PDA

View Full Version : NO Sellouts = Bills leaving Buffalo

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Eight thousand, nine hundred tickets. That is how many tickets need to be sold before Thursday afternoon or the Bills game against the San Diego Chargers this Sunday will be blacked out.

The 8,900 number is the amount of unsold tickets as of the close of the ticket office on Wednesday. If the Bills are close to selling out when the Thursday deadline hits, they can ask for an extention until Friday.

"We're seeing some tickets move today (Monday) but it's still going to be an uphill battle for us," said Scott Berchtold, Bills Vice-President of Communications, "...we're looking at the possibility that it's going to be blacked out again this week."
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=42990

mchurchfie
11-29-2006, 11:55 PM
They have been pretty spoiled for quite awhile. For the last five years they have been putting a **** product out on the field and still selling out. I'm surprised it has lasted this long to be honest with you.

BillsFever21
11-30-2006, 12:02 AM
This isn't a good sign at all. We already have the cheapest tickets in the NFL and if we still can't even sell them out EVERY week then nobody will want to keep the team in Buffalo when Wilson dies.

It takes us selling out every week with our ticket prices to even match the same revenue of other stadiums who only pile in 60,000.

A new owner will never be able to get close to other teams as far as ticket prices go. If Buffalo can't put 75k in the stands to make up for some of the other teams with smaller stadium but with higer prices then we're in deep trouble.

And it shouldn't have anything to do with being a struggling team. There are many team with long struggles that still sell out their stadium every week with the tickets gone for every game early in the season.

Look at the Bengals. 10+ years of a crap team but they're stands were always packed. This isn't a good sign at all. Especially when we're looking at 8,000+ seats for the 2nd straight game even after we're on a winning streak and playing well. The other 2 home games are in the same shape. We might not sell out another game this season.

BillsFever21
11-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Take a look at it this way.

We have roughly 73,000 seats. Our average ticket price is around $47. If we sold EVERY ticket for that average price our total for a sellout would be $3,431,000.

Say you take the smallest stadium in the NFL(which is few are far between) which may be around 61,000 seats. Even if you went a cheap route for NFL tickets and their average ticket price was $60, which is probably around the middle of the pack in the NFL a sellout would give you 3,660,000.

With our ticket prices we need to sell every ticket to even generate about $200,000 less in ticket revenue then the smallest stadium in the middle of the pack in ticket prices. Imagine how much more revenue is generate by the bigger stadiums with the same ticket prices or the ones with even higher ticket prices.

If we lack 8,000 tickets and say we only sell 65,000 like last game was then we only generate 3,055,000.

So if we fail to sell say 7,000 tickets to a game and say the average person will spend another $20 on concessions that's another $140,000 less revenue. Then add in parking and possible sales at the retail shop and you're looking towards at least $800,000 less in revenue for EACH game just for our stadium and cheap ticket and cheaper parking rates.

Compare to a stadium like say Dallas with around 70,000 seats and an average ticket price of I'd say around $75. You're looking at $5,250,000 in revenue.

Our team is lucky for the chunks of revenue teams like Dallas has to contribute to teams like us from ticket sales.

There is more money to be had somewhere else because they could get way more for their ticket prices and luxury and club box sales along with everything else.

The only chance we have of somebody keeping our team in Buffalo after Wilson dies is to sell out every single game. If we can't do that with the cheapest ticket prices in the NFL then why would an owner with no attachements to WNY care about the legacy of the Bills when he can make more money someplace else?

With the state of ticket sales right now this isn't a good thing especially with the age of Wilson. We must turn this team around next season into a playoff team or we're in trouble. There also isn't many people staying/moving to WNY right now as it is. It could only get worse from here.

I hope to death our team never moves. The ones who don't wanna talk about it just doesn't want to admit it's a good possibility especially if we don't sell out every game.

