PDA

View Full Version : An attempt to make a level-headed review of this team so far

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 11:21 AM
With all of these BS threads/posts about how much Jauron, JP, McGahee, the trainers, the waterboys, Meathead, etc. suck are incompetent, are terrible and might even be the second coming of Hitler, I thought I might try to interject some "big picture" evaluations of the Bills season thus far. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I know it won't be popular because I am not over-reacting and going nuts about how somebody is the worse thing ever to happen to this team, but read it through and really think about where this team was and where it is going. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Marv Levy – To anybody even trying to be objective, it is evident that Marv is righting this ship we call the Buffalo Bills. Listen to the players talk. Watch how they conduct themselves. They are professionals. They are learning not just to be athletes, but how to represent the community and be professionals. The maturing process of this team as a whole is remarkably. They are also acting as a team. There is none of this crap like Moulds throwing a guy under the bus. Yet, these players share the credit. To do that without deflecting the blame is a credit to the leadership on this team.<o:p></o:p>
Dick Jauron – See the comments on Marv above, concerning leadership. Dick is also responsible for righting this ship and getting this team to play together. This team never gives up. They are able to battle back from a 17-0 deficit against the team many ‘experts’ call the best of the NFL. Every week this team is prepared and ready to play. They were blown out twice, one of them against the Bears when the Bears were rolling over everybody. He assembled a staff that is working with young players and veterans that are in a new system and they are achieving positive results. He has made some decisions I disagree with (see the 4<SUP>th</SUP> and 1 in the opener). But overall, this team is looking like it is much better coached than it has since either the days of Wade or Marv. The young players are improving, which is another feather in his cap. <o:p></o:p>
JP Losman – His improvement is evident as well. His ability to rebound after a bad first half yesterday or his horrible interception to Dunta Robinson against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Houston</st1:place></st1:City> is clear evidence of a maturing QB. He has also shown tremendous strides in leadership. Watching him take control of the offense has been a sight to behold. The players respect him much more than last year and take direction from him incredibly well. He is also starting to show the type of moxie and ability to make late game plays that one can’t teach. Late passes to Parrish and two to Price and the type of clutch plays top level QB’s make. He is not a top 10 guy yet, but if he continues to grow, mature and improve he very well could be next year. If the Bills decide it is time to get rid of Holcomb, they might need a back-up. <o:p></o:p>
Willis McGahee – An up and down year. First off, he is the best RB the Bills have. While people criticize his running style, the cutbacks and ‘dancing’ he utilizes resulted in two TD’s against the Jaguars when his initial hole disappeared. You need to take the good with the bad when having a back with that style. Yesterday, there were not many holes for him, as the Bills O-line was overmatched against what is perhaps the best front 7 in the NFL. A-Train is a fine back-up, but is not nearly as talented as Willis. <o:p></o:p>
O-Line – It is better than the start of the year, but still not good enough. Jason Peters is fine and could be a solid LT for years. Melvin Fowler is a good and intelligent man to be directing the line. Mike Gandy is a much better guard than LT. But he is a free agent at the end of the year. Terrence Pennington has tons of ability but is very raw. He might be fine, but still has an incomplete when graded. Duke Preston is an OK back-up, especially with his diversity but is not a starter, at least not yet. I really think upgrades in the middle of the line are priority #1 this season. At least one guard, maybe two if Gandy leaves. Eric Steinbach would look great in a Bills uniform. Assuming the Bills draft ~15<SUP>th</SUP>, a guard in round 1 or 2 would be a nice move as well. If the coaches feel Pennington is not the answer, and upgrade at RT is needed as well.
TE’s – Need to improve. A good receiving TE is near the top of the off season list. Maybe Cieslak can develop, but right now an upgrade is needed.
WR’s – Lee Evans is going to be a stud for years in this league, barring an injury. Price is OK as a #2, but is not great either. Josh Reed is a very good 3<SUP>rd</SUP> down WR who has an uncanny knack to get open 5-10 yards downfield. Roscoe Parrish looks like a potential big play type of guy. This upgrading is low on my list. I do wish the Bills would send Price and/or Parrish deep more often as they over rely on Evans as a deep threat.
ST’s – They are fine of course. Lindell is a FA. They should try to re-sign him, even thought I hated him his first two seasons. The return game is golden.
D-line – I think this unit is over maligned, especially at the DE spot. Schobel is affine player, who will get over powered. But if you want a pass rusher, that will happen. Ryan Denney might be the most improved player on the team over the last two seasons, which shows why patience is a virtue for D-linemen. A DT might be a need, if the coaches feel McCargo is not up to being a contributor. At very least, a 4<SUP>th</SUP> guy is needed so Tim Anderson can leave. Triplett and Williams are good, but not great players. Williams has great potential though. I also like what Hargrove shows. He might be a steal for a 5ht round pick!
LB’s – Takeo is slowing getting better, he was very good last week. Losing Fletcher-Baker will suck, but with Rosenhaus as his agent and his age it might be inevitable. The Bills should not and must not overspend for him. Crowell is another example of patience working out for a player and Ellison shows potential. I could see Takeo moving inside next year with Ellison and Crowell on the outside.
DB’s – I love the young safeties. Whitner has All-Pro written all over him. Simpson is talented as hell, but is also raw as hell. He should be a good one as well. McGee has rebounded from a terrible start to the season and is playing better. Nate is a stud CB and should be re-signed if it is at all possible. He might not have many picks, but that won’t happen if the ball is never thrown his way. Thomas and Greer are OK for depth. Bowen has not played much, Wire is now a LB (as Billsology, Meathead and I could have told you last week!) and Leonhard is a ST guy. A veteran depth guy would be nice to have.
So there you have it. This teams looks like it could go 8-8. With what it has gone through (22 new players, a new coaching staff and GM, totally new offensive and defensive schemes, a revamped in midseason O-line, etc.) that would be a good record. Going 6-3 after the bye (needed if the team is go 8-8) would be encouraging as well.
If they add some important positions in the off-season (guard(s), TE, D-line depth, O-line depth) the future might be bright very quickly.

