PDA

View Full Version : Michael Irvin - racist?

Gunzlingr
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
ESPN broadcaster Michael Irvin apologized on Monday for comments last week which said that Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo's athletic ability must be the result of an African-American heritage.

"I do want to apologize for those comments," Irvin said on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio. It was on the Patrick show last week that Irvin made the comments on Romo's athleticism.

"They were inappropriate and insensitive. My whole thing, what I always try to do, is give people a first-hand knowledge of what it's like in the locker room and how we as players joke around with one another.

"This is how I joke around with Romo when we're playing basketball … certainly, there's a difference from me the player and me the broadcaster. We may joke around like that in the locker room, and I'm trying to bring them in the locker room.

"I certainly have to know where to draw the line and certainly I needed to draw the line last week and I did not, so I apologize for that."
Irvin told Patrick he was joking. He said the same thing in an interview with USA Today.

"I was joking, as you could tell, saying it then," Irvin said. "I've read it, and when it's been written, it comes off in a different tone. Certainly, we were joking there ... the last thing I want to do is offend anybody."
"Generalizations about heritage are inappropriate even in jest, and what Michael said was wrong," ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys told USA Today. "We have spoken to Michael about it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2677581&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

THATHURMANATOR
11-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Who cares? I thought ROMO was white?

JoeMama
11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't have a problem with it.

It's obvious Michael Irvin was joking around.

Jokes that make reference to race don't immediately constitute racism. It strikes me as kind of a kneejerk reaction to place it under the context that it's somehow racist.

There's something bizarre about the desire to make an issue out of something this trivial.

The most severe reaction a story like this is going to elicit from the public either is feigned outrage by some, or mild annoyance that it's even an issue by the rest of us.

scott51
11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Who cares? I thought ROMO was white?

He is, don't remember exact comment, but basically Michael Irvin said that Tony is so athletic because one of his ancestors had a "fling" with a slave, really so ridiculous that I can't believe anyone would actually take it seriously!

LtBillsFan66
11-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Romo is a ******!?!

Earthquake Enyart
11-27-2006, 03:29 PM
HE"S A *********!!

http://www.leedberg.com/seinfeld/kramer/kramer.jpg

Devin
11-27-2006, 03:29 PM
People need to lighten up.

scott51
11-27-2006, 03:33 PM
This is from www.profootballtalk.com

7. Michael Irvin Pulls A Michael Richards.
Okay, folks. We're officially confused about this whole racism thing.
We get the part that calls for white guys to be severely punished and/or fired if they make bigoted, ignorant statements. Al Campanis, Rush Limbaugh, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.
And the latest chapter in this history of racial prejudice comes courtesy of Michael Richards, whom most people know not as "Michael Richards" but as Cosmo Kramer, the hilarious hipster doofis who lived across the hall from Jerry Seinfeld.
Each made unfortunate statements, and each paid the price.
The best example for present purposes is Snyder, who once quipped (while possibly half in the bag) that blacks are better at sports than whites due to the selective breeding practices of slave owners.
In each case, we agree with the outcry that ensued, although we still think Limbaugh's punishment resulted more from his right-wing beliefs than from the actual content of his comments.
But what of the African-American public figure who makes comments just as idiotic, and arguably as blatantly racist? Why is a pass granted in this regard?
The most recent incident? ESPN's Michael Irvin. Appearing Monday on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show, Irvin pulled a Jimmy "The Greek" when suggesting that one possible explanation for Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's strong performance is that one of his ancestors got it on with one of those big man slaves to which Snyder referred nearly 20 years ago.
Said Irvin of Romo: "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know . . . some brother down in that line somewhere. . . . I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."
Recognizing the idiocy of Irvin's comments, Dan Patrick said, "Oh, that's the only way he can be a great athlete?"
"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin said. "If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second,' you know, and they go out and work in the yard. You know, back in the day."
Irvin likely would claim that he was joking, if the standard that has been applied to white men who have made similar comments were also applied to the Playmaker. He was, after all, laughing through some of his comments.

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2006, 03:41 PM
He didn't say it in a hurtful or insulting way, I wish more people could joke around about race in a manner like this. I think its much different than flat out calling somebody a ****** or a cracker. I'm sure Mike didn't mean to upset anybody in this way.

NC-BILLS44
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
What exactly does a cracker have to do with being caucasian?

JoeMama
11-27-2006, 03:49 PM
He didn't say it in a hurtful or insulting way, I wish more people could joke around about race in a manner like this. I think its much different than flat out calling somebody a ****** or a cracker. I'm sure Mike didn't mean to upset anybody in this way.

I'd even go so far to say that being able to joke in that fashion is a healthy sign that race relations are headed in the right direction.

I just don't see how this story could generate any kind of outrage whatsoever.