I can see why Ralph Wilson can't afford the big signing bonuses like other clubs. Even with the salary cap some teams can still end up spending more then many other clubs. You can sign players to huge bonuses and when you release/extend them or what not it lowers your cap hit because that bonus money to be spread out over the contract gets wiped away off the cap but the player is still paid the money. It helps even it out but it doesn't mean that every team spends the exact same amount of money in the long run.

Look at somebody like Washington. They are always at the cap along with us but they have spent millions upon millions more on players then we have. It hasn't equaled to success but they still have an advantage over us when it comes to signing players. They are just signing the wrong ones.

If we lose 600k here and 600k there by not selling out you're talking millions by the end of the season.

Devin
11-30-2006, 12:39 AM
No win - No sellout

No sellout - no team.

Its a vicious cycle.

ICE74129
11-30-2006, 07:23 AM
It has been said for years now, esp last season and in this offseason....When Ralph wilson fields a WINNING team...the fans will start showing back up.

This old BS of 'Well show up regardless' Was fine before 9/11 and the hit the economy took. Ralph has 33 mill in available cap room next year. he had best sell some painting and raise about 50 mill for signing bonuses and use 30 mill of that cap room between FA's and the draft to improve this team.

if he doesn't then YES this team will be outta here. the Bills staying = Ralph wilsons willingness to spend a ton of money this next offseason.

BillsNick
11-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Relax homers, so we're 26 for 28 in sellouts. Jesus.

Cntrygal
11-30-2006, 07:41 AM

Thank you!!!!!![

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2006, 07:42 AM
While this is garbage we still average more fans at the game than most teams in the league.

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Eight thousand, nine hundred tickets. That is how many tickets need to be sold before Thursday afternoon or the Bills game against the San Diego Chargers this Sunday will be blacked out.

The 8,900 number is the amount of unsold tickets as of the close of the ticket office on Wednesday. If the Bills are close to selling out when the Thursday deadline hits, they can ask for an extention until Friday.

"We're seeing some tickets move today (Monday) but it's still going to be an uphill battle for us," said Scott Berchtold, Bills Vice-President of Communications, "...we're looking at the possibility that it's going to be blacked out again this week."
Have you bought a ticket?

northernbillfan
11-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Regardless of how the team is doing now or ever, if I lived within a four or five hour drive of Buffalo I would be at EVERY home game. I would definitely support My Buffalo Bills. I do my part by buying a jersey and hat every year, it's a small contribution, but it's the least I can do from northern Canada.

But that's just me...

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Regardless of how the team is doing now or ever, if I lived within a four or five hour drive of Buffalo I would be at EVERY home game. I would definitely support My Buffalo Bills. I do my part by buying a jersey and hat every year, it's a small contribution, but it's the least I can do from northern Canada.

But that's just me...
:hi5:

mybills
11-30-2006, 07:55 AM
There's an aweful lot of negative nancies out there who think we have no chance of beating SD, so that could be a factor for this game.

:sadwalk:

eyedog
11-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Once they turn it around and start winning again every game will sell out. It will take a little time to clean up TD's mess. It won't matter what time of the year the games are. If they even get themselves into legit play-off contention this year those late games will sell out. wins over S. Diego and N.Y. in the next two weeks will fill the stadium again.

BigBoltIke
11-30-2006, 08:50 AM
For a little perspective, SD has a 70,000 seat stadium and the cheap seats are around 80 bucks.

If I could go to a game for 50 bucks, I would own season tickets. instead of going to four games a year.

Buffalo is going to get moved to San Antonio.

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2006, 08:53 AM
For a little perspective, SD has a 70,000 seat stadium and the cheap seats are around 80 bucks.

If I could go to a game for 50 bucks, I would own season tickets. instead of going to four games a year.

You guys also make more per capita.

