PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo's REAL Chances At the Playoffs..

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
If we beat San Diego, we have a SOLID shot at the playoffs. After we play San Diego, we have to play the Jets at their stadium. Which will be tough, but very doable. After we play the Jets, we have to face Miami, but we get home field in advantage. Once again Miami is a very beatable team, we have already beaten them once this year. After Miami, we face the Titans, which once again is a very beatable team. For the last game of the season, we have to face the Ravens AT Baltimore. You may be thinking, wow thats a tough game, Baltimore is on fire, but in reality, they are on fire and chances are they will secure homefield advantage by the time we play them. What does this mean? It means they will most likely be sitting their star players for this game, and instead having 2nd stringers take us on.

In conclusion, if we beat San Diego, we are over the hardest part of our schedule. From that point on, the teams will get easier. Expect Buffalo to make a serious push at the playoffs if we pull this game out this Sunday.

imbondz
11-28-2006, 10:39 AM
:smoke:

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
:smoke:

I don't care if you think I'm smoking crank. This is a very real situation, obviously it is hypothetical. But if we beat SD, mark my words, we have a very legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

HHURRICANE
11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I will say this. I highly doubt we beat San Diego. However, if we do beat San Diego than I will definately join the playoff bandwagon because 10-6 will definately get you there and we could win our last 4 games with that kind of momentum!!

G. Host
11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Even if we win out there is no guarentee we will be in playoffs.
I posted a thread about possibilities doing a lot of work on what needed to happen and I try not to be Cynical but the Bills started their rebirth, if that is what it is, too late.

What I do like is that there are lots of players getting experience and we are still a young team. Front office does not like negotating extensions mid-season but I think they should consider it for certain players while spirits are up.

HHURRICANE
11-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Even if we win out there is no guarentee we will be in playoffs.
I posted a thread about possibilities doing a lot of work on what needed to happen and I try not to be Cynical but the Bills started their rebirth, if that is what it is, too late.

What I do like is that there are lots of players getting experience and we are still a young team. Front office does not like negotating extensions mid-season but I think they should consider it for certain players while spirits are up.

10-6, this year, will get us in. No doubt. However, us going 10-6 is a whole other story!!

Kerr
11-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Beating San Diego would be the biggest win of the regular season.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 10:55 AM

This is true, but after San Diego, the rest of our schedule really isn't that bad at all.

Tatonka
11-28-2006, 11:21 AM
I will say this. I highly doubt we beat San Diego. However, if we do beat San Diego than I will definately join the playoff bandwagon because 10-6 will definately get you there and we could win our last 4 games with that kind of momentum!!

i feel the same way.:bandwagon

imbondz
11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
This is true, but after San Diego, the rest of our schedule really isn't that bad at all.

i don't know how you can say that. The Dolphins have won 4 straight, the Ravens are 9-2, on a 5 game win streak. The Jets have already beaten us at home. The Jets are playing for a playoff bid, the Ravens are playing for home field advantage throughout, as well as are the Chargers.

We have one of the hardest schedules left.

L.A. Playa
11-28-2006, 11:27 AM
if the Bills go 3-2 down the stretch they will finish 8-8 and im sure 95 % of the people on this board would have taken that before the year began

Tatonka
11-28-2006, 11:28 AM
i will say this.. every game that i thought we had no chance in.. we have won or come damn close..

new england - game 1.. i thought we were getting killed.. and i think if we had the oline playing like it is now in that game, we win.

indy - shame that lindell missed that kick, because it would have been a huge huge win and we would be on a 4 game winning streak right now and the playoffs would be a legit reality. so close..

jacksonville - i thought we would lose for sure.. i was wrong, thankfully.

it pisses me off that we couldnt sneak out one of those two losses.. or the jets game for that matter, but if we can play with those teams, we can play with san diego. i am starting to believe.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
i don't know how you can say that. The Dolphins have won 4 straight, the Ravens are 9-2, on a 5 game win streak. The Jets have already beaten us at home. The Jets are playing for a playoff bid, the Ravens are playing for home field advantage throughout, as well as are the Chargers.

We have one of the hardest schedules left.

