PDA

View Full Version : Does Tom Donahoe deserve some credit for Bills turnaround?

JoeMama
11-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Interesting read from Chuck Pollock...

I gotta agree on one point here.

Tom Donahoe's coaching decisions were miserable but he did get some great players via free agency & the draft.

I bolded a few of the names. I forgot how many of these guys seemed like training camp fodder at the time but developed into very good players.

Donahoe definitely made some savvy moves.

Donahoe derserves some credit for Bills’ turnaround

When he was ousted after last season, former president/general manager Tom Donahoe was blamed for everything from Western New York’s sagging economy to accumulations in the snow belt.

But these are the facts.

Losman was Donahoe’s acquisition.

After Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger were picked in the first round, Donahoe, who had already taken wide receiver Lee Evans with the 13th pick, traded back into 2004’s first round.

He switched first-round picks with Dallas (the Cowboys got the Bills’ opening rounder in 2005), plus giving up a second and fifth-rounder, for the right to take Losman with the 22nd pick.

And while J.P. struggled, fans concluded Donahoe had thrown good money after bad ... especially while Roethlisberger, playing in the Steelers’ structured, run-oriented, don’t-lose-the-game-for-us offense, won a Super Bowl.

Even Manning showed some promise last season while Rivers, after a holdout, sat and watched Drew Breese and didn’t earn a starting spot until this season.
But, in recent weeks, while Losman has blossomed and Rivers has lived up to his billing with the trade of Breese to New Orleans, Roethlisberger and

Manning have been worse than terrible.

It’s not unfair to suggest J.P. will have a superior career to either “Big Ben” or Eli.

Then there’s [Roscoe] Parrish.

Donahoe was blistered by critics who said that picking a midget wide receiver — explosive quickness notwithstanding — with Buffalo’s second-round pick (Dallas had the first-rounder in the Losman deal) when the team needed linemen on both sides of the ball, was unfettered arrogance.

As it turns out, though, Parrish could be a difference-maker.

And, oh yeah, take a look at the Bills’ starters.

On offense, Losman, Evans, running back Willis McGahee and guard Duke Preston were Donahoe draftees while tackle Jason Peters, guard Mike Gandy and fullback Daimon Shelton were his free agent signings.

Defensively, ends Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay, linebacker Angelo Crowell and cornerbacks Nate Clements and Terrence McGee were drafted by

Donahoe while linebackers London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes were free agent acquisitions, as were punter Brian Moorman and place-kicker Rian Lindell.

The point is this.

On the issues of perceived arrogance and bunker-mentality paranoia, Donahoe is unexpectedly and disappointingly guilty.

But the indictment of him as a talent evaluator is ill-considered.

Of the Bills’ 24 starters — including kicker and punter — 16, or two-thirds, are Donahoe acquisitions.

He’s fully answerable for the misguided head-coaching hirings of Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey.

But in the area of talent evaluation, time could well prove him to be more than capable.

Chuck Pollock's column (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17520624&BRD=2725&PAG=461&dept_id=562745&rfi=6)

For real. Some of these picks were incredible. Especially the less heralded pickups like Jason Peters, Terrence McGee, Angelo Crowell, Duke Preston, Daimon Shelton, & Brian Moorman.

OpIv37
11-29-2006, 08:43 AM
he was also responsible for some of the biggest busts in Bills history- Mike Williams comes immediately to mind. And he neglected the OL and the DL for years, and it still shows on the field.

Or, to state it more simply- not every decision TD made was a bad one, but he made enough bad ones that he deserved to get fired.

Elminster
11-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Of course he does....but not much. Tom Donahoe also contributed such blockbuster signings as Drew Bledsoe, and featured Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey at HC. His greatest contribution to the offensive line was an undrafted rookie free agent TE, no doubt a feather that belongs in the scouting department's cap, not his.

Plus, his staff obviously didn't understand what they had. They didn't think JP's mechanics were a problem....and, obviously, they were. They also refused to stick with JP. Willis has also improved vastly more under the current regime, especially in attitude.

