PDA

View Full Version : Tampa 2

jamze132
12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I really don't understand this whole Tampa 2 thing. I mean I understand the actual play of and it's concept. I don't understand why we can't have a DT that is fat or a LB that is big.

Why would I want a LB who is smaller than most RBs? Why do i want a small DT who is being mauled by 300lb guards?

They use small DTs since they are faster? That really is dumb. Why not get big guys are are fast? Why not get big LBs who are fast? I can guarantee that if we had Sam Adams in the middle, we wouldn't be about the worst team in footbal at stopping the run, and our pass rush wouldn't be much different if at all than it is now. I understand the "theory" that a little speedy DT can break through and get "penetration" but let's be real here. It makes much more sense to have a guy who is big get "penetration" so he isn't being thrown around like a little ***** by centers and guards.

That is why we can't stop the run. The O-lines can move our little guys wherever the **** they want to and make a big ass hole that guys named Samkon Gado? can run through all day.

And having little speedy LBs with no size to meet blockers is about as dumb as the University of Miami's graduate program for footbal players.

The scheme itself isn't bad but if we increased our size and played a different version of the Tamp 2, then it would be ok.

And say what you want about Chicago's little D-lineman and then look at there LB corps and tell me why they stop the run AND the pass. They are good sized and fast which is what we need. Takeo was perfect for this type of play before he got hurt and Fletch ain't getting any younger. I really love Crowell. But not Coy ****ing Wire.

mchurchfie
12-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, every team uses our quickness and penetration against us and we take ourselves right out of the play and the RB blows right by them. Either that or if a team just decides to play powerup, smashmouth football against us they maul our undersize DL. I'm not sold on the whole concept either. In Tampa when they were the most successful they had Warren Sapp and he isn't small by any means.

jamze132
12-06-2006, 03:29 AM
Unfortunately, every team uses our quickness and penetration against us and we take ourselves right out of the play and the RB blows right by them. Either that or if a team just decides to play powerup, smashmouth football against us they maul our undersize DL. I'm not sold on the whole concept either. In Tampa when they were the most successful they had Warren Sapp and he isn't small by any means.
Exactly. Why can't we have someone who is big clogging up a gap?

kernowboy
12-06-2006, 03:43 AM
too much is made of stopwatch speed and not enough of game speed and intelligence.

there are two ways to penetrate into the backfield .. either beat your opponent or be massive enough to throw him out the way like a rag doll.

Looking at how the draft went last year, I still think that although Whitner has done very well, Haloti Ngata would have been a huge plus. A number of fans are advocationg Alan Branch but I don't think he's any better than Ngata and we could have had Ngata in the system for a year.

We could then have taken Jimmy Williams, Daniel Bullocks, Danieal Manning, Roman Harper or Bernard Pollard all of whom might have been a serviceable SS. I really like Donte but .................................

YardRat
12-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Size AND speed is a special combination...not every player = Sapp or Urlacher.

jamze132
12-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Size AND speed is a special combination...not every player = Sapp or Urlacher.
I agree but I would say generally speaking it is harder for an O-lineman to move a 350lb DT than a 300lb DT.