rounds 2 and 3 ?

A crying need for this team.

SABURZFAN
11-29-2006, 08:55 PM

there are.sshhhhhhh....we don't want the other teams to know.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2006, 10:50 PM

Way to bash me in my thread about Youboty after I said the same exact thing.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Just for fun, im curious how it will change over the next few months so I will update sporadically. It will always be based on realistic current projections and until a final position is picked, I will assume we select in the 10-16 range.

And for now until cuts/signings are made I am basing this on the CURRENT BILLS ROSTER. If you carry on about Nate leaving....etc you will be negged.

Round 1: Quentin Moses, DE Georgia
A compliment to Schobel on the left side, Moses instantly upgrades the DL and gives the Bills 2 legitimate starting pass rushing threats.

Round 2: Doug Free, OT Northern Illinois
Fast. Very Fast. Comparable to Ryan Diem the current starting OT for the Colts (in part because they are from the same program), Free is more athletic and is an exceptional downfield run blocker, has almost no problem getting to the second level.

6'1, 210 a great #2 compliment to Evans. Hes not a big speed guy but he, Evans and Parrish could turn into an elite WR corps. An exceptional route runner with great hands, Hill could develop into a solid threat opposite Evans.

To be frank, I don't like it. DE isn't the biggest need on this team, especially after trading a 5th rounder for Hargrove. Your alternative picks are MUUUUCH better. I really like Alan Branch. A stud OT/OG, WR, LB or CB would be much better, imo. I would like to see Mike Jones, OG Iowa in the 3rd round. Who? MIKE JONES. Who? MIKE JONES!! Oh yeah, maybe Sidney Rice, Jeff Samardzija or Zach Miller could drop to the 2nd round.

Devin
12-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Well Part of my reasoning is if Pennington is steady (NOT great, just steady) his first year I dont think we are gonna draft a OT. Branch will be long gone before our pick and I quite simply valued DE over CB. That being said I wouldnt mind a CB if Nate leaves. WR is certainly a possibility.

PECKERWOOD
12-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Well Part of my reasoning is if Pennington is steady (NOT great, just steady) his first year I dont think we are gonna draft a OT. Branch will be long gone before our pick and I quite simply valued DE over CB. That being said I wouldnt mind a CB if Nate leaves. WR is certainly a possibility.

Good points.. I wouldn't be totally against taking a DE, but he would have to be reallly good and freakish.. Your probably right about Branch, I can see him going in the top 10 same goes for Leon Hall though too. I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Gin Jr. in a Bills uni.

Devin
12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Will be updating about every week.

Round 1: Quinn Pitcock, DT Ohio State
Single largest strength is against the run, can get penetration relativley easy and has a very wide frame. Has lapses in concentration but with maturity could become a solid run stuffing DT.
Alternatives: DeWayne Jarrett WR, Quentin Moses DE, Leon Hall CB

Round 2: Ben Grubbs, OG Auburn
While I believe the Bills OL is playing better, this devastating run blocker might be too good to pass on in the 2nd.
Alternatives: Steve Smith WR, Josh Beekman OG, Doug Free OT

PECKERWOOD
12-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Pitcock in the first is highly unlikely. Unless we plan on taking a DT in the 1st round 2 years in a row. I could see McCargo having an impact next season, imo.

Devin
12-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Pitcock in the first is highly unlikely. Unless we plan on taking a DT in the 1st round 2 years in a row. I could see McCargo having an impact next season, imo.

Likely so, however its a glaring need. Its probable that we will take neither a DL or OLman in the first round.

kernowboy
12-04-2006, 02:05 PM
I think or more accurately hope we do the following

R1 Trade down and pick up: Paul Posluzny or Patrick Willis
I don't think Fletcher will stay. The Devil will ask too much. We need to spend the money on Clements. All the LBs seem to be sliding a little. Lets grab one. Becomes even more urgent if TKO continues to be a mixed bag.
R2 Greg Olsen, TE
We've not had a decent TE since Metzelaars. This guy is the real deal and a need
R3a Justin Harrell, DT (our pick)
Been injured with a biceps injury but plays hurt. Reputation as a run stuffer something we seem unable to do at present
R3b Doug Free, LT (extra pick from trade down)
Has been falling in the mocks. Not had a great season. Potential technique issues but great upside. In such a big year for quality OTs we will get one this low.

Day2

R4 Eric Weddle, DB
I hope he is here as he can play all 4 spots and as a CB was good enough to shut down Calvin Johnson ... nuff said
R6 Clifton Dawson RB
Marv goes back to his old school. Dawson has set just about every record he can. Maybe too small to carry a heavy load but a good 3rd down back
R7 Damion DeRosia DT
Maybe the best small school DT. Huge run stuffing NT currently playing in the 3-4. Would have been scouted when we signed DiGiorgio. Hope we haven't forgotten him

and to round it all off, trade Willis McGahee to the Jaguars for a R2 in 2008 plus Ernest Wilford who can fulfil the big No2 WR role. The extra R2 next year will allow the drafting of the RB of the future in a much deeper RB class ... I think A Train can carry the load in 2007

casdhf
12-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Why would the Jags want McGahee? Taylor and Drew-Jones have been running like crazy ... plus they'll have Greg Jones back next year

kernowboy
12-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Taylor is on the verge of retiring, but I agree. However we should get a r2 for Willis

Night Train
12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Round 1 - DT - Either Alan Branch ( 6-6 321 ) of Michigan or Amobi Okoye ( 6-1 318 ) of Louisville. Uber strong DT's who can clog the middle and shut down the running lanes. Tripplett and McCargo would rotate well next to either one.

Round 2 - OG - Aaron Sears - Tennessee ( 6-4 320 ) Powerful run blocker to replace the departing Gandy and Reyes. Great athlete. Instant starter.

Round 3 - OG - Maunuel Ramirez - Texas Tech - ( 6-4 335 ) - Massive road grader who dominates at the point of attack. Puts Preston back on the bench as the versitle backup at C-G. Starts immediately with his size.

Round 4 - Jason Hill - WR - Washington St. - ( 6-1 210 ) - Not a burner but the fluid pattern runner with great hands who always finds the open area. Good jumping ability. Great production and hard to ignore. A solid #2 WR candidate.

We gave up a #5 for DE Hargrove and I'm fine with that. He's well worth it.

DraftBoy
12-07-2006, 07:31 PM
1. WR Dwayne Jarrett-True #2 WR, no gimmicks here like you see with Ginn
2. TE Greg Olsen-Legit Pass catching threat that can stretch the field with his athleticism
3. OT Doug Free-1st round talent, who is falling due to N. Illinois strugling
4. CB CJ Wilson-Big frame, good speed, could be a physical corner
5. DT Marcus Thomas-Personal problems with drugs, and other stuff, but a real talent none the less, can he get his act together?
6. LB Oscar Lua-Playmaker in the middle, can shed blocks, speed is an area of concern
7. QB Chris Leak-Backup in a years time, could be a steal this late. This kid gets football, plain and simple. Needs a coach who believes in.

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 01:59 AM
2. TE Greg Olsen-Legit Pass catching threat that can stretch the field with his athleticism
5. DT Marcus Thomas-Personal problems with drugs, and other stuff, but a real talent none the less, can he get his act together?
6. LB Oscar Lua-Playmaker in the middle, can shed blocks, speed is an area of concern
7. QB Chris Leak-Backup in a years time, could be a steal this late. This kid gets football, plain and simple. Needs a coach who believes in.

That is a fantasy draft all the way! We would be very fortunate if we got all of those players.. Thomas falling to the 5th round is a complete steal, along with Leak in the 7th. This draft seems to be weak at QB, I see Leak as a 2nd-3rd round talent.

kernowboy
12-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Round 1 - DT - Either Alan Branch ( 6-6 321 ) of Michigan or Amobi Okoye ( 6-1 318 ) of Louisville. Uber strong DT's who can clog the middle and shut down the running lanes. Tripplett and McCargo would rotate well next to either one.

Round 2 - OG - Aaron Sears - Tennessee ( 6-4 320 ) Powerful run blocker to replace the departing Gandy and Reyes. Great athlete. Instant starter.

Round 3 - OG - Maunuel Ramirez - Texas Tech - ( 6-4 335 ) - Massive road grader who dominates at the point of attack. Puts Preston back on the bench as the versitle backup at C-G. Starts immediately with his size.

Round 4 - Jason Hill - WR - Washington St. - ( 6-1 210 ) - Not a burner but the fluid pattern runner with great hands who always finds the open area. Good jumping ability. Great production and hard to ignore. A solid #2 WR candidate.

We gave up a #5 for DE Hargrove and I'm fine with that. He's well worth it.

I like this, a lot but I think there will be some problems ....

1) I think we'd have to move up for Branch and Okoye is a huge reach if we stand pat. I can see someone like Justin Harrell, but he could quite possibly be a round at the bottom of the 2nd or top of the 3rd - character guy, plays hurt, good against the run
2) Will we want to start two rookie guards and have the problems Green Bay have had. I see one of the guard positions going to Manuwai or Diehl if we can sign either. I think an effort will be made to get Gandy re signed or Reyes fit and I think they'll want to look at Merz a little more. He could become our Adam Timmerman
3) No LB with Fletcher-Baker and TKO maybe not the future? I think we go 1st round here
4) I think we will get some OL help on Day1 but I think we'll look to someone who can also play LT and who we can slowly introduce to the team like Doug Free, Joe Staley, Mike Otto etc. If Sears slips I would consider him or Mike Jones from Iowa

kernowboy
12-09-2006, 05:00 AM

Love the 2nd and 3rd round picks ...

in the 1st I still think LB is the priority now as our lack of depth has been clearly shown up and we may lose both Fletcher and move TKO. Even if we sign in FA, Marv likes his LBs and will see the chance to trade down, grab a top one and still have an extra day pick

I think that extra day1 pick will be spent on a DT. We don't have a 5th rounder but Thomas fails the character test

I'm not familiar with Wilson. I have read about Eric Weddle of Utah who at 6ft, 200lbs and 4.45, has shut down Calvin Johnson and played RCB, LCB, and SS. Provides versatility and depth.

If we look to trade McGahee, a RB will be picked on Day2 as a minimum.

Jarrett is a great player but other needs will be filled first especially considering the financial commitment to Reed and Price.

DraftBoy
12-09-2006, 12:35 PM
That is a fantasy draft all the way! We would be very fortunate if we got all of those players.. Thomas falling to the 5th round is a complete steal, along with Leak in the 7th. This draft seems to be weak at QB, I see Leak as a 2nd-3rd round talent.

Your way off, while I agree Chris Leak is a 2nd-3rd round talent, he will not be taken till late Day 2, unless he takes a Tavares Jackson type of jump in the next few months. Right now he's a consistent 5-7th round pick in all the mocks both site wise and fan wise. Thomas has big problems with drugs and like a draftee from last year Claude Wrotten I expect him to drop to middle of Day 2. In no way is that a fantasy draft.

DraftBoy
12-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Love the 2nd and 3rd round picks ...

in the 1st I still think LB is the priority now as our lack of depth has been clearly shown up and we may lose both Fletcher and move TKO. Even if we sign in FA, Marv likes his LBs and will see the chance to trade down, grab a top one and still have an extra day pick

I think that extra day1 pick will be spent on a DT. We don't have a 5th rounder but Thomas fails the character test

I'm not familiar with Wilson. I have read about Eric Weddle of Utah who at 6ft, 200lbs and 4.45, has shut down Calvin Johnson and played RCB, LCB, and SS. Provides versatility and depth.

If we look to trade McGahee, a RB will be picked on Day2 as a minimum.

Jarrett is a great player but other needs will be filled first especially considering the financial commitment to Reed and Price.

I know your all about Polslunzky or Willis in round 1, and I think they are bad picks. While Willis is climbing the draft charts, Pols is falling to the point that he may be avail early 2nd round. He becoming Chad Greenway. Marcus Thomas is a talent that if available that late in the draft becomes important, if he can show Marv and company that he is off the drugs and committed to football, I dont see why we cant give him a second shot. Im tired of Bills fans acting high and mighty like we dont do anything wrong. The kid is still a kid and he made a mistake, raise your hand if you never have done that before. Ill wait to see the results. CJ Wilson is a big guy a 6'1 and he's shut down the Big 12 receivers pretty well. He's not got blazing speed but he's a physical player. I see Weddle going before the 4th round, but if he's there he's a steal. I went back in forth on my 6th round pick, trying to decide whether to go RB (Booker or Wolfe) or LB with Lua. In the end I choose Lua, though I think Id prefer Booker. I think Lorenzo Booker could be a dynamite back in the right system. Thats my thoughts.

kernowboy
12-09-2006, 02:04 PM
I think if we trade down for Pos we can get an extra day pick which could be either Justin Harrell DT or Doug Free LT, which then makes the use of our Round 1 a superb selection .... I do think we should go for a RB in the 6th so Booker, Wolfe or Dawson will make complete sense as we can use him as a 3rd down back with A-Train (and the FA signing TJ Duckett?) moving the chains - I also think we should spend the 7th on some muscle on one line or other.