LtBillsFan66
12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Great post. I agree 100% with everything.

OpIv37
12-04-2006, 11:41 AM
My problem with Jauron is his in-game decision-making. It's been bad all year and doesn't look like it's getting better. Leadership and game planning are only part of a coach's job- if he makes boneheaded calls during the game, the rest of that stuff doesn't matter.

If you think the DL is over-maligned, who exactly is responsible for us being 29th in the league in rushing? We give up 140.3 yards a game on the ground. The DL has gotten much better with the pass rush since the bye, but the run game is still horrendous. I like Hargrove and Williams. Tripplett started slow but has been better over the last 2-3 games. McCargo didn't show much before he got injured- maybe it was a lack of experience, but that doesn't explain why Williams looks so much better. Schobel's fine but Kelsay and Denney are too inconsistent. Tim Anderson flat-out blows.

shelby
12-04-2006, 04:52 PM
:goodpost: Thanks Doc!:10:

Statman
12-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Sounds kinda like what everyone said about Donahoe.

Statman
12-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Our rushing game is worse.

Our rushing defense is worse.

Since when is that a sign of moving in a positive direction?

It's nice to have a solid secondary but when you can't stop a run what difference does it make? Who needs to throw when two runs will get you a first down.

Has what Levy has done in terms of bringing talent to the Bills paid off?

Has it rewarded the Bills for the money spent?

What if we have another offseason like this one. Will it move the team forward?

kernowboy
12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Great thread Dr. Lecter

Regarding the coaching I totally agree with you about Marv and Dick. We have obviously been very impatient after the Donahoe debacle but it was always going to be 2 or 3 seasons before righting the ship though it appears we are ahead of schedule.

At QB, Losman has stepped up and not only showed moxy and but also leadership. He has led comebacks and can only get better. I cannot see any current FA or draft pick who will get us to the playoffs any quicker.

At RB, McGahee has disappointed. Despite flashes of brilliance I think we have to accept that we need to decide if this is currently his last season in Buffalo. The 2008 draft is looking good at RB, but I would rather trade McGahee for something rather than lose him for nothing and I think Thomas can carry the load for a season with some help from maybe a Day2 pick. I like Clifton Dawson from Harvard who I am sure Marv has noticed.

At WR, I still think we could do with a big receiver. I would be happy if we were able to sign Ernest Wilford. The TEs have been poor and I would like a high draft pick here. If we can grab Greg Olsen then superb.

The OL will only get better. They've hardly played so far as a unit so are still a work in progress. I would be happy (amazingly) to resign Gandy if he takes guard rather than tackle money. Otherwise I think Merz could step up. Pennington is doing ok on the right side but don't forget Butler - I can see him adding weight and being at the top of the depth chart. I would love Steinbach but think he will get silly money. I like Vince Manuwai as a pick up replacing Villarial with Preston droping to 6th man. In the draft the interior is poor so I would be tempted to take the best OL available with the last pick on Day1 and we will get someone like Free, Staley, Otto or Mike Jones all of whom will be great.

