PDA

View Full Version : I think we STILL need patience with JP!

X-Era
11-27-2006, 06:42 PM
As much as I want to jump on the bandwagon on JP, I think we should practice patience.

He has played well enough to win in the past 2 games. Furthermore, it is my belief that he was in the position to secure the win in both games. Anthony Thomas had some success early vs. the Texans but wasnt able to muster enough to dominate the clock, or score enough points to win. Against the Jags, McGahee had a few nice runs to put up 14 points but again died down and ended up with a mere 65 yards rushing, in large part due to a 30 yard scamper for the TD. The defense has lost any real ability to shut down the run for the entire game. They have been able to get some key stops late in both games, but gave up a staggering 395 yards rushing in the past 2 games. Furthermore, they have given up a total of 720 yards in those two outings. In the end, the defense has been far from dominant, and the running game has scored some points but in spurts, falling well short of controlling clock or dominating the game.

Enter Losman, in both games there was a need for a solid passing game to have a chance to win. JP was able to deliver. He had his best game of his career against the Texans, keeping the chains moving, scoring long TD bombs, and securing enough points for the win. He was NOT, however, perfect; in fact his throw for an inteception was one of the worst throws you will ever see a QB make. Against the Jags, Losman made some errant throws including one that was badly misthrown due to being hit that led to an interception but was recovered after a fumble. He was able to keep the chains moving but was far from dominant in this outing. The Jaguars came in with the 4th ranked defense in the league, also ranked 4th against the pass. Most fans should have expected a weaker day by Losman and he carried that to fruition. JP still hasnt become a dominant player who can own any team in the league on any given Sunday. When given the proper amount of time to throw, he has shown he can deliver. He wont play mistake free ball as of yet, and will throw some head scratchers at times as well. But, hasnt Ben Rothlisberger caused some fans, teamates, and coaches to wonder if he still is the guy or not this year? This after winning a Superbowl just this past season?

So, what can we expect from a QB? Better yet, what SHOULD we expect from OUR QB? Well, my personal opinion is that the Bills need, and probably always have needed, a QB who will light a fire under his team to force wins. Jim Kelly was known for his brash, brazen attitude, but when the game was on the line, he wouldnt let his team give up. JP has a long ways to go before he can be spoken of in the same sentences with guys like Jim Kelly. But if you noticed, I seperated the two sentences, so I guess Im alright. JP DID just show the kind of moxy that Bills fans have been craving since Kelly departed. In both contests, Losman looked cool under fire with the game on the line. He came out, controlled the offense like a field general, and made decisive throws to secure the win. Furthermore, he showed verbal field leadership that harkens back to the Kelly days. If your a Bills fan like me, Im sure you have had a feeling of mistrust in our ability to do what it take to win in the past decade. Our record speaks for itself on this matter. Yet, now many of us, including myself are starting once again to Bill-eve in this team and its ability to win. JP Losman is a big reason for giving this team hope and he should be commended for that.

However, JP is still a very young QB, our defense is still not playing like a dominant unit, our running game still hasnt proven consistency to be counted on. Any fan who has watched football for any number of years knows that your QB will have good games and bad games. JP is on a high point right now, but he will have bad games in the future. The mark of a great team, is when the team can still find ways to win. Overall, the Bills still have a ways to go to become a solid perennial playoff team capable of winning any game on any given Sunday and giving this city what its craving for, a Superbowl win. But, JP's recent surge is cause for hope for sure. However, shrewd fans like those that reside at the hallowed posting ground of the BillsZone board are savvy enough to practice patience with JP whether its because hes playing great and expected to have a letdown, or whether hes playing poorly.

One thing is for sure though. Its becoming fun and exciting again to be a Bills fan!

SABURZFAN
11-27-2006, 06:46 PM
:movie:

Philagape
11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
The shrewd fans will show patience, while the idiot fans will harp on every incompletion and not give him credit where due.

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Count me in jp-era. Just be prepared for many fans to fall right off the bandwagon after a bad performance. I however will keep my seat. :D

Philagape
11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
My arse is glued to the wagon, and more so every week as I see what he's capable of. Every QB has bad games.

Michael82
11-27-2006, 08:23 PM
My arse is glued to the wagon, and more so every week as I see what he's capable of. Every QB has bad games.
You and I have stayed on that bandwagon no matter how empty it's gotten. So has a couple other people. :hi5:

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2006, 08:34 PM
You and I have stayed on that bandwagon no matter how empty it's gotten. So has a couple other people. :hi5:

:beers:

G. Host
11-27-2006, 08:42 PM
As much as I want to jump on the bandwagon on JP, I think we should practice patience.
I agree completely. Patience is key when dealing with children which JP is still (more like a grade schooler than a baby now though). The child, especially the child's godparents, have trouble understanding that the child is not perfect and take any critiisms with child as reason to call Law Enforcement and call nasty names to person pointing out mistakes.

Often the child (or godparent) will hold his breath until he is blue in the face when someone disagrees that the mistakes the child is making is not so adorable and signs of greatness.

HHURRICANE
11-27-2006, 09:29 PM

I have to admit that I fell off for one night when Matt Leinart had that awesome game against the Bears. I now use the 24 hour rule.

My big thing is that I don't want to waste a pick or roster spot on another QB. I'm not asking for JP to be great just decent. I want us to fix the bigger issues like the DL and OL. Until that happens we wil be in a constant state of rebuilding!!