PDA

View Full Version : I think we can contend NEXT season

xXSpIkes5IXx
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
At the beginning of this year, expectatons were very low for this team, and so far they are playing better football than anyone anticipated them playing. From what i see from this team i think we can be a legitimate player in the AFC next year if we make the necessary moves in the offseason.

Lets be honest, if we beat SD and found someway into the playoffs do you think we would have made it past the 1st round? In fact we may have been humiliated. This young team is starting to hit its stride, which is huge, i thought at the beginning of the year that we wouldnt be able to contend till '08 at the earliest, but my perception has changed.

I love JP Losman's attitude, i feel like he wants to be on the field with 2:00 left and his team down by 4. Hes still is not a franchise QB, but hes improving by leaps and bounds. Lee Evans has proved hes a legitamite #1 reciever in this league. Those were 2 big question marks coming into the season. Willis McGahee is an enigma to me, he plays when he wants to it seems, I think if we start winning he will start playing hard every week, which is what we need out of him. A Train is a solid spell/3rd down back.

Defensively Simpson and Whitner have played incredible, and really only looked like rookies when they were trying to cover Antonio Gates yesterday. Crowell is turning into a stud, and our DE's can rush the passer very well. The game Takeo played also made me believe that he can return to his play making form next year.

So, heres the question, how do we fill our holes?

The run defense has to be #1, we can not contend for the AFC title with that run defense. The upcoming free agents dont yield a stud NT, which i think is our biggest problem. The guy I like has flown under the radar, Terdell Sands of the Raiders. The man is 6'7'' 335, however he may be too big for the Tampa 2 system. DT Robaire Smith or the Titans is 6'4'' 328, and could be what we are looking for too. I think with a true nose tackle that demands a double team, Larry Tripplett will be more productive getting penetration and reaking havoc like he did in the Jacksonville game.

Next, the offensive line. Peters has proved he can play left tackle at a high level, and Fowler has been a good center. The way i see it we need 2 starters, potentially 3. The line has played better in recent weeks in the pass blocking department, but our run blocking has not been good all year. There are 3 quality guards that i see that could be a solution in free agency. Eric Steinbach of the Bengals, Chris Dielman of San Diego, and Vincent Manuwai of Jacksonville. Hopefully Marv will make a pitch to get one of these guys. as far as a right tackle goes, I can see us drafting Sam Baker, which many mocks have us taking. He will be a starter from day 1, and should be a definate upgrade over Pennington. On the free agent side, Leonard Davis and Max Starks are the 2 best out there. I dont like Davis, hes overrated, but who knows Marv might. Starks is an RFA and Pitt will probably bring him back. Ravens OT Tony Pashos has played well this year, but i think he would just be another Bennie Anderson type signing

The #2 wide reciever position is tricky. Right now Lee Evans has above 40 percent of this offense's recieving yards. That is ridiculous. Price, Parrish, and Reed have not stood out at all and they all have similar numbers. We need to give JP more weapons. Eric Johnson is a pass catching tight end out of San Francisco, who probably wont be resigned due to Vernon Davis. I like him, but I also want to see more of Brad Cieslak, who has looked a little like Jay Riemersma to me the last few weeks. The Best free agent wideout is probably Drew Bennett, who would be a nice compliment to Lee, hes big and has great hands, however i see tennessee resigning him. In the draft, depending on how we finish, we may have a shot at Dewayne Jarrett, who would give us JP 2 first round targets to toss the ball to.

Now with Clements and Fletch as free agents, i want to see us resign BOTH of them, i know that might mean shelling out some bucks. I believe Clements is worth it, considering theres no one really out there to replace him and play at the same level as he does except for Asante Samuel, but with the season hes having he will want just as much money. Fletch is our d's leader, and he is having an outstanding season, and even though he is getting up there in age, he has at least 2 good years left.