Regarding Marcus Thomas, irrespective of his behaviour, he is another DT who is light - is he as good against the run as Harrell ....?

DraftBoy
12-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I think if we trade down for Pos we can get an extra day pick which could be either Justin Harrell DT or Doug Free LT, which then makes the use of our Round 1 a superb selection .... I do think we should go for a RB in the 6th so Booker, Wolfe or Dawson will make complete sense as we can use him as a 3rd down back with A-Train (and the FA signing TJ Duckett?) moving the chains - I also think we should spend the 7th on some muscle on one line or other.

Regarding Marcus Thomas, irrespective of his behaviour, he is another DT who is light - is he as good against the run as Harrell ....?

2006-
Thomas-6 games played, 15 tackles, 3 for loss, 3 sacks
Harrell-4 games played, 3 tackles, 1 for loss, 0 sacks

2005-
Thomas-12 games played, 22 tackles, 9 for loss, 4 sacks
Harrell-11 games played, 21 tackles, 7 for loss, 2 sacks

Id say all in all he's better v. the Run, and v. the Pass...

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Your way off, while I agree Chris Leak is a 2nd-3rd round talent, he will not be taken till late Day 2, unless he takes a Tavares Jackson type of jump in the next few months. Right now he's a consistent 5-7th round pick in all the mocks both site wise and fan wise. Thomas has big problems with drugs and like a draftee from last year Claude Wrotten I expect him to drop to middle of Day 2. In no way is that a fantasy draft.

Chris Leak will NOT last till the 2nd day, there is no way that is going to happen. His value is going to sky rocket before the draft. He is going to be playing in the title game versus OSU, you can't tell me this guy is not going on the first day, especially if he has a good game. Brian Brohm deciding to stay in college for another year is also another potential stock booster for Leak.

Marcus Thomas could last till the second day I guess, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if teams are contemplating taking a risk on him. I would be very pleased if we got him in the 5th, if we took him even in the 4th round it would most likely be a steal..

DraftBoy
12-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Chris Leak will NOT last till the 2nd day, there is no way that is going to happen. His value is going to sky rocket before the draft. He is going to be playing in the title game versus OSU, you can't tell me this guy is not going on the first day, especially if he has a good game. Brian Brohm deciding to stay in college for another year is also another potential stock booster for Leak.

Marcus Thomas could last till the second day I guess, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if teams are contemplating taking a risk on him. I would be very pleased if we got him in the 5th, if we took him even in the 4th round it would most likely be a steal..

Take a bet on the Leak round??

SABURZFAN
12-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Chris Leak will NOT last till the 2nd day, there is no way that is going to happen.

:yawn:

if you say so,Mr.Know-It-All.

:z:

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Take a bet on the Leak round??

Alright.. I guarantee he won't last past the 3rd. What is your bet?

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 08:17 PM
:yawn:

if you say so,Mr.Know-It-All.

:z:

No reason for us to destroy every thread Sabz. If you wanna talk smack with me, let's do it in the Smack Zone.

DraftBoy
12-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Alright.. I guarantee he won't last past the 3rd. What is your bet?

3000 ZBs?

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 09:14 PM
3000 ZBs?

Wait a sec, 3,000 ZBs he goes where? I'm saying he won't drop past the 3rd round, which round are you saying he will drop to or wont drop to? Your bet is that he will last to atleast the 6th round correct?

DraftBoy
12-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Wait a sec, 3,000 ZBs he goes where? I'm saying he won't drop past the 3rd round, which round are you saying he will drop to or wont drop to? Your bet is that he will last to atleast the 6th round correct?

Your saying Day 1, I say Day 2

PECKERWOOD
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Your saying Day 1, I say Day 2

Okay, deal. :D

BILLSROCK1212
12-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Okay, deal. :Dmy money is on draftboy...all of my money....Leak is overrated and is pretty inconsistent....this year he had INTs in all games except for FSU, Alabama, and West Carolina....if he had more years like his sophmore year id agree with Buffalo Fever....he has to have a huge title game and Senior Bowl if he plays in it or any all-star game and then maybe he goes to the third round but i stress MAYBE....he just is not NFL talent

the following are all better than him in my opinion

brady quinn
troy smith
jamarcus russell
drew stanton
trent edwards
kevin kolb
jordan palmer
john beck
and my sleep pick Matt Gutierrez the former Wolverine who is now at Idaho state

kernowboy
12-16-2006, 04:35 AM
I think if we did add a QB in this draft they'd come along on Day2 and would have a big arm.

I think it more likely the status quo will be maintained unless we swap someone in like Pat Ramsay for Kelly Holcomb and we might pick up a QB in 2008 when our 3rd stringer Nall only has a year remaining

Devin
12-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Gah my thread was hijacked.

Devin
12-16-2006, 12:45 PM

Round 1: Zach Miller, TE ASU

Zach has great hands and runs very good routes. He is also a terrorizing blocker. Miller has great mental and physical toughness. "The Truth" as he is known by his teammates rarely ever drops a ball and is a reliable and very large target.

Round 2: Dwayne Bowe, WR LSU
Big physical WR with great hands, Bowe was Russell's favorite target at LSU. Would provide a strong physical presence opposite Evans and give Losman a reliable 2nd option.

Round 3: Stephen Nicholas, LB South Florida

Extremely fast, smooth and productive. Plays smart. Takes great angles. Fights to get to the ball. Pursues very well. Leadership. Makes sacrifices to get better and make plays. Very athletic. Hard worker and team player.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

DraftBoy
12-16-2006, 02:45 PM

Zach has great hands and runs very good routes. He is also a terrorizing blocker. Miller has great mental and physical toughness. "The Truth" as he is known by his teammates rarely ever drops a ball and is a reliable and very large target.

Big physical WR with great hands, Bowe was Russell's favorite target at LSU. Would provide a strong physical presence opposite Evans and give Losman a reliable 2nd option.

Extremely fast, smooth and productive. Plays smart. Takes great angles. Fights to get to the ball. Pursues very well. Leadership. Makes sacrifices to get better and make plays. Very athletic. Hard worker and team player.

Round 1: DT Alan Branch
Round 2: TE Greg Olsen
Round 3: OT Doug Free

No OL or DL on the 1st Day Devin??

Devin
12-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Well this has changed almost everytime I watch a game, but id prefer we go after current NFL players for both.

Our DT rotation is currently Triplett/McCargo/Williams and Hargrove at the moment. Our DE's are also pretty productive.

While we certainly could use upgrades I dont believe the draft is the way to go there. I almost went with Beekman at OG in the 2nd round however.

BILLSROCK1212
12-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Round 1: DT Alan Branch
Round 2: TE Greg Olsen
Round 3: OT Doug Free

No OL or DL on the 1st Day Devin??incase u all dont know Jake Long is returning to school

DraftBoy
12-16-2006, 09:18 PM
incase u all dont know Jake Long is returning to school

I had heard that buit thanks for the update! :up:

kernowboy
12-17-2006, 07:24 AM
A ha

R1. Paul Posluzny or Patrick Willis (a trade down in either case)
R2. Greg Olsen
R3. Justin Harrell or Amobi Okoye
R3. xtra pick - Doug Free (fingers crossed)

Sportsuser101
12-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I love Leon Hall from Michigan. If he is somehow there I don't think there is any question we should take him.

DraftBoy
12-18-2006, 02:29 AM
I love Leon Hall from Michigan. If he is somehow there I don't think there is any question we should take him.

I disagree it depends grealty on the Clements situation, unless your referring to replacing McGee with Hall, in which case I wouldnt mind that at all.

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 06:55 AM
I've revised a little.

I think if Nate goes then Ashton Youboty will be given a shot. We may bring in a medium ranked FA who might still have upside and who can be coached especially as Dick is a former DB and Perry is a former DB coach. I was thinking Mike Rumph who is still on 27 and has the physical tools. I also think we will draft and sign elsewhere on the defence to make it more 'challenging' for a QB to pick on the secondary. As Kelsay is in the final year of his contract, big money might be spent on someone like Patrick Kerney.

In the draft I still go with

R1. Posluzny or Willis (possibly a trade down to get them)
R2. Okoye or Harrell
(Royal's improved TE play means a TE selection is surplus)
R3. Free, Sears, Staley or Otto - ideally an LT who could play G but most essentially a guy who can play LT. If Peters goes down we need someone who can step in. I see FA as an area where the RG position will be resolved.

DraftBoy
12-19-2006, 11:43 AM
I too have switched mine up a little bit;

1. Quentin Moses-Trade Down for him...he is good both v. the run and the pass. Kelsay and Denney are better strict pass rushers, as they tend to get run all over (see my post in the gameday thread to prove this).

2. Justin Blalock-Plays both OG and OT, and allows us to see if Pennington will continue his development next season and if he does then we can eliminate that waste of money Villari.

3. Steve Smith-A true possession WR who has the ability to go over the middle and make the tough catch. We have deep threats (Evans, Price, Parrish) we have an emerging TE (Royal) now we need a slot possession receiver and Smith would be absolutely ideal in that regard.

4a. Mike Otto-The fastest OT in the Draft this year is 6'5, 304. He is an absolute beast out there but needs some technique work. Could be a steal this late.

4b. Eric Weddle-He'll need to fall some to be available here. Weddle has great size and can play both S and CB. We have another player like this in Whitner, and if need be, I would not hesitate to move him if Weddle can take over. He also knows how to bring the noise.

6. Lorenzo Booker-Just an absolute beast when he gets going. He's a downhill runner with speed. He was the top recruit in the nation coming out of HS and he's been the lone bright spot in a sputtering FSU offense the past two years. Could be one of the best backs in the country.

7a. Ali Highsmith-Can you say fast? This guy has speed at LB that you would not believe. He is quick to the ball but he is undersized. He needs to put on about 25-30 more pounds and with his speed he could be a great LB in our Cover 2.

7b. Damion DeRosia-An absolute massive DT who could be a big plugger in the middle. Was brought to my attention by Kernowboy, but he looks like the real deal small school prospect.

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I too have switched mine up a little bit;

1. Quentin Moses-Trade Down for him...he is good both v. the run and the pass. Kelsay and Denney are better strict pass rushers, as they tend to get run all over (see my post in the gameday thread to prove this).

2. Justin Blalock-Plays both OG and OT, and allows us to see if Pennington will continue his development next season and if he does then we can eliminate that waste of money Villari.

3. Steve Smith-A true possession WR who has the ability to go over the middle and make the tough catch. We have deep threats (Evans, Price, Parrish) we have an emerging TE (Royal) now we need a slot possession receiver and Smith would be absolutely ideal in that regard.

4a. Mike Otto-The fastest OT in the Draft this year is 6'5, 304. He is an absolute beast out there but needs some technique work. Could be a steal this late.

4b. Eric Weddle-He'll need to fall some to be available here. Weddle has great size and can play both S and CB. We have another player like this in Whitner, and if need be, I would not hesitate to move him if Weddle can take over. He also knows how to bring the noise.

6. Lorenzo Booker-Just an absolute beast when he gets going. He's a downhill runner with speed. He was the top recruit in the nation coming out of HS and he's been the lone bright spot in a sputtering FSU offense the past two years. Could be one of the best backs in the country.

7a. Ali Highsmith-Can you say fast? This guy has speed at LB that you would not believe. He is quick to the ball but he is undersized. He needs to put on about 25-30 more pounds and with his speed he could be a great LB in our Cover 2.

7b. Damion DeRosia-An absolute massive DT who could be a big plugger in the middle. Was brought to my attention by Kernowboy, but he looks like the real deal small school prospect.

