8 of the top 10 FA's still remain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

8 of the top 10 FA's still remain

Carucci's top 10 free agents
    By Vic Carucci
    NFL Insider

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

(Feb. 28, 2003) -- Now that we have a more complete picture -- thanks to the flurry of players that have been released and re-signed throughout the NFL -- here are my top 10 free agents:

1. Rosevelt Colvin, LB, Chicago. His chances of making a strong immediate impact are good, especially as a pass rusher. His great athleticism should allow him to adapt well to any defensive scheme. (Cincinnati's Takeo Spikes would have been first, followed by Colvin, but his transition tag could discourage teams because they would have to wait seven days to see if the Bengals would match any offer he receives)

2. Hugh Douglas, DE, Philadelphia. He continues to rank as one of the greatest pass rushers in the NFL. Questions about his age (he turns 32 in August) are legitimate for the long term, but he can still produce at an extremely high level and brings plenty as an emotional leader.

David Boston could be a key free agent this offseason.
    3. David Boston, WR, Arizona. He is a great talent, but if questions about his off-field behavior were enough to prevent the Cardinals from making a long-term commitment to him, how attractive is he to other teams?

4. Mike Peterson, OLB, Indianapolis. He doesn't provide a whole lot in the way of memorable, game-altering plays. He is just steady, tough, and at the end of the season, will have more tackles than anyone else on your defense.

5. Randy Thomas, OG, New York Jets---------------Redskins got him

6. Shawn Barber, OLB,
    7. Dre' Bly, CB, St. Louis. ----------------Gone
    8. Shelton Quarles, MLB, Tampa Bay.
    9. Vonnie Holliday, DE, Green Bay.
    10. Sammy Knight, SS, New Orleans.

Interesting that in Vic's top ten, only 2 are gone.
  • ArcticWildMan

Where's Peerless? Vonnie "one game wonder" Holliday is rated over him? Stupid writers.....

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

He's tagged
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Ughh. I forgot about him not rating tagged players.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Obviously, Arctic, this list was assembled on Friday, after all the Tags were put out. It's a list of AVAILABLE free agents-

Price, Spikes, McCallister are all off the list because they were tagged.

And that superstar from the Panthers that Carolina franchiised.... what's his name.... Sauerbrun ..... THE PUNTER

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Carrucci is one of the best writers out there- , and I'm not saying that because he's been a long time Bills writer

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

LMAO!!!! Who franchises a punter?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Actually, it was a brilliant move ( I laughed in jest)

My Bad, it's Tom Sauerbrun who is the punter

Carolina had no free agents worth near the top ten platyers. Sauerbrun was one of the best punters in the league last season- slapping the tag on him pays him an average of the top 5 punters- is probably what he's worth or slightly below what he's worth - 1.47 Million.

The same rules apply for Sauerbrun as they do for Peerless Price- Franchise players signed by other clubs get 2 1st rd picks as compensation. If he was the next Elway guys would line up outside the Panther's door - but since he's a lowly punter, Sauerbrun has zero options.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Yeah...I was thinking that a punter wouldn't be that expensive.

I'd be happy as a clam to make 1.47 Mil just to punt a damn football!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

With the cap at $75 Million, he accounts for 1/50th of the cap.

50 players or so make the team, so he's getting his share.

Comment

Working...
                    X