Edited for TOS Violation -DB

ICE74129
11-30-2006, 08:55 AM
I do have to agree with some of the (if not THE) cheapest seats in the NFL the fans need to be there. BUT Ralph has got to cut the **** and pay some big bucks and get some talent in here

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2006, 08:57 AM
San diego ATTENDANCE: 66,105

Buffalo ATTENDANCE: 63,608

You guys had less than 3000 more people at your last game. You only have a couple more million people to draw from....

Plus you are one of the best teams in the league. 4000 no shows? Great fans.

eyedog
11-30-2006, 08:58 AM
The talent { Clements} is here. Will Ralph pay him or let him walk ?

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2006, 09:00 AM
It isn't even talent per say. It is wins and losses. We have sucked for 7 years. Winning is everything. I am sure the Chargers werent selling out when they sucked for 10 years.

raphael120
11-30-2006, 10:43 AM
hey im doin my part, just got informed for christmas my gf and i are going to be at the titans game, drivin up from DC. WOO WOO!, GO BILLS!

camelcowboy
11-30-2006, 10:49 AM

Los Angelos Chargers has good ring to it.

Michael82
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
:ill:

blackonyx89
11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Blame Ralph. Aside from the Super Bowl years,he never really put together a team of that caliber in all the years he had the franchise. Tom Galisano or that Wegman's guy.......

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!! Get the franchise and do something to bring this town a Super Bowl!!!!

Michael82
11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Blame Ralph. Aside from the Super Bowl years,he never really put together a team of that caliber in all the years he had the franchise. Tom Galisano or that Wegman's guy.......

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!! Get the franchise and do something to bring this town a Super Bowl!!!!
The team is rebuilding and we are finally putting together wins. It's a young team that is on the rise slowly. I don't blame Ralph. I blame all the cheap fairweather fans. :fit:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Have you bought a ticket?

Yes! I'm a season tix holder, not to mention up in the Paul McGuire Press Box Club

gr8slayer
11-30-2006, 04:11 PM

But that's just me...
+1

gr8slayer
11-30-2006, 04:13 PM

Actually if we do move it wont be to SA, they wont put the money up that it will take to get the team. Their idea is to move a team into the Alamo Dome, its a great college football stadium, horrible NFL stadium.

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes! I'm a season tix holder, not to mention up in the Paul McGuire Press Box Club
Good work! :hi5:

The_Philster
11-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Los Angelos Chargers has good ring to it.
especially considering that they originated there..

SABuffalo786
11-30-2006, 08:47 PM

1. **** off. Sports fans from Southern California have absolutely no right to criticize anyone. You're neck and neck with people from South Florida as arguably being the worst fans in the world.

2. 80 dollars for a cheap seat? I'm sorry, but if that's the future of professional football, I want no part of it. A stadium full of people who can afford those kinds of prices is most likely a stadium with an absolutely dead atmosphere. An entire generation of fans is systematically being priced out of the game and I'm willing to bet any money that within 15 years the NFL and other like minded leagues are going to start feeling the effects of that with quiet and/or half empty stadiums and a significant decrease in public interest.

The_Philster
11-30-2006, 08:57 PM
2. 80 dollars for a cheap seat? I'm sorry, but if that's the future of professional football, I want no part of it. A stadium full of people who can afford those kinds of prices is most likely a stadium with an absolutely dead atmosphere. An entire generation of fans is systematically being priced out of the game and I'm willing to bet any money that within 15 years the NFL and other like minded leagues are going to start feeling the effects of that with quiet and/or half empty stadiums and a significant decrease in public interest.In all honesty, if you look at the buying power of the dollar in places like San Diego and compared it with the buying power of the dollar here in Buffalo...the difference likely isn't that great. Housing costs alone are higher to a ridiculous degree in Southern California

Bmax
12-01-2006, 12:21 PM

I read awhile back that the chargers were having problems getting a new stadium built in San Diego....They maybe have to move to a neighboring city or county to get the deal done...If true IN THE WORDS OF RON BURGUNDY ..''You stay classy San Diego"......