I do like but my concerns are

1) DE can be handled in FA with Pat Kerney, Charles Grant, Justin Smith. LB in FA is much poorer which is why I suspect LB might be the R1 choice
2) I wouldn't rule out Butler yet. With the possibility of signing either Diehl or Manuwai, or Merz stepping up and with concerns at DT, I reckon well go NT here if Okoye or Harrell are available
3) I am not familiar with Steve Smith. My concern is he is slightly on the light side. I could see a slightly bigger guy in Jason Hill or maybe go for the OL in Doug Free
4a) I like this pick though I though Joe Staley was the fastest? I would also not be shocked to see Doug Free here such has been his season. Either way a OT with the feet to play the left is a must as security cover. However if we have taken an OT in the 3rd, Matt Herian to replace kevin Everett would be a good selection.
4b) Great pick
6) My concern with Booker is he has under achieved. But a necessary pick. I could also see either Clifton Dawson (Harvard) or Garrett Wolfe here
7a) Quincy Black LB of New Mexico may well have been noticed when we scouted Pennington
7b) How could I disagree? :)

DraftBoy
12-19-2006, 01:53 PM
I do like but my concerns are

1) DE can be handled in FA with Pat Kerney, Charles Grant, Justin Smith. LB in FA is much poorer which is why I suspect LB might be the R1 choice
2) I wouldn't rule out Butler yet. With the possibility of signing either Diehl or Manuwai, or Merz stepping up and with concerns at DT, I reckon well go NT here if Okoye or Harrell are available
3) I am not familiar with Steve Smith. My concern is he is slightly on the light side. I could see a slightly bigger guy in Jason Hill or maybe go for the OL in Doug Free
4a) I like this pick though I though Joe Staley was the fastest? I would also not be shocked to see Doug Free here such has been his season. Either way a OT with the feet to play the left is a must as security cover. However if we have taken an OT in the 3rd, Matt Herian to replace kevin Everett would be a good selection.
4b) Great pick
6) My concern with Booker is he has under achieved. But a necessary pick. I could also see either Clifton Dawson (Harvard) or Garrett Wolfe here
7a) Quincy Black LB of New Mexico may well have been noticed when we scouted Pennington
7b) How could I disagree? :)

1. Falcons are expected to resign Kerney, and he loves it in Atlanta. Id be shocked to see Grant or Smith hit the market and Id love to see up pick them up, but Im not seeing any big FA signings in the future. Id love to be pleasantly suprised.

I am not concerned about our LB's as you may be. I think they can be found later in the draft with much success, Ill use the Falcons as my example with Jordan Beck, Demorrio Williams, and Michael Boley. All were drafted I believe in the 4th round or later. All are playmakers for them. I dont like Pols, we've discussed this, for two reasons; A) He's not fast enough B) He doesnt shed blockers well. Willis I havent really seen, but Im just not a big fan of spending early picks on LB's.

2. Im not ruling out Butler, Blalock is a OG first, and OT second. I think Chris Villari is done here and Im not gonna shed a tear. Blalock is also a good pulling guard.

3. He may be light but he can catch and thats all I care about. He takes a beating at USC and just catches the ball. Thats what I want to see out of my possession guy.

4. I think your right about Staley, I dont know what I was thinking. The guy is still pretty athletic and a beast at OT. We agree on Weddle.

6. Booker is an underacheiver but he split carries with Washington for two years and has crap for a QB or passing the game the other two. Its tough to run in the ACC to start, but when teams load the box its even tougher. One thing I like about him, is he plays through injuries. He had a high ankle sprain part of one year and never missed a game.

7a. Highsmith is one of the best sleeper LB out there. Watch the Sugar Bowl and they'll say his name 15-20 times and he'll be all over the field.

7b. I thought youd like that

alohabillsfan
12-27-2006, 11:49 AM
RD1 Marshawn Lynch RB Cal PLAYMAKER
RD2 Brandon Siler ILB Fla Fletchers replacement!
RD3 DT Marcus Thomas Fla Perfect for Tampa 2 Great against run and pass (off field issues)
RD4 OG SAMSON SATELE Hawaii The right guard we need
RD6 FB BRANDON HANCOCK USC Shelton replacement
RD7 QB Colt Brennan Hawaii Holcomb replacement

IF Marshwan is not avail when we pick then...

Trade down if possible

RD1 WR ROBERT MEACHEM Tenn Big #2 Productive wideout
RD2 Brandon Siler ILB Fla
RD3 DT Marcus Thomas Fla
RD4a OG SAMSON SATELE Hawaii
RD4b TE FRED DAVIS USC
RD6 RB Lorenzo Booker FSU Change of pace RB
RD7 QB Colt Brennan Hawaii

BILLSROCK1212
12-27-2006, 12:20 PM
RD3 DT Marcus Thomas Fla Perfect for Tampa 2 Great against run and pass (off field issues)

Trade down if possible

RD3 DT Marcus Thomas Fla
RD4b TE FRED DAVIS USC
Meachem is a junior....Marcus Thomas is not a Marv guy and would be better off on the Bengals....Colt Brennan wont enter the draft unless he is a first rounder...i am pretty sure Fred Davis is a junior....i also think Brandon Silerar.... we could still do better than him ....Samson Satele is definetly not the best we could do and i am not sure that he is a senior either...Brandon Hancock is also not the best we could do to get a FB

DraftBoy
12-27-2006, 03:22 PM

Trade down if possible

RD3 DT Marcus Thomas Fla
RD4b TE FRED DAVIS USC

The second Mock would be ideal to me, though Brennan will not be a late round pick. You could maybe sub in somebody like Chris Leak there. Siler will need to fall some to be there in round 2 and Thomas isnt an ideal character guy, but it would be an awesome draft imo.

alohabillsfan
12-27-2006, 06:09 PM
The second Mock would be ideal to me, though Brennan will not be a late round pick. You could maybe sub in somebody like Chris Leak there. Siler will need to fall some to be there in round 2 and Thomas isnt an ideal character guy, but it would be an awesome draft imo.

I agree with Thomas, I live in Jacksonville and I follow the Gators weekly, Yes he made a mistake but who hasn't. If he is available in the 3rd round grab him! He is a moster against the run and pass.

DraftBoy
01-13-2007, 07:11 PM
1. Dwayne Jarrett
2. Aaron Ross
3. Marcus Thomas
4. Lorenzo Booker
6. Chris Leak
7. Matt Trannon

Just trying to keep this thread going...

kernowboy
01-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Okay

R1 ... Trade down and get Amobi Okoye NT .. +extra Day1 pick
R1/2 .. Trade up and get Paul Posluzny LB using R2+R3
R3 ......With xtra pick from Okoye trade, hope to benefit from Doug Free's LT poor senior season - he's been injured but is still a great prospect
R4 ...... Travarous Bain or Jonathan Wade CB
R5 ......
R6 ...... Zak DeOssie MLB
R7 ...... Mark Trannon WR - our Marques Colston?

and with the OFA grab Jesse Allen FB, Virginia Tech

DraftBoy
01-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Okay

R1 ... Trade down and get Amobi Okoye NT .. +extra Day1 pick
R1/2 .. Trade up and get Paul Posluzny LB using R2+R3
R3 ......With xtra pick from Okoye trade, hope to benefit from Doug Free's LT poor senior season - he's been injured but is still a great prospect
R4 ...... Travarous Bain or Jonathan Wade CB
R5 ......
R6 ...... Zak DeOssie MLB
R7 ...... Mark Trannon WR - our Marques Colston?

and with the OFA grab Jesse Allen FB, Virginia Tech

There is way too much speculation of trading in your mocks. It makes it harder to see actually happening. You want to trade down and then trade back up? I just dont see it happening, plus your asking for us to spend two straight 1st round picks on a DT. I think round 1 needs to be WR, RB, DE, or CB.

kernowboy
01-15-2007, 07:03 AM
There is way too much speculation of trading in your mocks. It makes it harder to see actually happening. You want to trade down and then trade back up? I just dont see it happening, plus your asking for us to spend two straight 1st round picks on a DT. I think round 1 needs to be WR, RB, DE, or CB.

The Jags drafted Stroud followed by Henderson, The Pats drafted Warren followed by Wilfork ... is there an unspoken rule saying we shouldn't draft in the same position in back to back years. We draft where there is a major need and that need currently is DT .. after all we draft Thomas Smith followed by Jeff Burris and they were both CBs.

WR, RB, DE and even CB isn't as big a need as DT or LB

DraftBoy
01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
The Jags drafted Stroud followed by Henderson, The Pats drafted Warren followed by Wilfork ... is there an unspoken rule saying we shouldn't draft in the same position in back to back years. We draft where there is a major need and that need currently is DT .. after all we draft Thomas Smith followed by Jeff Burris and they were both CBs.

WR, RB, DE and even CB isn't as big a need as DT or LB

You didnt read what I wrote, of course there is no unspoken rule about taking the same posistion in the 1st round in consecutive years (ex. Antoine Winfield, and then Nate Clements), however we already have two other good DT's. We spent big money on Tripplett who we are locked into, and Kyle Williams showed alot of promise and skill last year. There is not really a need for another big name DT, unless McCargo is a bust which we cant even begin to consider yet. Thats why taking Okoye imo, makes no sense.

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 10:54 AM
if we were to pick a DE Gaines Adams could be available now that Jamaal Anderson has entered the draft

kernowboy
01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
You didnt read what I wrote, of course there is no unspoken rule about taking the same posistion in the 1st round in consecutive years (ex. Antoine Winfield, and then Nate Clements), however we already have two other good DT's. We spent big money on Tripplett who we are locked into, and Kyle Williams showed alot of promise and skill last year. There is not really a need for another big name DT, unless McCargo is a bust which we cant even begin to consider yet. Thats why taking Okoye imo, makes no sense.

Don't we need to rotate Triplett with McCargo and Williams with AN Other to keep them all fresh especially because as they are light in the pants when fronting up against bigger OL men?

Having spent a bundle on Reed and Price, a 1st round WR makes little sense, with McGahee still onboard and an outstanding RB class coming up in 2008 to draft an RB would be jumping the gun, a CB having drafted Youboty and with inexperience elsewhere in the DB seems unwise and we need a LE not the smaller RE.

In fact only LB seems a drafting need. However if we continue to use undersized DTs .. 1) we need a quality rotation 2) we need to have a large DT to help stuff the run

DraftBoy
01-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Don't we need to rotate Triplett with McCargo and Williams with AN Other to keep them all fresh especially because as they are light in the pants when fronting up against bigger OL men?

Having spent a bundle on Reed and Price, a 1st round WR makes little sense, with McGahee still onboard and an outstanding RB class coming up in 2008 to draft an RB would be jumping the gun, a CB having drafted Youboty and with inexperience elsewhere in the DB seems unwise and we need a LE not the smaller RE.

In fact only LB seems a drafting need. However if we continue to use undersized DTs .. 1) we need a quality rotation 2) we need to have a large DT to help stuff the run

Of course we do and thats the reason we picked up Hargrove at the deadline. He played inside for us this year. Also if all we need is a rotational DT then why would we waste a 1st round pick on one? Rather wait till Round 7 and take Derossio.

LB is not our only need worth drafting in round 1. Jarrett at WR, Hall at CB, Anderson at DE all also make sense over a LB at this point. Especially considering how good the LB depth is and that we can get a player like Siler who is a better prospect imo than Willis anyways when you add in the intangibles.

mysticsoto
01-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Of course we do and thats the reason we picked up Hargrove at the deadline. He played inside for us this year. Also if all we need is a rotational DT then why would we waste a 1st round pick on one? Rather wait till Round 7 and take Derossio.

LB is not our only need worth drafting in round 1. Jarrett at WR, Hall at CB, Anderson at DE all also make sense over a LB at this point. Especially considering how good the LB depth is and that we can get a player like Siler who is a better prospect imo than Willis anyways when you add in the intangibles.

Hargrove is really a DE and might be better to move there if we let Kelsay go. We don't have a DT that can stop the run very well at the 1-gap and that is Okoye's specialty. He seems very tailored for our style of defense and it might be a mistake to let him slide. Our Dline DTs have to be of a specific type and he's probably one of the few that actually fit now that Dorsey didn't declare himself.

Stopping the run should be top priority in terms of offseason decisions, and Okoye looks like the best option to do this.

DraftBoy
01-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Hargrove is really a DE and might be better to move there if we let Kelsay go. We don't have a DT that can stop the run very well at the 1-gap and that is Okoye's specialty. He seems very tailored for our style of defense and it might be a mistake to let him slide. Our Dline DTs have to be of a specific type and he's probably one of the few that actually fit now that Dorsey didn't declare himself.

Stopping the run should be top priority in terms of offseason decisions, and Okoye looks like the best option to do this.

I agree Hargrove would be better at DE, but he can play DT and do it well. Okoye is a good option for our O, but do we really want to pay that much money to a FA who we somewhat overpayed for, and 2 1st rounds picks, to only two starters? I would rather pickup a vet FA like Ian Scott to be our 4th in rotation. Why would we use a 1st rounder on a backup DT at this point?

I also agree stopping the run is a top priority but who is the unit who gets the most stops in the running game? Its not the DL its the LB crew. The LB class is so deep this year. Also taking an all around DE, which we dont have can only improve this team.

Bmax
01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I agree Hargrove would be better at DE, but he can play DT and do it well. Okoye is a good option for our O, but do we really want to pay that much money to a FA who we somewhat overpayed for, and 2 1st rounds picks, to only two starters? I would rather pickup a vet FA like Ian Scott to be our 4th in rotation. Why would we use a 1st rounder on a backup DT at this point?