On the defence the need is in the middle. Justin Harrell if fully fit is a good against the run and maybe available in the 3rd due to the injury. I would also like the 7th spent on DeRosia a big small school NT.

I agree with Fletcher leaving but think we cannot fully rely on Spikes and need more depth. I would trade down in R1, get an extra R3 pick and go with Posluzny or Willis.

In the secondary we retain them all. I do think we need extra safety depth but would like to see if we could get someone like Eric Weddle in the draft who can play safety and cornerback.

I see Marv's strength being in the draft. I know everyone goes on about cap space and big shiny signings but that was TDs strength and look where that got us. On Day1 a LB, a TE, a DT and an OL - followed by a DB, a RB and another DT. Get an OG but don't overpay in FA plus a WR. As McGahee is going to be off - get something back in return.

And if Holcomb is cut loose - Patrick Ramsey makes a good backup and potential starter if necessary

patmoran2006
12-04-2006, 05:43 PM
I agree with a lot of your thread, but at the risk of being pessimistic I disagree about some things..

* Coaching staff: In my mind, they have directly costed Buffalo two losses this season. I dont like jauron, I didnt like him when he was hired to begin with... I understand that we got burned with two "young" coaches in Greg Williams and Mularkey.. But with this kind of team, going with a young bright mind was the route to go. Its all about the GM (Levy) finding that RIGHT young mind. If you want examples, see Payton in NO or Mangini in New York... I"ll give him that he's installed the right attitude in this team, but his game day coaching sucks in my opinion.. Jauron is another in a line of bum coaches as far as Im concerned.

Every team we play runs the ball down our throats, so where does that blame lie? I think Tripplett is settling in better, and Williams in round five was a steal.. But I"m not sure EITHER of them are "quality" starters. McCargo looks to be another Tripplett at best, which if true is a waste of a first round pick. THis was, is and will continue to be my BIGGEST and maybe only off-season beef.. Ryan Pickett woulda been a GREAT addition to this team, I KNOW we offered as much as GB but I wish we had offered more.. Oh well, we didnt... At any rate, a STARTING impact calibre DT is priority number ONE this offseason, someone who to make plays and clog up lanes.. Let Williams back that guy up and McCargo for Tripplett and that unit will be nice next year.

As for DE, I agree about Denney.. He's a great THIRD down pass rusher. However, especially with Schobel on the other side, we need MUCH better conistency than Kelsay.. This and a starting DT are necessary to stop the running game...

I hope Spikes get better and becomes good enough to move to the middle as well.. It would offset losing Fletcher (which WILL happen, thats a lock).. However, dont see it happening. .I think his All Pro Days are done and in my opinion, you need a Pro Bowl quality MLB to play this defense. I cant picture Spikes in coverage even remotely close to Fletcher.

I agree about Whitner and I agree about Simpson.. Simpson is VERY VERY raw, but I do see his upside and this year is good experience. .AGreed also about McGee and especially Clements.. I REALLY hope we find a way to ink Clements.

I also agree about Losman.. He's clearly getting better, not just on the field but in the huddle and the sidelines.. He's definitely winning the respect of his team.

IF he continues to develop, Evans will be a top 5 WR in this league by next year, I think he's THAT good.. the rest of the WR's are garbage as starters, including Price. They need a REAL #2.

TE is a lost cause, I'm convinced now.. I'd love to see an upgrade, but doubt it will happen unless via the middle of the draft, because of the need to improve in the trenches.. Mediocrity here will continue.

As far as the OL goes. I'd like to see Peters and Folwer back as starters and that's it. If we had upgrades at LG, RG and RT we could be contenders next season.

If it happens, then this is a good team.. If it doesnt, then its going to be the same old story.

SUMMARY
We NEED at least TWO new OL starters, two new DL starters, a SUITABLE replacement for Fletcher and possibly a replacment for Spikes (I dont think Ellison is the answer either)

patmoran2006
12-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I agree with a lot of your thread, but at the risk of being pessimistic I disagree about some things..

