PDA

View Full Version : Bengals to drop tag on Spikes???

Schobel94
03-02-2003, 12:47 PM
"The interest in the 6-2, 237-pound Barber, a speedy weak-side linebacker who had 100 tackles for NFC East champion Philadelphia this past season, shows the Bengals are preparing for the possibility of replacing right outside linebacker Takeo Spikes, their transition free agent. Lewis indicated if they sign Barber, the tag could come off and free up Spikes to move, but that was looking too far down the road Friday.
"
http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=1723#cont

"A deal with Adams could have some aftershocks on the landscape of their roster when it comes to linebacker Takeo Spikes. The big question is if they can afford both Adams and the $4.8 million tag on Spikes that gives the Bengals the right to match an offer for him. If they sign Adams, would they have to let Spikes go? They certainly wouldn’t let him go until they found a replacement, one of Bengals founder Paul Brown’s mottos.
"
http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=1726#cont

This is a bit encouraging.

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2003, 12:52 PM
One thing they seem to have forgotten is that NOBODY wants to play for the Bengals. Do they really think these two guys are going to want to come to Bungal land?

Romes
03-02-2003, 12:52 PM
More than a bit I think. Lewis knows Spikes wants out of Cincy. :clap:

DraftBoy
03-02-2003, 12:54 PM
I think he wants to see the intrest in him first, but from what I hear not many teams are biting because they wanna see what Cincy does first

Novacane
03-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Sounds very good! I've just got a feeling Takeo is going to end up a Bill.

Michael82
03-02-2003, 12:56 PM
I think he'll leave Buffalo with a signed contract in his hand on Monday! :pray:

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2003, 12:58 PM
He can't Mike!!! Cincy can match any offer we make. It would take several days to finalize a deal.

Schobel94
03-02-2003, 12:58 PM
That would be sweet, but they would have to drop the tag by then, and thats not gonna happen. What I think IS going to happen is that after his meeting, he will be so impressed (like Fletcher) is that he'll ***** day and night until they drop the tag. That would be awsome.

clumping platelets
03-02-2003, 12:59 PM
:shakeno:

don137
03-02-2003, 01:02 PM
I think Adams could sign with Cincy. He seems like a "show me the money" player so as long as he is paid he would play for Cincy. Barber might be a hard sell.

The_Philster
03-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Mike Brown isn't known for "show me the money" contracts

kgun12
03-02-2003, 01:27 PM
"He can't Mike!!! Cincy can match any offer we make. It would take several days to finalize a deal." From AWM.

He can leave here with a signed contract. at that point the Bengals have 7 days to match the offer. If they don't he is ours. If they do there is no more bids alound and Cincy must sign him to the contract we offered.

Clump is this right or wrong.

Tatonka
03-02-2003, 01:31 PM
that is correct kgun. i am sure of that.

The_Philster
03-02-2003, 01:37 PM
I'll second that...you're correct kgun12

Nighthawk
03-02-2003, 02:02 PM
KGun you're correct, however, did anybody catch the article about Spikes from Bengals.com on the frontpage of Billszone? They wrote that if the Bengals don't match an offer for Spikes that a team would have to give up a 1st rounder...uhhh, no they don't! If they don't match, they get nothing...only the Franchise tag guarantees something in return. I'm surprised that a huge mistake like that would be missed by a site reporting football news...then again, it is a website related to the Bungles and we all know how bad they are! :)

Typ0
03-02-2003, 02:04 PM
While they have sucked for a while now I think there is a lot of opportunity in Cincinnati right now. They are tired of losing and when Lewis took the job he did so with the understanding he was going to be able to change the organizations attitude and focus in some key areas like recruiting. They have a solid core to have a decent team next season and be moderately competetive. Spikes is just sick of them and wants a new start somewhere else. But they will bring in some talent to replace him and I expect Cincy will not be the ultimate bottom feeders again next season like they have been as long as I can remember now.

clumping platelets
03-02-2003, 02:04 PM
once an offer sheet is signed, that will be the contract Spikes gets! Either with the new team or the Bengals

don137
03-02-2003, 03:34 PM
From what I have seen it doesn't look like Cincinnati will drop the tag until they replace him. Barber might be the key for Buffalo landing Spikes. If Barber signs with any team except Cincinnati it could be more difficult but if Barber signs with the Bengals then they may drop the tag. I don't have a warm fuzzy about the Bengals ability to get Barber.