PDA

View Full Version : Has the Free Agency market for DE got better?

kernowboy
12-05-2006, 02:01 AM
All are aware that Freeney is scheduled to be available but there will be a sharks feeding freenzy if the Colts don't franchise him.

However according to ESPN these other players may be available. Considering oppoosite Schobel we have Kelsay, Denney or Hargrove I wonder if any of these guys would be a decent upgrade

Patrick Kerney, Falcons 6ft5, 273lbs age 29
Justin Smith, Bengals 6ft4 270lbs age 27
Charles Grant, Saints 6ft3 290lbs age 28

Personally a big bid for Kerney and a 4 years contract merit more than just a passing thought. He is a talented, hard working, character player in the mold Marv likes with more than a very strong hint of Phil Hansen

I'd be happy with Vince Manuwai over Eric Steinbach if the pay off is resigning Nate and signing Patrick

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2006, 02:05 AM
We need a DE who is versatile enough to pass rush and tackle. That would be HUGE.

clumping platelets
12-05-2006, 03:15 AM
If I had my choice, it would be Justin Smith

kernowboy
12-05-2006, 07:19 AM
If I had my choice, it would be Justin Smith

I think Grant has a rep for a little laziness. Smith is good but I'm not sure if he is a LE. All I will say about Patrick Kerney is that he has been a top end since 1999, and is as hard as they come. Any DT lining up alongside him especially a young player or rookie will be automatically twice as good because of the experience. I would happily pay Kerney $6m a season on a 4 year deal

On the OG issue, I think Vince Manuwai would be a good replacement for Villarial. If Gandy doesn't sign I could live with letting Reyes getting fit and coming back or even starting Aaron Merz there

BillsFanUK
12-05-2006, 01:26 PM
All are aware that Freeney is scheduled to be available but there will be a sharks feeding freenzy if the Colts don't franchise him.

However according to ESPN these other players may be available. Considering oppoosite Schobel we have Kelsay, Denney or Hargrove I wonder if any of these guys would be a decent upgrade

Personally a big bid for Kerney and a 4 years contract merit more than just a passing thought. He is a talented, hard working, character player in the mold Marv likes with more than a very strong hint of Phil Hansen

I'd be happy with Vince Manuwai over Eric Steinbach if the pay off is resigning Nate and signing Patrick

I'd go for either Patrick Kerney or Justin Smith
then we should look for an upgrade at the DT tackle and try to get a run stopper

clumping platelets
12-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Justin Smith can play RDE..........I've seen Schobel play LDE. He's "Hansen" reincarnated. so move him over. Hargrove and Denney can provide solid depth. I think Kelsay would have been resigned by now if he were staying

Grant is somewhat inconsistent. I like Kerney but feel Justin Smith has more long term potential.

realdealryan
12-06-2006, 05:23 AM
Shouldn't DE be like #8 on the upgrade list?

kernowboy
12-06-2006, 02:10 PM
yes but the DT market is very poor. However having a top LE could help the DTs. We shouldn't overpay for rubbish but can grab a top performer if they become available

realdealryan
12-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Depends on the defensive scheme, though, too. I would be happier looking to solidify the LB situation for the future and making sure we don't find ourselves with McGee as our #1 corner.

The last buffalo fan
12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
yes but the DT market is very poor. However having a top LE could help the DTs. We shouldn't overpay for rubbish but can grab a top performer if they become available

Not always, and not against every offense. You can see the Colts case.

Nighthawk
12-06-2006, 07:47 PM

Of those players, Charles Grant is the only one that excites me. Very good player.