* Coaching staff: In my mind, they have directly costed Buffalo two losses this season. I dont like jauron, I didnt like him when he was hired to begin with... I understand that we got burned with two "young" coaches in Greg Williams and Mularkey.. But with this kind of team, going with a young bright mind was the route to go. Its all about the GM (Levy) finding that RIGHT young mind. If you want examples, see Payton in NO or Mangini in New York... I"ll give him that he's installed the right attitude in this team, but his game day coaching sucks in my opinion.. Jauron is another in a line of bum coaches as far as Im concerned.

Every team we play runs the ball down our throats, so where does that blame lie? I think Tripplett is settling in better, and Williams in round five was a steal.. But I"m not sure EITHER of them are "quality" starters. McCargo looks to be another Tripplett at best, which if true is a waste of a first round pick. THis was, is and will continue to be my BIGGEST and maybe only off-season beef.. Ryan Pickett woulda been a GREAT addition to this team, I KNOW we offered as much as GB but I wish we had offered more.. Oh well, we didnt... At any rate, a STARTING impact calibre DT is priority number ONE this offseason, someone who to make plays and clog up lanes.. Let Williams back that guy up and McCargo for Tripplett and that unit will be nice next year.

As for DE, I agree about Denney.. He's a great THIRD down pass rusher. However, especially with Schobel on the other side, we need MUCH better conistency than Kelsay.. This and a starting DT are necessary to stop the running game...

I hope Spikes get better and becomes good enough to move to the middle as well.. It would offset losing Fletcher (which WILL happen, thats a lock).. However, dont see it happening. .I think his All Pro Days are done and in my opinion, you need a Pro Bowl quality MLB to play this defense. I cant picture Spikes in coverage even remotely close to Fletcher.

I agree about Whitner and I agree about Simpson.. Simpson is VERY VERY raw, but I do see his upside and this year is good experience. .AGreed also about McGee and especially Clements.. I REALLY hope we find a way to ink Clements.

I also agree about Losman.. He's clearly getting better, not just on the field but in the huddle and the sidelines.. He's definitely winning the respect of his team.

IF he continues to develop, Evans will be a top 5 WR in this league by next year, I think he's THAT good.. the rest of the WR's are garbage as starters, including Price. They need a REAL #2.

TE is a lost cause, I'm convinced now.. I'd love to see an upgrade, but doubt it will happen unless via the middle of the draft, because of the need to improve in the trenches.. Mediocrity here will continue.

As far as the OL goes. I'd like to see Peters and Folwer back as starters and that's it. If we had upgrades at LG, RG and RT we could be contenders next season.

If it happens, then this is a good team.. If it doesnt, then its going to be the same old story.

SUMMARY
We NEED at least TWO new OL starters, two new DL starters, a SUITABLE replacement for Fletcher and possibly a replacment for Spikes (I dont think Ellison is the answer either)

Oh yeah, and a real #2 to take double teams off EVans.

Historian
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Well done, Doc.

YardRat
12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Nice post, Doc.

A few typo's, mis-spellings, and grammatical errors, but other than that very clean and to the point.

Some important content left out includes gameday decision-making specifically regarding challenges, and more in-depth analysis of the offensive line situation (Is it the players, the coaching, etc). I'd expect a little bit more detail next time.