This is hypothetical, IF we can pull out a tough win against the Chargers, we are going to make a strong push at the playoffs, mark my words.

the Ravens are playing for home field advantage throughout

The Ravens are 9-2 right now, by the time they play Buffalo, they are most likely going to have home field advantage secured! So if we last till Baltimore, we will most likely be playing their backups.

The Jets have already beaten us at home.

The Jets game will be tough, like I said. But they are BEATABLE! We are a much different team since we played them the first time around, and I definately think we can split with them.

The Dolphins have won 4 straight

Miami has been doing better, but we have already beaten them once before, we can beat them again. It can also be noted that Ronnie Brown has been injured this year, and it could effect his ability. Also, Joey Harrington has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns this season. Miami is hot, but they are very beatable.

The Titans are a rebuilding team, they are starting to come together, but we definately have the ability to beat them also.

RedEyE
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think there is a team in the league that will win out the remainder of their schedule. If Buffalo beats Sand Diego, I'll be on cloud 9 and I won't even need thoughts of the playoffs to get me their.

G. Host
11-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Indy - shame that lindell missed that kick, because it would have been a huge huge win and we would be on a 4 game winning streak right now and the playoffs would be a legit reality. so close.. .

Indy would have played it different had they not been able to sit on the ball with a lead. It would have been a very different ending but still a loss.

This reminds me of the time travel stories where people think they can make one change and everything else remains the same except what they changed.

OpIv37
11-28-2006, 11:32 AM
seriously, we shouldn't even be talking about this until after the SD game.

Also, don't forget that we could have been 10-6 and made the playoffs at the end of 04 but we choked against Pitt's backups.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 11:39 AM

Also, don't forget that we could have been 10-6 and made the playoffs at the end of 04 but we choked against Pitt's backups.

We probably shouldn't be talking about this, but then again my prediction is hypothetical and is dependant on the SD outcome. I just wan't to be able to bump this thread and say: "I told you SO!" :D

Thats a VERY bad memory. Bledsoe BLEW the game for us, that last interception was AWFUL. But I honestly think we are a much better team since that time. I'm not saying we are going to make the playoffs, I'm just saying we have a realllllly good shot if we can pull off a W against SD.

Mitchy moo
11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
We probably shouldn't be talking about this, but then again my prediction is hypothetical and is dependant on the SD outcome. I just wan't to be able to bump this thread and say: "I told you SO!" :D

Thats a VERY bad memory. Bledsoe BLEW the game for us, that last interception was AWFUL. But I honestly think we are a much better team since that time. I'm not saying we are going to make the playoffs, I'm just saying we have a realllllly good shot if we can pull off a W against SD.

Where were you yesterday when I fought about this all day?? Lol.

I think we will beat SD and move unto bigger and better things, like getting real hot for the playoffs.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Where were you yesterday when I fought about this all day?? Lol.

I think we will beat SD and move unto bigger and better things, like getting real hot for the playoffs.

Must not of seen it, sorry Skoob!

TacklingDummy
11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't care if you think I'm smoking crank. This is a very real situation, obviously it is hypothetical. But if we beat SD, mark my words, we have a very legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

That's being very optimistic.

Realistically we could lose 4 out of the last 5.

If only we could have gotten production from the Offense during the Lions, NE, Jets and Colt games, we'd be sitting great.

Dr. Lecter
11-28-2006, 12:07 PM

If only we could have gotten production from the Offense during the Lions, NE, Jets and Colt games, we'd be sitting great.

The problem against Detroit was the defense.

I do know of anybody else on this board as blind as you are on this topic.

Dr. Lecter
11-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Also, the offense put up good numbers against the Jets. JP threw for 328 yards. Willis ran for 150.

So get your facts straight or quit lying. You have had two of those games jammed back into your face.

Pinkerton Security
11-28-2006, 12:31 PM
What I get out of this thread is this: if the Bills beat the Chargers, they will obviously gain enourmous amounts of momentum and will be tough to beat down the stretch, thus giving us a good shot at making the playoffs. If this is incorrect, somebody correct me.

I dont get why supposed Bills fans on here, pessimistic or not, would dispute any of these facts. IF...its a big word people. People aren;t on here saying we're definitely going undefeated the rest of the way, we're only saying that IF we beat SD, we will be rolling.

Have some hope.

