PDA

View Full Version : Sunday

scott51
12-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I have been thinking about the Bills taking on LT and the red hot San Diego Chargers. I have been trying to figure out a way that we can pull up a huge upset! I realize there is a good chance we are going to get spanked! Here is what I came up with to possibly hang with the Bolts:

Step 1: Contain LT! Lets face it, he is going to break some big plays, don't let that get the D down and try to limit the number of big plays!

Step 2: Force Phillip Rivers to throw the football! I want to see #22 completely shut down McCardell (unless he's injured, haven't heard) and for Gods sake, TKO and Fletcher MUST shut down Gates!!!

Step 3: JP and company must have a game like they did in Indy and the last couple of weeks!

IMO, if we can do these 3 things, we should be able to keep the game close and maybe steal a victory. I realize that this will be difficult since we are facing one of the toughest D's in the NFL right now. I believe this will be a HUGE test for JP. Lets see how he faces some tough competition and see how he reacts when they force some TO's.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Read my thread. We completely disagree except for #3.

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
stack the line and force SD to beat us throwing the ball. It easier said than done but we have to try to make them one dimensional.

Throwing the ball does not take a whole lot of time off the clock. Even if they score there should be a lot of time left .

If and when we get the ball , we then run the ball or do whatever it takes to control the time. This keeps their O off the field and we keep the game close enough to pull an upset in the 4th qtr.

It will be tough for our O to run against them or throw. It's up to our special teams to get our O great field position. I'd be satisfied if this game comes down to fg's.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Letting Rivers gain momentum throwing is a huge mistake.

The games that San Diego has struggled in were where he didn't get into a rhythm. Oakland last week. Letting LT run for 6 yards a carry takes alot more time off the clock than letting Rivers throw for 30 yards down field.

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Letting Rivers gain momentum throwing is a huge mistake.

The games that San Diego has struggled in were where he didn't get into a rhythm. Oakland last week. Letting LT run for 6 yards a carry takes alot more time off the clock than letting Rivers throw for 30 yards down field.
Rivers is more dangerous when LT is ripping off the DL. I'll take my chances with Rivers throwing than rather than LT running . Running the ball is gonna get our DL tired eventually. If we can force SD to throw, our D is better off.

This may all be a moot point if LT ends up killing us because it's just gonna open things up for Rivers.

I guess we both agree about LT running the ball takes time off the clock which is why we should force Rivers to throw.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Rivers is more dangerous when LT is ripping off the DL. I'll take my chances with Rivers throwing than rather than LT running . Running the ball is gonna get our DL tired eventually. If we can force SD to throw, our D is better off.

This may all be a moot point if LT ends up killing us because it's just gonna open things up for Rivers.

I guess we both agree about LT running the ball takes time off the clock which is why we should force Rivers to throw.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO STOP THE RUN. Why would you think that?!

Last 4 games:

Green Bay - 147 yards rushing
Indy - 148 yards rushing
Houston - 188 yards rushing
Jacksonville - 207 yards rushing

I hate when people post cliches. "Run and stop the run"

LT is going to have a huge day against our crappy Run D!!!! PERIOD.

Keep them one dimensional and keep the clock moving.

It's worked for us the last 4 weeks.

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
WE ARE NOT GOING TO STOP THE RUN. Why would you think that?!

Last 4 games:

Green Bay - 147 yards rushing
Indy - 148 yards rushing
Houston - 188 yards rushing
Jacksonville - 207 yards rushing

I hate when people post cliches. "Run and stop the run"

LT is going to have a huge day against our crappy Run D!!!! PERIOD..Where did I say we are going to stop the run? We gotta at least try to make them one dimensional and like said I'd rather throwing. Hellooo!!!

Keep them one dimensional and keep the clock moving.

It's worked for us the last 4 weeks.
So you're saying keep them one dimensional running? You are not gonna make them one dimensional if LT is killing our DL? The run opens up the pass , it's that simple. If they are also one dimensional running the ball. who's controlling the clock? They are.

mybills
12-01-2006, 10:51 AM
So you're saying keep them one dimensional running? You are not gonna make them one dimensional if LT is killing our DL? The run opens up the pass , it's that simple. If they are also one dimensional running the ball. who's controlling the clock? They are.
I hope he answers soon, cuz I'm confused about that, too. :dizzy:

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 11:54 AM

The run hasn't opened up the pass the last 4 weeks for our competition so I'll go on history. Is that simple enough.

I assume that when we get the ball that we will do something with it as well.

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
The run hasn't opened up the pass the last 4 weeks for our competition so I'll go on history. Is that simple enough.

I assume that when we get the ball that we will do something with it as well. the people we're facing this week isn't the team we're facing this Sunday. You cannot tell me that LT is not affecting Rivers play in a huge positive way. Like I siad, I'd rather have Rivers try to beat us than LT. It's gonna be harder to stop LT but you at least have to try instead of easily giving up just because he's that good.

Historian
12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't have a warm and fuzzy in regards to this weekend.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 12:19 PM
the people we're facing this week isn't the team we're facing this Sunday. You cannot tell me that LT is not affecting Rivers play in a huge positive way. Like I siad, I'd rather have Rivers try to beat us than LT. It's gonna be harder to stop LT but you at least have to try instead of easily giving up just because he's that good.

You are talking about a team that ranks #2 in rushing facing a team that is horrible against the run. I didn't say the the Bills are going to install runway lights for LT but it's silly to think we are going to keep him from rushing for 150 yards plus when you see what we've allowed against lesser rushing teams.

