PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Merriman

jpetre13
12-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Anyone up for some "cheater" chants this sunday? Perhaps even a huge cardboard needle like the ones for Barry Bonds?

Slim
12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
The guys a great player. But i lost all respect for him. He's trash.. And i will be expecting some chants.

BigBoltIke
12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Anyone up for some "cheater" chants this sunday? Perhaps even a huge cardboard needle like the ones for Barry Bonds?

Merriman tested positive for Nandrolone, which can only be taken orally. Shooting nandrolone would be like shooting marijuana, so if you go out there with a needle you'll look stupid.

If you want to make fun of him, you should show up with a giant cardboard pill bottle.

On a side note, if you worked out really intensely and were taking a dietary suppliment like creatine, you would almost certainly test positive for nandrolone.

Slim
12-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Merriman tested positive for Nandrolone, which can only be taken orally. Shooting nandrolone would be like shooting marijuana, so if you go out there with a needle you'll look stupid.

If you want to make fun of him, you should show up with a giant cardboard pill bottle.

On a side note, if you worked out really intensely and were taking a dietary suppliment like creatine, you would almost certainly test positive for nandrolone.

Sure, doctor.

BigBoltIke
12-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Sure, doctor.

Actually I looked it up, because I wasn't sure whether or not to believe him.

Slim
12-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Actually I looked it up, because I wasn't sure whether or not to believe him.

Its not like he's going to come out and blatantly say "i took sterioids."

PECKERWOOD
12-01-2006, 03:41 PM

Wrong. Been there done that.

Kenny
12-01-2006, 04:26 PM

ummm... bull*****

People who work out know what they're taking. I think there's a reason he hasnt publically stated which product was 'tainted'.

raphael120
12-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Aberdeen) showing that the metabolite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolite) product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein) diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_supplement) creatine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine) and hard cardiovascular exercise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiovascular_exercise). The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef) from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobsleigh) racer, Lenny Paul (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lenny_Paul&action=edit)). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine) (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotput) C.J. Hunter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.J._Hunter) as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids.

So he is right, but what he took and how much of the substance was in him still has yet to be found out. Bein a weightlifter myself, I would understand that it would suck to have a bad rap of bein a "juicer" just because you happen to take alot of supplements (creatine) and it happens to raise your levels, but also, merrimen is not the only huge dude out there in the NFL, whatever he is taking, you have to wonder what it is, and why if all other players in the league taking creatine or eating as much protein as you need to maintain your muscle mass, why dont they test positive? so whatever he is taking that made him go over the legal levels of nandrolone, he best stop. and if it is really illegal steroids, then shame on him...but i bet it's real hard to find out how the raises levels or nandrolone came from.

jamze132
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
If seriously doubt Merriman tested positve because he worked out too hard and took some creatine. And the guy's lawsuit is a front. He obviously is lying to everyone that is willing to listen to him. And I am sure that there are players on Buffalo that are "working out too hard" as well.

And for some information that may or may not be known...

An NFL payer is only publicly identified after his 3rd offense.

BILLSROCK1212
12-01-2006, 05:50 PM
he lost 10 pounds since his suspension

BigBoltIke
12-01-2006, 06:41 PM
If seriously doubt Merriman tested positve because he worked out too hard and took some creatine. And the guy's lawsuit is a front. He obviously is lying to everyone that is willing to listen to him. And I am sure that there are players on Buffalo that are "working out too hard" as well.

And for some information that may or may not be known...

An NFL payer is only publicly identified after his 3rd offense.

The story was broken illegally, if you weren't aware. Merriman tested positive in August, his first, and only offense.

BigBoltIke
12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
ummm... bull*****

People who work out know what they're taking. I think there's a reason he hasnt publically stated which product was 'tainted'.

Well, he's suing the company that made the suppliment. I'm not making this **** up man, I'm a political science grad, not a biologist. Nandrolone is a sketchy substance for DQing someone because it A.) occurs in high levels naturally, and B.) can be found in higher levels from sources outside of juicing.

I guess you guys wouldn't defend Losman if he tested positive for heroin because he ate Poppy Seed Muffins either.

RockStar36
12-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Who cares? He got busted. Get over it.

YardRat
12-01-2006, 06:54 PM
The story was broken illegally, if you weren't aware. Merriman tested positive in August, his first, and only offense.

No NFL player is suspended for a 'first, and only offense". It's against the CBA and the union wouldn't stand for it.

BigBoltIke
12-01-2006, 06:56 PM
No NFL player is suspended for a 'first, and only offense". It's against the CBA and the union wouldn't stand for it.

Suspensions for steroids are different from suspensions for drugs, which is what you're talking about.

YardRat
12-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Suspensions for steroids are different from suspensions for drugs, which is what you're talking about.

You're right...My bad.

RockStar36
12-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Here's what I think is funny.

If a Bills player was suspended for 'roids all the people starting threads like this would be blindy defending that player and the people like BigBoltWhatsHisName would be ripping that player.