What I'm saying is that TD was all about instant-gratification. He wasn't willing to put in the hard work to develop talent beyond what it developed into itself. He wanted play-offs NOW, not next year. It is a shame, because TD will probably be incorrectly assigned a good bit of credit, when it is Marv and DJ and their staff who've put in the hard work of actually improving the talent TD brought in, and giving it a fair shake...

The King
11-29-2006, 08:49 AM
The Bills are still 5-6 and this is Levy's first year of course the team will be 2/3 Donahoes. If the Bills make the playoffs this is a valid point if they dont then there really isnt much to talk about. Its just another team short of the playoffs.

justasportsfan
11-29-2006, 08:52 AM
his mistakes outweighed the right things he did.

JoeMama
11-29-2006, 08:54 AM
he was also responsible for some of the biggest busts in Bills history- Mike Williams comes immediately to mind. And he neglected the OL and the DL for years, and it still shows on the field.

Or, to state it more simply- not every decision TD made was a bad one, but he made enough bad ones that he deserved to get fired.

The funny thing about Tom Donahoe is how much talent was squandered under his watch.

His coaching moves were so disastrous that they overshadowed a lot of his personnel moves on the roster.

Again, I give him all the credit in the world for finding gems like Jason Peters & Duke Preston on the offensive line, but how ironic is it that both of them are playing much better under Marv Levy's selection of coaches.

Somehow, Marv Levy & Dick Jauron are getting far more out of Donahoe's players than the coaches Donahoe himself hand selected.

Go figure.

JoeMama
11-29-2006, 08:55 AM
What I'm saying is that TD was all about instant-gratification.

This line sums it up.

The entire Drew Bledsoe facade was easily the best example of Donahoe's "instant gratification" attitude in Buffalo.

He put together this horse & pony show to welcome Bledsoe into town like some kind of superstar. Which was a giant PR stunt to get people excited about the team & sell more tickets.

And ultimately, Bledsoe was probably the worst thing that happened to Buffalo over that tenure. I mean, Bledsoe was & is a good guy, but he was a team killer thanks to his problems with holding into the ball. Probably moreso than Gregg Williams & definitely moreso than Mike Mularkey.

And go figure, now Bledsoe is out in Dallas after two disappointing seasons, replaced by a kid that's turning the Cowboys around. He got replaced by Tom Brady, JP Losman, & now Tony Romo. He's going to end his career in obscurity.

Donahoe blew it on that one & really set us back a few years.

Romes
11-29-2006, 08:56 AM
The Bills are still 5-6 and this is Levy's first year of course the team will be 2/3 Donahoes. If the Bills make the playoffs this is a valid point if they dont then there really isnt much to talk about. Its just another team short of the playoffs.

exactly the point i was gonna make.

Jauron733
11-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Why is it that every time we start winning some games these articles start popping up about how Donahoe deserves credit. Who gives a crap about Donahoe anymore. These same articles were printed at the beginning of the year. Basically they say - Donahoe wasn't totally incompetent because he drafted some of the players who are part of this team. Big Whup. He had 5 years to put together a good team and failed. Good riddance.

Historian
11-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Save the postage guys.

justasportsfan
11-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Maybe Modrak should be given some credit ? Our draft this year isn't too shabby as well.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2006, 09:18 AM
NO!!!

JJamezz
11-29-2006, 09:19 AM
God, there are so many oversights in that article, it boggles the mind... Chuck certainly is living up to his last name! (It's ok - I'm part Polock too..)

1) While I'm as jacked up about this team right now as the next guy, I don't feel comfortable at this point saying the Bills team is 'turned around'..

2) Same thing goes for the JP / Manning thing comparison. I love what JP is showing lately, but c'mon, to suggest that JP has a couple of good games, Manning has a few bad ones, that all of a sudden JP will have a better career is just silly. It may indeed happen that way - from the get go I saw a lot of things in Eli that bothered me - but to make that prediction now is ******ed..

3) Parrish?? Gimme a break - same argument as above. The guy has been next to invisible until last week, and all of a sudden he now warrants the 2nd round pick and Donohoe is a genius..

4) I don't think anybody ever truly questioned Donohoe's ability to see talent. The problem was always trying to make the 'big splash' with the skill positions and ignoring the other GLARING positions of NEED.

