• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

To fix this defense use the 'X' formula

X = both DT's, then Middle LB, then Both safetys. If you look at our D from a sky view you understand what I am saying.

We lack the Big DT for starters. Fletcher is too undersized for this defense so he needs to be upgraded as well.

The safetys need to be athletic and we have those. I feel if we address DT and ILB (and some revamping at OLB) we can make drastic improvements but only if Marv and Co are willing to bring in a couple big maulers at DT. One to start next to tripplet, and one to rotate in with the other mauler.

Re: To fix this defense use the 'X' formula

I think the problem is the DTs this year in the draft are comparatively small unless the Juniors come out and then we risk overpaying for them. There is not a lot in FA at the moment either ... I hate getting players on the downside of their careers, prefering to go with youth and the best UFA at present is Ian Scott of the Bears. In the draft a guy with a good run stop rep is Justin Harrell who plays hurt and is a character guy. He's 6.4 and 300lbs but could add another 15lbs. from the small schools there is the Saginaw Valley St NT Damion DeRosia at 6.5 and 320lbs

At LB there are few top LBs and teams will seriously overpay. I would look at drafting Posluzny or Willis in R1. Both can play ILB or OLB and could swap during the game with Crowell to at least confuse the opposition

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy
      I think the problem is the DTs this year in the draft are comparatively small unless the Juniors come out and then we risk overpaying for them. There is not a lot in FA at the moment either ... I hate getting players on the downside of their careers, prefering to go with youth and the best UFA at present is Ian Scott of the Bears. In the draft a guy with a good run stop rep is Justin Harrell who plays hurt and is a character guy. He's 6.4 and 300lbs but could add another 15lbs. from the small schools there is the Saginaw Valley St NT Damion DeRosia at 6.5 and 320lbs

At LB there are few top LBs and teams will seriously overpay. I would look at drafting Posluzny or Willis in R1. Both can play ILB or OLB and could swap during the game with Crowell to at least confuse the opposition
      There was at least one DT in this last draft that would have worked for us...

Comment

• eyedog
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
        There was at least one DT in this last draft that would have worked for us...
        Yeah but he 'didn't fit the system". Instead we got these d-tackles that "fit the system" but they all suck and can't stop anybody's running game. Game after game it's steamroll time. Personally I'm sick of this system and from what I can see the only team that succeds with it is Chicago. Indy sucks against the run also which is why they will lose in the play-offs against SDiego unless they put up 40+ points.

Comment

• BigBoltIke
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by eyedog
          Yeah but he 'didn't fit the system". Instead we got these d-tackles that "fit the system" but they all suck and can't stop anybody's running game. Game after game it's steamroll time. Personally I'm sick of this system and from what I can see the only team that succeds with it is Chicago. Indy sucks against the run also which is why they will lose in the play-offs against SDiego unless they put up 40+ points.
          The funny part is that 40 probably isn't enough against the Chargers.

Current AFC Standings

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by eyedog
            See thats what gets me. the 'Tampa 2' is sucking for the guy that did the greatest to develop it (dungy in Indy) and in Tampa its self.

All things have their time. the WCO, The KGUN Etc. Teams adapt after a certain amount of time. You can keep basicly the same idea but you need to adapt

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Why can't we adapt the Tampa-2 and change our Dline such that they are all run stoppers. If we have a fast, athletic secondary...run stoppers at the Line would seem ideal. You can't run, you are forced to pass, and our athletic, fast secondary can handle you (maybe even with some speedy LBs help).

Seems like it's ideal to have some run stuffers clogging the whole line and forcing other teams to have to resort to throwing. Especially in western NY where it can be snowing, windy, etc.

I'll just never understand why we don't do that instead...

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Why can't we adapt the Tampa-2 and change our Dline such that they are all run stoppers. If we have a fast, athletic secondary...run stoppers at the Line would seem ideal. You can't run, you are forced to pass, and our athletic, fast secondary can handle you (maybe even with some speedy LBs help).

Seems like it's ideal to have some run stuffers clogging the whole line and forcing other teams to have to resort to throwing. Especially in western NY where it can be snowing, windy, etc.

I'll just never understand why we don't do that instead...
                Pro teams get away from football 101 and try to make it harder than it is. Strong fast guys in the 5 position, bulk/ Strength in the 1&3. Strength and size at ILB, speed and athleticism at both OLB's, CB and Safety.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Fletcher too small? In a Cover 2 you want small, fast LB's. What are you talking about?

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                    Fletcher too small? In a Cover 2 you want small, fast LB's. What are you talking about?
                    gr8slayer, I just laugh at the people that say Fletcher doesn't fit the tampa 2. Fletch is practically the prototype for the tampa 2.

Comment

• eyedog
                      • Jul 2002

That's the whole point, the Tampa-2 sucks ass in case you haven't noticed this year. big deal if Fletcher fits this scheme, the scheme sucks.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

the trick is the tampa 2 needs a big tall fast FS... a lot of our defensive pass breakdowns are due to our FS playing out of possition being a step behind.

You need faster OLBs then we have... (though spikes pre-injury was probably fast enough), or the 15-20 yard out, WR post, and WR slants will eat you alive (as they have), and interestingly i think fletch is too slow these days, because he's been eaten alive by the TE skinny post...

Overall, we need the DTs... faster backers... and a new FS to make it work...

Tampa 2 worked because they had Brooks, two playmaking CBs, Lynch, a tall fast FS, and a d-line that could get serious pressure with just 4 rushers.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                          gr8slayer, I just laugh at the people that say Fletcher doesn't fit the tampa 2. Fletch is practically the prototype for the tampa 2.
                          He is just a Derrick Brooks with fifteen more pounds on him.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

fletch is ideal for it.. .3 years ago... he's a step or two slower this year.

And Brooks is an OLB not a MLB
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                              fletch is ideal for it.. .3 years ago... he's a step or two slower this year.

And Brooks is an OLB not a MLB
                              MLB and OLB are practically the same position in the Cover 2. The C2 is all about SPEED SPEED SPEED in every area.

Comment

Working...
                              X