Bmax

SABuffalo786
12-02-2006, 01:47 AM
In all honesty, if you look at the buying power of the dollar in places like San Diego and compared it with the buying power of the dollar here in Buffalo...the difference likely isn't that great. Housing costs alone are higher to a ridiculous degree in Southern California

I'm just saying, a town like Buffalo just doesn't jive with what the NFL is turning into/wants to be.

Barring a saviour purchase from a guy like Golisano or someone of similar local standing, I just can't see the team staying long term. The only viable solution would be if the fans bought the team a la Green Bay but now that's been outlawed by the corporate twits at the NFL, we're in serious trouble IMO...

BillsFever21
12-07-2006, 07:50 PM

How many of them 26 sellouts were from Ralph Wilson buying the last 2 or 3 thousands tickets or even a company bailing us out and buying them.

I can think of at least 3 games a year where either Ralph Wilson or a company buys the last 3 thousands tickets so the game will be aired on TV. Usually at least a game or two Ralph Wilson will even buy the final few thousands tickets.

It's looking like the companies aren't willing to buy up these tickets anymore to put the game on TV as much anymore and Ralph Wilson or a company certaintly isn't gonna buy 5,000-10,000 tickets to put the game on TV.

Our ticket sales have went way down this year. Before we were looking at 3,000 or so tickets left for 2 or 3 games a year. Now this year it's 7,000-10,000 tickets. That is a huge dropoff.

If you factor in all them games out of them 26 sellouts over the last 3.5 years that either Ralph Wilson or a company bought up the tickets so it would be on TV then we would've had anywhere from 6-10 of them games would've been blacked out. At least 2 games a year we sold out from somebody bailing us out.

We will have 4 games this year that will be blacked out so that will make 28 out of 32 games. Without that help then it would've been about 20 or 22 out of 32 games that wern't sold out.

And as I said in another post earlier in this thread we have the cheapest tickets in the NFL. Even IF we sell out every game we still don't generate the same revenue as most stadiums that only seat 62,000 people.

Our average price is around $50. That is cheap compared to 28 other stadiums in the NFL. Even with them cheap prices we still can't sell out every home game on our own without help from Wilson or a local company.

We damn well better sell out on OUR OWN without any help from a new owner that will take over to keep the team in Buffalo. That is the only chance we have. He could get $20 more a ticket in most other wealthier cities. Even right there he is taking a loss no matter what.

Had we at least sold all but 2 or 3 thousand tickets to all these games then somebody would've bought the tickets up.

The ticket sales have been so bad even after showing some improvement and after playing better for the last 6 weeks and we still couldn't sell anymore tickets.

I thought for sure after beating the Texans like we did we would sell out the Jaguars game. Then after beating the Jaguars I thought there would be no chance in hell we wouldn't sell out or come close to selling out the Chargers game. That didn't make one bit of a difference.

This city can only support 1 team at at ime where the games will be sold out. Right now it's the Sabres. Whoever is doing better will make the other team suffer. I just hope it's the Bills that can improve because if they moved I probably wouldn't even watch many football games again.

BidsJr
12-07-2006, 08:26 PM
In all honesty, if you look at the buying power of the dollar in places like San Diego and compared it with the buying power of the dollar here in Buffalo...the difference likely isn't that great. Housing costs alone are higher to a ridiculous degree in Southern California

The buying power of the dollar isn't the issue, it's the availability of the dollar. SoCal has so much more money to spend it ain't even close. When you are talking about people with 6 figure incomes $30 extra a ticket is pennies.

Michael82
12-07-2006, 10:52 PM
This city can only support 1 team at a time where the games will be sold out. Right now it's the Sabres. Whoever is doing better will make the other team suffer. I just hope it's the Bills that can improve because if they moved I probably wouldn't even watch many football games again.