My point is that if you let Rivers get comfortable on Sunday we are dead. Rivers is the key to this game. Period.

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 12:23 PM
You are talking about a team that ranks #2 in rushing facing a team that is horrible against the run. I didn't say the the Bills are going to install runway lights for LT but it's silly to think we are going to keep him from rushing for 150 yards plus when you see what we've allowed against lesser rushing teams.

My point is that if you let Rivers get comfortable on Sunday we are dead. Rivers is the key to this game. Period.

Hurricane, where did I say we are going to stop the run that easily. If there is anything we need to concentrate more is stopping LT and let Rivers throw. It's that simple.

I don't care if Rivers get's comfy in the back as long as they are throwing more than running. That's my point. Dare Rivers to beat us instead of LT.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Hurricane, where did I say we are going to stop the run that easily. If there is anything we need to concentrate more is stopping LT and let Rivers throw. It's that simple.

I don't care if Rivers get's comfy in the back as long as they are throwing more than running. That's my point. Dare Rivers to beat us instead of LT.

San Francisco went with that game plan and kept LT to 71 yards on 21 carries (3.3 YPA) and that resulted in a win, for San Diego 48-19!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20061015025

Good thing you're not the coach.

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 12:46 PM
San Francisco went with that game plan and kept LT to 71 yards on 21 carries (3.3 YPA) and that resulted in a win, for San Diego 48-19!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20061015025

Good thing you're not the coach.Haha! You're the one confusing yourself here.

I don't care what SF did. They are not the bills. I like our db's better than SF. I'd rather take my chances playing the run and let Rivers throw.

SF ran 14 times compared to 31 atts passing.

Time Of Pos. SD 35:48 SF 24:12 .... that's almost one qtr.

I'll take A-Train + Willis over Gore.

Even if he scores, throwing gets us the ball back with a lot of time. Yeah, lets play the pass that way LT can control the clock. :rolleyes:

RBI90
12-01-2006, 12:50 PM
I also like our rb's better than SF.

Really? I'd take Frank Gore over Willis McGahee!

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Really? I'd take Frank Gore over Willis McGahee!

+ A-Train .

mybills
12-01-2006, 12:56 PM
I'd take anyone over Al Gore. :D

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Time Of Pos. SD 35:48 SF 24:12 .... that's almost one qtr.

I'll take A-Train + Willis over Gore.

Even if he scores, throwing gets us the ball back with a lot of time. Yeah, lets play the pass that way LT can control the clock. :rolleyes:

You are going to need a fire extinguisher after I get done with you on this thread!!

Time of possession for the Bills the last 4 weeks:

Bills 25 Green Bay 35
Bills 26 Indy 34
Bills 27 Houston 33
Bills 28 Jax 32

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 01:11 PM
You are going to need a fire extinguisher after I get done with you on this thread!!

Time of possession for the Bills the last 4 weeks:

Bills 25 Green Bay 35
Bills 26 Indy 34
Bills 27 Houston 33
Bills 28 Jax 32why are you comparing SD to those teams?

You said we should control the clock. How are we gonna do that if we play the pass and LT is ripping apart our 4 man front? Yeah the 4 man fron those teams you pointed out ripped apart. So you're saying we should do the same and yet control the clock? How?

And just so you know Against Houston we threw the ball which is why they had more time which is exactly why I want Rivers to throw more so WE have more time to run and control the clock.. Same thing with the Jags game. We passed more.

So what you're saying is that we should gameplan like we did against the Jags? Play the pass and let LT have his yards by playing a 4 man front? That's all good but how can you control the clock that way is what I am trying to understand.

Rivers and LT are a double edged sword. All I'm saying, I'd rather let rivers try and beat us.
If Rivers scores not a lot of time . If LT runs and scores =he eats up the clock in the process.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
So what you're saying is that we should gameplan like we did against the Jags? Play the pass and let LT have his yards by playing a 4 man front? That's all good but how can you control the clock that way is what I am trying to understand.

Rivers and LT are a double edged sword. All I'm saying, I'd rather let rivers try and beat us.
If Rivers scores not a lot of time . If LT runs and scores =he eats up the clock in the process.

You say stop LT and I say stop Rivers. It's just a difference of opinion.

My point on letting him run is that I'd rather let San Diego have 7 drive starts vs. 12 drive starts.

When we played Indy we let them have 8 drive starts. Even though they controlled the clock we only gave Peyton and company 8 attempts to score.

When San Fran got smoked by the Chargers they gave Rivers 12 drive starts and you saw what happened there.

Running plays take way more time off the clock. LT running takes time off of the clock and inherinately gives them fewer drive starts as there is only 60 minutes in a game. That's my point.

justasportsfan
12-01-2006, 04:16 PM
You say stop LT and I say stop Rivers. It's just a difference of opinion.

My point on letting him run is that I'd rather let San Diego have 7 drive starts vs. 12 drive starts.

When we played Indy we let them have 8 drive starts. Even though they controlled the clock we only gave Peyton and company 8 attempts to score.

When San Fran got smoked by the Chargers they gave Rivers 12 drive starts and you saw what happened there.

Running plays take way more time off the clock. LT running takes time off of the clock and inherinately gives them fewer drive starts as there is only 60 minutes in a game. That's my point.

Like I said, I like our db over SF. If SF ran the ball it would've limited SD from having the ball.

here's another thing to think about, it's gonna be cold and windy. IMO, stack the line and dare Rivers to throw.