X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Judge
    • Aug 2002

Why the demand for a "big name" FA?

I don't understand why there's a demand out there that TD sign a "big name" FA to show that he's serious and successful this offseason.

"big name" FA's don't necessarily guarantee improvement on a team. I'd rather see TD address the needs of the team in a way that improves the team with value players rather than break the bank for 1 big splash.

Would Takeo Spikes help? Of Course. But I think passing on him and signing Posey (I think the cap hit is only 1.1 mil next season) and 3 or 4 other guys for the type of cap hit Spikes might have would be a far better way to go.
    Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!
  • Lone Stranger
    • Sep 2002

Your reasoning is sound. There are a few other factors. Next year TD will have to deal with players whose contracts have expired and as he adds to the quality of the players contracts will have to be updated regularly. It makes no sense to over-commit at this point and only have a recurrence of cap-jail.

Further it seems that TD would rather bring in a bunch of mid-level players to see who best fits into our systems. Then, as he has with Bill Jenkins, he can weed out the ineffective.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Perhaps, but the stand out players can make a huge difference in a game. The best defenses are built around a couple of key players usually. I don't think we have one player on our defense that can take over a game. We have a couple above average players but no one has shown they can rise up and make that winning difference in a game.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

I don't agree with that at all fmr. A bunch of mid-level players is going to equal a mid-level defense. If you truly have a desire to win the SB that is not acceptable.

Comment

• TypicalBill
          • Sep 2002

im with Typ0 on this one, this team needs a playmaker on defense, a player that forces turnovers and becomes a leader for the defense.
          Im not saying we should break the bank on 3 or 4 superstar players, but we need one big play FA to help us out. We certainly have the cap room to do that. Otherwise, why were we happy to know that we were 13mil under the cap before the offseason? certainly not because we'd have the ability to sign many mid-level players IMO
          For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

I'm also with Typ0. You need a couple of real solid players on both sides of the ball. Solid players are the type of players are keyed on by the oppsotition but still makes plays (i.e. Ted Washington, Bruce Smith). This frees up the role players to become more effective.Your only as good as the players around you and if you have a couple of difference makers it gets contagious an then the mediocre players elevate their game and they start making plays.

Comment

• BFBills
              "That will be Nate Clements third Pic of the day!"
              • Oct 2002

and of course the ticket part
              "BillsZone.com some of the most uhhhh....some of the smartest football talkers I've ever ever talked to"...Voltron...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              MIKE IS NICE!!!!!!!!!!!MIKE IS NICE!!!!!MIKE IS NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

Bull$**** to needing a few BIG name players. Name me N.E.'s big name players on there D when they won the SB. How about T.B., I know you are going to says W. Sapp, I will take P. Williams anyday, check out stats. (keep in mind the Players around him), Which is my next point. When T.B. signed most of their FA's they weren't big names. They grew together and became GREAT! We had BIG names during our SB run and didn't win, because they were me palyers. If you want to talk about BIG anme players, let's look at Oakland's Defense this year, Did they win the SB, NO! Get me players that put TEAM first, not ME first and let's go win a SB.
                Retired Air Traffic Controller
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Ummm...NE has one thing we don't...a master defensive planner. GW can't even hold Belichek's jock when it comes to defensive scheming. Belichek's strength is using the players he has and capitolizing on their strengths. GW's strength is instituting a system that shows the weakness in it's players.

Don't forget, NE has/had some of the best CB's in the NFL and a LB corp that wasn't too shabby either (even if they were no-names).

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

TB:

Dexter Jackson
                    Derrick Brooks
                    Simeon Rice
                    Warren Sapp

NE:

Lawyer Malloy
                    Tebucky Jones
                    Ty Law

Baltimore:

Ray Lewis (a whole team by himself)
                    Sam Adams
                    Rod Woodson

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

None of those guys are no-names and we don't have one player that is in their league nor are we going to get a medicro player that is. Get with it man TB defense was stacked last season.

Comment

• kgun12
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                        TB:

Dexter Jackson
                        Derrick Brooks
                        Simeon Rice
                        Warren Sapp

NE:

Lawyer Malloy
                        Tebucky Jones
                        Ty Law

Baltimore:

Ray Lewis (a whole team by himself)
                        Sam Adams
                        Rod Woodson
                        Your right, now these guys are all big names, but other than Sapp how many were before they played with there SB teams Really! Look at Tb, none of these guys did anything without there collective group on other teams.
                        I will put Clemons
                        and Winfield against Malloy and Law, and Wire will be better than Jones ever thought of being.
                        Knowone even heard of Adams before he won the SB, remember who was next to him, Saragosa. How well did he do this year in comparison to his days in Baltimore. I will give you Lewis, and Woodson than.

All I know is last years off-season ended up very good by the time the season started without much money. I'll wait to the end of this off season before I panic. I just don't think we need big name player pick ups to be better. They usually don't help the team that gets him as much as they hurt the team that loses him.
                        USAF VETERAN
                        DAV

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

KGun , what would you do with the extra $$$ we save if we don't get stud D?
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• kgun12
                            • Jul 2002

All I'm saying is you guys are panicing, and FA isn't even 4 days old.
                            I said it in my "Don't be disappointed thread" how TD would go about FA, cause I new that there would be threads like this.
                            Now to answer your qeustion JSF, I would rather fill as many holes a possible with quality players rather than a BIG name just because he's a big name.

Now let me ask you a question, What BIG names do you want in here.
                            USAF VETERAN
                            DAV

Comment

• venis2k1
                              Youboty can hope
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kgun12
                              Now let me ask you a question, What BIG names do you want in here.
                              Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, now thats a big name.

Comment

Working...
                              X