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2006, 03:55 PM
I'd even go so far to say that being able to joke in that fashion is a healthy sign that race relations are headed in the right direction.

I agree. Stories like these can make our society, a little too politically correct for my taste. There is a fine line between racism and humor, and Mike obviously didn't cross it here. :idunno:

ublinkwescore
11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I can care less - Michael Irvin is like the most insignificant person on NFL Countdown...

They need to replace him with another linebacker - one like Romanowski.

ublinkwescore
11-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't have a problem with it.

It's obvious Michael Irvin was joking around.

Jokes that make reference to race don't immediately constitute racism. It strikes me as kind of a kneejerk reaction to place it under the context that it's somehow racist.

There's something bizarre about the desire to make an issue out of something this trivial.

The most severe reaction a story like this is going to elicit from the public either is feigned outrage by some, or mild annoyance that it's even an issue by the rest of us.

The only thing that pisses me off about this is the Rush Limbaugh controvercy - all Rush Limbaugh said was that the media was all over McNabb's nuts because he was a black quarterback... - in truth, McNabb isn't a top 5 QB IMO - he barely cracks top 10 like 2 years ago.

I think ESPN should 'suspend' him for like 2 weeks.

DynaPaul
11-27-2006, 04:03 PM
He should be fired. This gives ESPN a good excuse. I personally find crack smoking, cocaine sniffing Irvin quite annoying... Plus, he's a former Cowboy.

ublinkwescore
11-27-2006, 04:05 PM

I see it differently - since Tom Jackson had to put up a big stink over Rush Limbaugh's calling the media out simply for glorifying a black quarterback...

can you say double standard.

Mitchy moo
11-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I feel racially hurt and I am going to call Dan quayle.

kinigirly
11-27-2006, 04:06 PM
oh who cares everyone here says inappropriate things all the time. he gets chastised cause he's famous

ublinkwescore
11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
oh who cares everyone here says inappropriate things all the time. he gets chastised cause he's famous

I just want to see him face some kind of discipline for it because it's no worse than what Limbaugh said about McNabb - Limbaugh was fired - I don't miss Limbaugh - in fact, I wonder what the hell ESPN was thinking hiring him in the first place... point is, you can't fire one for something said involving race that catches national attention and let the next person screwing up in the same way get off scott-free.

Maybe I'll go on there and ask why can't black people play hockey?

Mitchy moo
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
If Michael Richards was black, those guys would of laughed their ***es off but he is now insensitive and a outcast. Alex, Double jeopardy please.

kinigirly
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
its not like he said...that cracker must have some african american in him. i dunno i'm not easily offended so i don't think much of it

Mitchy moo
11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
its not like he said...that cracker must have some african american in him. i dunno i'm not easily offended so i don't think much of it

Just noticed this: Peekaboo! I wanna hump you. WTF is that?? I am taking offense.............. No wait a minute it's cool.

kinigirly
11-27-2006, 04:14 PM
tracy morgan said it in a movie. when tracy morgan says "peekaboo i wanna hump you!" with jeri curls and thick glasses i laugh

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2006, 06:02 PM

While its true we all say inappropriate things, if you are involved with the media, you better not say things you shouldn't. That is a very bad excuse kg. On the other hand, I'm not offended by this comment, nor does it seem like anybody else is. It was pretty cheap humor though, but then again, when does Michael Irvin say anything funny? The only thing funny about Michael Irvin, is watching him make an ass out of himself on tv each week.

Valerie
11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Who cares? Just look at the source, joking or not. Michael Irving is an ass. And this is coming from a Cowboys fan.

LtBillsFan66
11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Not true. I never say inappropriate things.

ublinkwescore
11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah... me neither.

kinigirly
11-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Not true. I never say inappropriate things.

no no....oh i know, i was thinking of phil wasn't i?

LtBillsFan66
11-27-2006, 06:11 PM
no no....oh i know, i was thinking of phil wasn't i?
Probably.

Mr. Cynical
11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
This is from www.profootballtalk.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com)

7. Michael Irvin Pulls A Michael Richards.
Okay, folks. We're officially confused about this whole racism thing.
We get the part that calls for white guys to be severely punished and/or fired if they make bigoted, ignorant statements. Al Campanis, Rush Limbaugh, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.
And the latest chapter in this history of racial prejudice comes courtesy of Michael Richards, whom most people know not as "Michael Richards" but as Cosmo Kramer, the hilarious hipster doofis who lived across the hall from Jerry Seinfeld.
Each made unfortunate statements, and each paid the price.
The best example for present purposes is Snyder, who once quipped (while possibly half in the bag) that blacks are better at sports than whites due to the selective breeding practices of slave owners.
In each case, we agree with the outcry that ensued, although we still think Limbaugh's punishment resulted more from his right-wing beliefs than from the actual content of his comments.
But what of the African-American public figure who makes comments just as idiotic, and arguably as blatantly racist? Why is a pass granted in this regard?
The most recent incident? ESPN's Michael Irvin. Appearing Monday on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show, Irvin pulled a Jimmy "The Greek" when suggesting that one possible explanation for Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's strong performance is that one of his ancestors got it on with one of those big man slaves to which Snyder referred nearly 20 years ago.
Said Irvin of Romo: "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know . . . some brother down in that line somewhere. . . . I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."
Recognizing the idiocy of Irvin's comments, Dan Patrick said, "Oh, that's the only way he can be a great athlete?"
"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin said. "If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second,' you know, and they go out and work in the yard. You know, back in the day."
Irvin likely would claim that he was joking, if the standard that has been applied to white men who have made similar comments were also applied to the Playmaker. He was, after all, laughing through some of his comments.

