X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Michael Irvin - racist?

ESPN broadcaster Michael Irvin apologized on Monday for comments last week which said that Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo's athletic ability must be the result of an African-American heritage.

"I do want to apologize for those comments," Irvin said on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio. It was on the Patrick show last week that Irvin made the comments on Romo's athleticism.

"They were inappropriate and insensitive. My whole thing, what I always try to do, is give people a first-hand knowledge of what it's like in the locker room and how we as players joke around with one another.

"This is how I joke around with Romo when we're playing basketball … certainly, there's a difference from me the player and me the broadcaster. We may joke around like that in the locker room, and I'm trying to bring them in the locker room.

"I certainly have to know where to draw the line and certainly I needed to draw the line last week and I did not, so I apologize for that."
    Irvin told Patrick he was joking. He said the same thing in an interview with USA Today.

"I was joking, as you could tell, saying it then," Irvin said. "I've read it, and when it's been written, it comes off in a different tone. Certainly, we were joking there ... the last thing I want to do is offend anybody."
    "Generalizations about heritage are inappropriate even in jest, and what Michael said was wrong," ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys told USA Today. "We have spoken to Michael about it."

ESPN broadcaster Michael Irvin apologized on Monday for comments last week which said that Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo's athletic ability must be the result of an African-American heritage.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Michael Irvin - racist?

Who cares? I thought ROMO was white?

Comment

• JoeMama
      Emotion Sickness
      • Oct 2002

I don't have a problem with it.

It's obvious Michael Irvin was joking around.

Jokes that make reference to race don't immediately constitute racism. It strikes me as kind of a kneejerk reaction to place it under the context that it's somehow racist.

There's something bizarre about the desire to make an issue out of something this trivial.

The most severe reaction a story like this is going to elicit from the public either is feigned outrage by some, or mild annoyance that it's even an issue by the rest of us.
      Last edited by JoeMama; 11-27-2006, 03:47 PM.
      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• scott51
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        Who cares? I thought ROMO was white?
        He is, don't remember exact comment, but basically Michael Irvin said that Tony is so athletic because one of his ancestors had a "fling" with a slave, really so ridiculous that I can't believe anyone would actually take it seriously!
        Go Bills!
        Go Sabres!

JP Losman, your time is up!

2007 Standings:
        Buffalo Bills 7-9
        New England Patriots 18-1*

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

Romo is a ******!?!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

HE"S A *********!!

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

People need to lighten up.
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• scott51
                • Oct 2006

This is from www.profootballtalk.com

7. Michael Irvin Pulls A Michael Richards.
                Okay, folks. We're officially confused about this whole racism thing.
                We get the part that calls for white guys to be severely punished and/or fired if they make bigoted, ignorant statements. Al Campanis, Rush Limbaugh, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.
                And the latest chapter in this history of racial prejudice comes courtesy of Michael Richards, whom most people know not as "Michael Richards" but as Cosmo Kramer, the hilarious hipster doofis who lived across the hall from Jerry Seinfeld.
                Each made unfortunate statements, and each paid the price.
                The best example for present purposes is Snyder, who once quipped (while possibly half in the bag) that blacks are better at sports than whites due to the selective breeding practices of slave owners.
                In each case, we agree with the outcry that ensued, although we still think Limbaugh's punishment resulted more from his right-wing beliefs than from the actual content of his comments.
                But what of the African-American public figure who makes comments just as idiotic, and arguably as blatantly racist? Why is a pass granted in this regard?
                The most recent incident? ESPN's Michael Irvin. Appearing Monday on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show, Irvin pulled a Jimmy "The Greek" when suggesting that one possible explanation for Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's strong performance is that one of his ancestors got it on with one of those big man slaves to which Snyder referred nearly 20 years ago.
                Said Irvin of Romo: "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know . . . some brother down in that line somewhere. . . . I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."
                Recognizing the idiocy of Irvin's comments, Dan Patrick said, "Oh, that's the only way he can be a great athlete?"
                "That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin said. "If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second,' you know, and they go out and work in the yard. You know, back in the day."
                Irvin likely would claim that he was joking, if the standard that has been applied to white men who have made similar comments were also applied to the Playmaker. He was, after all, laughing through some of his comments.
                Go Bills!
                Go Sabres!

JP Losman, your time is up!

2007 Standings:
                Buffalo Bills 7-9
                New England Patriots 18-1*

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

He didn't say it in a hurtful or insulting way, I wish more people could joke around about race in a manner like this. I think its much different than flat out calling somebody a ****** or a cracker. I'm sure Mike didn't mean to upset anybody in this way.

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                    • Jul 2002

What exactly does a cracker have to do with being caucasian?

Comment

• JoeMama
                      Emotion Sickness
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                      He didn't say it in a hurtful or insulting way, I wish more people could joke around about race in a manner like this. I think its much different than flat out calling somebody a ****** or a cracker. I'm sure Mike didn't mean to upset anybody in this way.
                      I'd even go so far to say that being able to joke in that fashion is a healthy sign that race relations are headed in the right direction.

I just don't see how this story could generate any kind of outrage whatsoever.
                      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by JoeMama
                        I'd even go so far to say that being able to joke in that fashion is a healthy sign that race relations are headed in the right direction.

I just don't see how this story could generate any kind of outrage whatsoever.
                        I agree. Stories like these can make our society, a little too politically correct for my taste. There is a fine line between racism and humor, and Mike obviously didn't cross it here.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                          Sab and TD are insignificant
                          • Sep 2002

I can care less - Michael Irvin is like the most insignificant person on NFL Countdown...

They need to replace him with another linebacker - one like Romanowski.
                          www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                            Sab and TD are insignificant
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama
                            I don't have a problem with it.

It's obvious Michael Irvin was joking around.

Jokes that make reference to race don't immediately constitute racism. It strikes me as kind of a kneejerk reaction to place it under the context that it's somehow racist.

There's something bizarre about the desire to make an issue out of something this trivial.

The most severe reaction a story like this is going to elicit from the public either is feigned outrage by some, or mild annoyance that it's even an issue by the rest of us.
                            The only thing that pisses me off about this is the Rush Limbaugh controvercy - all Rush Limbaugh said was that the media was all over McNabb's nuts because he was a black quarterback... - in truth, McNabb isn't a top 5 QB IMO - he barely cracks top 10 like 2 years ago.

I think ESPN should 'suspend' him for like 2 weeks.
                            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• DynaPaul
                              • Sep 2003

He should be fired. This gives ESPN a good excuse. I personally find crack smoking, cocaine sniffing Irvin quite annoying... Plus, he's a former Cowboy.

Comment

Working...
                              X