TigerJ
11-28-2006, 12:34 PM
To have a realistic shot, Buffalo has to go undefeated through the remaining five games. You are right in that San Diego represents the largest hurdle to get past. Baltimore at the end of the season is also a huge game for the Bills, but that will depend in part on how much the game means for the Ravens. They will lilkely have wrapped up their division. If they are playing for home field and the game still means something, they may be as tough as San Diego. If the game is meaninglyss to them, they my play scrubs and the game becomes much more winnable from Buffalo's perspective. Remember though that Buffalo fell flat a few years ago in a game that meant nothing to the soaring Steelers. They played scrubs and Buffalo looked like the University of Buffalo in comparison.

Frankly, in Pickem, I don't plan on picking Buffalo to win, though if the spread is big enough I might pick them to beat the spread.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 12:34 PM
What I get out of this thread is this: if the Bills beat the Chargers, they will obviously gain enourmous amounts of momentum and will be tough to beat down the stretch, thus giving us a good shot at making the playoffs. If this is incorrect, somebody correct me.

I dont get why supposed Bills fans on here, pessimistic or not, would dispute any of these facts. IF...its a big word people. People aren;t on here saying we're definitely going undefeated the rest of the way, we're only saying that IF we beat SD, we will be rolling.

Have some hope.

Exactly what I was trying to say!

:hi5:

OpIv37
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Have some hope.

first, this is a rebuilding year- many of us were hoping for improvement and we're finally starting to see that. Let's not get greedy.

Second, every time I've had some hope for this team, they've let me down, and I'm sure most of you are in the same situation as far as that is concerned. Football fans are like an abused wife suffering from battered woman syndrome- "THIS time will be different!"

Hope for the best but expect the worst.

justasportsfan
11-28-2006, 01:04 PM
why not? Yeah I remember your words "false hopes" before the season even started but let's not forget that neither you and I wouldn't put the words "wildcard and bills" in the same sentence as well. Every national media that doubted the bills has talked about bills and playoffs at this point in time , why can't bills fans?

It's still a pipe dream but let those who want to dream do so. Even if it''s just "mathematically" possible it's still more than anyone ever expected except for Skooby.

OpIv37
11-28-2006, 01:13 PM
why not? Yeah I remember your words "false hopes" before the season even started but let's not forget that neither you and I wouldn't put the words "wildcard and bills" in the same sentence as well. Every national media that doubted the bills has taked about bills and plaoffs at this point in time , why can't bills fans?

It's still a pipe dream but let those who want to dream do so. Even if it''s just "mathematically" possible it's still more than anyone ever expected except for Skooby.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. We've been in this situation before (2004)- I'd rather be pleasantly surprised if we do miraculously make it then once again disappointed by this team because we don't.

Even if we lose to SD, we won't be mathematically eliminated, but we would need monumental collapses by at least KC, Denver, and the Jets.

L.A. Playa
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Bills have a chance of winning this week because Marty has his 9 wins already and he usually get no more than 9 or 10 wins a year before his teams choke so hopefully his teams yearly choke starts this week

L.A. Playa
11-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I guess it's a matter of personal preference. We've been in this situation before (2004)- I'd rather be pleasantly surprised if we do miraculously make it then once again disappointed by this team because we don't.

Even if we lose to SD, we won't be mathematically eliminated, but we would need monumental collapses by at least KC, Denver, and the Jets.

Just Denver really and switching to a rookie QB could doom them, the Bills play the Jets and if they win that game they can basically take care of their own business against the Jets and Miami and they should win against the Titans

Tatonka
11-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Indy would have played it different had they not been able to sit on the ball with a lead. It would have been a very different ending but still a loss.

This reminds me of the time travel stories where people think they can make one change and everything else remains the same except what they changed.

i didnt mean to imply that we would have just walked away with the game had lindell made the kick, but we did do a solid job of stopping indy that day.. maybe they throw more, maybe we get another pick or fumble.. who knows who would have won.. all i know is we would have had the lead and a good chance to win.. and the way that game was going.. i think we could have pulled it out..

but we will never know.

L.A. Playa
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
a few bounces here and there and the bills could be 7-4 or 8-3 but young teams lose games like that what is encouraging is that they have gotten those bounces and learned how to win those games the last 2 weeks.

