PDA

View Full Version : When will Peerless Price be traded?

Michael82
03-01-2003, 09:20 PM
We all know that it is inevitable. So, the big question is...when will it happen? Also, what do you think we will get and who will it be with?

Michael82
03-01-2003, 09:28 PM
I think he will be traded by Friday and will go to Atlanta for their 1st round pick this year and a conditional pick next year. The pick starts as a 4th rounder, but can become as high as a 2nd rounder if he achieves certain goals.

Romes
03-01-2003, 09:28 PM
Monday or Tuesday. I voted for monday though.

RedEyE
03-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Damn, I voted for the wrong one. I see Price being traded either A) before he signs the Bills offer **before the end of next week** or B) during draft day. The longer the wait, the higher the probability of Price staying in Buffalo another year.

Novacane
03-01-2003, 10:38 PM
I don't see TD letting PP sign that offer. If he can't work out a trade with Atlanta in the next couple days he needs to pull the tag off Price before he signs that offer sheet. I say early next week and we get thier second this year and a 3rd next year

Dozerdog
03-02-2003, 09:31 AM
He's a goner. We need to promote Reed

Typ0
03-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Why is it inevitable? Can someone explain this too me please? I think there is a very good chance Price will be in a Bills uniform next season.

Michael82
03-02-2003, 11:11 AM
With what kind of a contract, Typ0? :scratch:

WG
03-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I don't see TD letting PP sign that offer. If he can't work out a trade with Atlanta in the next couple days he needs to pull the tag off Price before he signs that offer sheet. I say early next week and we get thier second this year and a 3rd next year

Interesting thread.

TD has little to do w/ Price signing that offer. The only way he could prevent it is if he heard that Price was going to and preemptively cut him off and beat him to it by removing the designation.

This whole thing is very precarious. I voted not at all, at least if the assumption was for a first rounder. I think Atlanta is the only team that would risk a first rounder for him. If that falls through, and I hope it doesn't, then I think we won't get a first rounder for him.

Where this entire thing gets precarious is as time goes on, that'll send out a message, and that message will be that Price isn't worth a first rounder. Why? Not b/c he may or may not be, but b/c there are apparently no teams that will trade a first rounder for him. I'm not hearing about any team other than Atlanta that has expressed interest in Price. Monday's news should tell the story. If Price had a "great" visit, then it'll be good. If there are any reservations whatsoever, then it won't be good. It'll mean more time, which we really can't afford if we're gonna sign a big name LB, DT, or DE, or some combination of them.

Atlanta knows they can wait out this situation for our demands to go down as well unless their GM is an idiot. They know, just as we do, that there hasn't been overwhelming interest in Price, especially not for a first rounder. So they may simply wait and see realizing that it's costing us more than it's costing them to wait it out. That's exactly what I would do if I were Atlanta's GM.

Agree w/ Dozer though, Reed's ready in spades and we definitely do not need Price. He may actually be a hindrance to us if he's gonna be demanding ala Keyshawn Johnson.

And as Typ0 says, we run a strong risk that Price will be here. If the several teams that Price may want to go to don't ante up soon, then he may race to sign that offer. If/when that happens, we'll likely be stuck w/ him, but more importantly, w/o ~ $5M of defensive help that would do worlds more for us than Price will in a dual role w/ Reed.

No shortage of excitement, good or bad, here! :)

Michael82
03-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey Wys...you keep forgetting something... :rolleyes:

We do have a plan B if he signs the offer sheet. TD can sign and trade without any cap consequences. So, therefore if Price's idiotic agent wants to play hardball and signs the offer....the Bills can call Atlanta or someone else and say "He is yours for a 2nd or a 3rd round pick." Or if they really wanna piss off Price...Call Cincy and tell them to not match our offer to Spikes and in exchange they can have Peerless Price. Once Cincy declines to match, Spikes would be ours and Price would be a Bungal! :evil:

WG
03-02-2003, 11:27 AM
IMO, if Atlanta balks at us, then I would suggest lowering our demands to a 2nd and/or 3rd, or even a 2nd this year and a 2nd next, or something else. That's where we'll see how shrewd TD is.

As to Price being worth a first rounder, Drew was a QB and several teams balked at getting him for the exact same price with only three years left and no cost to cut over the next three (now two) seasons.

So if no teams wanted to pick up Bledsoe, except for us, the only team left w/ that kind of cap money, I really fail to see how for the same price, greater risk (ie. a large signing bonus), and the same first round pick, that teams are gonna line up to sign Price. Heck, even one team. Everyone knows a decent QB is worth more than a decent WR. And Bledsoe's history is long and storied. Price's history has one good season, not even spectacular, simply very good out of four. He had only single digit TDs and had Moulds opposite him.