With cap room to work with, and this team improving every week, i think if we play our cards right we can be a surprise team next year, in Marv I trust

Go Bills

Bufftp
12-04-2006, 12:13 PM
With cap room to work with, and this team improving every week, i think if we play our cards right we can be a surprise team next year,
Go Bills
If not, there is always the year after that......

xXSpIkes5IXx
12-04-2006, 12:14 PM
oh come on, im trying to be optimistic here

Bufftp
12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
oh come on, im trying to be optimistic here
so am I.

Meathead
12-04-2006, 12:47 PM
they can absolutely contend

theres a ton of rooks playing a lot who should be much better next year. i expect jp to round into form and ready to be an above average qb early next season

then it comes down to what they can do in facy and the draft. theyll have to find a clements replacement and maybe fletcher. most of the other ufas i think theyll be able to resign if they want to

so plenty of promise, just like 75% of the other teams

kernowboy
12-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Interesting suggestions.

I don't think we will sign both Clements and Fletcher. Both have been poor this season in spots but Clements has upside. With Fletcher having the devil as his agent I can see his demands being unrealistic. I can see us moving down into the 20s in R1 getting an extra day1 pick and getting Posluzny or Willis as his replacement. This also covers the possibility that TKO leaves and gives us a unit of Crowell-Draftpick-Ellison

At DT, there is nothing in FA. I don't want a Raiders DT, Robaire Smith is too old. I would like us to draft both Justin Harrell 6ft4 300lbs Tennessee and Damion DeRosia 6ft5 320lbs Saginaw Valley St. Both have reps as run stuffers

Sam Baker is small for an OT and IMO can't play the right side. I still have faith that either Pennington or Butler can be a player. I'd be happy to keep Peters on the left and draft Doug Free LT on Day1 R3 as he can cover if Peters gets injured. In a worse case scenario Peters could move inside and be the Joint best guard in the league with Steve Hutchinson. I can Steinbach going for silly silly money but Manuwai would be a good pick up.

Johnson can't block so a R2 TE would be good. Looks like Greg Olsen will fall to here so we should snap him up.

McGahee needs to be traded now before he leaves for nothing. The 2008 RB crop looks good so I would happily follow the A Train in 2007. I would approach the Jaguars and see if we can part them from a R2 in 2008. I would also like them to throw in Ernest Wilford who is hugely underated but is quick enough and big enough at 6ft4, 223lbs

I am concerned at the lack of starting calibre depth behind Simpson and Whitner so a Safety in the draft would be good. Eric Weddle can also play CB, he shut down Calvin Johnson last season

jamze132
12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
There won't be as many question marks heading into next season. if we can stay healthy, we should contend for a playoff spot. man, what happened to the good ole- days when we always made the playoffs? karma I guess.

ICE74129
12-04-2006, 02:41 PM
We will contend IF Ralph wilson understands he can't take his millions and his assets with him. He needs to come up with about 45-50 mill for signing bonuses this offseason and he just doesnt' have it. We also need to guarantee more contracts and spend about 30 of the 33 mill available (most of it on the OL, DL) for us to contend next year.

Statman
12-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Why should anything change when the core philosophy is the reason why we aren't good to begin with?

For us to win, the following has to happen:

1. Jauron must become a winning coach.

2. Fairchild has to turn one of last season's worst offenses that he made worse into an average one or better.

3. We have to be able to stop the run. Why will that happen? We are now 29th in rushing ypg allowed. We were first at the beginning of the season.

4. We will have to be able to run. McGahee led the league at one point. Now we're 29th and McGahee's 25th. He's 40th in ypc.

5. Levy has to get a clue at 81.

6. People have to stop continuing to make excuses for what's really wrong with this team, wake up and smell the coffee.

Is all that going to happen? Why would it?

Talk is cheap.

Bling
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
If not, there is always the year after that......

And the year after that.

**** that mentality. You should be contending every year.

YardRat
12-04-2006, 06:03 PM
As far as I'm concerned, we're still contending this year. We haven't been mathematically eliminated yet, have we?

Historian
12-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Need to do better against the run, obviously, but I think they've turned a corner.

Four solid efforts in a row.

Finish the slate this strong, (win or lose) and I'll be convinced that we will contend next year.