PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild comes to Billszone for coaching advice!!

HHURRICANE
11-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Losman said there are a number of factors at play here. Offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild has put an emphasis on more five-step drops as opposed to seven-step drops, where the line simply couldn't hold up long enough in protection; Losman is reading defenses a little better and getting rid of the ball quicker; he's also done more moving around in and out of the pocket to avoid pressure; and running backs Thomas and Willis McGahee have been stronger on blitz pickups.

I'm not sure which zoner it was but I read it on this site more than once! Is fairchild that dumb. Geez, we have been saying that 7 step drops don't make any sense since week 1!!!!! Wow, Losman moving around and out of the pocket helps.

I though I liked Fairchild but maybe he's alot thicker than I thought!!

JJamezz
11-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I think that was all intentional, and the whole idea was to get JP into the habit of staying in the pocket.. In order to 'break' him of his old tendencies, they had him sticking in there no matter what happened - if they could have gotten away with tying him to Fowler with a leash or something, they probably would have...

I don't think winning was as important to them early in the season as seeing if JP's instincts could be retrained. Now that they see that they are, at least somewhat, they're slowly releasing the reigns. Just MO.

PECKERWOOD
11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
I am Steve Fairchild, thanks for all of your input guys.

scott51
11-30-2006, 10:14 AM
I am Steve Fairchild, thanks for all of your input guys.

Hey Steve how 'bout some tickets?

justasportsfan
11-30-2006, 10:14 AM
JP is one of the most accurate passers on the run this early in his carreer and with more experience he will get better at it. He has to learn how to be accurate in the pocket otherwise he's gonna end up like Flutie (no way he can be compared to Vicks scrambling ability) who was very inaccurate in the pocket and if there was no one open he'd take off running the ball.

JP needs to be able to throw from the pocket like Farve, Elway and Steve Young if he is to ressemble any of them. Once he does well in the pocket we can start designing roll out plays.

One thing I've noticed is taht Fairchild hasn't designed plays for him to run the ball in the red zone. He has to be able to throw first to keep teams guessing. The throw to Price in the endzone was one of the very few ( Drew like thread passes during his prime) thread like passes Losmans made. We need more of those throws from the pocket.

ICE74129
11-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Losman said there are a number of factors at play here. Offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild has put an emphasis on more five-step drops as opposed to seven-step drops, where the line simply couldn't hold up long enough in protection; Losman is reading defenses a little better and getting rid of the ball quicker; he's also done more moving around in and out of the pocket to avoid pressure; and running backs Thomas and Willis McGahee have been stronger on blitz pickups.

I'm not sure which zoner it was but I read it on this site more than once! Is fairchild that dumb. Geez, we have been saying that 7 step drops don't make any sense since week 1!!!!! Wow, Losman moving around and out of the pocket helps.

I though I liked Fairchild but maybe he's alot thicker than I thought!!

Wow now what poster has been saying that all along? Hummmm....

madness
11-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Losman is reading defenses a little better and getting rid of the ball quicker; he's also done more moving around in and out of the pocket to avoid pressure; and running backs Thomas and Willis McGahee have been stronger on blitz pickups.

Without all the above mentioned, especially Losman's read progression, more five step drops would have been premature. Good job bashing the coaching staff when they were actually doing the right thing and made the changes at the correct time.