PDA

View Full Version : JP...Not even worth mentioning??

YardRat
12-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Hold off on the Hype (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/11/30/qbs/index.html)

I bring this up because, in the 18 seasons I've covered the NFL, I've seen several huddles' worth of quarterbacks prematurely crowned as kings, only to witness their inglorious demise. You can look it up: From the 'Next Ken Stabler' (Todd Marinovich) to the 'Next Joe Montana' (Jake Plummer), all it takes is a few good games from a young passer to make people in my business lose our heads.
We can't handle the truth -- that many of these would-be saviors will flame out like Pam and Kid Rock. And over the past couple of years, what with the 24-hour news cycle and all, we have never been so breathlessly pathetic.

Wow. JP doesn't even get one line in this story by Silver. Maybe that's a good thing?

Philagape
12-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Maybe the common sense that it's still too early to judge his career?

YardRat
12-02-2006, 08:08 PM
He doesn't mind mentioning Romo, Rivers, and Manning....even Vince Young.

On a positive note, Titans rookie Vince Young, who keyed Tennessee's dramatic rally, is now being glorified like -- well, like Vince Young after last season's Rose Bowl.

RedEyE
12-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Jake Plummer lead his team to the AFC Championship game last year and made his first Pro Bowl apperance. This guy is talking out his ass.

TigerJ
12-02-2006, 09:01 PM
You might be right, Yard Rat. It might be a good thing that he's flying under Silver's radar. The article wasn't exactly complimentary.

SABURZFAN
12-02-2006, 09:14 PM
i agree with this title. :up:

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2006, 10:23 PM
i agree with this title. :up:

Watch it Sabz, you have 41 ZB's riding on JP.

SABURZFAN
12-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Watch it Sabz, you have 41 ZB's riding on JP.

that's right. :up:

LifetimeBillsFan
12-03-2006, 02:52 AM
...Wow. JP doesn't even get one line in this story by Silver. Maybe that's a good thing?

Because JP struggled so much in his first few games I think that, even though he has shown great improvement this season and just engineered two last-minute wins, many, if not most, in the national media have already written him off as a bust. Because so many in the media wrote JP off after last season, I think that he has been basically "flying under the radar" this season, with the games that he has had where he has done little only serving to confirm their already-formed opinions of him. As a result, JP hasn;t really gotten a lot of attention, let alone hype on the national scene. And, IMHO, that's a good thing...if not for the Bills and their fans, for JP--because it is allowing him to develop and have his ups and downs without being under the national media microscope.

If JP continues to develop (and I expect there to still be some setbacks along the way) and the Bills continue to add the right pieces and develop into a winning team with him at the helm, the national media will finally notice and then we will see all kinds of stories about how he and the Bills have suddenly blossomed and burst onto the scene, etc.--stories that we Bills fans, who have seen JP and the team struggle going through all of these growing pains, can have a good hearty laugh at.

But, in the meantime, JP and the Bills can go about their business without the pressure of having members of the media bugging them, sticking microphones and cameras in their faces, etc. all of the time, hyping them up beyond the bounds of reality just so that they can cut them up with all kinds of criticism as soon as they have a couple of bad games. (I'll bet that Eli Manning would love to trade places with JP right now after the kind of scrutiny he has been under and the criticism he has been taking in NYC and the national media the last couple of weeks!)