Excellent effort...Overall I'd give it an A-.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2006, 06:18 PM
With all of these BS threads/posts about how much Jauron, JP, McGahee, the trainers, the waterboys, Meathead, etc. suck are incompetent, are terrible and might even be the second coming of Hitler, I thought I might try to interject some "big picture" evaluations of the Bills season thus far. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I know it won't be popular because I am not over-reacting and going nuts about how somebody is the worse thing ever to happen to this team, but read it through and really think about where this team was and where it is going. <o:p></o:p>
Marv Levy – To anybody even trying to be objective, it is evident that Marv is righting this ship we call the Buffalo Bills. Listen to the players talk. Watch how they conduct themselves. They are professionals. They are learning not just to be athletes, but how to represent the community and be professionals. The maturing process of this team as a whole is remarkably. They are also acting as a team. There is none of this crap like Moulds throwing a guy under the bus. Yet, these players share the credit. To do that without deflecting the blame is a credit to the leadership on this team.<o:p></o:p>
Dick Jauron – See the comments on Marv above, concerning leadership. Dick is also responsible for righting this ship and getting this team to play together. This team never gives up. They are able to battle back from a 17-0 deficit against the team many ‘experts’ call the best of the NFL. Every week this team is prepared and ready to play. They were blown out twice, one of them against the Bears when the Bears were rolling over everybody. He assembled a staff that is working with young players and veterans that are in a new system and they are achieving positive results. He has made some decisions I disagree with (see the 4<SUP>th</SUP> and 1 in the opener). But overall, this team is looking like it is much better coached than it has since either the days of Wade or Marv. The young players are improving, which is another feather in his cap. <o:p></o:p>
JP Losman – His improvement is evident as well. His ability to rebound after a bad first half yesterday or his horrible interception to Dunta Robinson against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Houston</st1:place></st1:City> is clear evidence of a maturing QB. He has also shown tremendous strides in leadership. Watching him take control of the offense has been a sight to behold. The players respect him much more than last year and take direction from him incredibly well. He is also starting to show the type of moxie and ability to make late game plays that one can’t teach. Late passes to Parrish and two to Price and the type of clutch plays top level QB’s make. He is not a top 10 guy yet, but if he continues to grow, mature and improve he very well could be next year. If the Bills decide it is time to get rid of Holcomb, they might need a back-up. <o:p></o:p>
Willis McGahee – An up and down year. First off, he is the best RB the Bills have. While people criticize his running style, the cutbacks and ‘dancing’ he utilizes resulted in two TD’s against the Jaguars when his initial hole disappeared. You need to take the good with the bad when having a back with that style. Yesterday, there were not many holes for him, as the Bills O-line was overmatched against what is perhaps the best front 7 in the NFL. A-Train is a fine back-up, but is not nearly as talented as Willis. <o:p></o:p>
O-Line – It is better than the start of the year, but still not good enough. Jason Peters is fine and could be a solid LT for years. Melvin Fowler is a good and intelligent man to be directing the line. Mike Gandy is a much better guard than LT. But he is a free agent at the end of the year. Terrence Pennington has tons of ability but is very raw. He might be fine, but still has an incomplete when graded. Duke Preston is an OK back-up, especially with his diversity but is not a starter, at least not yet. I really think upgrades in the middle of the line are priority #1 this season. At least one guard, maybe two if Gandy leaves. Eric Steinbach would look great in a Bills uniform. Assuming the Bills draft ~15<SUP>th</SUP>, a guard in round 1 or 2 would be a nice move as well. If the coaches feel Pennington is not the answer, and upgrade at RT is needed as well.
TE’s – Need to improve. A good receiving TE is near the top of the off season list. Maybe Cieslak can develop, but right now an upgrade is needed.
WR’s – Lee Evans is going to be a stud for years in this league, barring an injury. Price is OK as a #2, but is not great either. Josh Reed is a very good 3<SUP>rd</SUP> down WR who has an uncanny knack to get open 5-10 yards downfield. Roscoe Parrish looks like a potential big play type of guy. This upgrading is low on my list. I do wish the Bills would send Price and/or Parrish deep more often as they over rely on Evans as a deep threat.
ST’s – They are fine of course. Lindell is a FA. They should try to re-sign him, even thought I hated him his first two seasons. The return game is golden.
D-line – I think this unit is over maligned, especially at the DE spot. Schobel is affine player, who will get over powered. But if you want a pass rusher, that will happen. Ryan Denney might be the most improved player on the team over the last two seasons, which shows why patience is a virtue for D-linemen. A DT might be a need, if the coaches feel McCargo is not up to being a contributor. At very least, a 4<SUP>th</SUP> guy is needed so Tim Anderson can leave. Triplett and Williams are good, but not great players. Williams has great potential though. I also like what Hargrove shows. He might be a steal for a 5ht round pick!
LB’s – Takeo is slowing getting better, he was very good last week. Losing Fletcher-Baker will suck, but with Rosenhaus as his agent and his age it might be inevitable. The Bills should not and must not overspend for him. Crowell is another example of patience working out for a player and Ellison shows potential. I could see Takeo moving inside next year with Ellison and Crowell on the outside.
DB’s – I love the young safeties. Whitner has All-Pro written all over him. Simpson is talented as hell, but is also raw as hell. He should be a good one as well. McGee has rebounded from a terrible start to the season and is playing better. Nate is a stud CB and should be re-signed if it is at all possible. He might not have many picks, but that won’t happen if the ball is never thrown his way. Thomas and Greer are OK for depth. Bowen has not played much, Wire is now a LB (as Billsology, Meathead and I could have told you last week!) and Leonhard is a ST guy. A veteran depth guy would be nice to have.
So there you have it. This teams looks like it could go 8-8. With what it has gone through (22 new players, a new coaching staff and GM, totally new offensive and defensive schemes, a revamped in midseason O-line, etc.) that would be a good record. Going 6-3 after the bye (needed if the team is go 8-8) would be encouraging as well.
If they add some important positions in the off-season (guard(s), TE, D-line depth, O-line depth) the future might be bright very quickly.

