PDA

View Full Version : Why most mocks are clueless

X-Era
11-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Anyone who thinks we are going to skip one of the top 3 WR's in this draft to take an OT is crazy!

Did these guys forget that LT is filled? Jason Peters is not only a solid LT, hes a fantastic LT. Hes one of the best OT's we have EVER had on this team. There is NO chance that we will be drafting a LT in the 1st round, RT? thats a possibility. However, the guys that are being discussed, Levi Brown, Sam Baker are LT prospects not RT prospects. I find it hard to believe that we would take a LT that high and then play that person at RT. Especially considering guys like Ginn Jr. and Dwayne Jarrett may be sitting mid round.

Either one of those guys helps us day one, where as a converted LT playing RT as a rookie may not help us for years.

Ginn has an amazing ability to get you serious YAC with his ridiculous moves and athletic ability. Jarrett is a proven long ball type of receiver who has the size and solid build to fight for the ball. Either adds another dimension to our vertical game. And as JP continues to develop, he will be even better at using the 2nd, and 3rd options. If we have that player a be a player who can score at any time, we free up double teams or simply throw to our other #1. It would be like having 2 #1 WR's and a serious threat for any defense.

DE, LB, CB (if Clements leaves) ALL come before an OT in this upcoming draft at least as the 1st round goes due to having the LT spot more than adequately filled.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/mocklinks.html

My 2 cents

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Mocks are not useless. Although they are not accurate on which team is going to take what player, they are accurate in the sense that you can get a feel for the players that will be taken in the 1st round. I personally love reading mock drafts, especially if they have us taking a player I like. :up:

X-Era
11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Mocks are not useless. Although they are not accurate on which team is going to take what player, they are accurate in the sense that you can get a feel for the players that will be taken in the 1st round. I personally love reading mock drafts, especially if they have us taking a player I like. :up:

Misunderstanding. I dont think Mocks are silly, they have very good information on where guys will likely go as far as how they stack up. The problem here is that they often completely miss the true situations on teams, what they need, what they dont, what fits best where.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2006, 06:33 PM
BTW, we need a WR with a big frame. We already have our deep threat in Lee Evans. A younger Eric Mould's would be quite suiting, imo.. Sidney Rice is a pretty big WR I like, same with Jeff Samardizija. These 2 players may be around in the 1st half of the 2nd, but could also be taken late in the 1st.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Misunderstanding. I dont think Mocks are silly, they have very good information on where guys will likely go as far as how they stack up. The problem here is that they often completely miss the true situations on teams, what they need, what they dont, what fits best where.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. However, this team has many other needs, it's not just WR. There are alot of factors that are yet to be determined until we realize what position we need to focus on with our 1st pick. For instance, if we don't resign Nate Clements, we could very well be drafting a CB in the first round. Same scenario could happen if London Fletcher isn't resigned.

X-Era
11-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Sorry if I misunderstood you. However, this team has many other needs, it's not just WR. There are alot of factors that are yet to be determined until we realize what position we need to focus on with our 1st pick. For instance, if we don't resign Nate Clements, we could very well be drafting a CB in the first round. Same scenario could happen if London Fletcher isn't resigned.

I agree thats what I mentioned. Leon Hall is a very very good CB and well worth a mid 1st round pick.

YardRat
11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Jason Peters is not only a solid LT, hes a fantastic LT. Hes one of the best OT's we have EVER had on this team.

Please. At this point, that's just silly.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Leon Hall isn't going to last till the mid 1st round. He will most likely be gone in the top 10, imo.

LtFinFan66
11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Other reasons why mocks are clueless(especially this time of year)

1) They don't know where teams will finish
2) They don't know who may suffer a major injury which may change a teams needs
3) Possible retirements in the off season
4) They don't know if teams will take biggest need or BPA
5) No one truly knows a teams needs but that team
6) Coaching changes-Different coach, different type draft

Sorry Mel Kiper

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Other reasons why mocks are clueless(especially this time of year)

1) They don't know where teams will finish
2) They don't know who may suffer a major injury which may change a teams needs
3) Possible retirements in the off season
4) They don't know if teams will take biggest need or BPA
5) No one truly knows a teams needs but that team
6) Coaching changes-Different coach, different type draft

Sorry Mel Kiper

I don't think most people look at mock drafts with the intent of seeing who their team is going to pick. Obviously mock drafts aren't credible from that view point. However, you can still get a feel for which player is the highest ranked at his position, and you can kind of target who your team might take.

Alot of people complain about Mock Draft's at this time of the year, I'm not sure why. It's fun to see who the best players are at each position, jmo.

LtFinFan66
11-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I am not saying I don't enjoy them, just that they are worthless other than for entertainment value

BillsFever21
11-29-2006, 11:55 PM
We need another playmaker on offense in either the 1st or 2nd round. Evans is the only major playmaker we have. Parrish is a playmaker but nothing more then a slot WR in the passing game.

We either need another big WR opposite of Evans or a TE. Either one will work if it does the trick.

I like the idea of a nasty TE more though. You can generally pick up a great TE late in the 1st round or the 2nd round unless they are exceptions like Vernon Davis and a few others.

It doesn't even have to be a great TE. Just somebody reliable who is a threat in the passing game. If we can get that it will open Evans up even more and also help out the crapload of other average WR's on our team.

Some say all JP does is throw to Evans. That's the case because he is where most of are plays are designed to and there isn't anybody else worth a damn opposite of him. It sure hasn't hurt the Losman-Evans connection any. They have great chemistry together and will be one of the deadliest tandems in the league for years to come especially if we can pick up a good target to go along with him.

On the first day of the draft we need to focus on a TE/WR, OG and DT or maybe even LB depending on Spikes and Fletcher.

mysticsoto
11-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Anyone who thinks we are going to skip one of the top 3 WR's in this draft to take an OT is crazy!

Did these guys forget that LT is filled? Jason Peters is not only a solid LT, hes a fantastic LT. Hes one of the best OT's we have EVER had on this team. There is NO chance that we will be drafting a LT in the 1st round, RT? thats a possibility. However, the guys that are being discussed, Levi Brown, Sam Baker are LT prospects not RT prospects. I find it hard to believe that we would take a LT that high and then play that person at RT. Especially considering guys like Ginn Jr. and Dwayne Jarrett may be sitting mid round.

Either one of those guys helps us day one, where as a converted LT playing RT as a rookie may not help us for years.

Ginn has an amazing ability to get you serious YAC with his ridiculous moves and athletic ability. Jarrett is a proven long ball type of receiver who has the size and solid build to fight for the ball. Either adds another dimension to our vertical game. And as JP continues to develop, he will be even better at using the 2nd, and 3rd options. If we have that player a be a player who can score at any time, we free up double teams or simply throw to our other #1. It would be like having 2 #1 WR's and a serious threat for any defense.

DE, LB, CB (if Clements leaves) ALL come before an OT in this upcoming draft at least as the 1st round goes due to having the LT spot more than adequately filled.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/mocklinks.html

My 2 cents

Well put, though to be fair - mock drafts serve to show where one's weaknesses lie that need to be addressed. That being said, most mocks that I've seen, atleast, don't seem to watch Buffalo much so they don't really know what our needs are. Our Oline is much improved with the latest changes and Pennington is a good prospect who does seem to be getting better. Peters is solid at LT as you mention. If we need anything, it's help on the inside - RG especially. But the people that create these mocks don't watch Buffalo enough to know that. So they hand us an OT instead.

One thing I found interesting at nfldraftcountdown.com is that they have us picking later than the dolphins...Are they expecting us to end with a better record then? I guess they don't like what they see from the fins very much...