PDA

View Full Version : Bills’ Losman Emerges From the Class of 2004

JoeMama
11-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Good read from the NYT.

Bills’ Losman Emerges From the Class of 2004

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/30/sports/30bills.1.600.jpg
J.P. Losman has led the Bills to three victories in their past four games. Two victories came on the final possession.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y., Nov. 29 — J. P. Losman was the last of four quarterbacks selected in the first round of the 2004 N.F.L. draft, but in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world of pro football, there was grumbling in Buffalo that the Bills had squandered their pick.

What a difference a month has made for Losman. Buffalo has won three of its past four games, and Losman engineered the winning score during the final possession in two consecutive games. The Bills (5-6) have managed back-to-back wins for the first time in more than a year, renewing hopes for a playoff berth, their first in seven years.

A wild-card berth will probably be determined here Sunday against the San Diego Chargers (9-2). The game will feature another quarterback selected in 2004, the Chargers’ Philip Rivers, taken fourth over all.

Young quarterbacks aside, the similarity of the teams’ offenses end there. San Diego is the N.F.L.’s highest-scoring team, averaging 32.1 points a game; Buffalo scores 17.4.

Although he is not close with Rivers, or Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger — the other quarterbacks taken in the first round in 2004 — Losman said he had monitored their careers.

“We all keep tabs on each other,” said Losman, who was the 22nd pick over all. “It’s all just a curiosity thing, really. It’s fun and exciting to see who’s doing what — who was right, who was wrong.”

At the moment, Losman and Rivers are doing right; Roethlisberger and Manning have had their stars dimmed this season. Rivers’s passer rating is 94.5, seventh in the league. Losman (84.1) ranks 12th, while Manning (76.0) is 23rd and Roethlisberger (72.3) 24th.

Roethlisberger, selected 11th in 2004, became a starter as a rookie and led Pittsburgh to a Super Bowl title last season. But this season he leads the N.F.L. in interceptions with 19.

Manning was picked first over all in 2004 and became a starter late in his rookie season. He led the Giants to the playoffs in 2005, but has foundered, throwing 15 interceptions, and the Giants (6-5) have lost three consecutive games.

Rivers, brought along the slowest of the four, is having the best season. He had played only four games and thrown 30 passes before becoming San Diego’s starter after the departure of Drew Brees in the off-season. Over 11 games, he has completed 65 percent of his passes and has just six interceptions.

Losman’s career has been a series of ups and downs. He was named the starter in 2005 after Drew Bledsoe’s departure to Dallas. But after a 1-3 start, he was replaced by the journeyman Kelly Holcomb.

“When you lose, the quarterback is going to take all this blame,” Losman said. “Sometimes it’s rightfully so. But 99 percent of the time you needed everybody on this team for things to work. I’m talking about offense, defense, special teams.”

Named the starter again to begin 2006, Losman seemed at a nadir only three weeks ago. In games against Green Bay and Indianapolis, he attempted a total of 27 passes.

But a week after a 17-16 loss to the Colts, who were unbeaten at the time, the Bills’ offensive coordinator, Steve Fairchild, cut his quarterback loose in a 24-21, last-minute victory at Houston.

Losman threw for a career-high 340 yards to six receivers. He had a career-high passer rating (111.7) and tossed the winning touchdown pass to Peerless Price in the end zone with 13 seconds remaining.

Last week against Jacksonville, a team with a legitimate shot at a playoff berth, Losman completed 21 of 28 passes in a 27-24 win, including a 30-yard strike to Roscoe Parrish that set up a winning 42-yard field goal by Rian Lindell as time expired.

On the pass to Parrish, Losman rolled left on a broken play and waved for his receiver to go downfield. Parrish made an leaping catch, but after practice Wednesday he gave credit to Losman.

“It’s sort of like backyard football to me,” Parrish said. “I try to get open once I see him scrambling to my side. Somehow he just sees me downfield and always completes the ball to me.”

Among the quarterback class of 2004, Losman is the best scrambler, but he has learned to stay in the pocket, too. Against Houston and Jacksonville, he completed more than 70 percent of his passes.

“We’ve shown the coaches we want some more down-the-field throws,” Losman said. “We’re starting to get those, and we’ll have to continue to connect or we’ll have to cut back.”

Buffalo’s turnaround coincided with an offensive line shakeup following three straight losses in October. In order to better protect Losman’s blind side, left guard Tutan Reyes was replaced by left tackle Mike Gandy. Right tackle Jason Peters filled Gandy’s vacant spot at left tackle, and the rookie Terrance Pennington took Peters’ spot at right tackle.

During the Bills’ first seven games, Losman was sacked 21 times and threw 6 interceptions. But he was not sacked against Jacksonville, and he has thrown only two interceptions during the four games since the offensive line was retooled after three straight losses in October.

Bills Coach Dick Jauron has kept tabs on the careers of quarterbacks selected with Losman in the first round.

Asked about similarities between Rivers and Losman, he said, “It appears to me both of them are developing into leaders on the field.” He added, “Two, in my opinion, good young quarterbacks.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/sports/football/30bills.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

It's interesting to see JP Losman actually get acknowledged for once as one of the 2004 first round quarterbacks -- let alone praised for improved play.

Virtually all the pundits forget there was another quarterback taken after Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, & Ben Roethlisberger.

mybills
11-30-2006, 08:33 AM
He got them down field to win 3 of the last 4, but he got them down field in all 4. Lindell should've made that field goal.