:down:

YardRat
12-04-2006, 06:20 PM
:down:

Jesus, SAB...Did you have to repeat the whole thing? I got a headache reading it the first time.

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Sorry, I'll use shorter words and pictures for you two next time.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Jesus, SAB...Did you have to repeat the whole thing? I got a headache reading it the first time.

i went as far as the name and stopped there.if Lecter wants to write a book,he should stick it in his dupa and call it The Lost Novel.

YardRat
12-04-2006, 06:30 PM

:D

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Nice post, Doc.

A few typo's, mis-spellings, and grammatical errors, but other than that very clean and to the point.

Some important content left out includes gameday decision-making specifically regarding challenges, and more in-depth analysis of the offensive line situation (Is it the players, the coaching, etc). I'd expect a little bit more detail next time.

Excellent effort...Overall I'd give it an A-.

I knew there would be errors. I only had so long at work and wanted to post it before lunch.

Laziness was creeping in.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2006, 06:39 PM

just keep your crayolas in the box and spare us. :rolleyes:

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Please.

If I was using crayolas, you would be offerring me candy and asking me to come over to your house.

YardRat
12-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I knew there would be errors. I only had so long at work and wanted to post it before lunch.

Laziness was creeping in.

I kid. It's my job :D

SABURZFAN
12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Please.

If I was using crayolas, you would be offerring me candy and asking me to come over to your house.

the last thing i would want to do is invite you to my house to watch you gorge yourself.

YardRat
12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Please.

:rofl:

You gotta admit, SAB....That's funny.

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 07:06 PM
I know. I whipped through it.

Before I got me in trouble and was asked why message board posting is worthy of a salary.

Billsrock4life
12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
great post and a good assessment of the team and where they stand right now

SABURZFAN
12-04-2006, 07:12 PM
:rofl:

You gotta admit, SAB....That's funny.

i don't find it funny that he mistakens me for the priest in his hometown. :down:

HHURRICANE
12-04-2006, 07:51 PM
i went as far as the name and stopped there.if Lecter wants to write a book,he should stick it in his dupa and call it The Lost Novel.

Dupa?! SABURZFAN your a pollock!!!

HHURRICANE

Dupa?! SABURZFAN your a pollock!!!:respect:

HHURRICANE

Bling
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM

A three peat of HHURRICANE posts? :ill:

SquishDaFish
12-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Awesome posting Dr.

jbisset
12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Nice....But we still need a better OL and TE. We also need two DTs like Pat Williams to stop the run. Another great DE would be nice.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Nice....But we still need a better OL and TE. We also need two DTs like Pat Williams to stop the run. Another great DE would be nice.

and a better QB.... :up:

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 09:32 PM
My problem with Jauron is his in-game decision-making. It's been bad all year and doesn't look like it's getting better. Leadership and game planning are only part of a coach's job- if he makes boneheaded calls during the game, the rest of that stuff doesn't matter.

If you think the DL is over-maligned, who exactly is responsible for us being 29th in the league in rushing? We give up 140.3 yards a game on the ground. The DL has gotten much better with the pass rush since the bye, but the run game is still horrendous. I like Hargrove and Williams. Tripplett started slow but has been better over the last 2-3 games. McCargo didn't show much before he got injured- maybe it was a lack of experience, but that doesn't explain why Williams looks so much better. Schobel's fine but Kelsay and Denney are too inconsistent. Tim Anderson flat-out blows.

I don't think all of game decisions have been bad. There are some I disagree with (as I said, the 4th and 1 call in the opener was bad). He has made some mistakes. As ALL coaches do. I really don't think he has made as many as some people say. Even in this past game, the only one I thought was bad was the challenge after the time-out. The replay system is stupid anyway and makes coaches add to their game day duties needlessly.

Anderson does blow, which is whay I want him gone (and said so). As for McCargo, players come along at different speeds. In their rookie years, Haggan got more PT than Crowell. Let the guys develop. McCargo was a junior and considerd more raw. I think Williams is menataly more ready, whil McCargo has more talent.