I also agree stopping the run is a top priority but who is the unit who gets the most stops in the running game? Its not the DL its the LB crew. The LB class is so deep this year. Also taking an all around DE, which we dont have can only improve this team.

Hargrove is a DE and was used At DT because of the injury to MCcargo.. Quality is what we need ...I want a winner .. A playoff team ..A team that can handle the run ..San diego and NE will keep pounding us till we find the answer in the midle.

I'm not sold on Ian Scott.. Sure he is better than Tim Anderson but not by leaps and bounds.....The answer to everybody question of how do the bills best help themselves is by Drafting or Signing a playmaker in the front seven.

Right now it looks like the following players could fill that void...

Dwight Freeney-Long shot -will likely be franchised

Lance Briggs-Same as above....

Amobi Okoye-Early reports say this guy could be just what the D needs.. Quick explosive and tough....Leader etc....Should be their at 12....

Alan Branch-Big Good Athlete.....Don't worry about his size he speed is what counts .. Their are guys who are just as big in other teams cover 2 defenses. probably gone by 12

Jamal Anderson-Big physical ...pass rusher

Patrick Willis-6-2 240-a lot depends on speed at combine and how well he drops in coverage...

Paul Posluszny- will be their trade down possibility....is he big enough to handle the middle in NFL....

Quenten Moses-athletic De....has upside but i think he will take time to develope

Jarvis Moss-same as above.......

The cover 2 D relies on speed and pressure on the QB... Either through the DT or DE .. I wonder how many more sacks giys like Schobel and Kelsay could get if they had more push in the pocket or more third and long's......

Sure CB would be nice but i think Free Agency or a 2nd or 3rd rd pick plus Youbooty could handle this....

This defenses front seven is more cruical to sucess then the secondary....

One of those players will help us improve our Run D ....and Pass Def...Drafting WR won't help this team make the playoffs in 2007

Like Marv Always says "You Must have the ability to Run And Stop The Run"....

Bmax

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Thread re-opened not sure why it was closed

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-16-2007, 08:31 AM
I will try to think like Marv and this is what I come up with:

1. Justin Blalock, G/T, Texas - alt. pick - Patrick Willis, LB, Miss
2. David Harris, ILB, Michigan - alt. pick - Zach Miller, TE, Az
3. DeShawn Wynn, RB, Florida - alt pick - CJ Gadis, CB, Clemson

Later picks I would like:

Le'Ron Mclain, FB, Alabama
Courtney Taylor, WR, Auburn
Stanley Doughty, DT, So. Car.
Tanard Jackson, CB, Syracuse

mysticsoto
01-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I will try to think like Marv and this is what I come up with:

1. Justin Blalock, G/T, Texas - alt. pick - Patrick Willis, LB, Miss
2. David Harris, ILB, Michigan - alt. pick - Zach Miller, TE, Az
3. DeShawn Wynn, RB, Florida - alt pick - CJ Gadis, CB, Clemson

Later picks I would like:

Le'Ron Mclain, FB, Alabama
Courtney Taylor, WR, Auburn
Stanley Doughty, DT, So. Car.
Tanard Jackson, CB, Syracuse

Justin Blalock at #12 ???

I don' think I like any of these picks...except for Patrick Willis, but we could likely get a decent LB later (there are plenty in this draft) and might even want to consider getting a FA anyway and draft a raw backup with speed and size. Maybe Anthony Harris or even Nate Harris in the 2nd day...

Earthquake Enyart
01-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I think we take a CB or LB in rd. 1.

We need to replace Fletcher and Clemens

During the Polian years, it seemed like we took a CB every year No. 1.

DraftBoy
01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
1. Lynch-RB-Cal
2. Siler-MLB-Florida
3. Johnson-DE-UGA *-Would need to fall some
4. Leak-QB-Florida
6. Ball-WR-New Hampshire
7. Derossio-DT-Saginaw

acattack15
01-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I Like taking Marshawn Lynch in the 1st Round. I am getting fed up with Willis and his off the field issue. I say we should draft a RB, possible Lynch, in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

I also belive MLB is a major need, along with CB. Maybe trading down and grabbing Patrick Willis, MLB from Ole Miss. the guy has all the tools to be a All-Pro MLB. For CB i would take Hall from Michigan and if he is taken, which is most likely, go to another need and grab a CB in Free Agency or later on in draft.

Needs in 1st Round:
MLB- Patrick Willis: Ole Miss http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/patrickwillis.html
RB- Marshawn Lynch: http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/marshawn/
CB- Leon Hall: Michigan
WR- Dwayne Jarret: USC
DT- Alan Branch: Michigan

mysticsoto
01-18-2007, 08:21 AM
I Like taking Marshawn Lynch in the 1st Round. I am getting fed up with Willis and his off the field issue. I say we should draft a RB, possible Lynch, in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

I also belive MLB is a major need, along with CB. Maybe trading down and grabbing Patrick Willis, MLB from Ole Miss. the guy has all the tools to be a All-Pro MLB. For CB i would take Hall from Michigan and if he is taken, which is most likely, go to another need and grab a CB in Free Agency or later on in draft.

Needs in 1st Round:
MLB- Patrick Willis: Ole Miss http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/patrickwillis.html
RB- Marshawn Lynch: http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/marshawn/
CB- Leon Hall: Michigan
WR- Dwayne Jarret: USC
DT- Alan Branch: Michigan

Neither Leon Hall nor Alan Branch are likely to be available by the time we pick...

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Neither Leon Hall nor Alan Branch are likely to be available by the time we pick...

I disagree Hall should be avail, his stock is falling after getting smoked twice on national TV.

mysticsoto
01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
I disagree Hall should be avail, his stock is falling after getting smoked twice on national TV.

Perhaps, though I really see the Dolphins taking him - but then again, the Dolphins have no coach so who knows what direction they will be going and who they will retain out of their 20 FAs, and then finally, who they will target.

If Leon Hall falls to us, would you prefer him over McCauley and/or Revis? He appears to excel in zone type coverage, doesn't he? He might be better suited to our style of defense...but if we take him as a 1st rounder to start...does he play nickel? Do we let him and Youboty battle it out?

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Perhaps, though I really see the Dolphins taking him - but then again, the Dolphins have no coach so who knows what direction they will be going and who they will retain out of their 20 FAs, and then finally, who they will target.

If Leon Hall falls to us, would you prefer him over McCauley and/or Revis? He appears to excel in zone type coverage, doesn't he? He might be better suited to our style of defense...but if we take him as a 1st rounder to start...does he play nickel? Do we let him and Youboty battle it out?

I prefer none of them to be honest. I like Wright from UNLV in the 3rd round.

mysticsoto
01-18-2007, 09:45 AM

The blurb you have listed for him in the CB profiles says something about "off the field" issues - what does that refer to?

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 09:55 AM
The blurb you have listed for him in the CB profiles says something about "off the field" issues - what does that refer to?

Everything I read said it was work ethic issues, I did a search and came up with no charges.

Another guy to keep any eye on is CJ Gaddis from Clemson.

mysticsoto
01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Everything I read said it was work ethic issues, I did a search and came up with no charges.

Another guy to keep any eye on is CJ Gaddis from Clemson.

I hadn't realized the glut of CBs that there is this draft along with WRs and a fair amount of LBs...

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I hadn't realized the glut of CBs that there is this draft along with WRs and a fair amount of LBs...

LB
CB
WR
QB
DE

Are all deep posistions

kernowboy
01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
R1 Trade down with Saints for R1, R3 and R2'08
R1 (Saints) Paul Posluzny LB - can play in or out
R2 Justin Harrell DT or Greg Olsen TE
R3 Doug Free LT - could be a Steinbach and cover behind Peters
R3 (Saints) Dan Bazuin DE or Keenan Carter NT
R4 Jonathan Wade CB
R6 Zac deOssie LB - lets get some proper LB depth that can play
R7 a WR
OFA a FB

DraftBoy
01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
FA:
DE Charles Grant
LB Lance Briggs

R1: Dwayne Jarrett WR-USC
R2: Josh Beekman OG-BC
R3: Eric Wright CB-UNLV
R4: Marcus Thomas DT-Florida
R6: Ramonce Taylor RB-Texas
R7: Xsavie Jackson DE-Missouri

mysticsoto
01-30-2007, 03:00 PM
FA:
DE Charles Grant
LB Lance Briggs

Gasp! You gave up Siler? :shocked: :D

For a lineman, I still rather Sears who's more versatile on the line in terms of positions not to mention athletic...

Devin
01-30-2007, 04:34 PM
FA:
DE Charles Grant
LB Lance Briggs

HELL YEAH!

kernowboy
01-30-2007, 04:46 PM
At FA, nice DE, but a LB almost certain to get tagged

R1 a slow WR
R3 & R4, players with huge character issues

Surprising choices

A DE in FA - Pat Kerney
A WR in FA instead of a LB - Ashley Lelie
A RG - Kris Dielman

R1 the Pos
R2 Greg Olsen
R3 Justin Harrell
R4 Jonathan Wade
R6 Zak deOssie
R7 Eldra Buckley

DraftBoy
01-30-2007, 08:17 PM
At FA, nice DE, but a LB almost certain to get tagged

R1 a slow WR
R3 & R4, players with huge character issues

Surprising choices

A DE in FA - Pat Kerney
A WR in FA instead of a LB - Ashley Lelie
A RG - Kris Dielman

R1 the Pos
R2 Greg Olsen
R3 Justin Harrell
R4 Jonathan Wade
R6 Zak deOssie
R7 Eldra Buckley

What gives you any inclination Briggs will be a tag? We dont know that, the only we do know that about is Freeney. Kerney is already close to a new deal with ATL, so forget that one. Lelie isnt worth the money he's going to want, Ive gone into that. Dielman I like. Again you have to defend your mock picks with a trade down, which makes it hard to believe. WE DO NOT NEED A FAST WR. How many times do we need to go over this, we need an over the middle big target. What character issues are yuo talking about with Eric Wright, and all reports on Marcus Thomas have been glowing in interviews.

Btw whats up with the groan?

DraftBoy
01-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Gasp! You gave up Siler? :shocked: :D

For a lineman, I still rather Sears who's more versatile on the line in terms of positions not to mention athletic...

I didnt want to, trust me, but Im not going to fall in love with a player and keep putting him in my mocks If we cant sign Briggs I dont draft Beekman, and Id sign an OG like Dielman in the offseason instead. Im not convinced about Sears, last season he was stellar but I saw him get beat more often this season, but I thought he was playing through an injury.

kernowboy
01-31-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm not at all impressed with Jarrett - I think picking up a TE like Olsen would be a far better option and getting him in the 2nd

If Briggs isn't tagged then the GM of the Bears should be publicly flogged

Wright has kicked out of school cos of huge stash of ecstacy pills apparently and transfered to UNLV. He only has a couple of years experience as well having missed time due to injury

Thomas got kicked off his team and even if he had Mother Theresa as a character witness I wouldn't touch with a 100ft pole.

Defences win championship as the old saying goes and a WR at 12 when we need to revamp the LB corps as well as get a NT.

We should go defence in 2007

In 2008 we could go

First pick - R1 Steve Slaton RB (using our R1+R3+R6 to move up)
Second pick - R1 Adarious Bowman WR (using our R3, compensation R3 for Clements, R4, R7 to move up)
Third pick - R5 Owen Schmitt FB

having already fixed the D, we could finally go all the way in 2008

DraftBoy
01-31-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm not at all impressed with Jarrett - I think picking up a TE like Olsen would be a far better option and getting him in the 2nd

If Briggs isn't tagged then the GM of the Bears should be publicly flogged

Wright has kicked out of school cos of huge stash of ecstacy pills apparently and transfered to UNLV. He only has a couple of years experience as well having missed time due to injury

Thomas got kicked off his team and even if he had Mother Theresa as a character witness I wouldn't touch with a 100ft pole.

Defences win championship as the old saying goes and a WR at 12 when we need to revamp the LB corps as well as get a NT.

We should go defence in 2007

In 2008 we could go

First pick - R1 Steve Slaton RB (using our R1+R3+R6 to move up)
Second pick - R1 Adarious Bowman WR (using our R3, compensation R3 for Clements, R4, R7 to move up)
Third pick - R5 Owen Schmitt FB

having already fixed the D, we could finally go all the way in 2008

ILB and DT are not nearly the biggest issue on this team. We get burned more on outside runs than we do on the inside runs. Of course signing Grant helps with that. There has been numerous articles about Briggs and Coach Jauron having a great relationship and the Bears know how to produce LB's. Should they let him go? No, but Im not clear on their cap situation. Both Eric Wright and Marcus Thomas, yes had off the field problems, but both have had exemplary attitudes and behaviors since. Comments made during the all star games were that Marcus Thomas finally has his head on straight. Levy is a high character guy but he doesnt just right guys off after one problem. He gives people 2nd chances. Wright has not had a drug issue since his freshman year at USC, and I believe as part of NCAA requirements does random drug testing.

