PDA

View Full Version : Is something wrong w/ Dave Moore?

Judge
03-02-2003, 06:15 AM
I'm wondering why TD traded for the TE from Cleveland right after cutting Riemersma. I heard the TE's strength is blocking.

Isn't Dave Moore's strength his ability to contribute to run blocking as well as have some reliability in the passing game? I am interested in why the Bills sought another TE so quickly, when Moore appeared to me at least tobe ready to be the every down TE in this offense.

Depth? A late round draft pick for the rookie minimum would do the trick.

Typ0
03-02-2003, 06:40 AM
Because we couldn't block a damn fly last season and we need all the help we can get. I'm sure TD already had the deal with Cleveland worked out when he cut Riemersma -- he knew how he was going to be replaced. We need to get Travis rolling and keep Bledsoe off the turf so much next season and this is going to help. Sure, we are trading off some reception capabilities at TE but I think this is indication TD is going to try and keep Price instead of moving him. With Price and Moulds on the field and getting Henry more involved in the passing game that is a lot of passing power right there. We can do without Riemersma and Centers IMO.

Ð
03-02-2003, 07:07 AM
I'd say we're going to see a very interesting offense next year.
Smashmouth with TH running wild and once we've tired the D out, Drew & Co. will put the nail in the coffin for opposing D's.

The Big Daddy
03-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Nothing is wrong with Moore. he's healthy and ready to go.
They signed this guy because you need 2 TE's to be successful especially in the running game. He can catch a little bit and can block better than Reimersma by accident.
He's got NFL experience as a starter. Anyone who thinks you can just sign a scrub FA or draft a guy to step into the # 2 role isn't thinking very clearly.

The_Philster
03-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Nothing's wrong with Dave Moore.....we brought in Campbell for depth.

justasportsfan
03-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Red zone offense. Big target.

HenryRules
03-02-2003, 10:18 AM
From what I heard, we didn't really give up anything more than a late-round pick in next year's draft ... and I don't know what Campbell's salary is, but I think its very close to the vet. min ... so I think the Campbell trade is very close to what you proposed to do for depth at TE.

Dozerdog
03-02-2003, 10:33 AM
From what I have seen, it could be as high as a 4th as low as a 6th. Depends on performance.

Plus, remember what Ingtar said, In GM's minds when dealing for future picks, a 5th round pick in this season's draft = a 6th in next year's draft.

Kelly The Dog
03-02-2003, 10:58 AM
The pick is a 7th rounder next year, and could go all the way up to a 6th rounder next year depending on performance. That is nothing. It's from the Buff News or D&C story. We only had two TE's on the roster. This was a no brainer, and just about what we need. We now have a veteran reliable starter. I speedy pass catching project on the rise in Brady McDonnell, and a reliable if limited vet #2 in Campbell who is a capable bocker in a two TE set with great hands and height for the red zone and first downs, which is where we will use him the most. The Browns liked him, but he has weaknesses like limited speed that they didnt have the need for because they had three TEs already without him. He also costs the minimum as he was undrafted. I would not completely rule out a TE drafted because TD will take the best player. But Campbell is a typical TD move. He has a bird in the hand now that he can live with comfortably and can now go on to get the bigger fish.

WG
03-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Campbell was a good pickup. He'll be depth Judge. If you think about it, Drew used primarily two WRs last year and a third only sparingly given the # of passes thrown. JR and Moore combined caught only 3 passes/game, paltry given our over 40 attempts.

So the TEs were not a huge part of the passing game last year. Moore will be the starter barring some other TE signing. But we had no one after Moore for depth. No one w/ any experience that is. I like Campbell's signing. It's one thing we needed that we no longer have to worry about. He can block, which is needed either way, whether we run the ball more like we say we're gonna do or whether we pass just the same w/ the TEs not being an active part of the passing game.

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
The pick is a 7th rounder next year, and could go all the way up to a 6th rounder next year depending on performance. That is nothing. It's from the Buff News or D&C story. We only had two TE's on the roster. This was a no brainer, and just about what we need. We now have a veteran reliable starter. I speedy pass catching project on the rise in Brady McDonnell, and a reliable if limited vet #2 in Campbell who is a capable bocker in a two TE set with great hands and height for the red zone and first downs, which is where we will use him the most. The Browns liked him, but he has weaknesses like limited speed that they didnt have the need for because they had three TEs already without him. He also costs the minimum as he was undrafted. I would not completely rule out a TE drafted because TD will take the best player. But Campbell is a typical TD move. He has a bird in the hand now that he can live with comfortably and can now go on to get the bigger fish.

Very nicely summed up Kelly!!!

clumping platelets
03-02-2003, 12:23 PM
I think that a TE will be drafted early :ontome:

Remember, Dave Moore is gonna be 32 or 33.

I like Jason Witten from Tennessee :up:

Dozerdog
03-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Our goaline run offense could have been better. I think a lot of the :huh: that went into our playcalling inside the 5 was a result in our inability (or lack of confidence) in our running game.

Beefing the TE position up should help. Is he a special tam's player?

Posey was a pretty good ST player earlier in his career with the 49ers - led the teram in ST tackles one season. Maybe these second tier starters might get some ST time as well

WG
03-03-2003, 09:58 AM
I sure hope we didn't pay him $6.4M to play STs this year in particular.