Overall, the line has been OK. The pass rush is actually pretty decent. Once the line and LB's get the system and gap control down, the run Defense will improve.

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Our rushing game is worse.

Our rushing defense is worse.

Since when is that a sign of moving in a positive direction?

It's nice to have a solid secondary but when you can't stop a run what difference does it make? Who needs to throw when two runs will get you a first down.

Has what Levy has done in terms of bringing talent to the Bills paid off?

Has it rewarded the Bills for the money spent?

What if we have another offseason like this one. Will it move the team forward?

The signs of moving in a positive direction comes from watching the team. They are no longer divided. They will have a record better than last year, which is impressive considering the turn-over and change from last year. This TEAM is much more cohesive.

Levy has brought in the following players: Whitner, Simpson, Williams, Pennington, Ellison, Peerless, Fowler, adn Kiwaukee Thomas. Much of his building is through the draft with promising young players that are improving every game.

And yes, if they have another similar offseason Bills fans will be very happy.

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2006, 09:45 PM

We will have to disagree here. I love his game plans for the most part. The team has shown improvement in the 2nd half/4th quarter, so they are making needed adjustments. He has coached the team to comebacks in two straight games, and nearly a 3rd.

That is pretty good gametime stuff, imo.

I atill think the O-line is a bigger priority and that a air evaluation of college junior who playe din 5 games is impossible for you, me or Bill Kollar. DT's do take a while to come around. The important thing is they are playing better. As weird as it sounds, 178 yards for LT is NOT a bad game. The guy is stud and a half.

Again, Spike is coming along as the year goes on. The injury he had, when people do come back, it takes twelve months or more. Moving him inside would help him in that the initial burst would not be as crtical. And if Ellison can't cut it, Wire might be very effective on the outside in this defense.

Price is fine as a #2. You can see him and JP developing chemistry. Remember JP, was used to having Evans and Reed. Young QB's tend to stay in their comfort zone with WR's. AS he learns to trust Price, his value is increasing.

And I still think Pennington might be fine. He has not played enough to evaluate. Incredible pure talent, but even more raw than Ko.

SUMMARY

Remmebr, all teams have 'average' guys somewhere. A Pennington type could be the modern day answer to John Davis; an average guy made good by the talent around him

kernowboy
12-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Well my take on this is Marv is a great scouter of the draft. I thought all of his players in 2006 have either come through to a level we could have hoped or are on the bubble.

At WR we do need a big No2 but I think we can use McGahee as a means to get that. If the Raiders cut Jerry Porter loose we could consider him. At TE, I see us using a Round 2 as clear Everett cannot cut the mustard. We may consider a 2 TE set.

On the OL I am ok with how it has now been playing. If we sign a FA I do think Steinbach will be seriously overpriced but Manuwai will be an acceptable alternative. Gandy could resign and I'd like to see Merz again. Pennington has done ok but don't forget Brad Butler who I think may even overtake him next season. I am concerned that if Peters got injured we have no adequate LT replacement. I would like us to draft someone like Doug Free or Mike Otto who can play here. Gandy has shown he's not even an adequate back up.

On the DL our main problem is the middle and the strength in the draft is on the wings. Outside of Pitcock the best runner stuffer amongst the seniors is Justin Harrell. He may slide a little because of a bicep injury during the season but is a character player who plays hurt.

Show Nate the money. Make sure it is not so stupid to make him untradable in the future but we need him next season as Youboty has only come along slowly. I'd want to draft a safety in R4 or R5 who can play both sides.

LB is the main areas of concern. This is a R1 need as we have to get a guy who can play either in the middle or outside or someone who can do both. The LBs with a R1 grade are sliding towards the bottom of the round so we could trade down and acquire an extra day1 pick.

As it stands FA is very poor. There are one or two players who will be franchised but with the significant increase in the cap few teams will have to cut players - players will be cut on performance and I'm not sure we want those players. Those scheduled for FA outside of Freeney and Steinbach ... will there are one or two with potential to be a very good upgrade like Dan Graham TE or Vince Manuawai at OG

And ESPN has report that Justin Smith (Bengals) Patrick Kerney (Falcons) and Charles Grant (Saints) are scheduled to be FA - all will be upgrades

jbisset
12-05-2006, 03:01 PM
and a better QB.... :up:

Can not tell about the QB or RB until we get a better OL. Anywhere, we need the OL fix before we bring in another young QB