As for your 08 draft, Ill pass on Steve Slaton, and there is no way Id trade up for him, his propensity to put the ball on the ground and his inability to stay healthy are big red flags. Id rather a McFadden, James Stewart type. Also why more trades? This many trades just dont make sense to me. Why would we trade down, up, down. It just doesnt make any sense.

X-Era
02-01-2007, 07:50 PM
ILB and DT are not nearly the biggest issue on this team. We get burned more on outside runs than we do on the inside runs. Of course signing Grant helps with that. There has been numerous articles about Briggs and Coach Jauron having a great relationship and the Bears know how to produce LB's. Should they let him go? No, but Im not clear on their cap situation. Both Eric Wright and Marcus Thomas, yes had off the field problems, but both have had exemplary attitudes and behaviors since. Comments made during the all star games were that Marcus Thomas finally has his head on straight. Levy is a high character guy but he doesnt just right guys off after one problem. He gives people 2nd chances. Wright has not had a drug issue since his freshman year at USC, and I believe as part of NCAA requirements does random drug testing.

As for your 08 draft, Ill pass on Steve Slaton, and there is no way Id trade up for him, his propensity to put the ball on the ground and his inability to stay healthy are big red flags. Id rather a McFadden, James Stewart type. Also why more trades? This many trades just dont make sense to me. Why would we trade down, up, down. It just doesnt make any sense.

Im not necessarily against the trades if we play to the strength of the draft. On principal, I actually liked that Levy felt there was a big drop off after McCargo and made the move up to ensure he would get him.

This year appears to be a year where the late 1st and late 2nd dont impress me that much. Im actually thinking the 3rd round is one of the strongest rounds overall.

I see guys like Mozes (maybe a bit too early well see), Grubbs (more likely late 2nd), Satele, Paul Williams, Higgins Jr., Brian Leonhard, Steve Smith, all in that range and that getting 2 guys from that list would be a good thing.

I wouldnt mind a trade out of the 2nd for another 3rd and 5th or something actually. If Mebane is there at our 2nd, maybe hes the guy, maybe too high. If Michael Bush is there, thats awfully tempting. Aaron Sears? yeah, id make that pick too. Not sure who else is really worth it though. Buster Davis? maybe, maybe not. WR? I think theres a drop off after Meachem who probably goes late round 1, if he dropped to us, Id like that pick too.

BILLSROCK1212
02-03-2007, 10:33 AM

swap Miller and Bowe around and instead of Nicholas we draft Manuel Ramirez and by the way Connor didnt enter the draft but Tim Shaw and 'Puz' are in it

BILLSROCK1212
02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
i like Eric Weedle from Utah and Tanard Jackson from Syracuse ooo and if Daymeion Hughes can run a better 40 at the combine he is my favorite CB in the draft

DraftBoy
02-03-2007, 10:42 AM
i like Eric Weedle from Utah

He's a S, though he can play CB.

BILLSROCK1212
02-03-2007, 10:46 AM
He's a S, though he can play CB.
i know i ment more as a 3rd to 4th round pick

ParanoidAndroid
02-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Nicholas may still be around early day 2. Much like Whitner and Simpson at S last year, Willis (in RD1) and Nicholas (in RD4) re-solidify a position being vacated by solid veterans.

FA:
G Derrick Dockery - whoever stands out at RT this offseason will do well with him next door.
CB Tory James (one or 2 years) - Veteran stop-gap as we develop the youngsters by way of the nickel position.
DT Alphonso Boone - Not a top tier player, but solid and will stop the major bleeding. An upgrade over Anderson.
TE Daniel Graham - Adds a wrinkle to the offense that everyone, especially Losman, needs.

re-sign: Gandy, Hargrove, A. Thomas, K Thomas

RD1: LB Patrick Willis - he upgrades Fletcher and allows Crowell and Spikes to stay outside.
RD2: CB Daymeion Hughes - If he falls lke many of the draft pundits say he will, he is a no-brainer here. I still think he's the best CB in the draft.
RD3: DE Tim Crowder - Gives us a run stopping presence at end.
RD4: OLB Stephen Nicholas - got better every year in college and was very productive senior year. He's another tailor made OLB for the Tampa 2. FB LeRon McClain is worth a look here as well.
RD6: RB John Cornish - a solid all around back with some potential. WR is another option here.
RD7: OT Chris Denman - should push Pennington and Butler and may even win the job

No changes at WR until next year. Greg Gunn WR, Florida State 6'6" 203

DraftBoy
02-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Nicholas may still be around early day 2. Much like Whitner and Simpson at S last year, Willis (in RD1) and Nicholas (in RD4) solidify a position being vacated by solid veterans.

FA:
G Derrick Dockery - whoever stands out at RT this offseason will do well with him next door.
CB Tory James (one or 2 years) - Veteran stop-gap as we develop the youngsters by way of the nickel position.
DT Alphonso Boone - Not a top tier player, but solid and will stop the major bleeding. An upgrade over Anderson.
TE Daniel Graham - Adds a wrinkle to the offense that everyone, especially Losman, needs.

re-sign: Gandy, Hargrove, A. Thomas, K Thomas

RD1: LB Patrick Willis - he upgrades Fletcher and allows Crowell and Spikes to stay outside.
RD2: CB Daymeion Hughes - If he falls lke many of the draft pundits say he will, he is a no-brainer here. I still think he's the best CB in the draft.
RD3: DE Tim Crowder - Gives us a run stopping presence at end.
RD4: OLB Stephen Nicholas - got better every year in college and was very productive senior year. He's another tailor made OLB for the Tampa 2. FB LeRon McClain is worth a look here as well.
RD6: RB John Cornish - a solid all around back with some potential. WR is another option here.
RD7: OT Chris Denman - should push Pennington and Butler and may even win the job

No changes at WR until next year. Greg Gunn WR, Florida State 6'6" 203

Rather a DT like Marcus Thomas over Crowder and then Xsavie Jackson DE Mizzou over Denman in rd 7.

kernowboy
02-07-2007, 01:11 PM
In Free Agency I would look at this

RG Kris Dielmann or similar - Dockery or Diehl would also be excellent
MLB Napolean Harris - with Greenaway, Henderson and Leber, they struggle to resign him and at 27, 6ft2 and 255lbs he has the youth and the size
DT - Boone would help and I'd take a long look at Anttaj Hawthorne who has slowly and surely adjusted to the pro-game

and in the draft
R1 Willis or a trade down for Posluzny
R2 Sidney Rice or Robert Meacham
R3 a steal in Doug Free
R4 a DT or CB
R6 Zac deOssie
R7 Jesse Allen
key OFA Eldra Buckley

DraftBoy
02-07-2007, 01:39 PM

MLB Napolean Harris - with Greenaway, Henderson and Leber, they struggle to resign him and at 27, 6ft2 and 255lbs he has the youth and the size
DT - Boone would help and I'd take a long look at Anttaj Hawthorne who has slowly and surely adjusted to the pro-game

and in the draft
R3 a steal in Doug Free
R4 a DT or CB
R6 Zac deOssie
R7 Jesse Allen
key OFA Eldra Buckley

No DE, or RB help?

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
IN FA
Resign K. Thomes, C. Kelsay, Sign Stienbach and Dielman.

Draft

RD1 Trade down with Denver to 21 for both of their 3rd rounders!

RD1 pick Timmons OLB
RD2 pick Olsen TE
RD3 pick Bishop ILB
RD3 pick J. Hill WR
RD3 pick A.J. Davis CB
RD4 pick Thomes DT
Rd6 pick G. Race RB
RD7 pick Snelling FB

LifetimeBillsFan
02-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Here's one way that the Bills could approach the draft and free agency:

Free agency:
Attempt to re-sign:
1.) K.Thomas (if at all possible, if not, R.Hood, Philly or J.Williams, Seattle)
2.) J.Greer (D. Macklin, Arizona; T.Fisher, St.Louis)
3.) C.Kelsay (D.White, Tampa Bay; J.Smith, Cincinnatti)
4.) A.Hargrove (N.D.Kalu, Houston)
5.) M.Gandy (M.Holland, Saints; D.Dockery, Washington)

Make a decent offer to, but don't break the bank for N.Clements. If Clements and K.Thomas cannot be re-signed, do everything possible to sign: T.James, Cincinnatti or P.Buchanon, Tampa Bay (alternatively, though not ideally, Jamar Fletcher, Detroit or Duane Starks, Oakland).

Attempt to sign one of the players below:
1.) C.Diehlmann, San Diego or D.Diehl, NY Giants: Diehl was coached up from a street FA to starter by McNally, so he might be easier to sign

The Draft:
Rounds 2-4 vary depending on whether Clements leaves and is replaced by James/Buchanon or Fletcher/Starks and if only one or two OGs are signed in free agency.

1.) L.Timmons, LB, Fla.St.--no trade down: don't risk losing him to St.Louis or Carolina

2.) D.Hughes, CB, Cal (or best CB on board) or M.Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech--depends on what happens in free agency

3.) B.Mebane, DT, Cal--to team with K.Williams at 1-gap DT (if not available: best WR and take D.Robinson, DT, Miss.St. in Round 6)

4.) P.Williams, WR, Fresno St. or B.Patrick, TE, Delaware--depends on if Williams is still on the board or WR taken in Round 3

6.) J.Jones, WR, Lane or D.Ball, WR, New Hampshire (if WR not already selected) or C.Harris, TE, Rutgers or B.Celak, TE, Cincinnatti--if none of these remain, best WR (if none already selected), J.Hickman, DE, UCLA or best O-lineman left on board

7.) B.Lau, FB, Boise St.

Result:

This approach would mean that:

1.) A.Crowell would be the MLB, Timmons would back up Spikes and Ellison until ready to start (Spikes could be cut loose after season if not recovered from injury). Timmons would give the Bills a young, athletic play-maker at OLB

2.) Mebane (or Robinson) would replace Anderson and team with K.Williams: the rookies might struggle at first, but would solidify the middle of the line as they develop.

3.) Either the Bills would end up with Clements or a pretty good CB, one top FA OG and one decent FA OG and a rookie OG with potential; or a fair CB to replace Clements and a top rookie CB to take ultimately replace him and two of the top FA OGs. Either way, their defense doesn't suffer much, but their offensive line is improved.

4.) The Bills get a big WR to pair with Lee Evans: either a fast deep threat like Williams or Jones or a sure-handed receiver like Ball.

5.) The Bills add a TE who can block and make some catches as a receiver, allowing them to use Cieslak more as a H-back/FB type blocker or a young lineman, either a DE, in Hickman, or an offensive lineman to develop.

6.) Lau, who is familiar with Kugler, the Bills' new assistant O-line coach, teams with Cieslak to replace D.Shelton's blocking. Lau isn't huge, but is a good blocker who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Rationale:

This approach is predicated on the idea that the Bills will look to sign one, at most two, "big-money" free agents (two if Clements leaves) and would look to replace any of their own free agents that they might lose with players of roughly the same ability and cost. That would mean that, after replacing any free agents that they might lose, they would have their choice of bringing a top-flight free agent at only one of these three positions: OG, DT, LB.

I chose to have them bring in a top-flight OG and address the other two positions in the draft because offensive linemen take longer to develop and because I believe that a better running game and pass protection would not only help the offense be more productive, but help the defense as well. Doing that, however, would mean that the Bills would have to draft either a LB or DT early on in the draft. With Branch likely to go early and Okoye moving up draft boards and weighing only 287 at the Senior Bowl, IMHO it is likely that there will not be a DT on the board worth taking with the # 12 pick in the draft. Which meant choosing between a MLB or OLB: Willis or Timmons.

I believe that better LB play will make the run defense better and that the Bills can afford to move Crowell to MLB, if they have a play-making OLB in the mode of D.Brooks. Spikes may no longer be able to play at that level, he is very expensive and in the last 2 years of his contract, so taking a play-maker like Timmons to take over from Spikes seemed to offer more long-term benefit than going with Willis. Doing that would then allow them to address the position that they weren't able to upgrade in free agency in Round 2 and still fill their need for a DT later on.

As much as I can see the Bills going for a big-play WR at the top of the draft-and would love to see them do that, given the depth of this WR class and the drop-off in talent at some of their positions of need, I think it would be more logical to wait until the middle-to-late rounds to pick up a big WR. With Everett looking more and more like a bust and injuries to Neufeld and Shelton possibly ending their careers, IMHO the Bills need to bring in some blockers at those positions and I chose to address them in the late rounds.

