PDA

View Full Version : Our seasons over and the reason is easy!!!

X-Era
12-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Its 3 fold:

1) The age old axiom fits this team to a T. Run and stop the run. We have given up an average of 198 yards on the ground in the past 3 games and gained an average of 69 yards in the past 3 games. We STILL managed to win 3, but you are NOT going to win many games that way, PERIOD!!!!!

2) We needed a little over a half a season to develop our short and probably long term solution at QB, JP Losman. If our TEAM was good enough to win despite a young QB, we may have won more. But our TEAM forced us to try to win on JP's arm toom many times this year. No one should have assumed that our team could go to the playoffs with a young QB, little running game, and no ability to stop the run. After the break, JP has been the MAIN reason that we have won the past 2 and almost won this one. He had a better day overall than Rivers. Rivers had 3 fumbles, 2 of which the Chargers recovered, 1 was a gimme due to the refs.

3) We are missing enough talent overall to be a playoff team. We have 2 of the crop pieces on O, a QB, and a WR. Our stud RB STILL doesnt play here yet! McGahee has been as lackluster as it gets. Our D is missing some pieces mostly on the lines. Our o-line is still missing pieces as well. Our other WR's are marginal. Our TE's have been a negative not a positive.

Heres what we DO have:

1) A starting caliper QB who can win some games for you, he was forced too all year long and has proven as of late that he can be trusted to do so. Hes not the problem on this team and as earned the starting job until he stinks up the field and gets benched. He will be our starter next year and beyond most likely. This issue is OVER now, haters will hate but its over!
2) A stud WR
3) A young solid starter with stud potential at LT
4) A stud CB in Clemen ts who needs to be resigned, its a priority now!
5) A stud DE in Schobel
6) A stud punter
7) Good looking youngsters in Whitner, Simpson, Crowell, McGee, Williams
8) Solid players who could be upgraded without heartache at LG, C, RG, RT, #2 WR (Peerless), A Train, Parrish as a returner.
9) Vets who coulkd either be kept or upgraded but only if we get a true upgrade in Fletcher, TKO, Lindell
10) A coaching staff that can motivate and play good sound ball. They need to be more adaptive during the game. They need to go back to kindergarten as far as challenges go. But they have the heart, they stuck with the right guy at QB and showed faith. They remained positive throughout. They maintained a TEAM attitude and prevented finger pointing. They have room to improve for sure, but some major problems are non-problems with this squad.

So, my fixes for this team have been changing every week but its now CRYSTAL clear. We need to have a solid run game and stop the run. That means EITHER improving or stopping the run comes first and foremost. Heres my fix:

FA:

1) Eric Steinbach, maybe move Gandy again to RG, hes played solid enough after the break to be a marginalk starter at G. Sign Eric, start him at his natural LG spot and move Gandy to RG.

2) Draft a RB EARLY. It aint McGahee folks, its now crystal clear. We needed him to earn his pay today and he failed miserably, the 3rd and 3 screen where he danced and didnt get the first was an example. Our friggin QB got as many yards as Willis. Whens the last 100 yard game by Willis? WEEK 3!!! I swear the guy has handles on his ankles and shoestrings, he goes down ALOT by worthless tackles. We need a stud RB, let Willis take his song and dance and Rosendouche right on out of here, he has NEVER proven to be a solid stud RB here! Marshawn Lych in the 1st or Michael Bush in the 2nd would be a nice step. Upgrade him early in the draft!

3) Look long and hard at mid round OT's, C's, and G's. We dont need to spend a 1st rounder on them, we should be in the 12-16 range and there arent any RT's worth it, only LT's and we are all filled up there.

4) Look at younger vet type journeyman at OT to replace Pennington if necessary.

5) Draft another DT in day one. Lets let Tim Anderson take a hike. Getting McCargo back will help. Corey Simon in FA might be a nice add too.

6) Id look at LB's like Briggs, Cato June, or Adalius Thomas in FA. Crowell is solid, TKO hasnt rebounded but doesnt exactly suck either, and Fletch is a FA. Id like to keep Fletch, but I bet we have at least 1 new starter at LB, so lets look at one of these guys.

So there it is. Replace McGahee, add some proven and unproven talent along the lines, and possibly a new proven LB.

The darkhorse position is #2 WR. Peerless has made a few big plays as of late and the braintrust may keep him, buit can we pass up a player like Ted Ginn Jr? Dwayne Jarrett? Paul Williams in the 3rd? We just may take a guy day one.

Run and stop the run. Build around JP. Spend your money. Makes waves on draft day. Get-er-done and we will be a playoff contender next year!

Risin
12-03-2006, 04:15 PM
JP Losman turning into a franchise QB is one of the positives I'll be able to take out of this season.