I totally agree. The double standard is BS. Either everyone needs to lighten up or everyone needs to pay the same price.

BillsNick
11-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Guys, guys, guys! Relax, it's ok, he's black.

Billz_fan
11-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I went to the ESPN website and sent them a rather strongly worded e-mail on the subject of there allowance of double standards when it comes to racial issues.

Turn the situation around and a white man would have been fired by now along with his public apology.

I am against racial remarks by anyone. Not just white to African American. A double standard is not alowable either.

We seem to be in the midst of a huge double standard these days.

Bmax
11-27-2006, 10:01 PM
kRAMER VS IRVIN IN A STEEL CAGE MATCH AT Wrestlemania......They yell racial ephiets at each other then they let the crowd pummel them with tomatoes..

Bmax..

I don't think either one is a racist .. Just idiots....

MikeInRoch
11-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Irvin would take him. He'd just coke up before the match.

Scumbag College
11-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Michael Irvin will be able to go on and ruin pregame shows for years and years. Jimmy The Greek got run out of town twenty years ago for a VERY similar comment. There is a definate double standard here, and if Steve Young or Chris Berman said this, they'd have to clean out their desks before the end of the day.

gr8slayer
11-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Irvin is a homo.

SabreEleven
11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Jimmy the Greek was right.

ublinkwescore
11-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Irvin would take him. He'd just coke up before the match.

You think there's a such thing as a comedian who doesn't binge on Coke?

Coke is like Hollywood's favorite drug.

ublinkwescore
11-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Jimmy the Greek was right.

Who the hell is Jimmy the Greek?

I remember Limbaugh...

What did the Greek say?

LtFinFan66
11-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Celebrity boxing

Michael Irvin VS. Michael Richards (just for the hell of it)

Tatonka
11-28-2006, 01:28 AM
if dan patrick said it.. laughing or not.. he gets fired.. because irving is black.. it is a joke.. horse****.

hurls
11-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Dub-dub-dub, I say Double standard. Michael Irvin, Michael Richards, what's the difference?

SabreEleven
11-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Who the hell is Jimmy the Greek?

I remember Limbaugh...

What did the Greek say?

He was before your time

JoeMama
11-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Just to clarify, I think Michael Irvin is a suck-ass commentator.

He has the mannerisms of a coke-head even as part of his on-screen persona.

If you watch him closely, he's always invading the other commentators' personal space & has an annoying habit of getting way too touchy-feely.

Which makes me socially awkward watching it from my living room even though they're in a studio 500 miles away.

Seriously, Michael Irvin should keep the blow outside the studio.

Still, the people who are upset about his comments need to stop being such victimhood-embracing crybabies. The black guy/white guy jokes are cliche' & boring. There's nothing edgy or offensive about them. The entire issue is completely overwrought.

Besides, the real crime Michael Irvin is guilty of is falling under the misguided impression that antiquated, cliche' humor is still funny.

gr8slayer
11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
So he doesnt get fired for this but Limbaugh got fired for saying that America wants to see a Black QB win an SB? Little reverse racism?

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 05:24 PM
So he doesnt get fired for this but Limbaugh got fired for saying that America wants to see a Black QB win an SB? Little reverse racism?

I didn't look at it like that, but you have a good point. Why is it the white man gets fired for cheap humor, yet the black dude gets to keep his job because he is a brother.

HHURRICANE
11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
I didn't look at it like that, but you have a good point. Why is it the white man gets fired for cheap humor, yet the black dude gets to keep his job because he is a brother.

As far as I am concerned these are all the growing pains of a country that is finally starting to get past race as an issue. I live in Atlanta and I am proud to say that my 11 and 13 year old don't know the difference between black and white.

As a white person I do think that Irvin's comments probably should have cost him his job. Take the race out of it completely and I don't want anybody talking about who my relatives had sex with.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 08:39 PM
As far as I am concerned these are all the growing pains of a country that is finally starting to get past race as an issue. I live in Atlanta and I am proud to say that my 11 and 13 year old don't know the difference between black and white.

