• Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Going further into the Jeff Sagarin ratings

The 3 easiest schedules in the AFC belong to:

21. Baltimore, 9-2 record
    19. Kansas city, 7-4 record
    18. San Diego, 9-2 record

It's mildly ironic that I brought up this argument about ease of schedule and record and got clocked by everybody. I guess it shows up in the standing though. 25 wins and 8 losses, wow.

• Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Going further into the Jeff Sagarin ratings

SD is .500 against the top 10 teams and 3-2 against top 16 teams.

1 (afc west) = 23.13 22.78 ( 1) TEAMS= 4
    NFL 2006 through games of November 27 Monday _ week #12
    HOME ADVANTAGE= 3.23 RATING W L T SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16 | ELO_CHESS | PURE POINTS
    3 San Diego Chargers = 30.59 9 2 0 19.26( 18) 2 2 0 | 3 2 0 | 30.74 2 | 30.28 4
    7 Denver Broncos = 25.03 7 4 0 22.24( 2) 3 3 0 | 4 3 0 | 26.87 6 | 23.38 9
    10 Kansas City Chiefs = 22.64 7 4 0 19.22( 19) 2 2 0 | 2 3 0 | 23.38 7 | 21.77 10
    29 Oakland Raiders = 12.86 2 9 0 22.10( 5) 0 6 0 | 1 6 0 | 10.61 30 | 14.35 26

Comment

• LTforMVP
      • Nov 2006

the best teams cant play themselves and give the teams they face so many losses that this stupid trend you speak so highly of happens every year

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

Skoob, don't piss off the Charger fans!
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Sagarin ratings are stupid and useless.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
            The 3 easiest schedules in the AFC belong to:

21. Baltimore, 9-2 record
            19. Kansas city, 7-4 record
            18. San Diego, 9-2 record

It's mildly ironic that I brought up this argument about ease of schedule and record and got clocked by everybody. I guess it shows up in the standing though. 25 wins and 8 losses, wow.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl06.htm

if you're going to repeat posts, then so am I-

Yet another inconsistency- you have the "any given Sunday" mentality and think any team can win on any week, yet you still think good teams only win because of weak schedules.

This isn't college football- final record counts, not strength of schedule.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
              if you're going to repeat posts, then so am I-

Yet another inconsistency- you have the "any given Sunday" mentality and think any team can win on any week, yet you still think good teams only win because of weak schedules.

This isn't college football- final record counts, not strength of schedule.
              Ditto:

You do not see a pattern here? The top 3 easiest teams have a .680 winning percentage or ~12-4 record. That would normally get you a home game or two in the playoffs. Can you say large advantage?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mybills
                Skoob, don't piss off the Charger fans!
                Oops, my bad. I apologize ahead of time to all the chargers fans. LT is god, Rivers is the greatest and your team is far superior to all who have .570 record or less.

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Ditto:

You do not see a pattern here? The top 3 easiest teams have a .680 winning percentage or ~12-4 record. That would normally get you a home game or two in the playoffs. Can you say large advantage?
                    Your argument has several major flaws.

First, we ARE one of those easy teams on the Chargers schedule. One of the reasons their schedule is so easy is because WE'RE on it.

Second, teams have no say in who's on their schedule or how good they are. Every team has years that are easier than others and you have to take advantage of it when your opportunity comes (example: Bills in 04). More importantly, you have to beat who you play, and the Chargers have done that.

Third, so what if the Chargers only beat weak teams? They still have LT, Gates, and the #7 ranked rush D. Their previous competition has nothing to do with how well they match up against the Bills.

And finally, this is the NFL in the age of salary cap parity. The difference between a good team and a mediocre or bad one isn't all that much. Examples: Miami beating the Bears and the Bills almost beating the Colts at home.

Do teams with an easy schedule have an advantage when it comes to making the playoffs? I'd agree they have a slight advantage. But it's not the problem you're making it out to be and it doesn't prove that the Chargers are not a good team or that the Bills can beat them.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      And finally, this is the NFL in the age of salary cap parity. The difference between a good team and a mediocre or bad one isn't all that much. Examples: Miami beating the Bears and the Bills almost beating the Colts at home.

Do teams with an easy schedule have an advantage when it comes to making the playoffs? I'd agree they have a slight advantage. But it's not the problem you're making it out to be and it doesn't prove that the Chargers are not a good team or that the Bills can beat them.

So in the top paragraph you admit the difference between one team or another is not that much and on the bottom you agree that the easy schedule gives a slight advantage.

This is what's known as double talk, you can't have it both ways. Any advantage is a parity driven league is a advantage non-the-less.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

I put this on the site in 2002. I also did a similar analysis in 2003 and had similar results. As was stated in my thread Sagarins strenghts are his opinions not based on actual performance on the schedule. My analysis is how teams did throughout the year and at no point does it take into account the game they played that week.

So, I have to say I agree with Scooby and you guys who don't are WAY off base. The teams with weaker schedules have a significantly greater chance of making the playoffs over teams with stronger schedules.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

So in the top paragraph you admit the difference between one team or another is not that much and on the bottom you agree that the easy schedule gives a slight advantage.

This is what's known as double talk, you can't have it both ways. Any advantage is a parity driven league is a advantage non-the-less.
                          I don't think the advantage is slight...I think it is a considerable advantage. I have brought good analysis to the table here to support that position. I think it's hard to understand though.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

I don't know why you think that's double talk. I said SLIGHT. Think about it this way- if you had to pick a portion of the Bills schedule next year and you had the following two choices, which one would you take:

A: road games against the Patriots, Colts, Ravens, and Bears
                            B: road games against the Packers, Lions, Buccanneers and Texans

I think the answer is pretty obvious. Certain schedules are easier than others, but the advantage isn't enough to make a huge difference over a 16 game season. There's no double talk in there.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RBI90
                              • Nov 2006

So, how does any of it matter when the Bills face the Chargers on Sunday? Despite who has the harder schedule, most of the time the better team wins, right? Most people who are not Bills or Chargers fans think that the Chargers are teh better team DESPITE their easy schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X