Learning to win in this league is just as important as talent in the NFL and hopefully the lesson has been learned look at it this way they already have as many victories as they did last year

Tatonka
11-28-2006, 01:52 PM

yeah, because the defense played stellar in all those games.. they held those opposing offenses to 3 points and that is what we lost by.

:rolleyes:

The King
11-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Since we beat NE 31-0

justasportsfan
11-28-2006, 02:24 PM
I didn't get to see the game. My question is, Did Spikes even play? Is the running game hampered by him being on the field? We're gonna need our lb's to make tackles against LT. It's bad enough that we can't tackle no name rbs.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I didn't get to see the game. My question is, Did Spikes even play? Is the running game hampered by him being on the field? We're gonna need our lb's to make tackles against LT. It's bad enough that we can't tackle no name rbs.

Spikes did play, and has been playing. He hasn't done well in the Cover 2, at all. He has like 1 pass defended, 1 sack and like 32-37 tackles total. His statistics aren't impressive, and not only that, I haven't seen him do anything worthy of notation on the field, other than his lone sack against Tom Brady in the opener against New England.

patmoran2006
11-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Even if we were to win against SD (highly unlikely) we're not making the playoffs.. Denver, KC and Cinci- I dont see us finishing better than 2 of those three, not to mention the Jets and Jacksonville.

For the record, our schedule gets NO easier... The Jets on the road is tough, Baltimore (playing for home field) on the road are ROUGH.. Miami is never an easy game and even Tennesee is becoming dangerous with Vince Young.

However, I agree with the earlier post, go 3-2 for a .500 record and given all the turnover on the roster and staff, and a young kid at QB and I think this season will be a nice success

patmoran2006
11-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Spikes did play, and has been playing. He hasn't done well in the Cover 2, at all. He has like 1 pass defended, 1 sack and like 32-37 tackles total. His statistics aren't impressive, and not only that, I haven't seen him do anything worthy of notation on the field, other than his lone sack against Tom Brady in the opener against New England.

he hasnt made a SIGNIFICANT play since the injury in week one.. Not one play, and I been watching him closely.

I still wouldnt give up on him, even if he dont do **** the rest of the season either. I"d bet after a couple more months of healing and training he'll be a lot better than this year, even if he's not 100% of what he used to be.

Right now, he is NOT a strength at all for us.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
he hasnt made a SIGNIFICANT play since the injury in week one.. Not one play, and I been watching him closely.

I still wouldnt give up on him, even if he dont do **** the rest of the season either. I"d bet after a couple more months of healing and training he'll be a lot better than this year, even if he's not 100% of what he used to be.

I wouldn't be so sure about Cincy. They have a really tougher schedule to play out. While I'm not underestimating the Jets, Miami or Tennessee, I just think that the momentum that SD would give this team, would be enough to set us over the edge. Furthermore, to respond to your post about Baltimore on the road. Baltimore is 9-2 right now, and chances are they will already have homefield advantage locked up BEFORE we play them. This may mean we will catch a break, and play against their backups. I know this is a longshot, but it is definately in the realm of reality.

Devin
11-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Beating San Diego would be our biggest win in 2 years.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 04:23 PM

You may be right about his rehabilitation, but that is just speculation at this time. You are right when you say he is not a strength for us at all; I would go as far to say that he is actually a weakness for us. Keith Ellison had better stats than Takeo did in less games.. But who knows, I'm not taking into consideration the leadership that TKO brings to the team. In the end, keeping him in to see if he can regain stature is the right move.. We all know what TKO can do when healthy.

Mitchy moo
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
You may be right about his rehabilitation, but that is just speculation at this time. You are right when you say he is not a strength for us at all; I would go as far to say that he is actually a weakness for us. Keith Ellison had better stats than Takeo did in less games.. But who knows, I'm not taking into consideration the leadership that TKO brings to the team. In the end, keeping him in to see if he can regain stature is the right move.. We all know what TKO can do when healthy.

I barely hear the announcers say TKO, much less see him. He is not healthy yet, that is all there is too it.

ShadowHawk7
11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Those are ALL games we could lose legitimately. I just can't see us pulling a '04 with this kind of schedule.

Dr. Lecter
11-28-2006, 04:58 PM

He caused the fumble against Houston that Nate recovered, but other than that I agree. The achille's was just over a year ago and it is a 12 month + injury.

justasportsfan
11-28-2006, 05:08 PM

Right now, he is NOT a strength at all for us.he did cause a fumble but it was Crowells tackle I think against the texans. OOps. Lecter got it.