5) We're only now seeing these players come together as a team, buy into the system, and play hard.. 3 things you NEVER saw from a Donohoe team. And that is 100% due to the new coaching staff. The author is ignorant for glossing over that factor - the biggest factor in this teams improvement IMO is the coaching staff. Players now are right on schedule - usually takes about 1/2 a season to get adjusted to new schemes, and that's when you start seeing players make plays on instinct, and not having to think about what they're doing. That is exactly what is happening.

Had TD been able to get past his own massive ego and his paranoia of hiring a HC that wasn't some castrated yes-man, Donohoe would still be a Bill. Talent alone doesn't get you very far in this league - or this world for that matter. See the Washington Redskins.

6) Half of the players the author mentioned are still borderline starters. As a GM of a NFL team, if you HAVEN'T brought in some noteworthy talent via the draft and FA, in a 5 year span.. again, just silly. While I do have some respect for Donohoe's ability to spot talent, the old adage about the broken clock comes to mind. It's all about the W's Tommy boy...

7) Piss off Tom Donohoe - you're gone, and good riddance... It must be tearing you apart to see this roster getting its s**t together with an 80+ year old 1ST TIME GM running the show.. LMAO. If you had only been able to deflate that massive head of yours a bit, you'd still be here in Buffalo getting all the accolades and attention you apparently crave like a heroin addict in need of his next fix.

JoeMama
11-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Maybe Modrak should be given some credit ? Our draft this year isn't too shabby as well.

I read speculation that Tom Modrak had a big hand in the selection of guys like Mike Williams & Chris Kelsay.

Which, like I said, is just speculation so I could be wrong -- but I've generally been on the fence about the amount of credit to give him.

Although, I think this year's draft is proving to be one of the best in recent years.

And since Marv Levy is the head of OBD, I give him most of the credit.

Hail to the king!

justasportsfan
11-29-2006, 09:27 AM
I read speculation that Tom Modrak had a big hand in the selection of guys like Mike Williams & Chris Kelsay.

Which, like I said, is just speculation so I could be wrong -- but I've generally been on the fence about the amount of credit to give him.

Although, I think this year's draft is proving to be one of the best in recent years.

And since Marv Levy is the head of OBD, I give him most of the credit.

Hail to the king!Kelsay is turning out to be a decent pick considering how weak his draft class was and that we needed as DE in that year.

No doubt Marv gets the bulk of the credit this year. I doubt he really knew much about the draft and even admitted he had to heavily rely on Modrak this year. Marv gets credit for listening to his coaches and the people around him. TD was more of my way or the highway. MArv is the opposite.

spacecowboy
11-29-2006, 09:39 AM
NO!!Next Question.:D:

justasportsfan
11-29-2006, 09:49 AM
God, there are so many oversights in that article, it boggles the mind... Chuck certainly is living up to his last name! (It's ok - I'm part Polock too..)

1) While I'm as jacked up about this team right now as the next guy, I don't feel comfortable at this point saying the Bills team is 'turned around'..

2) Same thing goes for the JP / Manning thing comparison. I love what JP is showing lately, but c'mon, to suggest that JP has a couple of good games, Manning has a few bad ones, that all of a sudden JP will have a better career is just silly. It may indeed happen that way - from the get go I saw a lot of things in Eli that bothered me - but to make that prediction now is ******ed..

3) Parrish?? Gimme a break - same argument as above. The guy has been next to invisible until last week, and all of a sudden he now warrants the 2nd round pick and Donohoe is a genius..

4) I don't think anybody ever truly questioned Donohoe's ability to see talent. The problem was always trying to make the 'big splash' with the skill positions and ignoring the other GLARING positions of NEED.

5) We're only now seeing these players come together as a team, buy into the system, and play hard.. 3 things you NEVER saw from a Donohoe team. And that is 100% due to the new coaching staff. The author is ignorant for glossing over that factor - the biggest factor in this teams improvement IMO is the coaching staff. Players now are right on schedule - usually takes about 1/2 a season to get adjusted to new schemes, and that's when you start seeing players make plays on instinct, and not having to think about what they're doing. That is exactly what is happening.

