PDA

View Full Version : 5,1,3,5 is ok if you have the guys to run it...

ICE74129
12-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Marv and co are pushing this '1 gap' defense and hoping to use speed instead of bulk to penetrate and stop the run.

traditionally you have a the ends at a 5 technque, then a DT at a 1 and a 3. Problem is zone blocking cancles that out even with speed unless you have a guy that can push the pocket and we dont.

I hate when a team says they are going to adapt this system and not be willing to adapt. the old tampa 2 worked in say 2000, but so many are trying to run it now teams have adapted.

We need to cut the crap this offseason and get a 325lb DT ( and another one his size to rotate in) to start next to tripplet. the other guys (even our first rounder) can rotate.

This team is now losing because of the defense, YES the DEFENSE. Run and STOP THE RUN is the key to winning football and we are giving up HUGE numbers to nobodies in the run game.

OL and DL MUST be the priorities this offseason,

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't disagree. I don't mind the Tampa 2 in certain situations, but we need to install different 4-3 schemes into our defense as well. I would like to see an Oakland or Baltimore type of defense here.

Kerr
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Agreed. This team needs a huge porker in the middle to stuff the run. I'm tired of this cover 2 crap already. I wonder though if the defensive personnel that was drafted this year can play in another system other than cover 2.

ICE74129
12-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Marv is obcessed with the Chicago Defense. The problem is Tommie Harris isn't on this team. There are few Cats in the NFL that at Harris' weight, can dominate 325+ lb Guards.

But marv needs to see even Chicago makes changes thoughout the game in how the D Front lines up.

madness
12-05-2006, 11:46 AM
No Cover 2 was an instant success after it was implemented, especially on run D. Stats show though, each year it will progress. Patience.

ICE74129
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
No Cover 2 was an instant success after it was implemented, especially on run D. Stats show though, each year it will progress. Patience. No it won't. You must have the guys to run it and we don't. Also like anything else, there is no magic bullet. Teams are adjusting to it so teams like chicago are starting to make changes.

Saratoga Slim
12-05-2006, 02:51 PM
No it won't. You must have the guys to run it and we don't. Also like anything else, there is no magic bullet. Teams are adjusting to it so teams like chicago are starting to make changes.

we've had exactly one offseason to get the guys to run it. I think we're only a couple players away from running it very well. Don't think Marv and Co aren't noticing the fact that we can't stop the run. That and the OL will be priorities this offseason.