PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly to co-own Busch team with Cicci

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-02-2003, 02:04 PM
LAS VEGAS - Jim Kelly's NASCAR Busch Series team is taking shape and should make its debut next month at Darlington Raceway.

Kelly, the former NFL quarterback with the Buffalo Bills, is the minority owner of Frank Cicci Racing with Jim Kelly, which will field cars for at least 10 races in 2003. Clay Rogers will be the driver, with sponsorship from LesCare Kitchens.

Kelly said Saturday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway that the deal was finalized only a few days ago. Rogers and the team will make their debut in the DarlingtonRaceway.com 200 on March 15. Kelly won't be there because of a prior commitment, but he will attend the team's next race, the Channellock 250 at Bristol Motor Speedway on March 22.

"I hope everybody has the same attitude going in that I've always had when I played football," Kelly said. "You just keep going, keep pushing. As long as you're focused and never say die, that's all I'm looking for.

"I want excitement. I'm not the type that just sits back. That's the way my life was with the no-huddle offense. I've always been fast-paced, and I want everybody to have the same enthusiasm I have."

Kelly, who said he has been a long-time race fan and is good friends with Winston Cup driver Mike Skinner, waved the green flag at the Winston Cup race at Watkins Glen last year. He was asked about possible involvement in the sport, and the proverbial ball got rolling.

He eventually became partners with Cicci, a long-time Busch Series car owner. Kelly said 10 races are schedule, but they are talking to some other sponsors to run the rest of the races.

Kelly isn't quite ready to become a sole owner of a team.

I guess Jim Kelly is one of them rednecks who likes racing too :D (http://nascar.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&expire=-1&urlID=5571065&fb=Y&partnerID=2503)

Typ0
03-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Pretty difficult to be an independant team on any NASCAR circuit.