Had TD been able to get past his own massive ego and his paranoia of hiring a HC that wasn't some castrated yes-man, Donohoe would still be a Bill. Talent alone doesn't get you very far in this league - or this world for that matter. See the Washington Redskins.

6) Half of the players the author mentioned are still borderline starters. As a GM of a NFL team, if you HAVEN'T brought in some noteworthy talent via the draft and FA, in a 5 year span.. again, just silly. While I do have some respect for Donohoe's ability to spot talent, the old adage about the broken clock comes to mind. It's all about the W's Tommy boy...

7) Piss off Tom Donohoe - you're gone, and good riddance... It must be tearing you apart to see this roster getting its s**t together with an 80+ year old 1ST TIME GM running the show.. LMAO. If you had only been able to deflate that massive head of yours a bit, you'd still be here in Buffalo getting all the accolades and attention you apparently crave like a heroin addict in need of his next fix.

Where's the highlights :tap:

2. I don't feel so bad when I look back and see what we gave up to draft JP when I look at the way Eli is playing lately and what the Giants gave up to take him from the chargers.

Dang that AJ Smith.

Romes
11-29-2006, 10:07 AM

2. I don't feel so bad when I look back and see what we gave up to draft JP when I look at the way Eli is playing lately and what the Giants gave up to take him from the chargers.

Dang that AJ Smith.

Do you think Eli still wouldn't want to play in San Diego?

looks like that decision came around and bit him pretty freakin hard. what a toolbag.

justasportsfan
11-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Do you think Eli still wouldn't want to play in San Diego?

looks like that decision came around and bit him pretty freakin hard. what a toolbag.
I thinks he's on a slump right now. All qb's go thru that except for Rivers though because he's got LT.

JJamezz
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM

Damn, I KNEW I had something to do this week... Completely slipped my mind!

raphael120
11-29-2006, 12:18 PM
one thing i know for sure, is now that Levy is GM, i would LOVE to see whether it next year (ehhh...?) or the year after (good possiblity) we make it to the super bowl and get marv that ring he so deserves!

Philagape
11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Of the players acquired under Donahoe, how many are great ones? Evans, Spikes (pre-injury), Moorman, and McGee as a returner are the only ones I can think of. The rest are either average, good but not great, or too inconsistent to label (such as McGahee and Clements).

And judging individual talent is irrelevant anyway. What matters is record.

YardRat
11-29-2006, 06:23 PM
I'll refrain from giving Donahoe any credit until the Bills make the play-offs and we see what the roster looks like at that point.

Most of the starters currently are his players, but we're still a team struggling to play .500 ball.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I thinks he's on a slump right now. All qb's go thru that except for Rivers though because he's got LT.

Trust me, Rivers is going to go through it too.

Mr. Cynical
11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Does Tom Donahoe deserve some credit for Bills turnaround?

:no:

Meathead
11-29-2006, 08:15 PM
yes

BillsFever21
11-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Donahoe was also great at marketing the team. Did we ever have a blackout while Donahoe was running the team?

He brought in good players and made high profile good draft picks to get people excited and put competitive talent on the field. We didn't this year and now we're looking at our 2nd blackout which also are the only blackouts in the NFL this season.

Donahoe's mistakes were his coaching decisions. His talent and player decisions were great.

So he had one bust with Mike Williams. One huge bust out of 6 years. Go check every other teams and see if they have any 1st round or high draft pick busts in the last 6 years. I guess all of them guys suck too.

And some of you may think this team is turned around with the new coaching staff because we've went on a roll towards the end of the season and are now 5-6.

I guess you guys don't remember Mularkey's first year when we won 5 straight and finished 9-7. Some thought Mularkey was a king, Tom Clements should've been here 2 years before that and we could also lose Jerry Gray to a HC offer from another team. We saw how all of that turned out.

The point is this nice streak doesn't mean this coaching staff will take us to the promise land yet or that all of our troubles are solved and we're prime for playoff runs for the next few years.

Lets see how the rest of this season pans out along with next season. I'm happy about the run and also happy about how Jauron gathered our troops this last month but I also can't forget about all the horrible decisions and game planning up to this point either. A good month of football doesn't mean this team has turned the corner and is on the brink of playoff success next year.