The kid is good, and I'm starting to believe he has "it".

I swear to god, if we got that onside kick today, I was sure JP was gonna get us into field goal range, I haven't felt like that since Kelly was here. (Flutie to some degree also)

At the beginning of the year I wanted the Bills to solve their QB situation for the next 10 seasons (which I think is solved), and for them to show some promise.

I think both goals have been reached, but I'm starting to think new questions are popping up. (do we have a running back, are we ever gonna have a run defense, and how can we not re-sign Nate?)

X-Era
12-03-2006, 04:20 PM
JP Losman turning into a franchise QB is one of the positives I'll be able to take out of this season.

The kid is good, and I'm starting to believe he has "it".

I swear to god, if we got that onside kick today, I was sure JP was gonna get us into field goal range, I haven't felt like that since Kelly was here. (Flutie to some degree also)

At the beginning of the year I wanted the Bills to solve their QB situation for the next 10 seasons (which I think is solved), and for them to show some promise.

I think both goals have been reached, but I'm starting to think new questions are popping up. (do we have a running back, are we ever gonna have a run defense, and how can we not re-sign Nate?)

We MUST resign Nate!!!!

There is absolutely NO reason with a supposed 30 mil in cap space that we cant get that done. We still need some playmakers at DE, OLB maybe, RB, and maybe WR, the LAST thing we need is to add to the last by letting Clements go.

Yasgur's Farm
12-03-2006, 04:20 PM
We need a true #2 WR (round 1 draft) and a stud TE (free agency).

Here's my bold move of the offseason...

Are you ready?

Wait for it....

Here it comes...

1) Resign Kelsay.
2) Sign Dwight Freeney at any cost.
3) Move Aaron Schobel to LB (He's too small for DE anf hurts us badly vs the run).

Statman
12-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Its 3 fold:

1) The age old axiom fits this team to a T. Run and stop the run. We have given up an average of 198 yards on the ground in the past 3 games and gained an average of 69 yards in the past 3 games. We STILL managed to win 3, but you are NOT going to win many games that way, PERIOD!!!!!

How would you say our free agency signings contributed to those two things?

X-Era
12-03-2006, 04:31 PM
How would you say our free agency signings contributed to those two things?

A-Train helped to spell Willis, but isnt a stud RB which is what we really need.
Reyes got benched.
Tripplett has been pretty silent but probably solid as a rotational player.
Bowen was a waste.

It wasnt a very good offseason.

JoeMama
12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
3) Move Aaron Schobel to LB (He's too small for DE anf hurts us badly vs the run).

This is one notion I'll disagree w/ always.

Aaron Schobel's performance against the run is one of the most overwrought, unfair assessments a player can have.

Remember, Aaron Schobel anchored the line in 2003 when the Bills were the 2nd rated defense in the entire NFL.

He's not the lackluster run-blocker he's made out to be.

The real problem is that we don't have the run-stuffing defensive tackles from days of lore.

Gone are the days when Ted Washington, Pat Williams, & Sam Adams stood ass-to-ass against opposing offenses.

When Aaron Schobel has capable defensive tackles next to him, he's fine.

Besides, his main duty as right defensive end is to rush the passer.

I want to see him upfield as much as possible. Not drawn back into run-defense.

Rushing the passer is his main strength & should remain his primary role.

X-Era
12-03-2006, 04:37 PM
This is one notion I'll disagree w/ always.

Aaron Schobel's performance against the run is one of the most overwrought, unfair assessments a player can have.

Remember, Aaron Schobel anchored the line in 2003 when the Bills were the 2nd rated defense in the entire NFL.

He's not the lackluster run-blocker he's made out to be.

The real problem is that we don't have the run-stuffing defensive tackles from days of lore.

Gone are the days were Ted Washington, Pat Williams, & Sam Adams stood ass-to-ass against opposing offenses.

When Aaron Schobel has capable defensive tackles next to him, he's fine.

Rushing the passer is his main strength & should remain his primary role.

I agree. Id rather spend an early pick on Quentin Moses or Gaines Adams and start him opposite of Schobel or at OLB. I think RB is a priority though, maybe Michael Bush in the 2nd round if we go this route first.

Yasgur's Farm
12-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Rushing the passer is his main strength & that should be his role.I feel he can continue to be effective in this category from the OLB position... Sort of a Bryce Paup type. At the same time, he would make a fine addition to run defense from the LB position.

HHURRICANE
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
1)We can't run.

2) We can't stop the run.

Solution:

1) Find a running back.

2) Find more depth for the OL.

3) Get rid of Tim Anderson. HE BLOWS!!!!!

X-Era
12-03-2006, 04:55 PM
1)We can't run.

2) We can't stop the run.