That's exactly what I've been saying. As of now, Buffalo can only support one of the two big teams. If one of them struggles, the other one will get all the crowds. If they both get hot, then it will get interesting. IMO what is killing the walk-in crowds at the Bills games is the fact that every single person in Buffalo and near Buffalo is stocking up on Buffaslug merchandise and tickets to the Sabres game. Therefore, they don't have any money for Bills tickets or Bills stuff.

jamze132
12-08-2006, 04:07 AM
I know a lot of people are petitioning for Golisano or Wegman to buy the team so it stays in Buffalo but know one really knows what the NFL's stance on the issue may be when Ralph does die. For all we know, depending on what happens with Ralph's will, Goodall might make it a sticking point that if someone outside of Buffalo wants to buy the franchise, they must keep it in Buffalo. Obviously if that happened, someone who is very rich and loves traditional values would have to step up, but it's not completely out of the question.

The_Philster
12-08-2006, 04:12 AM
The buying power of the dollar isn't the issue, it's the availability of the dollar. SoCal has so much more money to spend it ain't even close. When you are talking about people with 6 figure incomes $30 extra a ticket is pennies.
and why do people get paid more in places like Southern California? Because the cost of living is higher there than it is here. If our cost of living went up in WNY, we would have to hope our wages would go up as well....and more peole could afford higher priced tickets

ddaryl
12-08-2006, 06:24 AM
and why do people get paid more in places like Southern California? Because the cost of living is higher there than it is here. If our cost of living went up in WNY, we would have to hope our wages would go up as well....and more peole could afford higher priced tickets

there is a lot more demand for skilled labor and white collar labor, where as Buffalo is predominatly a blue collar town and doesn't have as much demand for skilled labor. Not many people actually want to live in WNY either. The amount of taxes in NYS make it very unattractive for most companies, then add in our winters where snow removal and absenteeism from snow days are increased whic decreases a companies bottom line.

There might come a day when Buffalo is so much cheaper then other alternative cities that industry might come back. It all starts with political and tax overhaul though.

ICE74129
12-08-2006, 07:04 AM

Start fielding a winning team and this wont happen. Christ its a simple concept. Money is too tight in WNY to keep spending on a **** product year in and year out.

Ralph has HAD blind loyalty for years now, its time he opens up his pocket books and rewards the fans.

gr8slayer
12-08-2006, 09:39 AM
That's exactly what I've been saying. As of now, Buffalo can only support one of the two big teams. If one of them struggles, the other one will get all the crowds. If they both get hot, then it will get interesting. IMO what is killing the walk-in crowds at the Bills games is the fact that every single person in Buffalo and near Buffalo is stocking up on Buffaslug merchandise and tickets to the Sabres game. Therefore, they don't have any money for Bills tickets or Bills stuff.
Buffaslug? A local thing?

Historian
12-09-2006, 06:31 AM
One thing that would help boost season ticket sales, is if they took the preseason game requirement out of it....it turns people off, being forced to pay for two absolutely meaningless games.

Take the PSGs out of the package, or make them optional, and offer kids prices for both.

I guarantee you would sell both games out and still come out ahead.

The_Philster
12-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Look at the Sabres' new logo

mybills
12-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Was Ralph considered cheap during the SB run?

gr8slayer
12-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Look at the Sabres' new logo
Ah, thank you.

Dozerdog
12-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Don't forget the Bills were rerally screwed on the schedule this year. 5 home games from mid-November on. 4 home games between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Michael82
12-09-2006, 09:53 AM
The Sabres new slug logo. :ill: That's my pet name for it.

Michael82
12-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Don't forget the Bills were rerally screwed on the schedule this year. 5 home games from mid-November on. 4 home games between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Yeah, but if we were playoff bound, the 2nd half of our schedule would have favored us because the games at the end of the season would mean a lot. Plus with the late season games, it really gives us a home field avantage in a way, because of the cold weather and all. And I don't know about you, but I love the games in November and December, especially when it snows.