It's a simple case of the biased fan.

BigBoltIke
12-01-2006, 08:07 PM

If a Bills player was suspended for 'roids all the people starting threads like this would be blindy defending that player and the people like BigBoltWhatsHisName would be ripping that player.

I generally want to believe that Athlete's are decent people. If a Bill's player was in the position Merriman's in, I think I'd give him some cred.

If he was in Bonds' situation, that would be something different.

Slim
12-02-2006, 12:45 AM

I lived in Escondido for five years.. And went to quite a few Charger games, im a huge bills fan, but i like to see the chargers win(espcially the last few years with the Bills out of the playoff's) and i can honestly say if a Bills player tested posotive, i would not sick up for him.

jamze132
12-02-2006, 02:14 AM
If you believe that, I have some ocean front property in Kansas I could sell you?

jamze132
12-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Some fans will defend their favorite players since they are in denial. If David Wright from the Mets tested positive, I wouldn;t try and make up excuses and forgive him. Players today know exactly what they are doing and if they chose to cheat, then i won't support them. I don;t care who they are.

evol4276
12-02-2006, 02:46 AM
as much as i shuldnt like him, i have a lkarge respect for him and how he handled this whole thing. I like merriman a lot tho im afraid whats to come from this game when he comes back :(

BigBoltIke
12-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Some fans will defend their favorite players since they are in denial. If David Wright from the Mets tested positive, I wouldn;t try and make up excuses and forgive him. Players today know exactly what they are doing and if they chose to cheat, then i won't support them. I don;t care who they are.

If Merriman tested positive for something that could only be injected or for which the method used to get a positive test was dubious. It's not like Merriman hasn't been getting tested before or since the August positive during TC.

He tested positively once, that leads me to ask questions.

BTW, you guys are probably going to see a lot of this, as long as you aren't in the Buffalo area, because that game is being blacked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThgVlMc-phA

TigerJ
12-02-2006, 10:14 AM

If you know that, I would think Shawn Merriman, who certainly works out intensely, would make it his job to know it too.

BigBoltIke
12-02-2006, 10:18 AM
If you know that, I would think Shawn Merriman, who certainly works out intensely, would make it his job to know it too.

I didn't know it until he got suspended. Maybe he didn't either. Truth is I'm not Shawne, so everything I'm saying is based on the assumption that he's a good person, and not a raging cheater.

TigerJ
12-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I guess my attitude toward Merriman is to think he's human, not superman, and while he's a great athlete, there are ways to slow great athletes down. You just hope that the Bills coaching staff can figure out the strategies that will slow him down.

BigBoltIke
12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I guess my attitude toward Merriman is to think he's human, not superman, and while he's a great athlete, there are ways to slow great athletes down. You just hope that the Bills coaching staff can figure out the strategies that will slow him down.

You could double-team him, but that hasn't worked too well of late.

ublinkwescore
12-02-2006, 10:47 AM

I wouldn't be - I'd be saying He better drop the supplement he's using and find something else pronto.

I think it's funny that Merriman has in fact lost 10 lbs.

justasportsfan
12-02-2006, 10:55 AM
If Merriman tested positive for something that could only be injected or for which the method used to get a positive test was dubious. It's not like Merriman hasn't been getting tested before or since the August positive during TC.

He tested positively once, that leads me to ask questions.

BTW, you guys are probably going to see a lot of this, as long as you aren't in the Buffalo area, because that game is being blacked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThgVlMc-phA
interesting you brought up that video. Did I hear BOOOOS from charger fans after his named was announced that the chargers picked him? You were probably one of them.

Besides in all those highlights , he was most likely juiced up. Let's see how he does without it from now on.

BigBoltIke
12-02-2006, 11:17 AM
interesting you brought up that video. Did I hear BOOOOS from charger fans after his named was announced that the chargers picked him? You were probably one of them.

Besides in all those highlights , he was most likely juiced up. Let's see how he does without it from now on.

Actually I've never been to the draft, but was pretty happy when we got Merriman (Leber wasn't doin it for me)

Since he was tested last year, and never got a positive result, I have to guess that your second point is wrong.

Nice try though.

TacklingDummy
12-02-2006, 11:27 AM

Having a "cheater" chant would be as gay as doing the wave. So im sure Phil would be all for it. :evil:

BigBoltIke
12-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Having a "cheater" chant would be as gay as doing the wave. So im sure Phil would be all for it. :evil:

The trouble with a "cheater" chant is that it doesn't sound good, too many soft vowels.

"RoidBoy" uses harder vowels.

raphael120
12-02-2006, 04:18 PM
<h2>ROID BOYYYYY!</h2>

ublinkwescore
12-02-2006, 06:53 PM
The trouble with a "cheater" chant is that it doesn't sound good, too many soft vowels.

"RoidBoy" uses harder vowels.

Thanks smart guy.

jamze132
12-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Since he was tested last year, and never got a positive result, I have to guess that your second point is wrong.

Nice try though.
So he also has the Whizanator?