Solution:

1) Find a running back.

2) Find more depth for the OL.

3) Get rid of Tim Anderson. HE BLOWS!!!!!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:posrep:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-03-2006, 04:56 PM
No we lost because of the Refs they weren't going to let us win that game

X-Era
12-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Well then my arguements stand for any of the other 6 losses.

HHURRICANE
12-03-2006, 05:12 PM

I agree in regards to this game. However, winning teams get the calls and losing teams don't. Next year we need to come out winning!!

X-Era
12-03-2006, 05:14 PM
I agree in regards to this game. However, winning teams get the calls and losing teams don't. Next year we need to come out winning!!

Ill take it the next step, the young QB arguement is now over. If we have a decent offseason, I see no reason we SHOULDNT come out winning.

TheBrownBear
12-03-2006, 05:30 PM
We need to shore up the O-Line. We could also use a change of pace RB capable of breaking a big one. Maybe a smaller guy with great speed like Maurice Drew (who went in the 3rd or 4th round I believe). We could also use a bigger playmaking receiver.

I doubt we can grab all these pieces in the offseason, but if we can just put together a decent offensive line we should be a wildcard contender.

X-Era
12-03-2006, 05:34 PM
We need to shore up the O-Line. We could also use a change of pace RB capable of breaking a big one. Maybe a smaller guy with great speed like Maurice Drew (who went in the 3rd or 4th round I believe). We could also use a bigger playmaking receiver.

I doubt we can grab all these pieces in the offseason, but if we can just put together a decent offensive line we should be a wildcard contender.

Agree but you danced around needing a stud RB. Guys like Paul Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Calvin Johnson, Robert Meachem all fit the Bill. Starters on the OL should probably come from FA.

RB is now a top need, Im really interested to see some of the times posted by these guys and who declares.

X-Era
12-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I feel he can continue to be effective in this category from the OLB position... Sort of a Bryce Paup type. At the same time, he would make a fine addition to run defense from the LB position.

Wont disagree that TKO hasnt been up to snuff. Londons a UFA, Crowell is a good player on the other side. I dont know who to put in place of TKO? Cato June? Adalius Thomas? Gaines Adams?

ParanoidAndroid
12-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Agree but you danced around needing a stud RB. Guys like Paul Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Calvin Johnson, Robert Meachem all fit the Bill. Starters on the OL should probably come from FA.

RB is now a top need, Im really interested to see some of the times posted by these guys and who declares.

I'm confused. Those are all WR's.
I think our WR's have been playing well as of late. We all saw why Reed has been missed. He knows how to get open on 3rd down. Peerless is finding a place in this offense. The spread offense is good for our small, fast receivers.

Our DE's played very well today.

Our DT's got caught going upfield on several run plays. They needed to hold the point, stay in their gaps and slide off of blocks. They didn't. We need a serious upgrade at the one-gap DT position. Schobel gets double teamed instead of the DT and that has to change.
It's gonna be depressing if Travis Henry gets on the wagon and gashes us for 150 yards, too.

What we need is a real receiving threat at TE. Eric Johnson and Jerramy Stevens are both FA's this year.

We need a mauler at guard and Samson Setele is that type of player. He's big, nasty, and has a great motor.

X-Era
12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm confused. Those are all WR's.
I think our WR's have been playing well as of late. We all saw why Reed has been missed. He knows how to get open on 3rd down. Peerless is finding a place in this offense. The spread offense is good for our small, fast receivers.

Our DE's played very well today.

Our DT's got caught going upfield on several run plays. They needed to hold the point, stay in their gaps and slide off of blocks. They didn't. We need a serious upgrade at the one-gap DT position. Schobel gets double teamed instead of the DT and that has to change.
It's gonna be depressing if Travis Henry gets on the wagon and gashes us for 150 yards, too.

What we need is a real receiving threat at TE. Eric Johnson and Jerramy Stevens are both FA's this year.

We need a mauler at guard and Samson Setele is that type of player. He's big, nasty, and has a great motor.

I understand your point. But, this team still needs better playmakers. Guys that can score points, an upgrade to McGahee, a scoring threat opposite Evans to keep double teams off. Better talent overall. I want to build the trenches as well, just not in the 1st round.

ParanoidAndroid
12-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Our biggest holes:

DT
RG
TE
RT

I agree that McGahee leaves a lot to be desired, but he's at least solid.

X-Era
12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Our biggest holes:

DT
RG
TE
RT

I agree that McGahee leaves a lot to be desired, but he's at least solid.

since when is averaging 3 yards a carry, "solid". It isnt even average.

Thats FAR from good enough. We need a stud RB on this squad. Can McGahee become that guy? maybe with better blockers but hes had plenty of time.