PDA

View Full Version : Jags coaching staff made a huge mistake

Coach Sal
11-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Why in the world would they squib kick the last kickoff?

It enabled the Bills to start at their own 40.

Scobee had three touchbacks before that (including one into the wind), and even when McGee got a chance at a return, they stuffed him.

Another case of outcoaching yourself. Squib kicks are OK in that situation, but only when there is time for maybe one play. If they had just trustd their kicker and coverage team, the game would have probably went into OT, because I seriously doubt the Bills would have taken any chances pinned at or inside their own 20.

don137
11-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Never been a fan of Del Rio as a coach. He seems cocky like Gregg Williams...I agree with you completely especially with Scobee and his long kicks...

Historian
11-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Scobee put two of them through the end zone, towards the tunnel, with the wind at his back.

One ball went into the stands and brushed right past Mikey.

The squb was a terrible call.

LtBillsFan66
11-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Does the squib ever work?

Ebenezer
11-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Del Rio and DJ were both out coaching themselves...

1. The squib kick
2. Jax going away from the run in the 2nd half
3. Bills going to halftime with 1:11 on the clock and 3 time outs

and there are a couple of others that we saw yesterday that I can't remember right now.

PromoTheRobot
11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Obviously you never got the memo on JP Losman...the guy can't throw the ball under pressure. Right, Coach Del Rio? :D

PTR

Why in the world would they squib kick the last kickoff?

It enabled the Bills to start at their own 40.

Scobee had three touchbacks before that (including one into the wind), and even when McGee got a chance at a return, they stuffed him.

Another case of outcoaching yourself. Squib kicks are OK in that situation, but only when there is time for maybe one play. If they had just trustd their kicker and coverage team, the game would have probably went into OT, because I seriously doubt the Bills would have taken any chances pinned at or inside their own 20.

Mr. Miyagi
11-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Obviously you never got the memo on JP Losman...the guy can't throw the ball under pressure. Right, Coach Del Rio? :D

PTR
He's a top-quoter! :negrep:

DynaPaul
11-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Is he related in any way to Vanessa Del Rio?

TigerJ
11-27-2006, 04:34 PM
He was obviously afraid of Terrence McGee. Chickes are losers.

G. Host
11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Being burnt on a punt return I could see why they did not want to get burnt on a kick return especially when we needed only a FG to win. Bills offense also was not playing that well and they figured we would have a 3 and out.

STAMPY
11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Del Rio is actually my favorite coach in nfl

Goobylal
11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
They were kicking into a stiff wind and didn't want a kick with a lot of hangtime in the air being fielded by McGee. The times Scobee got touchbacks, they had the wind at their backs. Hence the squib AWAY from McGee, but the play was designed by April to allow the ball to bounce until a guy close to McGee could field it and toss it to him, like what happened. Great coaching on the Bills' part and in hindsight a bad decision by the Jags, but probably wouldn't have made much difference.