While this approach might only marginally improve the team next season in some areas, the team would be in pretty good shape to make a serious run in the playoffs the following year and beyond. And, it takes into account the financial limitations of the team, leaving the Bills with money under the cap to sign Evans, Losman and, perhaps, if they wanted, McGahee or some other young player(s) to contract extensions.

So, what do you think?

DraftBoy
02-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Here's one way that the Bills could approach the draft and free agency:

Free agency:
Attempt to re-sign:
1.) K.Thomas (if at all possible, if not, R.Hood, Philly or J.Williams, Seattle)
2.) J.Greer (D. Macklin, Arizona; T.Fisher, St.Louis)
3.) C.Kelsay (D.White, Tampa Bay; J.Smith, Cincinnatti)
4.) A.Hargrove (N.D.Kalu, Houston)
5.) M.Gandy (M.Holland, Saints; D.Dockery, Washington)

Make a decent offer to, but don't break the bank for N.Clements. If Clements and K.Thomas cannot be re-signed, do everything possible to sign: T.James, Cincinnatti or P.Buchanon, Tampa Bay (alternatively, though not ideally, Jamar Fletcher, Detroit or Duane Starks, Oakland).

Attempt to sign one of the players below:
1.) C.Diehlmann, San Diego or D.Diehl, NY Giants: Diehl was coached up from a street FA to starter by McNally, so he might be easier to sign

The Draft:
Rounds 2-4 vary depending on whether Clements leaves and is replaced by James/Buchanon or Fletcher/Starks and if only one or two OGs are signed in free agency.

1.) L.Timmons, LB, Fla.St.--no trade down: don't risk losing him to St.Louis or Carolina

2.) D.Hughes, CB, Cal (or best CB on board) or M.Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech--depends on what happens in free agency

3.) B.Mebane, DT, Cal--to team with K.Williams at 1-gap DT (if not available: best WR and take D.Robinson, DT, Miss.St. in Round 6)

4.) P.Williams, WR, Fresno St. or B.Patrick, TE, Delaware--depends on if Williams is still on the board or WR taken in Round 3

6.) J.Jones, WR, Lane or D.Ball, WR, New Hampshire (if WR not already selected) or C.Harris, TE, Rutgers or B.Celak, TE, Cincinnatti--if none of these remain, best WR (if none already selected), J.Hickman, DE, UCLA or best O-lineman left on board

7.) B.Lau, FB, Boise St.

Result:

This approach would mean that:

1.) A.Crowell would be the MLB, Timmons would back up Spikes and Ellison until ready to start (Spikes could be cut loose after season if not recovered from injury). Timmons would give the Bills a young, athletic play-maker at OLB

2.) Mebane (or Robinson) would replace Anderson and team with K.Williams: the rookies might struggle at first, but would solidify the middle of the line as they develop.

3.) Either the Bills would end up with Clements or a pretty good CB, one top FA OG and one decent FA OG and a rookie OG with potential; or a fair CB to replace Clements and a top rookie CB to take ultimately replace him and two of the top FA OGs. Either way, their defense doesn't suffer much, but their offensive line is improved.

4.) The Bills get a big WR to pair with Lee Evans: either a fast deep threat like Williams or Jones or a sure-handed receiver like Ball.

5.) The Bills add a TE who can block and make some catches as a receiver, allowing them to use Cieslak more as a H-back/FB type blocker or a young lineman, either a DE, in Hickman, or an offensive lineman to develop.

6.) Lau, who is familiar with Kugler, the Bills' new assistant O-line coach, teams with Cieslak to replace D.Shelton's blocking. Lau isn't huge, but is a good blocker who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Rationale:

This approach is predicated on the idea that the Bills will look to sign one, at most two, "big-money" free agents (two if Clements leaves) and would look to replace any of their own free agents that they might lose with players of roughly the same ability and cost. That would mean that, after replacing any free agents that they might lose, they would have their choice of bringing a top-flight free agent at only one of these three positions: OG, DT, LB.

I chose to have them bring in a top-flight OG and address the other two positions in the draft because offensive linemen take longer to develop and because I believe that a better running game and pass protection would not only help the offense be more productive, but help the defense as well. Doing that, however, would mean that the Bills would have to draft either a LB or DT early on in the draft. With Branch likely to go early and Okoye moving up draft boards and weighing only 287 at the Senior Bowl, IMHO it is likely that there will not be a DT on the board worth taking with the # 12 pick in the draft. Which meant choosing between a MLB or OLB: Willis or Timmons.

I believe that better LB play will make the run defense better and that the Bills can afford to move Crowell to MLB, if they have a play-making OLB in the mode of D.Brooks. Spikes may no longer be able to play at that level, he is very expensive and in the last 2 years of his contract, so taking a play-maker like Timmons to take over from Spikes seemed to offer more long-term benefit than going with Willis. Doing that would then allow them to address the position that they weren't able to upgrade in free agency in Round 2 and still fill their need for a DT later on.

As much as I can see the Bills going for a big-play WR at the top of the draft-and would love to see them do that, given the depth of this WR class and the drop-off in talent at some of their positions of need, I think it would be more logical to wait until the middle-to-late rounds to pick up a big WR. With Everett looking more and more like a bust and injuries to Neufeld and Shelton possibly ending their careers, IMHO the Bills need to bring in some blockers at those positions and I chose to address them in the late rounds.

While this approach might only marginally improve the team next season in some areas, the team would be in pretty good shape to make a serious run in the playoffs the following year and beyond. And, it takes into account the financial limitations of the team, leaving the Bills with money under the cap to sign Evans, Losman and, perhaps, if they wanted, McGahee or some other young player(s) to contract extensions.

So, what do you think?

Its a solid offseason, I dont like the fact that we do nothing to improve the DL really. Which imo was the biggest issue last year. Getting Mebane in the 3rdd will help but not upgrading our LDE spot is going to cause another year of headaches esp with how top heavy their DE class is.

Hughes is the ideal Cover 2 corner, but alot will depend on his 40 time at the combine and how tall he is. Early reports are that the Cal Media Guide lists him 2-3inches taller then he really is.

I cant see Paul Williams being around in the 4th but if he is, he's a great pickup, and Ill admit I dont know much about Ben Patrick, so Id need to do some digging.

Jones or Ball are great picks in the 6th!

the 7th round pick I can take or leave, a FB from Boise St isnt a horrible idea, but also I think Cieslak can do the job.

R. Rich
02-08-2007, 07:55 AM

and in the draft
R3 a steal in Doug Free
R4 a DT or CB
R6 Zac deOssie
R7 Jesse Allen
key OFA Eldra Buckley

Nap Harris? Up until last year, he's been a chronic underachiever in the pros. Maybe he finally got his s**t together, but I'm not sure I'd want to give him a big payday based on one season.

alohabillsfan
02-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Its a solid offseason, I dont like the fact that we do nothing to improve the DL really. Which imo was the biggest issue last year. Getting Mebane in the 3rdd will help but not upgrading our LDE spot is going to cause another year of headaches esp with how top heavy their DE class is.

Hughes is the ideal Cover 2 corner, but alot will depend on his 40 time at the combine and how tall he is. Early reports are that the Cal Media Guide lists him 2-3inches taller then he really is.

I cant see Paul Williams being around in the 4th but if he is, he's a great pickup, and Ill admit I dont know much about Ben Patrick, so Id need to do some digging.

Jones or Ball are great picks in the 6th!

the 7th round pick I can take or leave, a FB from Boise St isnt a horrible idea, but also I think Cieslak can do the job.

I really believe that alot of us are looking at this the wrong way (in regards to the D-line) First we had 40 sacks and rarely blitzed. Second Our MLB was always tackling 7 yards down field. I believe we need an impact MLB for this defense, that and with Whitner seasoned by his rookie year believe that this D will be fine (with Anderson replaced) but don't think it has to be a 1/2 rd pick, MLB is critical. And last, this defensive strategy is designed to create turnovers and shutdown the pass not the run, the way you stop the run in the TC2 is get the lead! With that said the offense and specifically, the O-Line needs to be upgraded, we need to be able to run the ball (since we were 27th in the league last season and the teams that were 28,29,30,31,and 32 all draft 1,2,3,4,5 should tell the Bills FO alot!

Anyways that's my thoughts...

DraftBoy
02-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I really believe that alot of us are looking at this the wrong way (in regards to the D-line) First we had 40 sacks and rarely blitzed. Second Our MLB was always tackling 7 yards down field. I believe we need an impact MLB for this defense, that and with Whitner seasoned by his rookie year believe that this D will be fine (with Anderson replaced) but don't think it has to be a 1/2 rd pick, MLB is critical. And last, this defensive strategy is designed to create turnovers and shutdown the pass not the run, the way you stop the run in the TC2 is get the lead! With that said the offense and specifically, the O-Line needs to be upgraded, we need to be able to run the ball (since we were 27th in the league last season and the teams that were 28,29,30,31,and 32 all draft 1,2,3,4,5 should tell the Bills FO alot!

We got burned last year up and down the field on the outside on runs. We cannot continue to let this happen. We need an impact LDE to contain opponents running games. One thing about the Cover 2 that we saw in Super Bowl is that if you cant stop the run consistently you cannot get your D off the field. With adding a good MLB and a good LDE we can get back to being a dominant defense.

alohabillsfan
02-08-2007, 10:25 AM
We got burned last year up and down the field on the outside on runs. We cannot continue to let this happen. We need an impact LDE to contain opponents running games. One thing about the Cover 2 that we saw in Super Bowl is that if you cant stop the run consistently you cannot get your D off the field. With adding a good MLB and a good LDE we can get back to being a dominant defense.

You are kidding, right? The bears defense has the best MLB in the NFL! What is wrong with their DE's? I will tell you what was wrong with Da Bears, their Offense! Could not run, could not pass and could not sustain a drive which is exactly what Indy did!

You see what a dominant defense got Chicago, Baltimore etc... without an above avg. offenese?

I agree we need an upgrade at MLB but that is only 1 piece, we need to upgrade our offense, specifically, the run offense we cannot be 27th in the league rushing the football and expect any defense to be any good. We could add Urlacher, Freeny, and Samual and if we are 27th in the league in rushing we will not make the playoffs!

DraftBoy
02-08-2007, 10:39 AM
You are kidding, right? The bears defense has the best MLB in the NFL! What is wrong with their DE's? I will tell you what was wrong with Da Bears, their Offense! Could not run, could not pass and could not sustain a drive which is exactly what Indy did!

You see what a dominant defense got Chicago, Baltimore etc... without an above avg. offenese?

I agree we need an upgrade at MLB but that is only 1 piece, we need to upgrade our offense, specifically, the run offense we cannot be 27th in the league rushing the football and expect any defense to be any good. We could add Urlacher, Freeny, and Samual and if we are 27th in the league in rushing we will not make the playoffs!

You must have patience with this team. The Bears problem was not their DE's but that they lost their top DT. DT may very well be a need for us, but we arent aware of what we got in McCargo so its still an unknown. Our offense is coming, but it takes time. We could use an OG and a WR but other than that, we dont have much we can add to our OL, we just need to have patience and let our young OL grow together.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-09-2007, 03:45 AM

You need to have a stud, play-making LB in the Tampa 2. It doesn't have to be a MLB, it can be an OLB, if he is the kind of guy who can create havoc. But, you MUST have one. For example: Tampa Bay never had an outstanding MLB (Shelton Quarles is good, but not outstanding), but did have Derrick Brooks. Indy's Cato June isn't outstanding, although he is a play-maker, but Gary Brackett is a stud against the run (everyone is talking about how Bob Sanders made their run D better in the playoffs, but the Colts also got Brackett back at the same time and he was just as much of a key as Sanders was against the run). And, we all know what kind of player Urlacher is.

The Bills didn't have that kind of disruptive, play-making stud LB last year. Takeo Spikes was that kind of player before getting injured, but, as we all know, he was hardly what he used to be last season. Angelo Crowell showed that he can make plays last season before he got hurt, but he simply isn't that kind of disruptive force, stud LB that a team needs to have a great D--Crowell would be the ideal compliment to such a player, though.

Now, Spikes could bounce back, like Julian Peterson, and be that kind of player for the Bills, but, then again, maybe he will and maybe he won't. And, just as importantly, TKO is going to be on the wrong side of 30 very soon and is very expensive. If he does come all the way back, how long will he be able to sustain that level of play--and can the Bills afford to extend him before or when his contract expires? Either way, the Bills will need to find a young, play-making stud LB soon to replace Spikes if they want to make a sustained run for a SB title. But, those kind of play-making, havoc-creating stud LBs don't grow on trees...and you've got to grab one when you get the chance to do so.