As a white person I do think that Irvin's comments probably should have cost him his job. Take the race out of it completely and I don't want anybody talking about who my relatives had sex with.

Same here dude. While I spent some of my childhood in Buffalo, most of it was spent in Virgina, in Fairfax than Washington DC. Race wasn't as big of an issue down there, I had some really quality black friends. Don't get me wrong, there were times when there was tension, but nothing like the racial tension I feel up North. I'm not sure what it is.

As a white person I do think that Irvin's comments probably should have cost him his job.

I don't think it should cost Irvin his job, but I just hope that when a white guy says a bad joke like this, people take the same standard to him that we are taking with Irvin.

Bling
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
but nothing like the racial tension I feel up North. I'm not sure what it is.

That's not the first time I've heard this. That's interesting.

I don't think it should cost Irvin his job, but I just hope that when a white guy says a bad joke like this, people take the same standard to him that we are taking with Irvin.

Just set standards, and hold everyone to them.

feelthepain
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM

Neither did Jimmy "The Greek". What he said was a compliment to black athletes. Yet somehow when someone other then Black people make a racist comment, it gets people fired. But when Black people do it, all thats needed is an apology. I'm tired of the excuses, if everyone is to be treated equal, then everyone should be treated equal. I don't care that M.Irvin made the comment that he made, it didn't hurt my feelings, nor was it a big deal IMO. I do care that it's nothing more then an "I'm Sorry" for a black man and a "Find another Job, you're no longer welcome here" for everyone else. Could someone remind me who the minority is again???

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Neither did Jimmy "The Greek". What he said was a compliment to black athletes. Yet somehow when someone other then Black people make a racist comment, it gets people fired. But when Black people do it, all thats needed is an apology. I'm tired of the excuses, if everyone is to be treated equal, then everyone should be treated equal. I don't care that M.Irvin made the comment that he made, it didn't hurt my feelings, nor was it a big deal IMO. I do care that it's nothing more then an "I'm Sorry" for a black man and a "Find another Job, you're no longer welcome here" for everyone else. Could someone remind me who the minority is again???

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. However, wasn't Jimmy "The Greek" fired in the 70's? Times have changed alot since then.. But you do have a legit point, and I feel the same way. The double standard is bull****.

feelthepain
11-28-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. However, wasn't Jimmy "The Greek" fired in the 70's? Times have changed alot since then.. But you do have a legit point, and I feel the same way. The double standard is bull****.

Well it wasn't the 70's, but that's not the point. Doulble standards are bull****, I'm tired of seeing it. M.Irvin gets busted for having a crack pipe in his posession and everyone with an ouce of sense knows who it belongs to, but heck it doesn't matter lets just move on. Now he's making comments like this and getting off easy. It's almost like if you're black you can Kill two white people and get away with it, then turn around and write a book " If I had done it"..... and make Millions on it while using someone elses name to collect the Big check to avoid paying the victims familiy the Millions which you owe because you lost a civil case by a land slide. It's getting to the point where color only matters if you're white or close to white.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Well it wasn't the 70's, but that's not the point. Doulble standards are bull****, I'm tired of seeing it. M.Irvin gets busted for having a crack pipe in his posession and everyone with an ouce of sense knows who it belongs to, but heck it doesn't matter lets just move on. Now he's making comments like this and getting off easy. It's almost like if you're black you can Kill two white people and get away with it, then turn around and write a book " If I had done it"..... and make Millions on it while using someone elses name to collect the Big check to avoid paying the victims familiy the Millions which you owe because you lost a civil case by a land slide. It's getting to the point where color only matters if you're white or close to white.

Don't disagree with any of that either. The race card is really getting old. You may wan't to post something about this in the Political zone, I'm sure it would last atleast 4 pages long, lol.

blackonyx89
11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Michael Irvin always had diarrhea of the mouth! Still hate the fact he scorched us in those Super Bowls!

raphael120
11-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Ok, lets flip it. Some black dude gets into a big position at a big company. Someone comments "Oh, his great great great great grandma mustve got real freaky with a white business man back in the day"

You're telling me that the whole black community leaders won't be screamin their lungs out??? You have to be on crack to think they'd let that slide. The double standard is rediculous.

feelthepain
11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Ok, lets flip it. Some black dude gets into a big position at a big company. Someone comments "Oh, his great great great great grandma mustve got real freaky with a white business man back in the day"

You're telling me that the whole black community leaders won't be screamin their lungs out??? You have to be on crack to think they'd let that slide. The double standard is rediculous.

Like I said, remind me again who the minority is.

hurls
11-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Whites are where I work.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2006, 09:58 PM

I've definately changed my stance since reading some of these posts. Very good points.

hurls
11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
If Fox fired Steve Lyons for joking comments about Lou Piniella, ESPN should nut up and do the same, this also coming from a Cowboys fan.