PDA

View Full Version : To those who think TD has made bad draft decisions..

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Interesting tidbit. The Browns have taken bad drafting to a new level...

14 of the 17 players selected in the 1999 and 2000 NFL Drafts by the Cleveland Browns are no longer with the Browns, and are out of the NFL.

TD may have a few picks that were not the greatest (Denney especially comes to mind), but he is a total rocket scientist compared to the Brown's GM!!! :D

clumping platelets
03-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Sometimes players take time to develop. IF Denney is working in the weight room this offseason, he could end up being a contributor.

Doc
03-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Who in their right mind has complained about TD's draft picks?! Sure Denney didn't set the world on fire last year, but neither did Moulds or Price for that matter their rookie years. Outside of that, he's done a fantastic job.

Typ0
03-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Donohoe has grabbed some good players in the draft. Seems that when he picks them everyone is furious though :D.

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm not naming anybody, but there have been a few folks that have complained about some of TD's draft day decisions :rolleyes:

Typ0
03-02-2003, 02:13 PM
My guess is those are the same people that don't do anything but complain anyway ;).

justasportsfan
03-02-2003, 02:17 PM
It's plain to see that you guys are talking about me. The only ones I've complained about are Josh Reed , Wire ,Clements and Mike Williams.

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Now consider the fact the Browns still managed to make the playoffs last year, despite such a dismal draft history, and it demonstrates a team is built via free agency a lot easier than by the draft.

Yet another reason we need some big name players to be signed!!!

justasportsfan
I don't like Thomas either, he only had one INT last year. Leave Watson here.

ArcticWildMan
LOL!! Actually, I wasn't even talking about you justa. I had a few other folks in mind. ;)

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The only ones I've complained about are Josh Reed , Wire ,Clements and Mike Williams.

:lol:

Novacane
03-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Don't forget about Travis henry.........that was a horrible waste of a second round pick:eek:

Schobel94
03-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Or Jennings, Sullivan, and Spoon...

Tatonka
03-02-2003, 05:39 PM
2001 draft -
1st round - clements
2nd round - schobel, henry
3rd round - edwards, jennings
4th round - spoon
5th round - sullivan
6th round - driver, o'leary, williams
7th round - germany, robertson

the last 4 picks, coming from the 6th and 7th round are no longer with the team. the first 5 rounds have produced part of the core of this team, and the first 6th rounder, driver, is a back up.

2002 draft -
1st round - williams
2nd round - reed, denny
3rd round - wire
5th round - bannan
6th round - thomas
7th round - pucillo, wright, ferguson, stevenson

all of them made the team. none of the 7th rounders were big contributors, but all the others were, save denny. jury is still out on denny and bannan. i, unlike some others here, think that bannan showed some promise last year. i like the guy and i think him and edwards will be good for the DT rotation.

anyone that is unhappy with those drafts is nuts. you can say oh well, williams is a no brainer.. um, we could have had that holdout that the vikings got, mckinnie...or reed fell to us, so we had to take him.. BULL... there were alot of teams above us that could have too and didnt..

trading down the first year and still getting clements, instead of drafting kenyetta walker, which everyone and their brother thought we would do, ended up getting us Clements AND HENRY. that was one of the key moves made. we got sullivan and jennings in that draft.. they are rocks..

oh.. ps.. we already made our first round pick this year.. drew bledsoe..

i would say they are doing just fine.

Michael82
03-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Hey AWM...you aren't talking about a certain Chicken Wing Man, are you? :rolleyes:

Stewie
03-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Now consider the fact the Browns still managed to make the playoffs last year, despite such a dismal draft history, and it demonstrates a team is built via free agency a lot easier than by the draft.

Yet another reason we need some big name players to be signed!!!

Also consider the fact that Cleveland was roughly 20 million over the salary cap going into this offseason. FA isn't all its cracked up to be.

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Hey AWM...you aren't talking about a certain Chicken Wing Man, are you? :rolleyes:

:gag:

:mods:

Billsouth
03-02-2003, 07:51 PM
dont forget that the only reason we got travis henry was because Td worked a deal with tampa on the first round. they took our pick and drafted kenyatta walker and we dropped a few spots picked up their number 2 and drafted clements and henry. we also got sullivan and jennings in later rounds and both are better than walker.

TD also stole bledsoe and that should be considered in evaluating his draft. he was able to do so by keeping the number 4 and sending the pats this years pick which is number 13.

PLUS he kicked ass in free agency last year. while robinson turned out to not be so great he was better than what we had. hollis, ahanatou, rogers (who did return 2 ko for touchdowns 1 in preseason and 1 in regular season), FLETCH. we went from the worst team in the league to a playoff contender in 1 year while at the same time getting out of jail.