With Crowell being able to play inside or outside, it really doesn't matter for the Bills whether he's an MLB or OLB. In this draft, it seems there are only two LBs who seem to have the potential to fit that bill, though: P.Willis, the MLB from Mississippi or L.Timmons, OLB, from FSU. If the Bills can't get Okoye or Branch or decide that the DTs still on the board aren't going to improve their run D as much as a LB, I can definitely see them opting for one of these two LBs. In fact, right now, I think that Willis is the most likely player to be their pick at # 12. But I'm not sure that he has the same ability/potential to be a disruptive force that Timmons has (I must confess that I haven't seen nearly enough of Willis and have seen more of Timmons, so that may bias my opinion on this).

I think Whitner--and really everyone on the defense--will play better this season and that will help make the run defense a little better. But the Bills are going to need better play at the 1-gap spot--where the Bills asked K.Williams to come in heavier next season than he was--and from their LBs to improve as much as they need to. If he can get and stay healthy, McCargo can be a big help, but the Bills still need to add a DT to replace Anderson and a LB to replace Fletcher-Baker who, at least, can be a replacement starter and has the potential to develop into a replacement for Spikes in the starting lineup in a year or two.

With Kelsay and Denney combining for 11 1/2 sacks and Hargrove chipping in 2 more in limited time while also filling in some at DT, I don't think that the Bills really need to ignore other needs to obtain a DE. If the Bills can re-sign Kelsay and Hargrove at reasonable prices, they can get enough out of their DE rotation for their defense to be quite effective. If they can't re-sign one of those DEs, they can be replaced in free agency without breaking the bank. And, there are plenty of good pass-rushing, Tampa 2 type DEs in this draft: Bazuin of Central Michigan is short, but can really get after it and is a late Day One projection, etc. Unlike DEs in a conventional 4-3 or a 3-4, you can have smaller, quicker DEs in a Tampa 2 and there are a lot more of those kinds of players coming out of college in any given year than there are the kind of bigger DEs that are needed in other kinds of defenses. Not every one is a D.Freeney or A.Brown, but there are more college DEs in the 245-270 range who are quick, fast, and able to penetrate, pursue and get after the passer than there are 265-290 lb. DEs coming out of college who are strong enough to take on blockers and quick enough to get to the passer.

Having two impact DEs--a lot of Bills fans don't consider A.Schobel an impact DE, even though he is a Pro Bowler, but other teams and their fans sure do!--would be great (so would having a P.Manning or T.Brady at QB), but it is a luxury that you don't need to have to build a playoff contender or that the Bills can afford to sacrifice filling their more pressing needs to get at this point (you add one later or hope that you find one, like an Ogunleye or Mathis, in the middle rounds of a draft). Adding to the offense so that it can be more efficient in turning opportunities into TDs instead of FGs would do as much or more to help the Bills run defense as replacing the DEs that they have with an impact DE at this point.

One thing that was apparent during the course of last season was that the Bills offense will go and progress as its offensive line goes. And the key to getting more out of the Bills offensive line is the interior line. At left tackle, Jason Peters is just beginning what could be a long run as a premier player. He's already a good pass blocker and a decent run blocker. And, he's just going to get better at both. While he was average, at best, in his starts and you could see why he was a 7th round draft pick, Pennington's play last season was a shock and a pleasant revelation. He's raw and still has a lot to learn, but the progress that he made from where he was in training camp to where he ended the season was tremendous. If he improves half as much again this season, the Bills will set with him at the position for as long as they can keep him. But, he will have to improve that much because he didn't show much as a run blocker. You could see, though, that a lot of that was technique and the kind of awkwardness that big men sometimes have when they are still getting used to their size. Technique can be taught and the improvement Pennington made last year is an indication of his willingness to learn. And, as he learns and matures, physically and as a player, he will become less awkward and better able to get the leverage he needs to get a push when he is run blocking. There is no reason why Pennington should not continue to improve and, ultimately, become a decent run blocker. Both Pennington and Peters, however, would both greatly benefit, as run blockers, from playing beside better OGs.

Seattle and Minnesota proved last season how much of an impact a good OG can have on a team's running game: as good as W.Jones is as an LT, Seattle's running game wasn't nearly as good after S.Hutchinson left as it had been in previous seasons; while Minny's running game, while not spectacular, suddenly got better, even though the Vikes didn't have an elite RB carrying the ball for them.

Mike Gandy wasn't a bad run blocker once he moved to OG, but he was not consistent at all and was a liability in pass protection. At this point in his career, J.Peters isn't a bad run blocker, but it isn't his strong suit. He needs to play next to an OG who is a consistently good run blocker that can help him to be more consistent. And, playing with a smallish center against all of the 3-4 defenses in the AFC East with their mammoth, yet quick NTs and blitzing LBs, the Bills cannot afford to have OGs who aren't able to pass block well. Peters and Gandy aren't a bad combination on the left side of the line, but the Bills need better than that if they want to be serious playoff contenders.

At RG, Rock Preston has shown very little. He has nearly as much or more game experience at this stage as Peters and has yet to show that he can be adequate as either a run- or pass-blocker. Despite his weight and his big butt, he hasn't been able to demonstrate that he can consistently handle the bigger NTs and DTs in any phase of the game. His short-comings and inconsistency might be tolerable if he were playing next to a good, veteran OT who could help him out, but Pennington is too raw and inexperienced to do that: indeed, Pennington needs help, himself, to overcome his rawness at this stage, he can hardly help out Preston! With Preston and Pennington side-by-side, the Bills were unable to run to the right side at all last season and, as a result, opposing defenses were able to focus their attention in the run game to the left side of the Bills line, where Peters and Gandy were okay at times, allowing them to shut down the Bills' running game entirely. That is not acceptable and is something that the Bills must improve in order not only for their running attack, but for their entire offense to improve. And, as bad a run blocker and as raw as Pennington is, at least he showed noticeable improvement in his game last season. Preston did not.

The Bills are so thin and inexperienced on their offensive line that they may be forced to give Preston one last chance to show that he can be something more than a back-up in the NFL this season. But, unless he shows dramatic improvement, Preston is going to have to be replaced in order for the Bills to become legitimate playoff contenders. While it is possible that the Bills might have the solution to this problem already on their roster in the person of Aaron Merz or Brad Butler, neither was able to beat out Preston last season, even though Preston was obviously doing an inadequate job. That's not to say that Merz or Butler won't be able to do better this year, but neither could be expected to be that much better than Preston as a first year starter. The most immediate solution would be to sign one of the top free agent OGs to do that. If the Bills can't or won't do that, however, they must use a mid-round draft pick (no lower than Round 3 or 4) to select an interior lineman to groom to replace Preston as soon as possible--hoping that either he or Merz or Butler will be ready to step in for Preston by mid-season or the following year. My preference would be for the Bills to make an immediate move in free agency, even if that would mean that they would have to address their other immediate needs in the draft.

The Bills could opt to draft a big-play WR or RB (ie M.Lynch) to help their offense, but a QB has to have enough time for his WR to get down the field in order for the WR to make a big play and even the best RBs need at least a little hole to run through. If the Bills draft an offensive play-maker, but don't do something this offseason to improve their offensive line, they are going to have to hope that their offensive line not only improves, but that their interior offensive linemen make a quantum leap in performance level next season. While anything is possible, after watching Gandy and Preston for the last two years, I do not believe that that is likely to happen if the Bills have both of them in the starting lineup throughout next season.

I understand the financial limitations that the Bills are operating under and their philosophy about when to draft offensive linemen--and I am not asking them to break the bank in free agency or use their first two draft picks on an offensive lineman--but the interior offensive line is an area that they must focus on improving if the team is going to be able to have the kind of offense that it needs to have to seriously challenge for a playoff berth. They can do it this year or next, but it must be done (it also must be done if they hope to retain the services of their top offensive play-makers whose contracts are set to expire in the not too distant future). And, IMHO, it won't take that much to do what needs to be done.

Night Train
02-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Stopping the run is job #1. We need improvements at the 1 Gap DT, LDE and MLB.

What was scary to me was noticing our 2 best form tacklers on the team were Ellison and Whitner. Rookies.

Too many Vets had ball carriers in their grasp and failed to finish the play.

DraftBoy
02-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I think we are all paying way too much attention to the sack stats and not on the lack of the ability to stop the run. We can great pass rushers, we just dont have good DE's for consistently stopping the run. See Igntar's thread of Front Seven on our Dline deficinies.

mysticsoto
02-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I think we are all paying way too much attention to the sack stats and not on the lack of the ability to stop the run. We can great pass rushers, we just dont have good DE's for consistently stopping the run. See Igntar's thread of Front Seven on our Dline deficinies.

I still think DT is more important than DE and he confirmed it for me. If the 1-gap can't command 2 blockers, then there is always an extra blocker than can be moved toward wherever the RB is set to run through. The DEs will not be able to do much if they have a tackle in front of them and a guard that can help block or get them out of position for a run to occur. We need that DT that is going to command a double team and allow DEs to be one on one with an OT.

kernowboy
02-10-2007, 07:26 AM
No DE, or RB help?

Eldra Buckley is a RB who ran for 1204 yds this season - I'd consider him a replacement for Shaud Williams - I may move him into R7

Why extra RB help - we'll let Willis run out his contract and pick here in the deeper class of 2008

At DE, I see us either picking up someone like Charles Grant or better still Patrick Kerney to be a leader or sticking with the status quo. Its not an exceptional 4, but it is acceptable and other needs have priority. However if Dan Bazuin was around in the 3rd and we'd got an extra pick then he'd be worthy of consideration.

If the Chiefs cut Ryan Sims (probable?) then he would definitely be worth a very long look

kernowboy
02-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I think everyone's drafts are going to be revised as more players are made available in Free Agency. The guys that I would like to pick up are:

CB, Roderick Hood, Philadelphia Eagles. A track star with upside and youth who I am sure would be happy to come and compete for a starting job. As a backup plan it has been suggested that Ken Lucas might be cut and would be a decent alternative

WR, Kelley Washington, Cincinnati Bengals. Injury prone but with size and speed, a possible outside chance of being a No2 and a good special teamer. Davis is a FA. Do we sign him or go with more size?

OG, Kris Dielmann, San Diego Chargers. Diehl has done well since being drafted in R5 by NYG but I think they make a top effort to sign him. If we cannot make a free agency move here then move Reyes to RG to start the season and fast track Merz.

MLB, Napolean Harris, Minnesota Vikings. A college DE, moved to MLB started well with the Raiders but fell away due to injury came back strong last year with the Vikes. Big enough and at 27 still young enough.

DE Patrick Kerney. Atlanta Falcons. Contract has been voided and the new coaching staff may look to go a different way. Still not 30, with tremedous production and importantly a leader on the field. If not we stick with the 4 from last year.

DT Ryan Sims, Kansas City Chiefs. 5 players on their roster cost 20% of their cap. Sims is on very thin ice and if cut would be an excellent pick up, bulk in the middle to rotate with Williams

Resign Gandy, Hargrove, K.Thomas, A.Thomas

In the draft

R1. LB - we still need a LB as Spikes only has so much left if anything. We will have a new MLB and no-one on the staff will have missed the fact we
lost both Crowell and Spikes to injury thoughout the season. I am not comfortable having to start Wire, DiGiorgio or Haggan
R2. WR or TE - Rice, Meacham or Olsen. All would upgrade the receiving corps with Olsen allowing an effecting 2x TE offensive option
R3. a DT or a OG depending on whether we have signed Sims and/or Dielmann. If we have both I would look at a guy who can play LT to be an effective swing tackle backup
R4. BPA - don't really care if its a LB, DL, OL, even a QB
R6. RB - there are many undersized RBs who can be an effective 3rd down back and replace Shaud Williams. Personally I think Eldra Buckley would be a decent pickup
R7. FB Jesse Allen, Virginia Tech. Former walkon - hard as nails. An extra OL man with decent hands.

Oaklandraider
02-10-2007, 09:56 PM
^^^^^^^ i doubt your going to get all those FAs. wilson doesnt like to shell out alot of dough like Al davis,jerry jones,daniel snyder and seattles owner.

Elminster
02-11-2007, 08:45 PM
^^^^^^^ i doubt your going to get all those FAs. wilson doesnt like to shell out alot of dough like Al davis,jerry jones,daniel snyder and seattles owner.
And yet many of them have been as bad or worse than the Bills. and Ralph spends to the same salary cap as they do....hmmm...

Oaklandraider
02-12-2007, 01:52 AM
And yet many of them have been as bad or worse than the Bills. and Ralph spends to the same salary cap as they do....hmmm...

