PDA

View Full Version : Willis actually blocked pretty well yesterday

Mitchy moo
12-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I watched Willis blow up more than one yesterday and Merriman kept running right at him. Willis let him by on the first JP INT but in general he really blocked well and I was impressed.

OpIv37
12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
too bad he didn't run worth a damn.

Inetpub
12-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Was the gameplan to run? He only had 16 carries. Not alot of carries and when your playing catch up, you dont run unless you got LT. Even then, when you are behind, running isnt an option.

I think the combination of being behind early and gameplan made got us airing it out more than relying on the run.

OpIv37
12-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Was the gameplan to run? He only had 16 carries. Not alot of carries and when your playing catch up, you dont run unless you got LT. Even then, when you are behind, running isnt an option.

I think the combination of being behind early and gameplan made got us airing it out more than relying on the run.

2 points: if he had run better early in the game, we wouldn't have had to abandon the run so early. And early in the second half, it was 17-14. You don't exactly have to air it out to catch up when you're down by 3 with 20+ minutes to play.

Inetpub
12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
2 points: if he had run better early in the game, we wouldn't have had to abandon the run so early. And early in the second half, it was 17-14. You don't exactly have to air it out to catch up when you're down by 3 with 20+ minutes to play.
We were behind 17-0 at one time. We scored 14 points in 3rd quarter. So yes we were behind by alot and yes they did abandon it early. When we were behind by only 3, that was already half the game lost where Mcgahee had no chance to do anything. Before the half he had only rushed 7 times. When we got the scores and were still down, we still only allowed him 9 tries. By then, we were already down by 10 again as SD had scored another TD and so we went back to the pass.

It wasnt until the last 30 seconds when we got our last TD of the game to get the score so close but we were behind by 10 with time running out. We arent going to run it when we are behind by 10. So your down by 3 with 20+ minutes really doesnt work as an excuse because we were only down by 3 for less than a quarter.

OpIv37
12-04-2006, 02:10 PM
We were behind 17-0 at one time. We scored 14 points in 3rd quarter. So yes we were behind by alot and yes they did abandon it early. When we were behind by only 3, that was already half the game lost where Mcgahee had no chance to do anything. Before the half he had only rushed 7 times. When we got the scores and were still down, we still only allowed him 9 tries. By then, we were already down by 10 again as SD had scored another TD and so we went back to the pass.

It wasnt until the last 30 seconds when we got our last TD of the game to get the score so close but we were behind by 10. We arent going to run it when we are behind by 10. So your down by 3 with 20+ minutes really doesnt work as an excuse because we were only down by 3 for less than a quarter.

and how exactly does that justify his 1.6 YPC average? He was horrible yesterday.

Inetpub
12-04-2006, 02:19 PM
and how exactly does that justify his 1.6 YPC average? He was horrible yesterday.

I never said he played great. I just said the gameplan was to throw and that we abandoned the run early.

1.6 is crap. We all know it but really, if you arent running it often and your running constantly into brick walls then you cant blame the man. If the holes arent created then Mcgahee isnt going anywhere. This Oline might have improved with the changes, but from day 1, they still havent gotten the holes needed for any RB. Switching RBs? Even A-train (whos numbers are better) still doesnt have amazing numbers. We dont make holes through the middle and as we all know, Fairchild loves running down the middle.

1.6 Yard? Yep crap but Mcgahee isnt the reason Buffalo lost. He surely didnt help though.

Mitchy moo
12-04-2006, 02:26 PM
He gets no cred for running yards here but he blocked well and gave JP some time to pass.

OpIv37
12-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I never said he played great. I just said the gameplan was to throw and that we abandoned the run early.

1.6 is crap. We all know it but really, if you arent running it often and your running constantly into brick walls then you cant blame the man. If the holes arent created then Mcgahee isnt going anywhere. This Oline might have improved with the changes, but from day 1, they still havent gotten the holes needed for any RB. Switching RBs? Even A-train (whos numbers are better) still doesnt have amazing numbers. We dont make holes through the middle and as we all know, Fairchild loves running down the middle.

1.6 Yard? Yep crap but Mcgahee isnt the reason Buffalo lost. He surely didnt help though.

I'll agree with you on that. McGahee could have played better, but that was true for most of the team yesterday.

Shuffling the OL helped the pass blocking, but didn't do much with the run blocking.

BigBoltIke
12-04-2006, 02:29 PM

Willis had nothing to do with his success or failure yesterday. He never once had a hole to run through. If you want to give any RB a chance to have success you need to get an O-line that can run-block. I would recommend hiring the Chargers old O-line coach, Hal Hunter, who currently coaches the Miami O-line.

OpIv37
12-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Willis had nothing to do with his success or failure yesterday. He never once had a hole to run through. If you want to give any RB a chance to have success you need to get an O-line that can run-block. I would recommend hiring the Chargers old O-line coach, Hal Hunter, who currently coaches the Miami O-line.

you're onto something but not entirely right. The OL definitely didn't do Willis any favors yesterday. But Willis also danced too much- there were several times when he could have had 2-3 yards by just pushing ahead, but instead he waited for a hole that never came and got 0. I don't think it would have made a huge difference in the game, but he could have had 2.5 YPC or so instead of 1.6 if he would have just put his head down and ran.