HHURRICANE
11-30-2006, 08:41 AM
About time someone in the media says what I have been saying.

JoeMama
11-30-2006, 09:03 AM
He got them down field to win 3 of the last 4, but he got them down field in all 4. Lindell should've made that field goal.

Actually, I hadn't thought of that but it's true.

JP Losman did put the Bills in position to take the lead against the Colts w/ under four minutes remaining.

Unfortunately Rian Lindell botched the kick.

That makes four straight games JP put the Bills in a position to either win &/or take the lead late in the fourth quarter.

Anyway, good observation mybills.

Dude is playing like a mini John Elway recently in the fourth quarter. I hope to God he keeps it up.

Jimbuktu
11-30-2006, 09:23 AM
GREAT read, thanks for posting

Meathead
11-30-2006, 09:26 AM
:rockout: *****es

justasportsfan
11-30-2006, 09:46 AM
When you watch both the texans and Jaguars game, in the series' that we had to punt the ball, it's was running game that sputtered not the passing game. When we decided to run to eat up the clock we went nowhere. Check out the play by play in NFL.com. Our running game went for negative yards several times against the jags. That almost never happens to Rivers and the chargers which makes Rivers' life easier and run trick or play actions.

ICE74129
11-30-2006, 10:50 AM
When you watch both the texans and Jaguars game, in the series' that we had to punt the ball, it's was running game that sputtered not the passing game. When we decided to run to eat up the clock we went nowhere. Check out the play by play in NFL.com. Our running game went for negative yards several times against the jags. That almost never happens to Rivers and the chargers which makes Rivers' life easier and run trick or play actions.

But don't you know its JPs fault the run game didn't work?

ublinkwescore
11-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Actually, I hadn't thought of that but it's true.

JP Losman did put the Bills in position to take the lead against the Colts w/ under four minutes remaining.

Unfortunately Rian Lindell botched the kick.

That makes four straight games JP put the Bills in a position to either win &/or take the lead late in the fourth quarter.

Anyway, good observation mybills.

Dude is playing like a mini John Elway recently in the fourth quarter. I hope to God he keeps it up.

There was 6:22 remaining - plenty of time for Indy to march down the field on us - which they did with out a problem after we turned the ball over to them on the missed field goal attempt. our only hope would have been that we make the field goal, pin them deep in their territory, which would have killed like an extra 10 seconds, and then hope that field goal lit a fire under our D's @$$es.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2006, 11:14 AM
The Indy loss is on the offensive play calling, not Lindell. The D played well enough to win, but our running game was relatively ineffective, and Losman was so wrapped in chains that he did well to even get us in field goal range. I'll never understand, against the Colts' defense, why Losman was shackled tighter than a prisoner at Gitmo.

Yasgur's Farm
11-30-2006, 11:27 AM

But don't you know its JPs fault the run game didn't work?Obviously the coaches called running plays because they don't trust JP... That's FACT!

-Sarcasm off-

The_Philster
11-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Nice read...but you can't post full articles like that

Bling
11-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Obviously the coaches called running plays because they don't trust JP... That's FACT!

-Sarcasm off-

:rofl:

Goobylal
11-30-2006, 08:16 PM
In the Colts game, Lindell BLEW the kick all on his own. I know that JP got sacked on a play where Freeney was matched-up with Royal, but a 41 yarder in a dome should be a gimmee. Still though, Manning marched the Colts down into scoring range at the end of the game, and they likely would have won anyway.

But JP's been playing very well lately, after the O-line changes were made. Moving Peters to LT and Gandy to LG were instant upgrades there, but Pennington starting at RT was a major downgrade, coupled with Villarrial being a shell of his former self. Once Villarrial went down and was replaced, coupled with Pennington getting more PT, the line has improved dramatically.

YardRat
11-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Rivers, brought along the slowest of the four, is having the best season.

I still maintain the biggest mistake with Losman to date was inserting him into the starting line-up too early.

Among the quarterback class of 2004, Losman is the best scrambler, but he has learned to stay in the pocket, too. Against Houston and Jacksonville, he completed more than 70 percent of his passes.

Props to Jauron and Co. for their handling of JP to date.

It's interesting to see JP Losman actually get acknowledged for once as one of the 2004 first round quarterbacks -- let alone praised for improved play.

Virtually all the pundits forget there was another quarterback taken after Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, & Ben Roethlisberger.

Up until the last month, JP's performance has been pretty forgettable.

What a difference a month has made for Losman. Buffalo has won three of its past four games, and Losman engineered the winning score during the final possession in two consecutive games. The Bills (5-6) have managed back-to-back wins for the first time in more than a year, renewing hopes for a playoff berth, their first in seven years.

The last four weeks, JP's pretty much been money with the game on the line, late. Can't ask for anything more out of any QB. If he continues at this pace, the team could be set at QB for quite a while.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Goobylal
11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
WRT Rivers, take a look at his supporting cast! He's got an excellent O-line (that hasn't missed a beat after losing OL coach Hudson Houck to the Dols last year), the best RB in the NFL and a future HOF'er in LDT, the best TE in the NFL in Gates, a great FB in Lorenzo Neal, and a good and tall WR corps led by Keenan McCardell.

If JP had those weapons, he'd be a stats monster.

Speaking of a stats monster, what about former Chargers QB Drew Brees? He's on-pace to eclipse 5,000 yards passing.