Raiders were good from from 99-02 and they spent evry penny of there cap on top tier FAs. They also resign charles woodson to what clements wants but your owner will not do that. Jerry jones spends all of his cap and his been in the playoffs alot. I never see the bills getting any big Name FAs like the boys do.
The seahawks have been damn good any they spend alot of cap example peterson,burleson, grant winstrom etc.. I never seen the bills get huge names like any of those teams. Im trying to be an ass im just stating the facts.

Bone
02-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Round 1. Amobi Okoye
Round 2. ( trade for another 1st round pick in the mid 20's) Greg Olsen

The pick on Olsen if very early but we really do need a TE badly

Anyone think about a fullback?

Night Train
02-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Guys like Okoye and Carriker can play both DT and DE. Food for thought.

Devin
02-14-2007, 11:49 PM
While I wont make any assumptions about FA, signing a LB and a CB makes this draft a lot more viable. You will then have upgraded your DL, presumably upgraded LB's, our secondary will take a step back because we wont have a shutdown calibur CB at the 1 spot anymore. At least for this season. Assuming the above happens the draft gives us a beast on the DL that can play almost anywhere, 2 youngsters that have starter potential at LB and CB.

On offense, it would be nice to get an upgrade at OG but even if we dont I feel that another season playing together will make our OL a little better on its own. With Losman/Evans flourishing id like to give JP more weapons. JP gains another weapon as well as giving the Bills more options in the ground game. 2 late picks with nothing but potential.

I toyed with a OG in the 2nd, and honestly I wouldnt be dissapointed if it fell that way if someone fell. However ideally i'd like to see us sign someone and develop what we have.

1. Adam Carriker, DE Nebraska
Anderson won't be there, Carriker is a high character guy who is a great team player. At 6'6 290lbs this mammoth can play anywhere along the DL and is not only a solid pass rusher but more importanly is ridiculously strong and holds up very well against the run. Even as big as he is he's very quick off the snap, and while he falls into the "high motor" category (yes he's white) he brings it every play. After hearing more and more about this kid I watched as much as I could, read up on him. I think hed be a solid pickup.
2. Brian Leonard, FB Rutgers
The "Beast" as hes called by teammates is a big rb/fb tweener. I believe him to be just what the doctor ordered for the Bills ground game. Would be perfect in short yardage/red zone situations. Is extremely athletic, has exceptional speed for his size, great hands and has no problems simply running over would be tacklers. Hes an above average but not elite blocker, but imo would be the perfect spell for RB and could develope into a fine NFL FB. Is known for his leadership and character almost as much as his ability.
3. Fred Bennett, CB South Carolina
Maybe gone by this point. Ive seen mocks with him as high as mid-low 2nd and as late as late 3rd. Has great size (6'0-6'1, 195lbs), amazing hands, and great speed. Has 7 INT's and 13 PD's in the past 2 seasons. Is widely regarded the 4th or 5th best CB in this draft.
4. Desmond Bishop, LB California
One of the Golden Bears defensive leaders, Bishops speciality is run defense. Is a sure tackler, and while he is not elite in pass coverage hes certainly above average. Has played both OLB and MLB, and at 6'1 239 has good size. Had a few monster hits in the bowl game against Texas A&M and is generally a pretty fiery competitor. Could easily be a starter after a season or two.
6. Garrett Wolfe, RB Northern Illinois
Not very big, but just ridiculous talent. All-American consideration, and a canidate for just about every award there is for offensive players including the Heisman. Averaged 6.5 yards a carry, 1712 yards and 17 touchdowns a season (over 3 seasons) and no thats not a typo. VERY instinctive runner with exceptional field vision. His size is going to drop him (5'7.5 180lbs) but is a very dangerous shifty runner. Very similar build to Maurice Jones-Drew, especially if he adds a few pounds.
7. Scott Stephenson, C Iowa
Great size (6'4 305lbs), very strong and able to get upfield to sustain blocks. Former defensive player who brings a defensive mentality to the OL.

Thoughts?

DraftBoy
02-15-2007, 07:47 AM
While I wont make any assumptions about FA, signing a LB and a CB makes this draft a lot more viable. You will then have upgraded your DL, presumably upgraded LB's, our secondary will take a step back because we wont have a shutdown calibur CB at the 1 spot anymore. At least for this season. Assuming the above happens the draft gives us a beast on the DL that can play almost anywhere, 2 youngsters that have starter potential at LB and CB.

On offense, it would be nice to get an upgrade at OG but even if we dont I feel that another season playing together will make our OL a little better on its own. With Losman/Evans flourishing id like to give JP more weapons. JP gains another weapon as well as giving the Bills more options in the ground game. 2 late picks with nothing but potential.

I toyed with a OG in the 2nd, and honestly I wouldnt be dissapointed if it fell that way if someone fell. However ideally i'd like to see us sign someone and develop what we have.

1. Adam Carriker, DE Nebraska
Anderson won't be there, Carriker is a high character guy who is a great team player. At 6'6 290lbs this mammoth can play anywhere along the DL and is not only a solid pass rusher but more importanly is ridiculously strong and holds up very well against the run. Even as big as he is he's very quick off the snap, and while he falls into the "high motor" category (yes he's white) he brings it every play. After hearing more and more about this kid I watched as much as I could, read up on him. I think hed be a solid pickup.
2. Brian Leonard, FB Rutgers
The "Beast" as hes called by teammates is a big rb/fb tweener. I believe him to be just what the doctor ordered for the Bills ground game. Would be perfect in short yardage/red zone situations. Is extremely athletic, has exceptional speed for his size, great hands and has no problems simply running over would be tacklers. Hes an above average but not elite blocker, but imo would be the perfect spell for RB and could develope into a fine NFL FB. Is known for his leadership and character almost as much as his ability.
3. Fred Bennett, CB South Carolina
Maybe gone by this point. Ive seen mocks with him as high as mid-low 2nd and as late as late 3rd. Has great size (6'0-6'1, 195lbs), amazing hands, and great speed. Has 7 INT's and 13 PD's in the past 2 seasons. Is widely regarded the 4th or 5th best CB in this draft.
4. Desmond Bishop, LB California
One of the Golden Bears defensive leaders, Bishops speciality is run defense. Is a sure tackler, and while he is not elite in pass coverage hes certainly above average. Has played both OLB and MLB, and at 6'1 239 has good size. Had a few monster hits in the bowl game against Texas A&M and is generally a pretty fiery competitor. Could easily be a starter after a season or two.
6. Garrett Wolfe, RB Northern Illinois
Not very big, but just ridiculous talent. All-American consideration, and a canidate for just about every award there is for offensive players including the Heisman. Averaged 6.5 yards a carry, 1712 yards and 17 touchdowns a season (over 3 seasons) and no thats not a typo. VERY instinctive runner with exceptional field vision. His size is going to drop him (5'7.5 180lbs) but is a very dangerous shifty runner. Very similar build to Maurice Jones-Drew, especially if he adds a few pounds.
7. Scott Stephenson, C Iowa
Great size (6'4 305lbs), very strong and able to get upfield to sustain blocks. Former defensive player who brings a defensive mentality to the OL.

Thoughts?

I think the Carriker is a good pick in the 1st however I think Leonard is going too high in the 2nd round. Bennett is a solid 3rd rounder who is good value that late. I want to see Bishop's 40 numbers at the combine but his stats look impressive. Cant argue with Wolfe in the 6th he could be dynamic, and I dont know much about Scott Stephenson, but those hogs in the Big 10 can run block.

clumping platelets
02-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Let's go with Rueben Riley from Michigan in rd 7......he's a G/T

Devin
02-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I think the Carriker is a good pick in the 1st however I think Leonard is going too high in the 2nd round. Bennett is a solid 3rd rounder who is good value that late. I want to see Bishop's 40 numbers at the combine but his stats look impressive. Cant argue with Wolfe in the 6th he could be dynamic, and I dont know much about Scott Stephenson, but those hogs in the Big 10 can run block.

The Leonard pick was actually one of my favorites not only because of the type of person/player he is but what dimension he adds to the offense. Ive been following him for a little while now, I could ee him playing a similar role to what Marion Barber did in Dallas. He's bigger then Barber and a lot more physically gifted.

Bishop was at the top of my LB group for what maybe available in the 4th. He's a little raw but just a great athlete in general. With proper coaching/experience I think he'd be a fine starter.

Scott Stephenson I admittedly havent watched a lot of, I saw a few clips while typing that up that were pretty impressive. I could see replacing Fowler after a season or tw but as with any 7th rounder there is really no telling.

DraftBoy
02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
The Leonard pick was actually one of my favorites not only because of the type of person/player he is but what dimension he adds to the offense. Ive been following him for a little while now, I could ee him playing a similar role to what Marion Barber did in Dallas. He's bigger then Barber and a lot more physically gifted.

Bishop was at the top of my LB group for what maybe available in the 4th. He's a little raw but just a great athlete in general. With proper coaching/experience I think he'd be a fine starter.

Scott Stephenson I admittedly havent watched a lot of, I saw a few clips while typing that up that were pretty impressive. I could see replacing Fowler after a season or tw but as with any 7th rounder there is really no telling.

I dont see Leonard as a Marion Barber type, Leonard may run in the high 4.5's maybe even the low 4.6's. Barber is a speedy back. I dont see Leonard being a successful RB in the NFL.

Devin
02-15-2007, 12:23 PM
I dont see Leonard as a Marion Barber type, Leonard may run in the high 4.5's maybe even the low 4.6's. Barber is a speedy back. I dont see Leonard being a successful RB in the NFL.

I didnt mean for him to be, I see him more as a FB. The reason I wrote it as rb/fb is because he would need to add a little weight. But he does have great speed for his size (has been clocked at 4.47). And anyone who has seen the "Leonard Leap" has to be a little impressed. He has pretty good hands as well.

I should have been more specific I didnt mean like Barber in the RB sense moreso like short yardage/goaline situations you know....where we sucked.

DraftBoy
02-15-2007, 02:17 PM
I didnt mean for him to be, I see him more as a FB. The reason I wrote it as rb/fb is because he would need to add a little weight. But he does have great speed for his size (has been clocked at 4.47). And anyone who has seen the "Leonard Leap" has to be a little impressed. He has pretty good hands as well.

I should have been more specific I didnt mean like Barber in the RB sense moreso like short yardage/goaline situations you know....where we sucked.

Gotcha, he could be a decent Mike Alstott type, but he needs to show that killer mentality that makes a great FB.

mysticsoto
02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately, you get good FBs or TEs when you have a great team already formed and you are looking to add finesse. We have too many holes to worry about these positions right now. Until we get a better working Oline, getting a good pass catching TE is useless - which is why I laugh at nfldraftcountdown's 2nd rd pick for us.

A good blocking FB would help our RB, but Cieszlak has done okay here which means we are likely to remain with what we have. There is no way we should be grabbing a FB player in the 2nd round when we need DL run stopping help, OG help at RG, large/fast MLB, CB and possibly better WRs.

DraftBoy
02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately, you get good FBs or TEs when you have a great team already formed and you are looking to add finesse. We have too many holes to worry about these positions right now. Until we get a better working Oline, getting a good pass catching TE is useless - which is why I laugh at nfldraftcountdown's 2nd rd pick for us.

A good blocking FB would help our RB, but Cieszlak has done okay here which means we are likely to remain with what we have. There is no way we should be grabbing a FB player in the 2nd round when we need DL run stopping help, OG help at RG, large/fast MLB, CB and possibly better WRs.

Have we actually seen Cieszlak as a FB in running situations yet? Or are we all assuming, Ive never seen him play FB in a game.

Luisito23
02-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Have we actually seen Cieszlak as a FB in running situations.

Never...But I would love to see what he got...

GO BILLS!!!!!

ZacGriffi~82
02-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I love that draft Devin. But take into account my man crush on Leonard.

Don't Panic
02-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I love that draft Devin. But take into account my man crush on Leonard.

Which is one of the most legitimate man crushes ever. I'd love to pair him with a smaller, quicker back and go with the platoon that has become popular recently. If he's there in the third, he would be hard to pass up.

Devin
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
:up:

mysticsoto
02-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Have we actually seen Cieszlak as a FB in running situations yet? Or are we all assuming, Ive never seen him play FB in a game.

I thought he did play the position toward the end of the year last year. I didn't watch him closely, but I seem to remember him being at that position. He is 6'3" and 262 lbs, so he certainly has the physical size for the position. He has very soft hands which is great also...at the very least, I'd like him to get a chance.

Dr. Lecter
02-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Ceislak took over at FB when Shelton got injured and played there extensively the last couple of games.

Luisito23
02-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Ceislak took over at FB when Shelton got injured and played there extensively the last couple of games.

Sucks not having NFL ticket...:madcurse:...

GO BILLS!!!!!!