I'm sure these things are ringing in Reeve's ears. He's not stupid either.

justasportsfan
03-02-2003, 11:35 AM
What if Atlanta goes for a wr other than PP? Could we offer him an extension for less $$$ and if he doesn't take it, release the tag and have him test the market after everyone else is signed. We get our 5 million back. Is this possible?

That would be lowballing PP, but business is business.

WG
03-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Hey Wys...you keep forgetting something... :rolleyes:

We do have a plan B if he signs the offer sheet. TD can sign and trade without any cap consequences. So, therefore if Price's idiotic agent wants to play hardball and signs the offer....the Bills can call Atlanta or someone else and say "He is yours for a 2nd or a 3rd round pick." Or if they really wanna piss off Price...Call Cincy and tell them to not match our offer to Spikes and in exchange they can have Peerless Price. Once Cincy declines to match, Spikes would be ours and Price would be a Bungal! :evil:

Yeah, and you're forgetting something, that's as long as those teams would do that, eh. We've also been told, that that period lasts only 24 hours before Price can no longer be traded. I didn't realize that was true, but apparently it is. So any such deal would have to be accomplished w/in 24. That's not exactly the best negotiating position to be in.

If that happened and I were Atlanta, knowing what TD's position on Price is now, ie., he tagged him to trade him and had no intentions of actually having him this season, I would offer say a 3rd and maybe a 5th and if TD said no, I'd say C-YA!

Assuming that something like that happens, the big question will have been "when will it happen?" B/c if it happens too far down the road, then if what we lost out on in free agency was bigger than a third and fifth pick, then we'd have been the ones to have lost out. Last year's late 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rounders were Denney, Wire, and Bannon. Only one of those was even worth the pick and Wire's no shoe in for greatness right now either. I fully expect that he'll be very much like Ray Lynch in the future, but that's not given. Denney was a wasted 2nd and Bannan a waste overall. I don't expect Bannan to be w/ the team either next season or as early as this.

Bottom line, getting a 3rd+ pick may very well hurt us if it takes too long to acquire than simply ditching Price and going on w/ the business of filling our defensive needs. In the meantime, how much of our cap is TD gonna use to sign Posey type players who will count significantly against our cap? Posey counts $437.5K (1/4 x $1.75M SB) plus whatever his salary is for this season, presumably vet min. So he counts over $1M already. Guess w/ Price tying us up, we're down now from that $8.3M or so figure to around $7M. Two more signings like Posey and we'll be down to under $5M. ;)

Your points are valid, but they ignore what the market is going to pay Price. IDK that, but neither do you or anyone else here. We can all hope, and we're all in the same boat. I'm hoping for a first rounder, and soon, too! Heck, a first and 3rd or 4th would be great! But will we get that? I just don't see it happening. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

WG
03-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
What if Atlanta goes for a wr other than PP? Could we offer him an extension for less $$$ and if he doesn't take it, release the tag and have him test the market after everyone else is signed. We get our 5 million back. Is this possible?

That would be lowballing PP, but business is business.

Apparently TD has already offered Price/McGee our top offer of what would be around $3M/yr. Price/McGee totally balked at that and I would have too given Price's position although I think he'll end up regretting that next season depending upon where he ends up. But that doesn't exactly set the table for such a deal.

We can release the tag apparently anytime up until he signs the offer, at which time we'd have 24 hours to move him or he's ours.

Michael82
03-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Your points are valid, but they ignore what the market is going to pay Price. IDK that, but neither do you or anyone else here. We can all hope, and we're all in the same boat. I'm hoping for a first rounder, and soon, too! Heck, a first and 3rd or 4th would be great! But will we get that? I just don't see it happening. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

I hope you are proven wrong too! My checkbook is counting on it! :$:

:D

justasportsfan
03-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Apparently TD has already offered Price/McGee our top offer of what would be around $3M/yr. Price/McGee totally balked at that and I would have too given Price's position although I think he'll end up regretting that next season depending upon where he ends up. But that doesn't exactly set the table for such a deal.

We can release the tag apparently anytime up until he signs the offer, at which time we'd have 24 hours to move him or he's ours.

He balked at that offer because he knows someone (Atlanta) would offfer him more. If Atlanta fills that position and there are no other offers, release PP and take the 5 million and get us our stud defender.

Tagging Price simply gives us a chance to deal him somewhere else but if there are no takers, time to move on.