I agree. Still not giving up on the guy. We should however rotate him with Wllison. I'm almost sure our D could use his speed.

SABURZFAN
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
let's get to .500 before we consider talking playoffs.

ublinkwescore
11-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I hope Baltimore has nothing to play for if we beat San Diego this week - if we can beat SD, pull out the win at Giants Stadium against the Jets, squish the fish, Tenessee, and come in to Baltimore when they've got nothing to play for, we can sneak in as a wildcard team, but we're gonna need some help from Indy - either Indy needs to lose a couple, or Indy needs to win out and make it pointless for Baltimore to play it's starters just before the playoffs start.

Mitchy moo
11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I hope Baltimore has nothing to play for if we beat San Diego this week - if we can beat SD, pull out the win at Giants Stadium against the Jets, squish the fish, Tenessee, and come in to Baltimore when they've got nothing to play for, we can sneak in as a wildcard team, but we're gonna need some help from Indy - either Indy needs to lose a couple, or Indy needs to win out and make it pointless for Baltimore to play it's starters just before the playoffs start.

Wow, you have a good point. Indy is ahead of them now, here is their remaining schedule:

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>13</TD><TD noWrap>Sun, Dec 3</TD><TD>at Tennessee (http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ten)</TD><TD colSpan=2>Tickets (http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=Tennessee+Titans+Tickets&partner=ot)</TD><TD colSpan=2>CBS</TD><TD colSpan=2>1:00 PM</TD></TR><!--gameStatus=1--><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>14</TD><TD noWrap>Sun, Dec 10</TD><TD>at Jacksonville (http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=jac)</TD><TD colSpan=2>Tickets (http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=Jacksonville+Jaguars+Tickets&partner=ot)</TD><TD colSpan=2>CBS</TD><TD colSpan=2>1:00 PM</TD></TR><!--gameStatus=1--><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>15</TD><TD noWrap>Mon, Dec 18</TD><TD>Cincinnati (http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cin)</TD><TD colSpan=2>Tickets (http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=Indianapolis+Colts+Tickets&partner=ot)</TD><TD colSpan=2>ESPN</TD><TD colSpan=2>8:30 PM</TD></TR><!--gameStatus=1--><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>16</TD><TD noWrap>Sun, Dec 24</TD><TD>at Houston (http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou)</TD><TD colSpan=2>Tickets (http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=Houston+Texans+Tickets&partner=ot)</TD><TD colSpan=2>CBS</TD><TD colSpan=2>1:00 PM</TD></TR><!--gameStatus=1--><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>17</TD><TD noWrap>Sun, Dec 31</TD><TD>Miami (http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia)</TD><TD colSpan=2>Tickets (http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=Indianapolis+Colts+Tickets&partner=ot)</TD><TD colSpan=2>CBS</TD><TD colSpan=2>1:00 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Which games will they lose? There is also a chance that our Baltimore game gets moved to a later time and Miami / Indy plays earlier and decides their fate as well. I personally think Indy wins out, looking at this schedule.

Bling
11-28-2006, 07:10 PM
I think I'll take Jacksonville, Kansas City, Miami and Denver's chance over the Bills.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I think I'll take Jacksonville, Kansas City, Miami and Denver's chance over the Bills.

Miami doesn't have much of a chance, seeing as how your defense will break down somewhere along the way. Luckily your defense has held your opponents to what 10 pts in the past 4 games? I doubt they keep that up. Joey Harrington had a monster game against Detroit, but other than that he has still been throwing boneheaded picks. Say what you will, but I feel much more confident with JP at the helm than Harrington.

Meathead
11-28-2006, 07:33 PM
the good news is that jp and the team is learning how to make plays to win

the bad news is they didnt learn it one loss earlier

as tough as it is to win in the nfl and as new as the bills are to doing it five straight (seven actually) is unlikely

other things not in their favor is hemmoraging run defense and the ghost of the third-string curse from two years ago

but it will be fun to see if lightning can strike twice, or i guess in this case once

BoltfanBo
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2668613

I don't see the Billls listed.
That's alot of team you have to leap frog. Not gonna happen